• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #214: Announcing “The Custodians” initiative and the free Lem Update

Greetings!

Today I am here to announce some very good news! Stellaris is not slowing down, but rather picking up the pace! We at PDS Green are very happy to announce our new “Custodians” initiative as well as the next free update, coming sometime after summer.

The Custodian Team
Stellaris as a game has been very exploratory, and the game has seen a lot of big changes over the years. I want to start by giving some insight into why we’ve chosen to focus on this initiative.

As we’ve released more expansions we’ve had to take longer and longer between each release, as we’ve needed to spend more time on focusing on quality, making sure each release is as stable as possible. Paradox Development Studio also looks very different today vs. how it looked just a few years ago. Things take longer, there are more processes in place, and there are a lot more people involved. Because each release is now further apart, it makes it harder for us to address some of the outstanding issues that might be affecting the community between DLC releases.

As we’ve added more content it's also been harder to polish and maintain all of the amazing existing content that we’ve added over the years. We want to keep creating new cool experiences for Stellaris, but we also want to be able to maintain a high quality for the base game itself, and for older content.

What we have done now is that we’ve staffed up, and split the Stellaris team into two teams that focus on different aspects of the game. One team, that we call “the Custodians” team, will focus on free updates that we aim to release every 3 months, while the “expansion team” will focus on creating new content for the game.

Examples of what “The Custodians” could be working on:
  • Tweaking game balance
  • Adding new content to old DLC
  • Polishing existing content
  • Bug fixes
  • Performance improvements
  • AI improvements
  • Multiplayer stability
  • UI and quality-of-life improvements

This does not mean that the game will suddenly “be fixed” or done (whatever that means). Together with you, the community, we now have a better opportunity than ever to keep improving the game. In fact, I think working with the community is going to be crucial to really make this work well. We are going to need to improve how we communicate with each other, so that we can better understand each other.

What “The Custodians” initiative is not
It is very important that you understand that “The Custodians” initiative is no magic bullet or quick fix. We’re in this for the long run, and we hope you are too.

We will need to manage our expectations and small, incremental improvements with more regular updates should be our approach.

Honoring Stanislaw Lem
The first free Update, the Lem Update, will be named in honor of the Polish sci-fi author Stanislaw Lem, whose 100th anniversary is being celebrated this year. Stanislaw Lem is famous for works such as Solaris, which has already inspired the Stellaris you know today. The Lem Update is currently scheduled for release sometime after summer.

To set expectations more clearly, the Lem Update will be a bit more ambitious and larger in scope compared to what you can come to expect from “Custodian” updates in the future. The reason is that we’ve had a longer time to work on it than what is planned for future updates. It’s also important to note that as of now, the Lem update is scheduled to be a standalone free update, and will not be associated with a paid DLC.

The Lem Update planned features:
  • Buffing the Backlog: We’re reviewing some old DLC to revitalize them with some new content. Humanoids Species Pack and Plantoids Species Packs will now feature some new gameplay features. By the way, did anyone say Necrophage Hive Minds?
  • Selectable Traditions Trees: You will no longer be locked to the same 7 tradition trees, but you will instead have 7 slots that can be filled with a tradition tree of your choice. The number of tradition trees will be expanded, and previous tradition-tree swaps will be broken out into their own trees (Adaptability will no longer be a swap of Diplomacy for example). Some new tradition trees will also be added to existing DLCs.
  • Balance Pass: We will be doing a balance pass on some existing gameplay systems and features.
  • And more..!: Quality of life improvements, bug fixes, AI improvements...

We will go into more detail about these features in future dev diaries, but for now I will leave it at that. We’ll be back next week to talk a bit about some thoughts regarding game balance.

1622707516974.png

No longer will your empire have to suffer the mediocrity of artisans.

• 498Love
  • 260Like
Reactions:
with more regular updates

The Lem Update is currently scheduled for release sometime after summer.

Soo the next update is in 3 months. More regular updates, right ...

And from Wiki:

"Sometime after summer" and this guy's birthday on 12th / 13th September.

I think that's pretty much the upcoming schedule then. We will have a summer free of other changes.

Would be nice to have a least a 3.0.4 for what little bridging fixes in between these 3 months.

This.

Otherwise, it's great news that the team is finally split and each has different priorities. Like to that.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Honestly, guys, I logged just to say you are doing a fantastic job. The 3.0 update (3.0.3 specifically) has been a massive improvement over any 2.x patch for me in terms of actual gameplay and now you come with this anouncement about balancing things. It's amazing. Keep it up guys.

• 15Like
Reactions:
Selectable Traditions Trees: You will no longer be locked to the same 7 tradition trees, but you will instead have 7 slots that can be filled with a tradition tree of your choice. The number of tradition trees will be expanded, and previous tradition-tree swaps will be broken out into their own trees (Adaptability will no longer be a swap of Diplomacy for example). Some new tradition trees will also be added to existing DLCs.
Excuse me, this is awesome. I didn't even bother to read back whether someone else commented this, it excited me so much.

• 12Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
So these additions to humanoids and plantoids will they be like the necrosis or like the lithoids? I personally prefer the approach of the necroids. Any species can become necros and is allowed to pick the origin. Imho portraits and ship assets should stay purely cosmetical and additional mechanics should be available to anyone.

Also can you please please please give us an expansion planner for branch offices. It is such a pain to find the best planets to build them.

• 4Like
Reactions:
This does not mean that the game will suddenly “be fixed” or done (whatever that means). Together with you, the community, we now have a better opportunity than ever to keep improving the game. In fact, I think working with the community is going to be crucial to really make this work well. We are going to need to improve how we communicate with each other, so that we can better understand each other.
Any chance of a commitment to open betas of free updates prior to release?

Lmao EU4 fell so hard that it's rumble even reached space
Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with EU4. I've been trying to get this going for a good while.

I just hope the devs don't reform themselves into the Galactic Emperor team.
1622721827377.png

#################################

Custodian Team is a good name for this. What do we name the team that comes in every DLC cycle and leaves a huge mess everywhere? The Poo-flinging Monkey Team?
We'll name that team "Team Cymsdale" obviously. Duh.

• 69Haha
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Having to regularly update my guide, adjusting the ranking etc.. is a small price to pay for having new additions and balance passes on old content. Not many companies do anything remotely close to this, so kudos to Paradox for this decision ;)

• 4Like
Reactions:
  • Buffing the Backlog: We’re reviewing some old DLC to revitalize them with some new content. Humanoids Species Pack and Plantoids Species Packs will now feature some new gameplay features. By the way, did anyone say Necrophage Hive Minds?
  • Selectable Traditions Trees: You will no longer be locked to the same 7 tradition trees, but you will instead have 7 slots that can be filled with a tradition tree of your choice. The number of tradition trees will be expanded, and previous tradition-tree swaps will be broken out into their own trees (Adaptability will no longer be a swap of Diplomacy for example). Some new tradition trees will also be added to existing DLCs.
  • Balance Pass: We will be doing a balance pass on some existing gameplay systems and features.
  • And more..!: Quality of life improvements, bug fixes, AI improvements...

As someone who has been asking for better balance and more gameplay variety, this means everything to me. Also yes, Necrophage Hiveminds! Finally!

I would also like to remind you guys about the Horizon Signal Event, which is sadly unavailable for Gestalts. And the Nivlac Event is sadly unavailable for Hiveminds, even though Driven Assimilators and Rogue Servitors can get it.

There is so much content in terms of events in the game, but sadly a lot of it is locked for Gestalts. You can easily expand gameplay options for Gestalts simply by going over the events and coming up with solutions as to how to implement them for Gestalts.

The Horizon Signal, easily everyone's favourite event, should be available for all players to enjoy and it would only mean a handful of lines to be rewritten. This goes for a lot of Events which are not possible for Gestalts.

As you described in your post, there are a lot of little things which are outdated. For example, please take a look at some of the Relics, Origins and Balance them properly.
  • The Yuth Cryo Core only offers +1 pop on new colonies as a passive effect.
  • The Javorian Pox Sample only offers +20 years leader lifespan as a passive effect.
  • The Prethoryn Brood Queen only offers a flat +30 society research as a passive effect.
  • The Tomb World Origin' bonuses are extremely lackluster when compared to that other origins like Prosperous Unification.
  • The Void Dweller Origin is still locked for Gestalts, which saddens lots of players.
  • Gestalt Rulers have no Ruler traits and no Agendas. They used to have Ruler traits, but you removed them and never added them back.
  • Simply giving players the option to select from a pool of Ruler Traits for their Gestalt rulers has been requested many times and would offer so much more player agency, while also making Gestalt rulers more unique compared to non-Gestalt rulers, which have randomly generated ruler traits.
Those are just some suggestions or issues which have been brought up by players over and over. Maybe you had some of them on your radar already, maybe not.

Either way I am extremely grateful that your team is taking time to update the game where updates are needed. I wish you lots of success!

Last edited:
  • 12Like
Reactions:
Finally! This step was much needed since 2.2 and Megacorps.

What are the chances that the Custodian team will inspect the various big community fixes/mods that address some of the major issues in the game?

For example:
Ariphaos Unofficial Patch (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1995601384) for bug fixes.
Aggressive Crisis Engine (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2268189539) for Crisis fixes and improvements.
StarTech AI (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2494712590) for major AI improvements in tech advancement, economy management/recovery and alloy production.
Improved Planet and Sector Automation (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1764704051)

I think your team @grekulf @Eladrin could gain a lot of insights/inspiration from these mods, that would make the game better in the long term.

My hope is that the community and the Custodians can have a good dialogue and together figure out what is good to fix. We also need to set the proper expectations.

• 63Like
Reactions:
That's some excellent news!

With many of the last few DLCs I've thought that the devs created a good framework and a few "samples" but in the end it always felt lacking in content.

Also, I've always said that I'd be more than happy to buy a big "MOAR" DLC: no fancy new features, just more events, more anomalies, more archaeology sites, more relics, more Leviathans, etc...
This kind of DLC would also have the added benefit of not increasing the complexity of the game further and further

If this initiative means we're moving towards those goals, I'll be very happy!

• 12Like
Reactions:
My hope is that the community and the Custodians can have a good dialogue and together figure out what is good to fix. We also need to set the proper expectations.
Perhaps introducing who these custodians are and encouraging a presence on the forums would help with all of this.

• 6Like
Reactions:
This is actually incredibly exciting! This game has sorely needed ongoing attention between releases, and knowing that this initiative is happening is not only exciting for the ongoing health of the game, but bodes really wel for future expansions as well.

Great work!

• 2Like
Reactions:
well, the custodian gets a large bonus to diplomatic weight and can push the fixes resolutions it wants every so often. But there are a lot of members in the stellaris galactic community, so their combined diplomatic weight might sway the vote

• 5Haha
Reactions: