• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #185: Announcing Necroids

Hello everyone!

Today we bring you some exciting news about our upcoming Species Pack! We’re happy to announce that our next species pack will be themed around death and should allow you to live death to the fullest! Check out the trailer below:

Necroids will feature:
  • 15+1 new portraits (the +1 being machine)
  • 1 new Ship Set
  • 1 new City Set
  • 1 new Room background
  • 1 new Origin
  • 3 new Civics
  • 1 new pre-scripted Empire
  • 1 new Advisor Voice
We wanted to add ships that had a more sinister or evil appearance, and I’m very happy to say we’ve made something really great. We’ll go into more detail about the ships, and give you a peek into the art process, in a future dev diary.

True to the theme, we wanted the portraits to revolve around death, but not look outright undead or decaying. We never intended the Necroids to be specifically undead, but rather themed around death. Similar to the ships, we will be doing a dev diary in the future to give you a peek into the art process, and also reveal all the new portraits. Stay tuned!

Regarding the other features, we have already shown you some of them, such as the Death Cult Civic and the Memorialist Civic. The remaining features will be revealed over the next couple of weeks, and maybe you'll even get to learn about Jeff. But for now, let’s pass the Mishar Cabal into our memories.

---

General Donnten threw her bloodied axe next to Ostiir’s severed head. The others in the Leadership Council would remember this the next time they considered interrupting her in the Mishar Althing.

She pushed past the acolytes that were coming to deal with the corpse. They were annoyed - the rites were always harder if the head was removed - but they would just have to stitch it back together.

Smiling to herself, she left the arena. At least Ostiir would be an obedient little soldier now.

1600944622276.png

Last edited:
  • 138Like
  • 51Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
OK, that was totally unexpected. I'm not really into the whole death-thing, but a new shipset is always welcome. So this will be an instant buy for me.

I hope you don't get sued because of the machine portrait for your "Necroids"

• 2Like
Reactions:
Y'all added zombies before fish. Okay then....

• 5Like
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
then how come some random modders who can only access part of the code can do it?

A fair point, but it's a poor practice to expect freelance modders to fix your code. The fact that a few modders can and have fixed the AI to a great extent when pdox has yet to do so in a few years just makes me more disillusioned.

I genuinely think that species packs and shipsets are great additions to the game and I will happily buy this one once the game isn't such a dumpster fire. I also understand that the art team is not responsible for coding. However, I can no longer accept the excuse "we're always working on it" any longer. If a couple of modders can fix the AI in a few months during their free time, surely a team of professional game developers can fix the AI in a few years during their working hours, right?

• 3Like
Reactions:
A fair point, but it a poor practice to expect freelance modders to fix your code. The fact that a few modders can and have fixed the AI to a great extent when pdox has yet to do so in a few years just makes me more disillusioned.

I genuinely think that species packs and shipsets are great additions to the game and I will happily buy this one once the game isn't such a dumpster fire. I also understand that the art team is not responsible for coding. However, I can no longer accept the excuse "we're always working on it" any longer. If a couple of modders can fix the AI in a few months during their free time, surely a team of professional game developers can fix the AI in a few years during their working hours, right?

Now it's the time to show our disappointment on this post. Hopefully some game news site will come here, see the downvotes and write an article on how bad the AI is atm

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
So will there be a sci-fi explanation for these or we going fantasy?

I know we got the Shroud, but reanimated undead armies seems to be a step towards World of Warcraft fantasy.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Most of the content of this DLC can be scripted by an average modder. Thanks but no thanks.

As it stands, there's no reason to buy, since you're not fixing the mess the stock game is right now.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Interesting premise, however given the stock game is still such a mess I'll be passing on it for now. I'm certain the modding community has, or will, churn/ed out something on par with this pack.

Reactions:
What a joke.

YOU'LL GET MY MONEY WHEN YOU FIX THIS DAMN GAME PARADOX.

• 4Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
fix crisis, fix ai, then ask me for money. if such a fix is coming along the patch, say so, it would be more exiciting than whatever is a part of the dlc.

• 2Like
Reactions:
K imma say it
Im a big fan of new shipsets new flavour dlc's and such, but...
Why are we getting Necroids when everyone is asking for machine shipsets and organic shipsets?
And since stellaris is more of a sci fi space 4x rpg i better hope the undead and undead armies have some explanation.
With the idea of undead armies how come youve not introduced a some sort of crysis with ''zombies'' that would spawn at empire planets that you would need to beat using armies..

• 2Like
Reactions:
I cant get myself hyped for this, this feels pretty underwhelming.

Will the best news for the next big patch come at the end? These should really be of technical and balancing nature...

• 1Like
Reactions: