• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #237 - Reworking Unity, Part One

Доступно на русском в ВК/Read in Russian on VK

Welcome back! We hope you’ve all had a wonderful few weeks.

Today we’ll start with some more information about the goals of the Unity Rework mentioned in Dev Diary 215 (and briefly in 234), some updates on how things have been going so far, and our plans going forward.

Please note: All values and screen captures shown here are still very much in development and subject to change.

Identified Problems and Design Goals

Currently in Stellaris, Unity is an extremely weak resource that can generally be ignored, and due to the current implementation of Admin Capacity, the Empire Sprawl mechanic is largely toothless - leading to wide tech rushing being an oppressively powerful strategy. Since Unity is currently very easily generated through incidental means and provides minimal benefits, Empires have little need to develop a Unity generation base, and Spiritualist ethics are unattractive.

Influence is currently used for many internal and external interactions, making it a valuable resource, but it sometimes feels too limiting.

Our basic design goals for the Unity Rework can be summarized as:
  • Unity should be a meaningful resource that represents the willingness of your empire to band together for the betterment of society and their resilience towards negative change.
    • Unity should be more valuable than it is now, and empires focused on Unity generation should be interesting to play.
      • Spiritualist empires should have a satisfying niche to exploit and be able to feel that they are good at something.
      • The number of sources of incidental Unity from non-dedicated jobs should be reduced.
      • Empires that do not focus on Unity (but do not completely ignore it) should still be able to acquire their Ascension Perks by the late game.
    • Reward immersive decisions with Unity grants whenever possible.
    • Internal empire matters should generally utilize Unity.
      • Provide more ways to spend Unity.
      • Rebalance the way edicts work (again).
  • Reduce the oppressive impact of tech rushing by reintroducing some rubber-banding mechanics.
  • Make tall play more viable, preferring to balance tall vs. wide play in favor of distinctiveness, and emphasizing differences between hives, machines, megacorps, and normal empires. (This does not necessarily mean that tall Unity focused empires will be the equal of wide Research focused ones, but they should have some things that they are good at and be more competitive in general than they are now.)
  • In the late game, Unity focused empires should have a benefit to look forward to similar to the repeatable technologies a Research focused empire would have.
In this iteration we have focused on some of these bullets more than others, but will continue to refine the systems over future Custodian releases.

So What Are We Doing?

All means of increasing Administrative Capacity have been removed. While there are ways to reduce the Empire Sprawl generated by various sources, and this will be used to help differentiate gameplay between different empire types, empires will no longer be able to completely mitigate sprawl penalties. Penalties and sprawl generation values have been significantly modified.
  • The Capital designation, for instance, now also reduces Empire Sprawl generated by Pops on the planet.
1641998332819.png

Bureaucrats, Priests, Managers, Synapse Drones, and Coordinators will be the primary sources of Unity for various empire types. Culture Workers have been removed.

Autochthon Memorials (and similar buildings) now increase planetary Unity production and themselves produce Unity based on the number of Ascension Perks the Empire has taken. Being monuments, they no longer require workers.

1641998343919.png

These monuments are now planet-unique, and can be built by Spiritualist empires.

The Edicts Cap system has been removed. Toggled Edicts will have monthly Unity Upkeep which is modified by Empire Sprawl. Each empire has an Edicts Fund which subsidizes Edict Upkeep, reducing the amount you have to pay each month to maintain them. Things that previously increased Edict Capacity now generally increase the Edicts Fund, but some civics, techs, and ascension perks have received other thematic modifications.

1641998361029.png

As an example, some Bureaucratic technologies now modify the Edicts Fund.

1641998374401.png

The Imperial Cult will squander any excess Edicts Fund on icons of the God Emperor at the end of the month. No refunds!

Several systems that used to cost Influence are now paid in Unity.
  • Planetary Decisions that were formerly paid in Influence. Prices have been adjusted.
  • Resettlement of pops. Abandoning colonies still costs Influence.
  • Manipulation of internal Factions. Factions themselves will now produce Unity instead of Influence.
Since Factions are no longer producing Influence, a small amount of Influence is now generated by your fleet, based on Power Projection - a comparison of your fleet size and Empire Sprawl.

Leaders now cost Unity to hire rather than Energy. They also have a small amount of Unity Upkeep. We understand that this increases the relative costs of choosing to hire several scientists at the start of the game for exploration purposes, or when “cycling” leader traits, as you are now choosing between Traditions and Leaders..

1641998387012.png

And then some empires go and break all the rules.

Most Megastructures now cost Unity rather than Influence, with the exception of any related to travel (such as Gateways) or that provide living space (such as Habitats and Ring Worlds).

Authority bonuses have (unsurprisingly) undergone some changes again, as several of them related to systems that no longer exist or operate differently now.

When Will This Happen?

Since these are pretty big changes that touch many game systems in so many ways, we’ve decided to put these changes up in a limited duration Open Beta on Steam for playtest and feedback. This will give us a chance to adjust values and modify some game interactions before the changes get pushed to live later on in the 3.3.x patch cycle, and we will continue improving on them in future Custodian releases.

We’ll provide more details on the specifics of how the Open Beta will be run in next week's dev diary.

What Else is Planned?

As noted earlier, we’d like Unity to also reflect the resilience of your empire to negative effects. A high Unity empire may be more resistant to negative effects deficits or possibly even have their pops rise up to help repel invaders, but these ideas are still in early development and will not be part of this Open Beta or release. They’ll likely be tied to the evolving Situations that we mentioned in Dev Diary 234 - we’ll talk about those more in the future once their designs are finalized.

Next week I’ll go into details regarding the Open Beta, go over a new system that is meant to provide “tall” and Unity focused empires some significant mid to late game benefits called Planetary Ascension Tiers, and share details on another little something from one of our Content Designers.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 169Like
  • 106Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Reduce the oppressive impact of tech rushing by reintroducing some rubber-banding mechanics.
All of the goals and proposed changes look amazing! As per usual I'm hyped for the next overhaul of Stellaris.
I am very intrigued about this too. I've always found it frustrating how easy it is for players or AI to fall behind on tech, with virtually no capability of catching up, at least before the game ends. I do wonder what some of the rubber-banding mechanics will be.

The changes to Feudal Society is a nice way to spice it up, however strict restrictions on aspects such as kicking leaders does seem very inflexible and restricts choice, there should always be an alternative that doesn't involve not doing it at all. Maybe a costly influence/unity price? Or it could provoke an unruly reaction from other leaders?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Admin buildings are your unity producers now, and one of the uses for unity, as previously mentioned in other diaries, is to mitigate the impact of sprawl.

You don't just endure sprawl penalties, you build admin buildings to generate the unity to spend to mitigate. It's the same function, but different form, of the admin cap raising.
But Unity only makes sense for Pacificst and Spiritualists empire, doesn't it? WOn't this get in the way of Militarist and expansionists, that enjoys war?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This does not necessarily mean that tall Unity focused empires will be the equal of wide Research focused ones, but they should have some things that they are good at and be more competitive in general than they are now.

I've always imagined that the highly tech focused empire are always the tall ones (much like the Fallen Empires) while the wide empires are more focused on unity, basically to keep everything togethere

• 7Like
Reactions:
I am very intrigued about this too. I've always found it frustrating how easy it is for players or AI to fall behind on tech, with virtually no capability of catching up, at least before the game ends. I do wonder what some of the rubber-banding mechanics will be.

If I had to guess it would be a percentage bonus to researching a given tech based on what % of empires have said tech. This would be a great feature, particularly for uplifted empires or primitives that make it to space on their own. It makes sense too given stellaris' worldbuilding. A young empire would get quite the boost from logging onto other empire's wikipedia and browsing the history sections.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Very excited for these changes, as well as seeing how well the open beta turns out.

I’ll second @Cat_Fuzz on there potentially being a lack of things to spend influence on, at least for certain play styles. As a genocidal you can’t spend it on diplomacy or the GC, and you don’t use claims. Previously I’ve been spending it to shuffle pops around, but with that changing to unity (which makes TONS more sense, I approve), the only real things left will be habitats and relics (and relics should really use unity too imo). I think that there should be a way to spend influence on espionage, either on additional envoys or to speed up infiltration.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
  • Reduce the oppressive impact of tech rushing by reintroducing some rubber-banding mechanics.

Does this include (if needed) rebalancing of the tech costs? Currently the costs scale linearly while the research point production close to exponential growth so each successive tier gets researched faster and faster. The early wars might be fought with mostly basic techs and few tier 2 components but then shortly afterwards everyone has battleships with neutron launchers etc.

This has been talked in the earlier threads as well: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...esearch-is-far-too-fast-in-this-game.1470409/

Solid looking changes on the unity and the admin cap, can't wait to try the beta.

• 2Like
Reactions:
1641998387012.png

Rather than being immune to dismissal, perhaps leaders could instead cost (more) Unity to remove from a job?

Also, it would be neat if the changes to Feudal are accompanied by Aristocratic Elite adding leader lineages:
  • Employed (non-ruler) leaders dying have a 95% chance to be replaced by an heir, inheriting their job, with no Unity recruitment cost.
  • Employed leaders cost (more) Unity to remove from a job.
  • If possible, the heir inherits any family name (or the same name but with a ticking Roman numeral at the end; "Blackbeak Dreadwing II" and so on).

• 28Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
@Eladrin This all sounds very good. My one point of disagreement is that you're going with Bureaucrats as Unity producing job for regular empires and scrapping Culture Workers. I would've preferred it if Culture Workers were the standard Unity job and Bureaucrats were a Culture Worker replacement job provided by the Byzantine Bureaucracy civic (much like Warrior Culture replaces Entertainers with Duelists).

• 9Like
Reactions:
Very excited for these changes, as well as seeing how well the open beta turns out.

I’ll second @Cat_Fuzz on there potentially being a lack of things to spend influence on, at least for certain play styles. As a genocidal you can’t spend it o. Diplomacy or the GC, and you don’t use claims. Previously I’ve been spending it to shuffle pops around, but with that changing to unity (which makes TONS more sense, I approve), the only real things left will be habitats and relics (and relics should really use influence too). I think that there should be a way to spend influence on espionage, either on additional envoys or to speed up infiltration.

I do like the idea of using influence for espionage - makes way more sense as well.

Though could leaders cost unity in addition to EC?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Autochthon Memorials (and similar buildings) now increase planetary Unity production and themselves produce Unity based on the number of Ascension Perks the Empire has taken. Being monuments, they no longer require workers.

View attachment 793472
These monuments are now planet-unique, and can be built by Spiritualist empires.

Hum. So Spiritualists don't have anymore The citadel of Faith ? Or they keep it but with no workers ? Or we now have temples, citadel of faith (like before) and memorials (with no workers) ?

i like the idea of getting rid of the buerocrat admin capacity system. it never made much sense to add it in the first place.

i'm glad you guys are willing to admit bad decisions and undo game mechanics that didn't work out as intended.

the changes to influence and unity you outlined seem reasonable. should make unity more useful resource. good start. looking forward to trying it out and seeing where this new direction will take us.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I haven't been excited for Stella DDs in a long time because I feel there's been too much attention to new additions over fixing the flaws of the game. This seems like a step in the right direction to me. I will try this out!

Reactions:
I also fear that making influence generation modified by fleet size again places emphasis on warmongering empires, so reduces pacifist playstyles ability to compete when expanding
As a (sometimes Fanatic) Pacifist, I do not understand that concern. Every Pacifist should be familiar with the concept of "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum", and Armed Dissuasion. It is an unfortunate fact that to achieve peace, we require overwhelming firepower to discourage any direct attack on our lands. While us pacifists dislike starting wars, we are not afraid to finish them.

I would be curious about Federations on the other hand. More specifically, regarding how the Federal Navy and Projected Power interact.

• 2Like
Reactions:
As a (sometimes Fanatic) Pacifist, I do not understand that concern. Every Pacifist should be familiar with the concept of "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum", and Armed Dissuasion. It is an unfortunate fact that to achieve peace, we require overwhelming firepower to discourage any direct attack on our lands. While us pacifists dislike starting wars, we are not afraid to finish them.
The kind of Pacifism that I practice in Stellaris is something I refer to as "Big Stick Pacifism".

Others might refer to it as "Culture-style Pacifism (post-Idiran War)".

• 1Love
Reactions:
It'd be interesting to tie the "ability to withstand negative change" to Espionage in some way as well. Espionage is slightly toothless right now. I like the idea that an empire that chooses to focus heavily on Espionage can cause a lot of chaos for an empire that has chosen to ignore countermeasures to it.

Is this something you're considering?

• 11Like
Reactions:
As for the idea, I think it sounds good, althoug I'm very eager to read next week about how Ascension Perk unlocking is meant to work.

Can Orrie be given advance access before the Closed Beta, so that he can create a variant of his mod UI Overhaul Dynamic for it, because it's the one QoL mod that I really, really can't see myself playing without, as in I will ignore the Closed Beta unless I get to utilize more than the 720 pixels of monitor height that Paradox assumes is all I have.