• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #183 : Memory Allocation

Chronicle Drone Unit-W3 swept the plaza, as it did once every ten days since its creation. Before that, Unit-V3 had performed this duty until a piece of crumbling masonry crushed it beneath tons of rubble. Unit-W3’s first assignment was to remove that debris.

The Mollarnock Commonwealth was once a mighty empire of a dozen planets, ruled from the glistening spires of their ecumenopolis capital, Azure Chalice. The Chardin Process created Director, a gestalt consciousness that could coordinate the many machine servants of the Mollarnock. They toiled so their Mollarnock masters could spend their time on arts, sciences, and philosophy.

1599643966134.png

But all things fall.

The colonies had been destroyed during the Discovery War, reduced to radioactive rubble by an unforgiving foe. To deny their enemy the victory they craved and to prevent them from seizing the jewel of the empire, Chancellor Rhosen chose to end things on their own terms and released a terrible bioweapon, rendering Azure Chalice uninhabitable for centuries.

Those centuries passed.

The Chardin Mechanicals collected the dead and interred them with the Sanctuaries of Repose. Their struggle to maintain the planet was admirable but doomed - scavenging, repurposing, and reallocating materials could only do so much. Without a stream of resources coming from the colonies, they were losing the battle to keep it from decaying.

A program to return to the stars once controlled by their creators was begun.

1599644021568.png

The Mollarnock may have destroyed themselves four hundred and eighty seven years ago, but they would never be forgotten.

---

Stellaris is full of stories - some that we tell you, but so many more that you tell us that emerge from the gameplay.

This is the story of the Mollarnock, destroyed by a terrible enemy and those that were left behind.

Memorialist is a new civic we have planned to bring you in a future release. Unlike many current civics, it will be available to regular, machine, and hive empires. (They say that Megacorps try to resist remembering anything unless it directly impacts the next Quarterly Report.)

1599643726174.png

Machine Empire Memorialist Civic

1599643759986.png

Regular Empire Memorialist Civic

1599643770637.png

Hive Empire Memorial Civic

Dedicated to remembering the fallen and studying the inevitability of death, Memorialists replace the Autochthon Monument set with a different series of buildings: the Sanctuary of Repose, Pillar of Quietus, and Galactic Memorial. These buildings provide Stability and Chronicler jobs, with additional benefits for Relic or Tomb Worlds. (Government Ethics Attraction for normal empires, and Deviancy reduction for gestalts.)

Gestalt Memorialists may take a slightly different and more philosophical view of death, seeking to learn the nature of something that they cannot truly understand.

1599643796601.png

Sanctuary of Repose Building - Gestalt

1599643805510.png

Sanctuary of Repose Building - Normal

1599643816794.png

Pillar of Quietus Building - Gestalt

1599643831148.png

Pillar of Quietus Building - Normal

1599643843510.png

Galactic Memorial Building - Gestalt

1599643852823.png

Galactic Memorial Building - Regular

Flat stability boosts of these magnitudes are extremely rare, especially in gestalt empires. The added benefits on Relic and Tomb Worlds provide a little bit of extra flavor.

1599643871107.png

Chronicle Drone Job (Machine - the Hive version is similar but eats food or minerals as appropriate.)

1599643881170.png

Death Chronicler Job

Memorialists (including gestalt ones) will also find that occasionally they may have access to more solemn responses (such as those sometimes restricted to Spiritualists) to certain events that happen throughout the game, perhaps making it attractive to those wishing to roleplay a kinder (if not necessarily gentler) hive. I’d recommend combining Memorialist and Empath for maximum fluffiness.

Next week we’ll see how far a Megacorp will go to maximize profits and also take a glimpse into life in the Mishar Cabal.

---

Chardin was the name of the Scientist I started with in charge of Engineering research when I made the Mollarnock Commonwealth, so got all the credit for the Chardin Process.

• 100Like
  • 29Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Is that a new city set I'm seeing?

Also, yes, an interesting idea of a civic, but you're wrong about Megacorps: Quarterly Reports aren't the only things important to them. There are also Yearly Reports to consider.

• 24Like
  • 18Haha
Reactions:
1599643759986.png

Regular Empire Memorialist Civic

"Continuous cycles"? I can think of at least two entities that might have thoughts about that one...

• 4Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
  • 34Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
"What if there had been countless races, stretching back into infinity. And like the nine cities of Troy, each civilization had been built on the rubble of the one that came before. Each... annihilated by the Shivans."

Love the idea of civilisation dedicated to the tombs of the predecesors. Now I want my mad scientist civilisation, like the Brainiac or the Altarans.

• 7Like
Reactions:
And the remnant version of my Council of Odus (first faction I created when I first booted the game and if ever lose my save, it will be the first recreated) is now complete. Remnant, inward perfection, memorialist, materialist.

While the startup version is pacifist, mechanist, technocrat, but still don't have a permanent second civic for that variation, so usually just go with meritocracy, diplomatic corps or byzantine bureaucracy depending on how I feel.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Great dev diary, and yet I am somehow still disappointed about the bait and switch. I was expecting a dry, technical dev diary and I got a melancholy flavored one and I would like a refund please.

• 19Haha
  • 6Like
Reactions:
The city disign we see in the first picture, it will be in the next update / dlc ? With a new ship disign ? Or even a new species phenotype ?
Good DD otherwise, as a RP player, I love this kind of adding.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Nice diversion with the title. Will hold a few people off reading it, I bet :D
I was expecting to read about performance issues of Stellaris and fixes to neverewnding stuttering, lags and maybe memory leaks.
Great dev diary, and yet I am somehow still disappointed about the bait and switch. I was expecting a dry, technical dev diary and I got a melancholy flavored one and I would like a refund please.
I could oblige if you really insist, but I'm afraid there isn't much to tell about memory allocation in Stellaris. Except maybe that they make modifier update slower than I'd like and I hate it...

• 27Haha
  • 8Like
Reactions:
I totally came into this here thread with the expectation to read another technical diary. I would like a refund please, in the form of a patch ;P

Reactions: