Stellaris Dev Diary #205: Announcing the 3.0 ‘Dick’ Update

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
How will the pop changes impact tech pacing and snowballing?

There's an impact. Since pops are a rarer resource, and there's a slight counter-snowball mechanic since each pop increases the cost of the next, it takes a longer to spiral out of control. (Which does make the game somewhat harder in some ways.)

Now, I don't expect that it will stop the most skilled players, but in theory it's a bit more challenging.

How much from dev diary 191 is going to make it in?
The changes listed there are in the 3.0 'Dick' update. (Though in Dev Diary 192 I listed some major changes we made to automatic resettlement.)

Is there a way to take a planet out of the outliner?
World Crackers are an extremely effective way.

Why not the "Philip" update :p
Stellaris updates have all used the last names of sci-fi authors.

• 35Like
  • 23Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Great, three blues are answering my question and all three of them are trolling :p

I would like to keep the planet intact, in my control and with it's population unharmed, please. I just would like it to not be in the list of important things I care about!
(because currently all your planets come before all your fleets, so sorting the unimportant/finished planets to the bottom would not actually make the UI any less cluttered with unimportant information and you would still have to scroll down all the way to your fleets, as soon as you own more planets than the UI can handle.

Unfortunately, I don't believe you can remove a planet from the outliner in that way, but you can use the UI shown below to reorder the outliner so your fleets are displayed first.
1616066679716.png

The outliner can also be toggled to show the icons for the designations instead of the icon for the planet class.

• 12Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Oh, and please show whether the system is inhabited SEPARATELY from whether it's occupied. It's currently very hard to find your enemy's planets after you've occupied all their systems, because the flag that normally indicates an inhabited system is overwritten by your occupation flag, for both inhabited and uninhabited systems.
This is actually visible from the occupation flag.

1616075440657.png

In this example, I fully occupy Ydria, but only partially occupy Rabinoc. The little spikes on the occupation flag show the difference.

There was nothing wrong with "decryption".
Both ending in "-cryption" was causing issues.

Is there a define in 00_defines.txt to set this pop cost increase to zero?
Yes.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Why would all of my spies become three times as productive just because I started spying on a country three times the size of my previous target?
Infiltration speed is scaled by a modifier based on the target empire's size. Larger empires are easier to build a spy network in. (Which also means that you'll be able to recover from an operation faster against a sprawling opponent.)

I would add my voice to the chorus that those spikes are FAR too small.
I was just pointing out that it already exists, not that I love how tiny the markers are.

• 13Like
Reactions:
I mostly care about the economic rework and the pop management changes. This is your chance to fix the Hivemind energy economy. Because of their terrible Energy output, Hiveminds are deep in negative Energy output for the first 50 years and must sell food to get by.

Everyone knows Hivemind economy is extremely micromanagement intensive, because you need to produce only food and keep selling that food daily on the market to keep it at high price. This could easily be fixed if you Increase the base Energy output of pops and decrease the base food output to be the same level. Machine Empires are of course drowning in Energy credits. And so are regular empires because the best use of artifacts from archaeology is to just sell them.

One of my recent campaigns while looking at the economy was a lithoid hive-mind, and I can honestly say I ran into very few issues with my economy. The worst I suffered with energy income was when I suddenly needed a decent food income and was shifting drones to food production (and then I sold rare resources and minerals until my economy stabilised). Otherwise the most I've done that I would describe as micro-managing is disabling some excess maintenance drone jobs on my research and foundry worlds.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Question: using console commands (to replace my millions of alloy buildings), is this save game compatible?

You'll run into a couple of issues as no-one in the galaxy will have industrial districts to produce alloys, but if you want to use console commands to fix every empire in the galaxy, the save should load. I wouldn't recommend this though.

• 1Haha
Reactions: