• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #284 - Broken Shackles

Free at Last!

I’m incredibly excited to introduce ‘Broken Shackles’, one of the new origins featured in the upcoming First Contact DLC.

Watch the Video Dev Diary here:

From the very beginning of the project, @Eladrin stressed the word ‘utopian’: First Contact celebrates the discovery of strange new worlds, and all the ways in which different cultures (and different species) interact with and support one another.

As I set out to design an origin for the DLC, this was the spirit and tone I was striving for. What’s more utopian than a rag-tag group of slaves who band together in a daring bid for freedom? Thrown together by the insidious Minamar Specialized Industries, these former indentured assets seize control of their captor’s ship and survive the chaotic crash landing on a habitable planet.

brokenshackles.png

You’ll have to make do with using the remains of your hijacked ship as infrastructure at the start of the game.

While the origin is challenging (players start out at a technological disadvantage, and will need to work hard before they can progress very far into space), a diverse population means that there is ample opportunity to colonize new worlds.

1674559516595.png

More species = better parties.

As your empire progresses, you will also have the opportunity to seek out each of your former home worlds. Reaching these planets not only represents a triumphant homecoming, but may also propel your people to new heights.

1674559548527.png

There’s no place like home.

However, not everything is peaches and cream. Different species mean diverse points of view, and the demands of various factions will need to be appeased if players hope to maximize the potential of their burgeoning empire.

Interactive Narrative

Broken Shackles represents a new paradigm for Stellaris origins: along with ‘Payback’, it comprises one half of a full story. But what’s a story without a good villain?

Enter Minamar Specialized Industries, or ‘MSI.’ This ‘benevolent corporation’ prides itself on helping ‘less developed societies’ reach their full potential. They kickstart development by loaning new technology to pre-FTL societies – loans provided at what they promise are very generous rates.

What happens when the bill comes due is another story. Indentured servitude is just one of MSI’s tools of debt collection.

1674559585085.png

“Enlightenment may not be free. But at MSI, it is always worth the cost.”

Why MSI?

1674559611505.png

Helmets in the boardroom.

Back in the earliest days of development, there was a discussion about how present the “evil slaver empire” would be. We decided on an advanced empire that can be stumbled across at any point in the game – sometimes they will spawn near your home cluster, while at others they show up on the far side of the galaxy. This random placement can have radical effects on a playthrough.

Initially, we envisioned the antagonist of ‘Broken Shackles’ and ‘Payback’ as a generic authoritarian slaver empire, but as the origins took shape, their motives and nature changed.

Minamar Specialized Industries styles itself a benevolent corporation that provides technological enlightenment for a nominal fee. Some might say that they take advantage of the naivety of the species they propel to the stars, but business is business. In any case, it’s likely that the rank and file at MSI believe the company line, even if the Board of Directors considers itself above such petty issues as morality.

In regards to their erstwhile assets, the ‘indentured servants’ who comprise the starting pops of the Broken Shackles origin, MSI claims not to hold any grudges. In fact, we intentionally shied away from styling MSI as ‘an ultimate evil’ that can’t be reasoned or dealt with. From the perspective of a Broken Shackles empire, MSI may indeed represent the worst instincts of sentient life, but to the rest of the galaxy they’re just another greedy Megacorp.

There isn’t much Megacorp related content in Stellaris in general, and what does exist is all locked behind the expansion of the same name. Playing with the ‘evil corporation’ trope allowed us to give MSI a distinct personality and flavor. To me, they feel like the perfect foil for a utopian origin, and I can’t wait for the release!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 127Like
  • 58Love
Reactions:
If you're going to give an origin this many starting species, though, I hope that there will be some UI improvements to the species tab. Mechanically it would go well with Xeno-Compatibility, but unfortunately the UI and performance issues have made that AP a no-no for many players.

It's probably too much to hope for for the 3.7 free update, but I really really really hope we get some UI and QoL improvements when it comes to species management. Especially when it comes to genemodding. Simply far too much micromanagement atm.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Challenging origin?
Yeah the species tab will be utter hell.
While it might be the primary benifit of the origin it's also going to be precisely the reason I won't play it regularly.
I absolutely loathe a messy species list and usually won't even sign migration treaties unless i'm min-maxing heavily, simply because of the damn UI clutter.

Will the patch come with a rework of the species list?

• 2Like
Reactions:
The Broken Shackles origin gives you a few pops of the species you create, adds your homeworld as a pre-FTL civilization, and then fills your planet up with other pre-FTL pops from across the galaxy.

How crazy your initial species list is depends largely on the galaxy settings - if you crank up the number of Pre-FTL worlds, then yeah, you may be running out of colors pretty early.

This one earned the title "Challenging" though - you start with a technological and infrastructural disadvantage, with an advanced empire out there that you hate, and it's quite possible that your other friends may be fish out of water, wholly unsuitable for life on, say, a desert planet. There are a number of advantages though, if you can pull everything together - with a diversity of species, you'll likely be able to colonize nearly anything you find, and the melting pot of your capital might benefit from the differing points of view.

• 24Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
I'm not a big fan of the MSI species being the Fugates family.

Have you considered a non-human species instead?

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
As your empire progresses, you will also have the opportunity to seek out each of your former home worlds. Reaching these planets not only represents a triumphant homecoming, but may also propel your people to new heights.

View attachment 941263
There’s no place like home.
Extremely minor nitpick:

In most (all?) other places in Stellaris, it's written as "homeworld" one word, not "home world".

Reactions:
Not gonna lie - while very cool as a story to play through once, gameplay-wise this origin is looking like the minmaxer's worst nightmare.

But I guess I'll finally have an excuse to try out xeno-compatibility.

So... what are barriers that hinder other empires to become the crisis and end your game and there's nothing you can do about it because you're a pleb?
I fear a situation where I put many hours in a game session and suddenly it's game over. This would drive me mad!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
フリーダム!!
あなたのカタカナはいいです.

Looking at the picture, i strongly suggest that randomly (i assume that your non-main species and their number of pops are randomly generated) generated species in this origin are unable to get the Decadent trait, as this Origin's restrictions, rightly fitting as they are, also mean that they cannot get slaves and thus you'd start with one or more species with a no small happiness penalty, which would lower planet stability if they're one of the species with the most pops in your planet and thus lower your likely already low production to begin with.
That was the old Decadent trait. The post-2.2 Decadent trait only impacts enslaved or worker stratum pops with the happines malus.

The Broken Shackles origin gives you a few pops of the species you create, adds your homeworld as a pre-FTL civilization, and then fills your planet up with other pre-FTL pops from across the galaxy.

How crazy your initial species list is depends largely on the galaxy settings - if you crank up the number of Pre-FTL worlds, then yeah, you may be running out of colors pretty early.

This one earned the title "Challenging" though - you start with a technological and infrastructural disadvantage, with an advanced empire out there that you hate, and it's quite possible that your other friends may be fish out of water, wholly unsuitable for life on, say, a desert planet. There are a number of advantages though, if you can pull everything together - with a diversity of species, you'll likely be able to colonize nearly anything you find, and the melting pot of your capital might benefit from the differing points of view.
nice!
is the number of pops you start with a set number?
does that mean that if you start with less primitives (or no primitives at all) you'll start with more pops of each species?
what happens if several players in a multiplayer game start with Broken Shackles? do the main species count towards the number of primitive species in the galaxy (for example, if Broken Shackles would normally spawn four primitives and two players would pick Broken Shackles, would the game generate two random primitives and two playable empire primitive homeworlds?)

nice!
is the number of pops you start with a set number?
does that mean that if you start with less primitives (or no primitives at all) you'll start with more pops of each species?
what happens if several players in a multiplayer game start with Broken Shackles? do the main species count towards the number of primitive species in the galaxy (for example, if Broken Shackles would normally spawn four primitives and two players would pick Broken Shackles, would the game generate two random primitives and two playable empire primitive homeworlds?)

The total number of pops you start with is static, their composition varies based on what's out there. If multiple people start with Broken Shackles, they count as valid targets for this game start population. It searches for any non-gestalt Pre-FTL civilizations that do not have "special planet requirements".

• 3Like
Reactions:
everyone is starting primitive and the Minamar are the big bad of the galaxy would be an awesome scenario. minamar as an advanced empire and maybe a few marauders.... sounds likes a pretty explosive early-mid game environment.

Edit: ALSO! Can "broken shackles" spawn as AI and then get randomly selected as "advanced civ" and if yes, how does that work out?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Quite possibly, although if you make a Xenophile empire, standard game mechanics are going to work heavily in your favour for factional alignment. (Even if you're not officially Xenophile, the origin disallows slaver builds, and as a non-slaver it's pretty easy to keep the Xenophile faction happy.)
You're not wrong. You start with with the faction demand for 4+ species fulfilled for +10 xenoist faction approval much earlier than normal (you just need to get comms with 4+ other countries, no migration required), possibly another +10 if the origin triggers the pre-FTL policy, and if you run Charismatic I think you're looking at something like +300-400% Xenophile attraction on your non-main-species pops.

You've got 100% Xenoist approval as soon as you complete 4 first contacts, at least one of which is a standard empire, and find one of the pre-FTL civs. You;ve got enough envoys to do all of them simultaneously, so the limiting factor here is how fast you can actually trigger first contact sites. Depending on exactly what you start with you might be able to do parliamentary system, pick discovery for map the stars, and then build army transports with +1 sensor range to hunt for contacts.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I wish there were a way to control all the random spawns (like with the starting federation origins and similar).

I only play with my own pre-made empires (I have like 50 saved or something) because I dislike the complete randomness of species and names etc.
But that means I can never play with some of those random origins because those random spawns don't adhere to the selection of empires at game start. I can force all empires that I created (as I always do) but those random keywords don't respect the forcing.

I'd love you, if you could find a solution for this.

Reactions:

Not that getting species to colonize planets is difficult. At most getting more than 5 planets can be tedious in it's own right. But anyway I welcome every disadvantage I could get! Gonna crank that Primitives to x5 now!

Reactions:
If there's a Tomb World primitive species out in the galaxy, like the Roachoid, will there be a chance to start with a Tomb World habitability pop?

• 1Like
Reactions: