• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #211: 3.0.3 Beta Updates

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the tremendous participation within the 3.0.3 beta branch and for all of the feedback that you've been providing.

For those that are interested in joining the beta, you have to manually opt in to access it. Go to your Steam library, right click on Stellaris -> Properties -> betas tab -> select "stellaris_test" branch.

This week we'll be talking about some more changes that we're planning on pushing in the near future to the 3.0.3 beta branch concerning further balance updates, AI, and more. These are highlights of some of the things that will be in the full patch notes and not intended to be a comprehensive list.

Bug Fixes and Further Balance Updates

From fixes to the end of the Cybrex precursor chain to correcting edict deactivation costs, we've fixed a number of issues that you've found and reported during the beta. Thank you for reporting things in the Bug Reports forum.

Regarding the economic changes, one of the common themes in the feedback has been that the sheer number of jobs in the game are too high, and we agree. Clerks are especially notorious for this, since in many cases you would rather actually see them unemployed and moving to a more valuable position elsewhere in the empire. We're taking some preliminary steps to reduce the number of jobs and changing things to focus on increasing productivity instead.

Here are some of the changes you'll be seeing soon:
  • [Balance] Reduced the number of Clerk jobs provided by buildings and districts by 40%.
  • [Balance] Clerk trade value has been increased to 4.
1620222575947.png

• [Balance] Buildings that increased basic resource production and added jobs to basic resource producing buildings or districts (Energy Grids, Mineral Purification Plants, etc.) now increase the base production of the relevant jobs by 1 or 2 based on tier instead of their previous modifiers. Machine empires still gain the extra resource district slots as before.

1620221727568.png

Yes, "Livestock" counts as a "Food producing job". (Or minerals, for Lithoids.)
  • [Balance] Manufacturing focus buildings (factories and foundries) no longer prevent the other from being built on non-Ecumenopolis planets, and no longer add jobs to Industrial Districts. They instead increase the base production of alloy or consumer goods producing jobs by 1 or 2, with a corresponding increase in upkeep.
1620222368228.png

Secondary resources like Alloys do require more inputs to produce more, however.

Balancing the number of jobs and their output will be an ongoing task, expect future updates to have additional changes.

AI Updates

We're making some updates that will have significant changes to AI behavior that should improve the effectiveness of AI opponents, as well as some changes to reduce the impact to your empire if an AI were to take control of your empire for a short duration in multiplayer.

These changes give the AI a greater focus on economic stability and improves some research related behaviors, but are also a work in progress and will continue to be updated in future patches.

We'll put up a 3.0.3 AI Feedback thread once it's live so you can let us know how you feel about these changes.

Population Growth

We're continuing to make adjustments to the current population growth systems in the game, and are exploring additional changes. Some of these are longer term initiatives, however, so in the meantime we're currently adding a quality of life feature that many people have been asking for.

1620222442422.png

Logistic Growth and Growth Required Sliders in Galaxy Configuration

These sliders will allow you to adjust the variables related to the bonus a planet can provide through logistic growth and the amount that pop growth increases per empire pop using sliders in Galaxy Configuration instead of needing to edit defines or use a mod to do so. Please note that these sliders can have major impacts on both performance and balance. Existing saves will use the default values. (Which can themselves be overridden in defines.)

Non-English localization for these changes will not be available in the beta as soon as the changes are up, but will be added shortly afterward. Apologies for the delay!

That's all for this week. Since we're currently in a post-release cadence (as well as next Thursday being a holiday in Sweden), the next Dev Diary will be two weeks from now on the 20th of May.

See you then!

• 203Like
  • 60Love
Reactions:
This all looks like a really positive and heading in the right direction. Looking forward to it.

I do think Paradox might come to regret adding the ability to turn off the growth modifiers in the settings. Creating an "opt-out" of the new mechanics is going to create a subset of players who are essentially playing a different "mode" of Stellaris to everyone else - a mode that will become more and more unbalanced/broken with every balance change to the "real" game. I wonder if "so in the meantime we're currently adding a quality of life feature that many people have been asking for" means those settings are just for the Beta and won't be rolled out to the proper release?

I definitely read it as being temporary. It has the added benefit of them being able to get information on what players are choosing to use as well as giving people the option to play around and see how it feels without having to use mods.

I would be very surprised if such a slider went to live, because it would be a complete abdication of trying to balance the game.

I'm really happy they're going to use a rolling beta style system here. I think it's the best way to tackle complicated problems like pop growth and economy balance, since they have an army of play testers providing feedback and real world play that way.

Reactions:
Planetary logistic growth does not reduce pop counts at all. Planetary logistic growth dramatically increases pop counts.
... dramatically increases pop counts in the early- and mid-game, you mean? Because as I recall from 2.8, every planet ended up filled to the brim, and logistic growth can't do worse than that.

Reactions:
To answer a handful of questions that have been asked:
  • Patch notes for the bug fixes the latest beta will include should come out alongside when the beta updates.
  • The update to the beta will come Soon™, but I can't say when!
  • Logistic Growth Ceiling = How much extra growth you gain from the population of the planet. (Currently capped at +3 in the open beta.)
  • Growth Required Scaling = How much the growth (or assembly) increases by per Pop you have in your empire. (Currently 0.25x in the open beta.)

• 6Like
Reactions:
Can you quickly describe what "Logistic Growth Ceiling" is?
The a planet's pop growth for being in the middle of the curve is. If it's set to 1.5, they get a 50% bonus.

Is there any way to remove Logistic growth entirely?
Setting the Logistic Growth Ceiling will remove the bonus, but it does still leave the downward curve when the planet is almost full. You could disable it entirely by setting the ceiling to 1, and using a mod that changes LOGISTIC_POP_GROWTH_FLOOR in defines to 1.

Hm, did not expect those pop growth sliders - I wonder how far they go?
Ceiling goes from x1 (no bonuses) to x2 (double growth).

Empire Pop Growth Scale goes from +0 to +1.

• 9Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
No. This is acknowledging the fact that infinite pops kills performance, but that some players will ignore this reality and instead nag about performance improvements that cannot be made.

Now you have control, and those players can finally shut up.
Performance improvement can and should always be improved so players are given larger amount of pops to play with before the same level of performance degradation. I find it quite odd for a modder to be this defeatist and declare the base game cannot be fundamentally improved.

Reactions:
I agree. I didn't say otherwise.
I know, but saying the slider should stop discussion on the mechanic can easily be understood to imply no further debate of said mechanic is needed. Not saying that's what you meant tho.

Reactions:
Once again, I am kindly asking for a define to turn off the housing component of Logistic growth, but keeping the growth from Planet Pops! :D

Or just a separate growth_per_organic_pop.

Please? D:

The a planet's pop growth for being in the middle of the curve is. If it's set to 1.5, they get a 50% bonus.

Setting the Logistic Growth Ceiling will remove the bonus, but it does still leave the downward curve when the planet is almost full. You could disable it entirely by setting the ceiling to 1, and using a mod that changes LOGISTIC_POP_GROWTH_FLOOR in defines to 1.

Ceiling goes from x1 (no bonuses) to x2 (double growth).

Empire Pop Growth Scale goes from +0 to +1.
Thank you! Much appreciated. I forgot to say Enjoy the Holiday/Break! All the best.

Good changes but still, late game habitats and ring worlds are so difficult to fill because of empire pop penalty. Maybe you should add something like immigration bonuses and extra replicator job to megastructures.

Edit: And maybe increase the occupation cost of a planet? Resistance and stuff. After the empire pop penalty, it is so much better to attack and conquer others planets to gain more pops and it is so easy to stabilize the planet you conquered and make it yours completely.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I could see how sliders might make it difficult to get uniform, helpful feedback, as they increase the variables between games, particularly in areas that the devs are trying to improve. Devs, are you going to have a new way of getting helpful feedback (e.g. make commenters list their slider details) or do you plan on doing something else to gauge overall opinions, such as developing changes and removing sliders with a future update?

• 2Like
Reactions:
To answer a handful of questions that have been asked:
  • Patch notes for the bug fixes the latest beta will include should come out alongside when the beta updates.
  • The update to the beta will come Soon™, but I can't say when!
  • Logistic Growth Ceiling = How much extra growth you gain from the population of the planet. (Currently capped at +3 in the open beta.)
  • Growth Required Scaling = How much the growth (or assembly) increases by per Pop you have in your empire. (Currently 0.25x in the open beta.)
Will the current version of the Beta remain available (I ask mainly because I want to finish a game, I look forward to the new changes)

Reactions:
We're making some updates that will have significant changes to AI behavior that should improve the effectiveness of AI opponents,

Have you fixed the reported AI issues of Unbidden never actually killing off empires, even after holding military supremacy across the galaxy for centuries?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Regarding the economic changes, one of the common themes in the feedback has been that the sheer number of jobs in the game are too high, and we agree.
Then reduce it? What's the problem?
Bonus points for making pops less important for resource acquisition - which is kind of the reason for people always trying to get more pops and maximizing growth.
Clerks are especially notorious for this, since in many cases you would rather actually see them unemployed and moving to a more valuable position elsewhere in the empire.
And you know why clerks are so "notorious", especially now? Because now (even as agrarian idyll) you are forced to build cities in order to open up building slots. Not to mention, carrying capacity that affects pop growth, forcing you to have certain pop/capacity ratio to maximize it. This results in increased amount of clerk jobs; has nothing to do with commerce zones providing such a "huge" amount of clerk positions "begging" to be filled (who builds those things anyway, outside of resort worlds?).
We're taking some preliminary steps to reduce the number of jobs and changing things to focus on increasing productivity instead.
Why you you have to increase productivity? Fairly sure that there was a notion that pacing is to fast for default rules? By increasing productivity along with reducing amount of jobs you are not moving in that direction at all.
Logistic Growth and Growth Required Sliders in Galaxy Configuration
So, you kind of giving up on properly balancing it? Oh well, looking forward for ability to disable the whole thing (provided I understood what it does).

• 5Like
Reactions:
Is any rework of the productivity tech planned? I mean for this problem