• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #23 - Multiplayer

Good news everyone!

Today’s Dev Diary will be about Multiplayer and what makes it so great in Stellaris.

Let's start with the basics. Players are able to host games with 32 player designed empires and optionally, several extra randomized AI empires. If you have a new person who would like to join an ongoing campaign they can hotjoin into an already existing empire. This also allows the players to leave or take a break from the ongoing multiplayer campaign and leave their empire in the capable hands of the AI. The host may also choose to host a multiplayer game from a save game allowing players to play grand campaigns lasting several weeks.

stellaris_dev_diary_23_01_20160229_other_player.jpg

One of our longstanding issues with multiplayer is that clients desynchronize, which is usually solved by having the host rehost the game, but this can be quite a menace when playing multiplayer with 20+ people, so we’ve decided that this is an issue we should prioritize higher in Stellaris. Thanks to persistent testing and fixing of out-of-syncs as soon as they happen, we’ve managed to make Stellaris our most stable multiplayer experience yet, allowing us to run stable multiplayer with up to and probably more than 32 players. We test our multiplayer stability weekly by playing multiplayer with our betas and the developers on the project, and it’s loads of fun.

stellaris_dev_diary_23_02_20160229_player_empire.jpg

We’ve designed Stellaris with a couple of things which affects the multiplayer experience which you might want to know.

One of them is that empires have a relationship value of other empires, but the value doesn’t decide the options a player can take against another empire but decides the responses AI controlled countries gives to your requests, demands and offers.

Another thing which Stellaris has that our other grand strategy games don’t is a symmetrical and randomized start, this means that in a multiplayer game everyone starts on more or less equal terms. This makes the game, in our experience, more competitive and a lot of fun. Will you be able to claim ownership of that specifically resource rich system before your neighbor? Or should you enter an alliance to stop a specific neighbor from expanding in your direction?

One more thing which affects the multiplayer experience on an early stage is that players are anonymous until you have established communications with their empires, making you unable to know whether the first aliens you meet will be your greatest allies or your worst enemies.

Next week is all about the AI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Since wargoals are chosen before the war starts, do we also have some kind of surrender rule?

Can the defender give up 100% of the wargoal and stop the war immediately?

Reactions:
Yes, @Wiz. I really think that Paradox games need a mechanic where you can't see who is a player, what their name is and who is an AI in multiplayer. It kind of makes the game for chaotic.

Similarly, if there is a score based system. Maybe it shouldn't be available at all times as you should have to guess who is winning rather than arbitrarily gangbang the winning player with everyone else.

Anonymity in multiplayer would be amazing. It's makes the game all about blind diplomacy and plenty of backstabbing!

Anonymous multiplayer would be incredible in EU4 by the way. It would be very interesting to see who might win the Dev game if everyone playing strictly didn't know who everyone else was.

Reactions:
Got a pretty big group of friends waiting for either Stellaris or HoI IV.
When we usually play EU IV we get some desynchs every now and then, maybe because we're pretty much from all around the world (Host in Japan, playing with Australians, Americans and Europeans)... So I'm looking forward to an improved multiplayer experience. Do your best!

Reactions:
I often play EU games with only one friend. Kind of SP experience mixed with skype talking and stuff. Will we have the possibility to force a start close to each other? Because you mentioned it is possible to not see the whole galaxy when the game ends I guess it would also be possible to have next to no interaction with some other empires and it would be sad if that is my friends empire ^^ Ok, 2 player Games might not be a high priority but 4-6 player games could be more common (if you like to play with non strangers that is) and in a vast galaxy that could still feel a little SP like. Of course you always could choose a smaller galaxy size but... just no! ^^

Reactions:
Maybe we should start a thread before the game comes out to organize 32 player games? Not everyone might show up but a lot of people are bound to show up with 32 potential players.

Apologies if this has already been asked,

Will it be possible for toaster/AI/Robot minion rebellions and then the ability to choose to side with/let win the toasters/AI/Robot faction and then play as them?

Thanks

Reactions:
If any other game desynched as much as eu4 i would never play that game again
but i am still playing eu4, and that is because the game is soo damn amazing
so if good MP with a game as good as eu4 i can only wait to be amazed
I have one big worry about the game, replayability. because part of the reason i love eu4 as much is because people start with different amounts of power and difficulty
and very good players will get bored to easily because they will probaly just steamroll out of control

Reactions:
It still feels so strange to see an all new setting for Paradox with all those familiar UI elements. It has the "coming home" feeling, in combination with a new home.
Anyway, can't wait! As usual.

Reactions:
Ha!

I honestly thought when they said that this weeks DD would be about multi player that it was just a flippant joke. I could not imagine why anyone would want to play a paradox game multi player. I also don't believe there are people out there with the time to do this! mythical creatures like the unicorn, sure we have heard stories but no one has ever really seen one.

Is this for real? and why do this?

I am tired, confused and a little suspicious that i am now living in a parallel world.

Reactions:
Is the fire icon next to fleet number/cap means firepower points or something? How would the game measure it? The one in distant worlds don't work at all, as their "firepower" based on weapon type are far from real dps.

We've had some pretty large MP-games where we've mixed players from our office and people from outside Sweden/Europe, working fine.
Just what I was hoping to hear! +25 Hype

:D

Reactions:
Are those hyperlanes on second screenshot?
Look common enough to not be annoying method of travel.

Ha!

I honestly thought when they said that this weeks DD would be about multi player that it was just a flippant joke. I could not imagine why anyone would want to play a paradox game multi player. I also don't believe there are people out there with the time to do this! mythical creatures like the unicorn, sure we have heard stories but no one has ever really seen one.

Is this for real? and why do this?

I am tired, confused and a little suspicious that i am now living in a parallel world.

Because actual, conscious people you can fight with, against or just talk with about your shared experience with add a whole new dimension to the game?

Reactions:
Since wargoals are chosen before the war starts, do we also have some kind of surrender rule?

Can the defender give up 100% of the wargoal and stop the war immediately?

Both sides of a war can surrender and end the war instantly by agreeing to all the demands of the opponent side.

I often play EU games with only one friend. Kind of SP experience mixed with skype talking and stuff. Will we have the possibility to force a start close to each other? Because you mentioned it is possible to not see the whole galaxy when the game ends I guess it would also be possible to have next to no interaction with some other empires and it would be sad if that is my friends empire ^^ Ok, 2 player Games might not be a high priority but 4-6 player games could be more common (if you like to play with non strangers that is) and in a vast galaxy that could still feel a little SP like. Of course you always could choose a smaller galaxy size but... just no! ^^

Good point, It's currently random, but we might add an option for clustering players together :)

Reactions: