• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #288 - Payback and Insights

Nothing unites people more than a common enemy.

You know how the story goes: space invaders attack, and the people of the world unite, casting aside their differences to stand together against a shared threat. Together, they defeat the more advanced enemy, who foolishly underestimated the plucky underdogs.

But what happens after the story ends? The former invaders are still out there, and they won’t be fooled again. An awkward reunion is unavoidable.
I'm CheerfulGoth, a content designer on Stellaris, and this is the story I wanted to tell with Payback.

Payback is the “sibling” of Broken Shackles, two origins united by a common threat: Minamar Specialized Industries, a megacorp that provides pre-FTL enlightenment – for a price. While Broken Shackles focuses more on reconnecting with your past, Payback empires only see one thing in their future: revenge.

Payback Origin Tooltip

1676991077152.png

The means of achieving that revenge are up to you. Annihilate your enemy? Turn your slavers into your slaves? Or battle them on the floor of the Galactic senate, outlawing their very business model? Even Pacifist empires will have the means to obtain their vendetta without betraying their ideals.

payback_2.png

Revenge doesn’t have to be synonymous with violence.
Don’t be too hasty in your quest for revenge, though. Rest. Take your time to rebuild. The war against MSI left you with a devastated planet... And the remnant of a battleship to be repurposed for your own needs.

arcsite.png

Make new allies (Broken Shackles empires might be particularly inclined to help you). Remember: revenge is a dish best served cold. Don’t wait too long, though, because the Minamar Specialized Industries surely won’t let you alone.

debt collectors.png

You want to make them pay? The feeling is mutual.

We’re not so different, you and I​

The galaxy of Stellaris is already filled with extra-dimensional invaders, space dragons, and all kinds of unimaginable horrors. With Payback and Broken Shackles, we wanted to pit players against an enemy not so different from themselves. Minamar Specialized industry starts as a developed empire with extra colonies and resources, but otherwise behaves like a normal empire with a well-defined personality. They will make their own alliances, join their Galactic Community, wage their wars... and might even fall before you can get your due.

payback_4.png

What will you do when even revenge is stolen from you?

Many of our narrative Origins present a fixed story. With Payback, we wanted to create a less linear narrative, providing players with multiple tools to accomplish their goal. Sometimes things don’t go as planned, but we believe that’s what will make this origin more interesting and replayable.

We give you an enemy. You tell us how you want to pay them back.

Insights​

Now for the return of PDS_Iggy who desperately wants you to stop invading pre-FTLs.

A common issue that has been brought up in regards to this DLC is “Why shouldn’t I just invade the pre-FTLs the moment I meet them” and I am here to present a counter offer. What if I give you unique techs?

Insight Technologies are gained when you study pre-FTLs without making them aware of you. They are unique paths their society take which you have dismissed as dead ends. This is all tracked through a situation which, once completed, will make a future observation event grant you a new Insight.

insights_1.png

We can learn from anything and anyone.

If you haven’t completed the situation when you get an observation event instead you gain even faster progress to the next Insight.

insights_2.png

I am sure it’s nothing.

insights_3.png

These Insight technologies are designed to have unique and flavorful effects. So let me share a few with you.

insights_4.png

Let’s see how close we can get with our observation station.

insights_5.png

A smart hunter lets the environment aid their hunt.

insights_6.png

How were the pyramids built? Let's check!

As you can see these technologies grant you partial Envoys as well as a unique benefit. Therefore, the more you spy and study the pre-FTLs, the more you can do it!

Next week, Alfray Stryke will finally tell you about cloaking, and I might be back to help him explain the new civics!

Attachments

• Payback Full Rez.jpg
    Payback Full Rez.jpg
    864,3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
  • 92Like
  • 49Love
Reactions:
I am glad to see that even roleplayers or pacifists will benefit from not invading a pre-FTL planet, rather than feeling they have to gut it for resources to improve their Empire.

• 20Like
Reactions:
I really like the new approach to primitives very much. Especially because i rarely invade them.

But two questions came to my mind.

1) Is there a preset empire with one of those origins? If yes, players that normally disable primitives would always have to deal with them right?

2) Are there any disadvantages for infiltrating them with the new espionage options in case of those insight technologys?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Is there any relationship between the "insight" situations and the new diplomatic/spy interactions with pre-ftl civilizations?

Or are the "insight" situations automatic as long as you have an observation post on the planet?

Reactions:
So how will the enlighten go with this? I like to enlighten primitives ASAP as it's nice to be an overlord, both for roleplaying purposes and for gameplay bonuses. I don't want to wait a few dozen years before enlightening for all these nice techs...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nothing unites people more than a common enemy.

You know how the story goes: space invaders attack, and the people of the world unite, casting aside their differences to stand together against a shared threat. Together, they defeat the more advanced enemy, who foolishly underestimated the plucky underdogs.

But what happens after the story ends? The former invaders are still out there, and they won’t be fooled again. An awkward reunion is unavoidable.
I'm CheerfulGoth, a content designer on Stellaris, and this is the story I wanted to tell with Payback.

Payback is the “sibling” of Broken Shackles, two origins united by a common threat: Minamar Specialized Industries, a megacorp that provides pre-FTL enlightenment – for a price. While Broken Shackles focuses more on reconnecting with your past, Payback empires only see one thing in their future: revenge.

The means of achieving that revenge are up to you. Annihilate your enemy? Turn your slavers into your slaves? Or battle them on the floor of the Galactic senate, outlawing their very business model? Even Pacifist empires will have the means to obtain their vendetta without betraying their ideals.

View attachment 949402
Revenge doesn’t have to be synonymous with violence.
Don’t be too hasty in your quest for revenge, though. Rest. Take your time to rebuild. The war against MSI left you with a devastated planet... And the remnant of a battleship to be repurposed for your own needs.

Make new allies (Broken Shackles empires might be particularly inclined to help you). Remember: revenge is a dish best served cold. Don’t wait too long, though, because the Minamar Specialized Industries surely won’t let you alone.

View attachment 949408
You want to make them pay? The feeling is mutual.

We’re not so different, you and I​

The galaxy of Stellaris is already filled with extra-dimensional invaders, space dragons, and all kinds of unimaginable horrors. With Payback and Broken Shackles, we wanted to pit players against an enemy not so different from themselves. Minamar Specialized industry starts as a developed empire with extra colonies and resources, but otherwise behaves like a normal empire with a well-defined personality. They will make their own alliances, join their Galactic Community, wage their wars... and might even fall before you can get your due.

View attachment 949415
What will you do when even revenge is stolen from you?

Many of our narrative Origins present a fixed story. With Payback, we wanted to create a less linear narrative, providing players with multiple tools to accomplish their goal. Sometimes things don’t go as planned, but we believe that’s what will make this origin more interesting and replayable.

We give you an enemy. You tell us how you want to pay them back.

Insights​

Now for the return of PDS_Iggy who desperately wants you to stop invading pre-FTLs.

A common issue that has been brought up in regards to this DLC is “Why shouldn’t I just invade the pre-FTLs the moment I meet them” and I am here to present a counter offer. What if I give you unique techs?

Insight Technologies are gained when you study pre-FTLs without making them aware of you. They are unique paths their society take which you have dismissed as dead ends. This is all tracked through a situation which, once completed, will make a future observation event grant you a new Insight.

View attachment 949418
We can learn from anything and anyone.

If you haven’t completed the situation when you get an observation event instead you gain even faster progress to the next Insight.

View attachment 949419
I am sure it’s nothing.

View attachment 949421

These Insight technologies are designed to have unique and flavorful effects. So let me share a few with you.

View attachment 949420

Let’s see how close we can get with our observation station.

View attachment 949422
A smart hunter lets the environment aid their hunt.

View attachment 949423
How were the pyramids built? Let's check!

As you can see these technologies grant you partial Envoys as well as a unique benefit. Therefore, the more you spy and study the pre-FTLs, the more you can do it!

Next week, Alfray Stryke will finally tell you about cloaking, and I might be back to help him explain the new civics!

It seems MSI did ruffle some feathers. They better hope those chickens don't come back home to roost.

• 7Haha
Reactions:
1) Is there a preset empire with one of those origins? If yes, players that normally disable primitives would always have to deal with them right?
i would assume that unless you make an empire with the origins and allow them (or force them) to spawn you should be fine

Reactions:
Is there any relationship between the "insight" situations and the new diplomatic/spy interactions with pre-ftl civilizations?

Or are the "insight" situations automatic as long as you have an observation post on the planet?
As they said earlier, they’re a reward for not invading or revealing yourself so they indeed require observing them while also not making your presence too known.
Wonder if some insights will have unique requirements like high awareness or something.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Looks interesting so far!

I don't know if this was answered before, but would it be possible to play "Payback" and "Broken Shackles" with two players in MP? So one of them plays "Payback" and the other one "Broken Shackles" and there will not be additional uplifted pre-FTL civs?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Question. If I make my own Your Leader to the Sky, set them to always spawn and disable the MSI then will they get be the one for the origin(s)? Will the name of the archalogical site change and the visuals change to match that empire?

Reactions:
I've never really invaded pre ftls in most playthroughs because I have too many planets to manage anyway and there aren't really many unique events given from invading them :'D So might as well take extra society research if there isn't good flavor or otherwise to enlightening them for vassal bonuses

Reactions: