• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #276 - Death is the Beginning

Greetings, ghouls and ghasts! Chief Reanimator Iggy here to report the most recent innovation in the field of necromancy. With the 3.6 update, we will bring you the Cordyceptic Drones civic! These delightful fungi will allow you to dominate the galaxy with zombie space fauna, as this is the third Reanimation civic! I know many of you have been enjoying this on the Beta, but if you give me a moment, I will have something new to show you!

Cordyceptic Drones

If you have been following how I made Permanent Employment, you would know that I want all these different reanimation civics to have access to the Leviathan Reanimation feature while still having unique gameplay. Cordyceptics follow this trend giving hives a much more biological reanimation method.

image4.png

Also including the new Hivemind Government Type Parasitic Overmind!

The civic can be incredibly powerful based on the space fauna you encounter. If you find Tiyana Vek early game, then you are in for a fun game while you have to restructure your entire economy to produce enough food to keep your dread fleet flying. Yet that is not all! Cordyceptic Empires are masters of all things biological, so your Amoeba Flagella will now be a force to be reckoned with in the early game. And if you happen to get the Prethoryn as your crisis, you might be able to use those missiles better than the Prethoryn themselves!

image5.png

Now, who would want to start with some boring old Corvettes?

As a final little flavor feature for you, I present you with the Cordyceptic Reanimation Facility, capable of resurrecting space fauna continuously for a food upkeep! However, it requires that you find systems rich in organic life.

image6.png

A new Tiyanki fleet is ready to be deployed!

The Other Thing

Back when Eladrin and I first introduced Reanimatable Leviathans for 3.1 “Lem” there was one piece of feedback we kept hearing internally. Will the Leviathans look like Zombies? While we couldn't deliver it back then. After much finagling, bartering, and pledging my soul to our Art Director, we are here to bring you Reanimated Leviathans as you have never seen them before.

image2.gif

Someone call in the Fire Department ‘cos it’s SMOKING in here!

This collaboration required the cooperation of each discipline within our art team, with beautiful concept art, new shaders, and breathtaking VFX!

image3.jpg

What is Next for Reanimators?

Machines will repurpose dead organic matter.
Eventually…
Now go out and raise some dead!

Attachments

• necromancers_leviathan.png
    necromancers_leviathan.png
    2,4 MB · Views: 0
  • necromancers_leviathan_cropped.png
    necromancers_leviathan_cropped.png
    883,4 KB · Views: 0
  • 104Like
  • 71Love
Reactions:
Bioships!

"Pet, pet, pet, all day long.
Pet my ships while I sing this song.
Gonna wash their bellies, gonna make them shine.
Gonna pick off some grapes and ferment some wine."

• 2Haha
Reactions:
But I want an organic ship set!

Make several organic ship sets, put them all in the game, and then declare the best one yours.

Solved.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
After looking at the illustrations of the necromancers, I must say that they have a certain air of magicka wizards, will the revive word be "banana"?

What?!? What are you talking about????? :confused:

First of all, I wrote my previous comment in English! Second, WTF are you talking about???

• 2Haha
Reactions:
This thought never passed through the head of the idiot here. :oops:

Machines will repurpose dead organic matter.
Eventually…

You should make them like the cybermen from doctor who. Machines who turn living and dead bodies into units of themselves, preserving only the skeleton and human brains.

This could be accomplished by giving them a version of both Necrophage and Reanimators and/or giving them access to some organic traits due to their retained organic parts (such as their brain). Alternatively they could just get a trait representing their organic origin, but that seems a little anti-climactic.

Last edited:
Reactions: