• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #219 - Selectable Traditions

Greetings and salutations space fans!

Today we’re back with another dev diary, and the topic at hand is the feature improvements coming to the Traditions system. Back in dev diary 214 when we announced the Lem Update and the Custodians Initiative, we also talked about how to make Selectable Traditions.

Attn. This post has been updated with some new changes following feedback from the community.

Selecting your Traditions

We know there’s been mods that have extended the amounts of traditions for some time now, and we also know that it's something that parts of the community have been asking for as well. For us, Traditions have always been an important part of customizing and specializing your Empire during play, and although we of course like giving players more customization options, we also need to maintain a balance. We didn’t simply want to keep adding new traditions without having the UI support it well, and we didn’t also want to give players too many options right away, which can lead to Choice Overload. We felt like it was a good time to review the Traditions system, because we wanted to add a few more Tradition Trees, and open up the avenue for doing more of that in the future, where it makes sense.

Let’s dive into the changes, and keep in mind that nothing is final and there’s missing art. Feedback is still very welcome though.

1628750674741.png

We are improving the traditions system so that you are no longer locked to the same set of 7 traditions (with some swaps), but you can rather pick which Tradition Tree you want to go into one of these 7 slots.

1628750700458.png

All the Tradition Trees currently available to the United Nations of Earth.

Some of the Tradition Trees, that were previously swaps of other trees (like Adaptability being a swap of Diplomacy), are now their own trees again. This means that Adaptability, for example, is now available to all non-machine empires. Synchronicity is still mutually exclusive with Harmony (one will appear if you are a gestalt empire, the other if you are a regular one). Versatility is available to all machine empires.

Changes to existing Traditions
Other than allowing you to select your own Traditions trees, we’ve also changed some of the traditions within the existing trees. Let’s take a look at some of those changes:

Domination
  • Judgment Corps: no longer increases crime prevention, but rather makes your Enforcers produce 1 Unity.
  • Privy Council: now also increases Edict Cap by +1
  • Finisher: no longer provides +1 monthly influence, but rather increases admin cap by 20%. This applies to all types of empires.

Diplomacy
  • Open Markets replaced with Diplomatic Networking: Embassy pacts now produce 3 Unity
  • Secure Shipping replaced with Eminent Diplomats: Diplomatic Acceptance increased by +5, and your Envoys that are Improving Relations have a 1% chance per month to gain a Favor from the target empire.
  • Insider Trading replaced with Trust or Bust: Trust Cap +50, Trust Growth +33%
  • Finisher: no longer increases Trust Cap or Trust Growth, but rather increases Diplomatic Weight by +10% and +1 Envoy.

Harmony
  • Mind and Body: now also increases Leader Skill Cap by +1
  • Kinship: effect on demotion time buffed from -50% to -75%
  • Bulwark of Harmony moved to Unyielding, replaced with Harmonious Directives: +1 Edict Cap

Supremacy
  • Adoption: no longer increases Starbase Cap by +2, but instead increases Naval Cap by +20
  • The Great Game: old effects removed, now increases damage done to Starbases by +20%

Prosperity
  • Finisher: no longer provides Merchant Jobs per Pops on a planet, but rather increases Stability by +5 and Pop Resource Output by +5%. This applies to all types of empires.

New Tradition Trees
We are adding 3 new Tradition Trees to the game: Mercantile, Unyielding and Subterfuge. Subterfuge is currently unlocked by Nemesis, Unyielding is unlocked by Apocalypse, and Mercantile (originally supposed to be unlocked by Megacorp) is available to everyone. The reason being that we wanted to see how it felt to have the Trade Policies unlocked through this tree. It will therefore no longer be possible to convert Trade Value into Energy + Consumer Goods/Unity unless you have the (3) Adaptive Economic Policies tradition.

1628861271338.png

Mercantile (Free)
  • Adopt: Starbase Collection Range +1, Trade Protection +5
  • (1) Trickle Up Economics: Clerks provide an additional +1 Trade Value
  • (2) Commercial Enterprises: Commercial Zones Building now provides 1 Merchant Job. Also applies to Commercial Districts for Ring Worlds and Habitats.
  • (3) Adaptive Economic Policies: Can convert parts of their Trade Value into Unity or Consumer Goods.
  • (3) (swap) Federal Trade Fleets: Tradition swap for empires that are members of a Trade League Federation. Increases fleet contribution to the federation fleet by +50%, similar to Entente Coordination.
  • (4) Marketplace of Better Ideas: increases trade value by +10%
  • (5) Insider Trading: moved from Diplomacy Traditions, -10% Market Fee
  • Finisher: increases trade value by +10%

1628750966009.png

Unyielding (added to Apocalypse)
  • Adoption: Starbase Cap +2 and Starbase Upgrade Speed +50%
  • (1) Resistance is Frugal: Stronghold buildings now produce 3 Unity and Defense Army Health is increased by +33%
  • (2) Never Surrender: reduces Planet Bombardment Damage by -25%, war exhaustion by -25% and increases hostile claim costs by +25%
  • (3) Bulwark of Harmony: moved from Harmony Traditions, effects are as before
  • (4) Fortress Doctrine: increases the Hit Points and Damage of Starbases and Defensive Platforms by 33%, and reduces the upkeep cost of starbases by -20%
  • (5) Defense in Depth: increases Starbase Cap by +2 and reduces Starbase upgrade cost by -50%. In addition, owners of Nemesis will also increase Hostile Operation Difficulty by +4 for the Sabotage Starbase Operation.
  • Finisher: Max Defensive Platforms +50%

1628750986320.png

Subterfuge (added to Nemesis)
  • Adoption: +1 Codebreaking
  • (1) Information Security: +1 Encryption
  • (2) Operational Security: +1 Codebreaking, +2 Operation Skill
  • (3) Non-Disclosure Agreements: Hostile Operation Difficulty is +1, and Hostile Operation Cost and Upkeep is increased by +50%
  • (4) Double Agents: Whenever a Hostile Operation targeting us fails, we gain 10 Intel on the offending empire
  • (5) Shadow Recruits: increases Infiltration Speed by +50%
  • Finisher: Successful Operations refund half of their cost on Infiltration Level

----

That is all for this week folks! Let us know which Tradition Trees you like to pick, and why. Any feedback is very welcome.

Next week we’ll be back to talk about the additions we’re making to the Humanoids Species Pack.

Last edited:
  • 155Like
  • 76Love
Reactions:
If you’re letting your Influence get that high, you’re not using it efficiently. You could be making so many habitats, megastructures, or ecumenopoli with that influence, or using it to pass helpful resolutions in the Community / swing the votes in your favor by calling in favors. The only reason I ever let my influence get that high is if I want to claim a very distant but strategic/valuable star system .

(Edit: Looks like I got ninja’d by Mimisbrunnr making the same point before I could.)
Yeah, but at this point, when I hit 1000, it's better for me saving up alloys to pump up Galactic Wonders faster - so having it at +1000 for a while isn't really a bad choice. My small empire (system wise, not settlement wise) might also be out of good spots for habitats, and need to invest more in its fleet by this point.

Another time I might see my influence hitting +1000 is earlier in the game if I for some reason aren't able to hit the Habitat-tech before year 2250.

But most importantly: I prefer this new bonus that will always be good for the rest of the game, instead of the +1 influence that will situationally be good at some point in the game, and then useless again.

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This change is a bit of an air-breathing mermaid (introducing a solution to a problem in a game that didn't exist until the solution was added). I can't say I'm a fan of this change either, especially as others have pointed out that the the Tradition itself gets obsoleted if you're in a Trade League. And if you're going for the Mercantile tree, you're probably the sort of Empire that wants a Trade League as well.

A better option would be to have the Decision unlock a suite of new Economic Edicts that compliment our Economic Policies rather unlocking the policies themselves. Leaving the Policies for more long-term planning and the Edicts for more fine-tuning economic choices that make you more adaptable to the current situation. Things like Extended Shifts (from Domination) could also be unlocked by Mercantile, for example. I wouldn't want to remove it from Domination though, at least not without suitable compensation. Domination is always the one I go for last as it is.

The Economic Edicts that you propose would be another way of going about doing it, though Edict slots are quite precious.

Also, the matter of taking away long-held abilities from standard nations feels bad (loss of Consumer benefits, etc.), and as you noted its kind of self-defeating as the Trade Leagues that most want to use Mercantile won't even use those policies anyways.

I think Trade Leagues (and trade in general) needs to be buff, under the reasoning that pretty much ALL trade is underpowered right now, given that the other basic resources get repeatable techs that can boost their effectiveness ad infinitum, as well as multiple 20% tech boosts much earlier in the game that leaves trade permanently in the dust.

Well, from my experience playing as Megacorps, the Trade League policy is extremely powerful in of itself. But trade without a Megacorp/Merchant Guilds (and hence access to that policy) is otherwise very underpowered at the moment, especially since it doesn’t scale well into the late-game.

I mean, in my last full play through, I stacked so many repeatable energy production techs that I saw my Generator Districts often producing 78+ energy each, and I think a few planets saw over 80 energy per generator district. By that point, unity is also far less useful, since you’ll have more than enough to keep all Unity Ambitions active at all times, making the Trade League policy become relatively less powerful the longer the match goes on. But it’s great early on for steamrolling through tradition trees.

• 3Love
Reactions:
Most of the changes are really nice, but i’m not a big fan of the CG and Unity trade policies being gated behind the Merchantile tree, especially the CG one which i liked using for my egalitarian/xenophile playthroughs since the policy’s fluff is the empire giving some of the benefits from trade back to its citizens, and Diplomatic Networking is pretty weak since all flat unity bonuses are only good at the earlier stages from the game
Highly agreed. Consumer Benefits was something I saw as a staple of establishing the character of my Egalitarian Xenophile runs, with the idea that the Trade Policy, combined with Social Welfare living standards or above, really showed how the nation was trying to prioritize its people's well-being. That's a good reason to consider reverting this change.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Economic Edicts that you propose would be another way of going about doing it, though Edict slots are quite precious.
The rarity of Edicts is a fair point, though most of the time I'm using my Edicts for economic issues anyhow, especially in the early game when I'm still assembling my economic base. So getting some new Edicts that provide some viable alternatives to the various Subsidies could prove useful.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just want to echo what a few others are saying: Domination is underpowered.

The time I spent going through it always felt like a waste, and I can't see myself ever taking it now.

Pretty much agreed. Domination was consistently the last tradition that I'd take, mainly to get my final ascension slot, the worker bonus, and the +1 Influence finisher (maybe the only thing that could have tempted me to try taking it earlier) but its so much weaker now and we have alternate choices now. I'd probably never take it now.

Reactions:
After taking time to think about them, going to give more thoughts on the new tradition trees

Mercantile

I think, most traditions here are great and I love the idea of focusing more on trade.

Adaptive Economic Policies like I said in my last post I think would be better if it gave stronger trade policies instead of unlocking the ones we have already been playing with. Like I suggested I think making each trade policy grant 0.1 research per trade value would be a great way to go. Wealth Creation providing Physics research, Consumer Benefits providing Industry, and Marketplace of Ideas providing Society. Trade League can provide 0.05 of each. Like a lot of posts have already pointed out Trade Value is of a far lower value than other resources, so I think making it provide a small amount of an extremely valuable resource like research would be pretty welcome, and each policy providing a different type of research would make choosing your policy more interesting.

Marketplace of Better Ideas is the only other one I have a problem with, I think making the finisher just provide +20% trade value and giving Marketplace a different effect would be a good idea. I think a really interesting ability could be something like a -25% discount with Enclaves, Caravaaners, and Marauders, the idea of a trade focused empire relying on mercenaries sounds fun to me!

Unyielding

I think a lot of people are underestimating this tradition tree, I love a lot of it's effects especially Never Surrender.

Resistance is Frugal I think just also needs an effect like +33% Defensive Army Morale, then it would probably be fine.

The finisher effect I love and am looking forward to combining with Eternal Vigilance for hopefully ridiculous results, but I do think it needs something reducing the build cost and upkeep of defensive platforms. Like -25% to both would probably help a lot.

Subterfuge

I think this one's problem is just, that espionage is not very strong right now, and even with all of these bonuses the operations that you can preform rn are just not that impactful.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
EDIT: Looks like @Mommy has similar ideas, and I was probably inspired when reading one of their earlier posts, so our conclusions on the subject are similar (though I came up with a few additional variations myself). I'll credit them for giving me the idea.

Oh, here's an idea for the Mercantile Tradition on the economic policies - rather than locking ANY of the economic policies behind the tradition, why don't you do something that adds a new resource onto the production of ALL trade types - including Trade League.

Then the regular nations can still keep Consumer Benefits and Marketplace of Ideas, and the Tradition doesn't become a "Dead Tradition" with a useless effect for Trade League Federations.

For example, a tradition that makes all Trade Policy type add a small amount of Science per trade (with the idea that its due to the exchange of scientific ideas through the gadgets the traders bring and from them talking to people on the planet and then mentioning it elsewhere) or a small trickle of food and minerals (not enough to complete with Farmers and Miners, but representing more exotic versions of these goods the traders spread throughout your worlds), or maybe even a tiny trickle of strategic resources.

Something that would really reward a trade style and encourage on to play in a different way.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah, but at this point, when I hit 1000, it's better for me saving up alloys to pump up Galactic Wonders faster - so having it at +1000 for a while isn't really a bad choice. My small empire (system wise, not settlement wise) might also be out of good spots for habitats, and need to invest more in its fleet by this point.

Another time I might see my influence hitting +1000 is earlier in the game if I for some reason aren't able to hit the Habitat-tech before year 2250.

But most importantly: I prefer this new bonus that will always be good for the rest of the game, instead of the +1 influence that will situationally be good at some point in the game, and then useless again.

This goes back to the idea of playing efficiently with your influence. There always SHOULD be some use for your influence. It doesn’t matter if there is a GOOD spot for habitats at that point, as long as there IS a spot, and you don’t have something more pressing that you want to do with the influence or alloys, you should eventually be building a habitat there rather than letting it go persistently over cap which does no good whatsoever.

Now, I usually don’t even get close to building habitats on every valid planetary body in every system, because there are so many competing uses for influence. In my last game, for instance, I was regularly using my power as Custodian/Emperor to conclude debates early and advance my agenda through the Senate faster, and that ate a lot of influence, to say nothing of all the claims I made.

Now granted, peaceful empires usually aren’t making much in the way of claims, but influence is still one of the most precious resources in the game, and thus one of the worst things you can do in terms of managing your resources is to squander it instead of making it work for you in some way.

Reactions:
Perhaps the Discovery and/or Diplomacy trees could also get +1 first contact skill added to the adoption effect?

• 12Like
Reactions:
I also want it to help me leverage my trade investments into bonuses for areas I'm investing in less

Yeah, I think that is an important think to do with Trade Empires - they need SOMETHING to make Trade stronger, as you have to do more work to collect it than other resources and its currently weaker.

Your Merchant Marine tradition idea is interesting, albeit later in the game you probably have less Trade Hubs due to Gateways allowing you to get away with one central trade collector.

• 2Like
Reactions:
though the unity from Embassies is practically nothing. Make it 10 or 50 to be a consideration.

I'd instead recommend making it a % multiplier so that it remains relevant for the entire game, as even 10 or 50 will eventually be outpaced by a galaxy-spanning empire that is gaining 10s, and big flat numbers (like 50) would be too titanic early in the game.

Reactions:
As someone who have created a tradition mod I'm very happy with these changes. This feels like a much better system than having a large UU with all options. Also happy to see the options being increased.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I kindly ask adding tradition tree for xenocide/FP empires
1. machine adaptability swap
'Refund per demolishing'.

2.new tradition like Plundering / 'Winner takes all' - when I destroy enemy empire by conquering ALL habitable worlds and systems I acquire all supplies.

• 2Like
Reactions: