• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #202: Nemesis Ship Set & Art Direction

Hello, my name is Simon Gunnarsson, I'm the Art Lead and acting Art Director for Stellaris. I wanted to go through our process of developing a style for a new ship series that will be added to the game when Nemesis is released. I'll go through the steps from the initial meeting with our game director, Daniel Moregård, through the visual development (vis-dev), concept art production and finally end at 3D production, that includes animation and VFX.

Initial Art Direction

For this time around, we had a player fantasy to cater to, so our mission statement became our guiding star throughout the process. We sat down with the game director that resulted in the imperial thematic direction. Which was enough for us to start doing some word associations to kick off the creative process.

1614092171020.png

The closer the top a word is, the more influence it should have in our direction. We held ourselves to these words even when we changed our visual direction in the middle of the vis-dev.

These first associations were part of the first brief we put together to the concept team. The theme invites for interpretations so it's important that we also define the initial art direction with supporting images, splitting the line between "what it is" and "what it isn't" is equally necessary.

With these things in mind, we curate an initial aesthetic that we think is worth exploring, so the concept team has some anchor to the vision. For the imperial aesthetic we wanted them to explore a bright and ornamental direction at first. We always enable our team to add their own touch to these curated directions, but also encourage them to also explore other paths.

Vis-dev
We had several people working with the vis-dev, all bringing their own unique take on the brief we gave them. This process is quite hard, closing doors on designs and actually drive the art direction forward is a difficult task, with all the viable options at hand, we have to be quite picky, and measure against the words that we came up with.

Asking questions like, is this conveying an imperial and dominant feeling, what works well with this specific design and what doesn't. These questions are crucial in driving the vis-dev forward.

1614092412573.png

Concept-art made by Alessandro Bragalini

1614092457152.png

Concept-art made by Ecbel Oueslati

1614092493639.png

Concept-art made by Mattias Larsson

1614092530863.png

Concept-art made by Simon Gunnarsson (me!)

1614092609571.png

Concept-art made by Ylva Ljungqvist

There were concerns towards the mid-point of the vis-dev. The way the light works in Stellaris could make it so that white looks quite muddy. There's a chance that white takes too much color from the light and makes it look quite weird in some occasions.

So we iterated the curated art direction into a dark aesthetic. We made it more forgiving no matter what empire color the players chose, the ships will most likely look appealing in every instance.

The new aesthetic still had to hold true towards the associated words from the beginning. So we focused on more brutalist style, dark with silver details.

1614092696383.png

Final concept-art made by Simon Gunnarsson

Style Guide
The end of the vis-dev should result in a style guide, a document that should communicate the vision and the aesthetic, with extracted details and breakdowns. It is used by the whole team, from animators to VFX so it needs to be quite descriptive.

For example, below is a breakdown of materials that 3D artists will use as a guide to creating them.

1614092771319.png

Production

The actual concept art production is the bulk of our workload. It's where we create actual blueprints for 3D artists to follow. But it's really just a linear but iterative process to get to a final result. We start with sketching some ideas, and we slowly commit more and more to certain aspects until we have a design we like, then we refine it, add materials and ultimately a final asset sheet is created.

1614092955127.png

Initial sketches

1614092983858.png

Concept artist use 3D to easier present the ship and get a better feel for the design

1614093014152.png

Laying down material patterns, starting with a broad design then adding secondary and tertiary level of material details

1614093048745.png

1614093093601.png

Finalized asset sheet, complete with materials and material ID for the 3D artists to follow

1614093132872.png

1614093142491.png

In-game final asset

The end, but not quite!

This is our process with every new ship aesthetic, but the ships have a few more stops on the road before they're truly final, both animation, VFX and audio will get their hands on these before the full process is complete!

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post, here's a Nemesis (imperial style) titan! You will hear from our VFX artist, Erik Forsström, in a Dev Diary in a near future!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 147Like
  • 65Love
Reactions:
"Too overtly evil"? Emperor Palpatine?! How do you mean?
Not only did he bring peace and stability to the entire war-torn galaxy but he is also a swell grandpa!
Don't be juding him so harshly just because he is wrinkled and walking around in black nightgown !
Judging someone by his appearance is what bigots do -_-
Yea he replaced a very corrupt old institution with his new empire (the fact that the new empire was just as corrupt as the republic is not worthy of a mention).

If you go by the old lore (before disney) he even had a legitimate reason to build the death star (a approaching intergalactic invasion where that amount of firepower was necessary, in fact he was planning to build several more).

*Hides the xenophobia, slave labor, work camps, and purging underneath a rug*

• 4Like
Reactions:
Also two more stupid questions from me:

- Will the Digital Collector’s Book from the Galaxy version of Stellaris be updated with the newest concept arts?

- Any chances to get wallpapers with all the designs (the in-game ones and the ones that have been scrapped but existed at the concept-art phrase of project) that were created? Be it done as a product or on your own free time (provided that you have some free time).

Reactions:
Looks good, but i really wish you guys could pump a little bit more workforce/money in the overall shipsets. Why does every shipset have to be elongated, where are the cubes and spheres or really exotic looking stuff. Every juggernaut is a wing and all the megastructures look the same.
Just do a community competition for future sets (with inbuild hype for next dlc) or even do overs of the old ones and i am sure you would get a lot of nice stuff from the giant modder base that only requires some finishing touches.
The Titan looks absolutely fantastic though.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Very informative peek at the design process, thank you!

That said, also disappointing that so many good ideas on shape and color ended up resulting in another grey shape very similar to the ones we already have.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Yea he replaced a very corrupt old institution with his new empire (the fact that the new empire was just as corrupt as the republic is not worthy of a mention).

If you go by the old lore (before disney) he even had a legitimate reason to build the death star (a approaching intergalactic invasion where that amount of firepower was necessary, in fact he was planning to build several more).

*Hides the xenophobia, slave labor, work camps, and purging underneath a rug*
1. The first galactic empire coming out was a move to politically & externally match the workings of what was already done under the guise of a republic - that was no more.
It's a more sincere and naive position that flatters the viewer, in making the external apperance of corupt politics match its heart, and to allow the open creation of a rebel force in a black and white confrontation/showdown. It would have been more realistic for the true power to stay hidden behind a puppet republic or a democracy (as is with politics these days QQ) but it doesn't make it attractive to run a show or movie. Finally unspeakable evil, has the problem of pride; It wants to show itself and declare itself as such, so no, if you are unspeakably evil, you need the spikes and skulls and such, otherwise you're still hiding behind the guise of being civil and just.

2. The Death star had no capability as a combat platform. Its usability was fear of extinction, because destroying a planet is a huge waste of resources and assets. It would have zero strategic value, if the galaxy was invaded.

Reactions:
"Too overtly evil"? Emperor Palpatine?! How do you mean?
Not only did he bring peace and stability to the entire war-torn galaxy but he is also a swell grandpa!
Don't be juding him so harshly just because he is wrinkled and walking around in black nightgown!
*Imperial officer voice* These degrading depictions are actually nothing but rebel propaganda. Despite the treacherous attack of the Jedi at the climax of the Clone Wars, the Emperor had recovered fully and remains in good shape to this day.

palpatine_rebels.jpg

If you go by the old lore he even had a legitimate reason to build the death star (a approaching intergalactic invasion where that amount of firepower was necessary, in fact he was planning to build several more).
Honestly, it was kind of a cheap cop-out, to give fascism a 'legitimate reason'. In my view, it's good that this is no longer canon.

Last edited:
  • 4Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I feel a little sad that you completely abandoned the Bright Imperial look.
1. No White/light colours (Black instead)
2. No Gold Embellishments (green Necron look instead)
3. No 19th Century sci-fi (1960s brutalist architecture instead)
4. No Historical Elements (Star Wars prequel films instead for event screens/throne rooms/council chambers etc.)

More ship sets is always nice and obviously a lot of work goes into the product. But I can't help but see it as a bit of a failure when the end result is the exact opposite of the stated intentions and falls into all of the pitfalls you were trying to avoid.

1. So much Red and Black it's overtly, comically evil, with no hint of good left.
2. Both Black body and the Green lights perfectly fit the Necroid theme you were trying to avoid.
3. The Bright imperial theme, all White and Gold, royal and extravagant... was abandoned when you couldn't get the lighting right.

I don't hate it, but instead of a bright imperial look (borrowed from the Imperial Navy of Warhammer 40k or Legend of the Galactic Heroes) we instead have brutalist Necron+Sith designs and event screens. Even the civic icon has been made red when red in traits always means bad/penalty.

Personally If I were trying to fix white reflecting the surrounds and looking ugly or muddy I'd try to make it a fluorescent white coating. So instead of reflecting the surrounding colours it instead glows more brightly the stronger the ambient light, with only the gold details being reflective materials. Also I'd swap the evil red in event screens and icons with white and gold, reserving the red screens for after some big reveal that shows your true nature (like killing all the Jedi, or the civic after a rebellion that reduces its effects).

So... it's great, new ships and art is always welcome. A bit sad the designs didn't actually achieve what you initially intended... the Titan is quite clearly a Venator class star destroyer in my eyes painted black to look more evil with the white and red it normally has removed. While the juggernaut fits as an alternate necroid design that looks like it's made from bits of a Necron Monolith or worked black granite.

In your own key word terms the final designs lack:
Grand, Concealed Evil, Historical, Opulent, Elegant, Dignified, Decorated, Glorious, Divine, Art-Deco, Roman, Gold, Beautiful...
But it's quite good for some other words:
Dominant, Imposing, Imperial, Strict, Dangerous...
adding my own:
Undead, Tomb, Mausoleum, Black, Blocky, Evil

I really hope you figure out how to implement light colours for ships and come back to the bright imperial look in future.

• 5Like
Reactions:
View attachment 685300
View attachment 685301
In-game final asset

The end, but not quite!

This is our process with every new ship aesthetic, but the ships have a few more stops on the road before they're truly final, both animation, VFX and audio will get their hands on these before the full process is complete!

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post, here's a Nemesis (imperial style) titan! You will hear from our VFX artist, Erik Forsström, in a Dev Diary in a near future!

Does this mean that Fallen/Awakened Empires will finally get their version of the Juggernaut? They are technically a Crisis in of themselves when they awaken, but nowadays, it seems all the younger races are getting cooler toys.

The final design is just disgusting !!! You had so many really cool options, but you chose some kind of black box, why !!! Have a conscience, organize a vote, let the players vote on the concept themselves, for you clearly have no idea what the players want.:mad::mad::mad:

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I'll be honest, I like the white and gold more than the brutish black ones because they look more grand and elegant but hey I like the black ones too although a lot less.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
2. The Death star had no capability as a combat platform. Its usability was fear of extinction, because destroying a planet is a huge waste of resources and assets. It would have zero strategic value, if the galaxy was invaded.
In the old (no longer offical since Disney scrapped it all) lore mentioned, the Death Star was not meant to just destroy planets, that was more of a side effect of the power necessary, the incoming enemy had something called worldships that more traditional weaponry was theorized to not be able to handle (the ships where simply too large more along the lines of small mobile planets then ships).

Also, the Death Star is refered to as a battle station and was quite heavily armed and armored, it had plenty of uses as a combat platform (even outside of one shooting normal capital ships or being able to destroy worldships). That is if it didn't have a video game weak point that made the whole thing go boom.

That said, against traditional enemies it would have been more effictive to simply build a large fleet rather then a death star.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
you could have gone for more regal, extravagant colors if white didn't work. Red, Mahogany brown, Purple, maroon, Golden, Silver.

Hell if white is going to be muddied feed into it! White marble and red highlights. Roma Invicta! some inspiration with imperator rome, would have been nice as they had their 2.0 launch.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The art looks amazing, that might become my favorite design for Peacekeeping forces.
Who doesn't want to get freedom, democracy and prosperity brought to you by this.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
I'd love to see a way for an overly dominant egalitarian state to slowly lose itself to the lure of total power. Where even good hearted powers can become imperialistic in the right circumstances... too many wars, too much killing, too many exterminators and devouring swarms, too many necroids eating the weak, and slowly the democratic state loses it's once proud traditions and takes the mantel of divine fist of justice for itself.

"We're moving you for your own good!"
"Shield the planet! Let their evil be caged forever."

Where the UNE becomes the Peacekeepers, bringing peace to the galaxy at the end of a barrel of a gun and a fully armed and shielded warship flotilla, one system at a time.

Reactions:
Wasn't the ship design more rusty and bronze in the sneak peak we got a few weeks back? Or perhaps to that is used for the GDF and not the galactic empire?

Either way, it worked a lot better than just another shade of dark grey.

I do like the shipset, though, and I will most likely use it when the expansion comes out, but sadly it's overshadowed by what could have been in this case.

In the old (no longer offical since Disney scrapped it all) lore mentioned, the Death Star was not meant to just destroy planets, that was more of a side effect of the power necessary, the incoming enemy had something called worldships that more traditional weaponry was theorized to not be able to handle (the ships where simply too large more along the lines of small mobile planets then ships).

Also, the Death Star is refered to as a battle station and was quite heavily armed and armored, it had plenty of uses as a combat platform (even outside of one shooting normal capital ships or being able to destroy worldships). That is if it didn't have a video game weak point that made the whole thing go boom.

That said, against traditional enemies it would have been more effictive to simply build a large fleet rather then a death star.
The old lore was a retcon, because it was created after the movies (episode 4), and was always unofficial - pushed to secondary media.

• 2Like
Reactions: