• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #185: Announcing Necroids

Hello everyone!

Today we bring you some exciting news about our upcoming Species Pack! We’re happy to announce that our next species pack will be themed around death and should allow you to live death to the fullest! Check out the trailer below:

Necroids will feature:
  • 15+1 new portraits (the +1 being machine)
  • 1 new Ship Set
  • 1 new City Set
  • 1 new Room background
  • 1 new Origin
  • 3 new Civics
  • 1 new pre-scripted Empire
  • 1 new Advisor Voice
We wanted to add ships that had a more sinister or evil appearance, and I’m very happy to say we’ve made something really great. We’ll go into more detail about the ships, and give you a peek into the art process, in a future dev diary.

True to the theme, we wanted the portraits to revolve around death, but not look outright undead or decaying. We never intended the Necroids to be specifically undead, but rather themed around death. Similar to the ships, we will be doing a dev diary in the future to give you a peek into the art process, and also reveal all the new portraits. Stay tuned!

Regarding the other features, we have already shown you some of them, such as the Death Cult Civic and the Memorialist Civic. The remaining features will be revealed over the next couple of weeks, and maybe you'll even get to learn about Jeff. But for now, let’s pass the Mishar Cabal into our memories.

---

General Donnten threw her bloodied axe next to Ostiir’s severed head. The others in the Leadership Council would remember this the next time they considered interrupting her in the Mishar Althing.

She pushed past the acolytes that were coming to deal with the corpse. They were annoyed - the rites were always harder if the head was removed - but they would just have to stitch it back together.

Smiling to herself, she left the arena. At least Ostiir would be an obedient little soldier now.

1600944622276.png

Last edited:
  • 138Like
  • 51Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
This really is Stellaris' Sunset Invasion, eh?

Reactions:
The ships and the portrait shown in the store page looks really nice, but I question the timing for this annoncement.

The team went dead silent for almost six months, it would be smarter to offer us something meatier and juicier than a cosmetic pack.

Reactions:
Looks like something I could comfortably pass on.

Looking forward to Dev Diary about sector AI and sector management tools (templates, properly working build queues, etc.)

Reactions:
  • 32Haha
  • 4Like
Reactions:
The ships and the portrait shown in the store page looks really nice, but I question the timing for this annoncement.

The team went dead silent for almost six months, it would be smarter to offer us something meatier and juicier than a cosmetic pack.

To be fair, we know absolutely nothing about the technical details from the next patch.

• 3Like
Reactions:
So will there be a sci-fi explanation for these or we going fantasy?

I know we got the Shroud, but reanimated undead armies seems to be a step towards World of Warcraft fantasy.

Could be similar to the protoss in star craft. They put lethally wounded soldiers in their war machines to continue fighting

• 1Like
Reactions:
Looks like something I could comfortably pass on.

Looking forward to Dev Diary about sector AI and sector management tools (templates, properly working build queues, etc.)

Templates and a Developed auto-migration system is really needed yeah
It's legit unplayable at some point

• 2Like
Reactions:
Why so many dislikes? It's not that this DLC came out of the blue, it was already announced.

Because of the state of the game

Reactions:
While I'm excited for this species pack, I'm really disappointed in the Plantoids DLC and wish it would bring it up to par with the other species packs. After Lithoids, which I felt was done really well, the lack of plantoid-specific mechanics really stood out to me.

Reactions:
To be fair, we know absolutely nothing about the technical details from the next patch.

That's exactly why they should have started talking about that first. We already did the waiting part for months, it's not the time to withhold information for hype purposes (nor even development purposes)

Reactions:
What about all the new rooms that were found in the files months ago? I expected them to be part of the anniversary update, but weren't. Please don't forget these rooms exist and make them available to us.

• 4Like
Reactions: