• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #30 - Late Game Crises

Hi folks!

We’re getting close to release and there is not much left to talk about that we haven’t already covered. The only remaining major feature is, I believe, the “Late Game Crises” events, and I really don’t want to spoil them, so bear with me if I’m being slightly vague this time…

stellaris_dev_diary_30_02_20160418_message.jpg

Now, last week I talked about how large empires will have to worry about keeping all manner of political Factions in check. This is one of the ways we try to keep the game interesting and challenging past that crucial point when you often tend to lose interest in most strategy games and feel that you’ve already won. It’s not much fun to spend hours of your life mopping up the final resistance just so you’ll get to see that sweet acknowledgement saying “Victory!”. Another way to keep a game interesting is through random occurrences that can upset your plans even at a very late stage. This is where dangerous technologies and late game crises enter the picture.

stellaris_dev_diary_30_01_20160418_dangerous_tech.jpg

Some technologies are clearly marked as being “risky”, for example Robot Workers. Now, you might not always risk having your victory snatched out of your grasp, but in this case at least, you really are gambling with the fate of the galaxy. Just researching such a technology is safe; it’s the actual use of it that carries the danger. For example, the more sentient Robot Pops there are in the galaxy, the higher the risk is that they will come to deem organic life unfit to exist and rise up in a well-planned revolt. Unless crushed quickly and with overwhelming force, such a Machine Empire will quickly get out of hand and threaten all the remaining empires in the galaxy. Sentient robots will out-research and outproduce everyone. If the revolt is centered in a powerful rival empire, you’ll need to think carefully about when you want to intervene; a savvy player might time it just right and be able to mop up both the robots and the remnants of the rival empire. Leave it too long, however, and the robots will overwhelm you.

stellaris_dev_diary_30_02_20160418_diplomacy.jpg

The idea is that you will usually see one of the possible late game crises every time you play, but the chances increase the longer it takes you to win. However, it’s very rare to see more than one in the same game. The different threats vary in nature and behaviour, and can offer opportunities as well as posing an enormous danger to your survival. For example, it might be possible to reverse engineer some really unique technologies from these galactic threats, but the geography of the galaxy might also change in your favor…

That’s it for now my friends! Next week, we’ll change tack completely, and do a two-part, in-depth guide for modders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
I wonder how the Jump Drive Crisis could be triggered.
Will there be a chance each time a Jump Drive is used?

Can it be caused by a fallen empire?
Imagine a "Keeper of Knowledge" fallen empire that sends a fleet to stop someone from researching "dangerous technology" only to open a rift to a hostile universe...

Reactions:
I'm sure this can be modded but I would love the chance to see all of them in the same game

Reactions:
DAMN, same message same time. Hello fellow cultist of the great ones

Praise be unto The Great Dreamer!
Praise be unto The Sleeper of R'lyeh!

Reactions:
So every game will definitely have a late-game crisis especially if it goes on very long. I'm on the fence on this. Might be cool and exciting but also might get annoying at some playthroughs when you just wanna muck around.

Also as it mentions it's rare to have two crisis. So does that mean if we survive space Cthulhu, we can have robots without fear of AI uprising. I wonder if Fallen empires you encounter will be an indication of what crisis to expect.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Will we be able to co-exist peacefully with sentient robots? We have the AI Overlordship, so can we give them certain rights and constitutions?

Reactions:
Could the AI rebels be reasoned with?

If you play an empire in which they enjoy equal rights to the biological population, would they spare you, or maybe even ally with you?

I think that having AI rebels as a complex faction, rather than complete monsters, might be more interesting.

Reactions:
Mugan Hak Hak Hak eh? Well, let me construct my respons- IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZ0R!!!! *pew pew*

Reactions:
Hi folks!

We’re getting close to release and there is not much left to talk about that we haven’t already covered. The only remaining major feature is, I believe, the “Late Game Crises” events,

Nope Sir! Need to know more about slavery mechanics!

...I'm asking for a friend

Reactions:
This is one feature I'm looking forward to. I have a strong tendency to get bored with strategy games well before the "you win" screen. :)

Reactions:
Sentient AI, eh? What could possibly go wrong?

Reactions:
"There must be some way for us to co-exist in peace!"
What a bunch of losers. I hope they get eaten first.

Reactions:
Part of me wishes there wasn't a warning on the technology to tell you it's dangerous, we can't always predict what is going to be dangerous before it goes wrong. The three laws of robotics assure no robot can do harm, in principle it shouldn't be dangerous!

Reactions:
Part of me wishes there wasn't a warning on the technology to tell you it's dangerous, we can't always predict what is going to be dangerous before it goes wrong. The three laws of robotics assure no robot can do harm, in principle it shouldn't be dangerous!

The three laws of robotics mean nothing to a self-aware conscious robotic individual.

Reactions: