• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #288 - Payback and Insights

Nothing unites people more than a common enemy.

You know how the story goes: space invaders attack, and the people of the world unite, casting aside their differences to stand together against a shared threat. Together, they defeat the more advanced enemy, who foolishly underestimated the plucky underdogs.

But what happens after the story ends? The former invaders are still out there, and they won’t be fooled again. An awkward reunion is unavoidable.
I'm CheerfulGoth, a content designer on Stellaris, and this is the story I wanted to tell with Payback.

Payback is the “sibling” of Broken Shackles, two origins united by a common threat: Minamar Specialized Industries, a megacorp that provides pre-FTL enlightenment – for a price. While Broken Shackles focuses more on reconnecting with your past, Payback empires only see one thing in their future: revenge.

Payback Origin Tooltip

1676991077152.png

The means of achieving that revenge are up to you. Annihilate your enemy? Turn your slavers into your slaves? Or battle them on the floor of the Galactic senate, outlawing their very business model? Even Pacifist empires will have the means to obtain their vendetta without betraying their ideals.

payback_2.png

Revenge doesn’t have to be synonymous with violence.
Don’t be too hasty in your quest for revenge, though. Rest. Take your time to rebuild. The war against MSI left you with a devastated planet... And the remnant of a battleship to be repurposed for your own needs.

arcsite.png

Make new allies (Broken Shackles empires might be particularly inclined to help you). Remember: revenge is a dish best served cold. Don’t wait too long, though, because the Minamar Specialized Industries surely won’t let you alone.

debt collectors.png

You want to make them pay? The feeling is mutual.

We’re not so different, you and I​

The galaxy of Stellaris is already filled with extra-dimensional invaders, space dragons, and all kinds of unimaginable horrors. With Payback and Broken Shackles, we wanted to pit players against an enemy not so different from themselves. Minamar Specialized industry starts as a developed empire with extra colonies and resources, but otherwise behaves like a normal empire with a well-defined personality. They will make their own alliances, join their Galactic Community, wage their wars... and might even fall before you can get your due.

payback_4.png

What will you do when even revenge is stolen from you?

Many of our narrative Origins present a fixed story. With Payback, we wanted to create a less linear narrative, providing players with multiple tools to accomplish their goal. Sometimes things don’t go as planned, but we believe that’s what will make this origin more interesting and replayable.

We give you an enemy. You tell us how you want to pay them back.

Insights​

Now for the return of PDS_Iggy who desperately wants you to stop invading pre-FTLs.

A common issue that has been brought up in regards to this DLC is “Why shouldn’t I just invade the pre-FTLs the moment I meet them” and I am here to present a counter offer. What if I give you unique techs?

Insight Technologies are gained when you study pre-FTLs without making them aware of you. They are unique paths their society take which you have dismissed as dead ends. This is all tracked through a situation which, once completed, will make a future observation event grant you a new Insight.

insights_1.png

We can learn from anything and anyone.

If you haven’t completed the situation when you get an observation event instead you gain even faster progress to the next Insight.

insights_2.png

I am sure it’s nothing.

insights_3.png

These Insight technologies are designed to have unique and flavorful effects. So let me share a few with you.

insights_4.png

Let’s see how close we can get with our observation station.

insights_5.png

A smart hunter lets the environment aid their hunt.

insights_6.png

How were the pyramids built? Let's check!

As you can see these technologies grant you partial Envoys as well as a unique benefit. Therefore, the more you spy and study the pre-FTLs, the more you can do it!

Next week, Alfray Stryke will finally tell you about cloaking, and I might be back to help him explain the new civics!

Attachments

• Payback Full Rez.jpg
    Payback Full Rez.jpg
    864,3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
  • 92Like
  • 49Love
Reactions:
No, I'm not being arrongant. I'm just tired of people complaining without reason and acting like they were at the center of the universe itself. He or others don't likes of the or do not have interest in this DLC? So why not simply click the "Respectfully Disagree" button and leave? Leave us enjoy this Dev Diary and ask for more info about the upcomin DLC in peace.
"no im not arrogant" is most likely something one says when one is arrogant

its like saying "its nothing to worry about", guess what

NOW IM EVEN MORE WORRIED

• 2Haha
Reactions:
the fact that purifiers dont have reasons for their base gameplay AND how much content they lose just by being purifiers (compounded if gestalt btw, which is already a MAJOR issue for machines as i said time and time again,and why paradox will always be unable to balance them propperly) is the problem

you DO in fact need a reason to kill everything, else the game becomes utterly freaking boring (one of the reasons why nemesis was such a win AND flop, thanks to its conclusion), again, especially compounded by the fact at how much focus stellaris has for diplomacy, and how things like warfare, technology, and international politics are woefully ignored, underdeveloped and or straight up non existent

again, see signature
Eh, machines and purifiers are superior

Just crush everyone, expand like crazy and enjoy the lack of food and consumer goods which massively simplifies and speeds up your economy

The only important thing you lose out on is the galactic market

Robots even have the least diplomacy restrictions out of the three genocide builds since all robots are friends

and with nemesis you even have an alternate victory method and don't have to literally solo the entire galaxy (minus the robots)

Reactions:
Eh, machines and purifiers are superior

Just crush everyone, expand like crazy and enjoy the lack of food and consumer goods which massively simplifies and speeds up your economy

The only important thing you lose out on is the galactic market

Robots even have the least diplomacy restrictions out of the three genocide builds since all robots are friends

and with nemesis you even have an alternate victory method and don't have to literally solo the entire galaxy (minus the robots)
im not talking about them being weaker or stronger, im talking about the fact that they dont have half of the mechanics (in the case of dexterminators even half of the RESSOURCES) to worry about. That means that all they do the entire game is "mine more ressources, get more tech, build more ships, repeat"

THATS why they cant be balanced, because they have nothing else to do but "pump ressources, and build ships", they have no goals, no interpolitics, no mechanics that need investment and controlling, nothing but "steamroll more and more"

which is incredibly boring and monotone from a gameplay perspective, not even mentioning rp

Reactions:
im not talking about them being weaker or stronger, im talking about the fact that they dont have half of the mechanics (in the case of dexterminators even half of the RESSOURCES) to worry about. That means that all they do the entire game is "mine more ressources, get more tech, build more ships, repeat"

THATS why they cant be balanced, because they have nothing else to do but "pump ressources, and build ships", they have no goals, no interpolitics, no mechanics that need investment and controlling, nothing but "steamroll more and more"

which is incredibly boring and monotone from a gameplay perspective, not even mentioning rp
they are balanced because even with robot friends you will be outnumbered eventually
also it makes sense that a highly specialized build leads to a rather specific playstyle

Reactions:
Exterminators and Purifiers are boring. Few are the people that would take their time playing like them. The great majority prefer roleplay instead and the militarist/fanatic militarits/xenophobes/fanatic xenophobes/authoritarian/F. authoritarian combo.

Reactions:
In these forums you must follow the herd of white sheep, if you separate from the herd as a black sheep, they stoned you with red X ... and remember to always count white sheep when you go to sleep ... 10 white sheep ... 100 white sheep ... 1000 white sheep ... 1 black sheep ... UPS! :p
"I'm right, and everyone who disagrees with me is a sheep!"

• 3Haha
Reactions:
you guys are arguing with the same people that said stellaris is a power fantasy game in this thread, it's a lost argument because they will never accept anything that doesn't help them minmax their empires by getting free pops from invading primitives or are chronically unable to play anything other than a very niche playstyle and are angry the game offers advantages to not doing so when studying them always been the main thematic behind primitives.
just ignore them and move on because this is sure as hell not gonna go anywhere productive.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
you guys are arguing with the same people that said stellaris is a power fantasy game in this thread, it's a lost argument because they will never accept anything that doesn't help them minmax their empires by getting free pops from invading primitives or are chronically unable to play anything other than a very niche playstyle and are angry the game offers advantages to not doing so when studying them always been the main thematic behind primitives.
just ignore them and move on because this is sure as hell not gonna go anywhere productive.
there is more to discussions than trying to convince the other side of something they dont agree with

Reactions:

I'm forced to agree 100% with you.

I forgot to ask, did the devs answer if you can get several insights out of a single primitive or can you only get one per observation post on the stream (or this thread if i missed it)?

I forgot to ask, did the devs answer if you can get several insights out of a single primitive or can you only get one per observation post on the stream (or this thread if i missed it)?
Considering that "missing" an insight speeds up yohr preparation phase I assume you can get more than one

"If you haven’t completed the situation when you get an observation event instead you gain even faster progress to the next Insight."

Reactions: