• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #177 - Edict Rework

Greetings!

Today we’ll touch upon a subject dear to the hearts of many galactic rulers - namely Edicts!

Background
Edicts are meant to be a way for your empire to focus on certain issues without necessarily taking a permanent stance on them. More permanent stances on issues would be covered by Policies.

Although we felt that Edicts do fit this role pretty well, there were a couple of issues with the system that we think could be improved. The fact that Edicts would always time out felt like a little bit of unnecessary micromanagement at times, and didn’t really emphasize the feeling of “I am choosing to focus on these 2 things right now”. We felt that it would fit better if Edicts had a greater emphasis on making choices that you can go back and change, rather than being things you constantly go in and refresh.

upload_2020-4-23_12-25-43.png

An old friend with a slight makeover. Some Edicts are now toggled on/off instead of being on a timer.

Edict Capacity
Enter Edict Capacity – a new mechanic that puts a soft limit on how many Edicts of a certain type that you can have active at once. Similar to Starbase Capacity, your empire will suffer penalties if you exceed it, and the penalty in this case being Empire Sprawl. For every toggled and active Edict above the Edict Capacity, your Empire Sprawl will be increased by +25%.

By default, an empire will start with an Edict Capacity of 2, and can be modified by things like Authority, Civics and Ascension Perks. These values are very prone to being changed as more balance feedback comes in.

upload_2020-4-23_12-26-7.png

Dictatorial and Imperial Authority now increases Edict Capacity by +1.

upload_2020-4-23_12-26-24.png

The God-Emperor knows best.

upload_2020-4-23_12-26-45.png

You can now vigorously enact more Edicts.

Not all Edicts will use Edict Capacity, but rather only the ones that last until cancelled will. Edicts that can be toggled will have an Activation Cost and a Deactivation Cost, which is usually Influence. This means that you are paying the Influence when you are making changes, rather than paying to upkeep the Edicts you want.

Edicts that last until cancelled will be marked with a different icon from the edicts (and campaigns) that expire once their duration runs out.

upload_2020-4-23_12-27-15.png

An example of two different Edicts. Red: toggled - lasts until cancelled and uses Edict Capacity. Blue: temporary - lasts for 10 years and does not use Edict Capacity.

Edicts
Some of the Edicts have changed and we have added a couple of new ones, to better fit with the Edict Capacity. Let’s take a look at a few of them:

upload_2020-4-23_12-27-50.png

Whenever you need to stimulate your economy, subsidies can be the way to go. There are Farming, Mining, Energy and Industrial subsidies.

upload_2020-4-23_12-27-57.png

Neighbors suddenly turned hostile? Need to secure your borders? Pass this Edict to refocus your efforts!

upload_2020-4-23_12-28-4.png

Has the galaxy become more hostile? Do you need to build a powerful fleet to project your power? Focus on Fleet Supremacy for a more powerful and imposing fleet.

Pop Growth is problematic, so we have made some changes in the upcoming patch that will reduce Pop Growth from different sources across the board (more on that later). Food Policies are no more, and the popular Nutritional Plenitude is now a toggled Edict instead.

upload_2020-4-23_12-28-43.png

No longer a food policy (they don’t exist anymore). There are different versions for Hive Minds and Rogue Servitors.

Resource Edicts, Campaigns and Unity Ambitions
The model for the new Edict Capacity doesn’t fit very well for all types of Edicts, which is why the rare resource Edicts, Campaigns and Unity Ambitions remain unchanged and keep working like you are used to. This is also better for modding purposes, so that modders have the opportunity to use Edicts however they see best.

Finishing thoughts
Overall we feel like the new system better allows us to structure how the players get the tools they need to focus their empires for certain tasks. As we make more additions to the game in the future, this new system will also allow us to give the players more tools to address certain issues.

----

That is all for this week! We will be back again next week with another dev diary, this time about some federation-related content!

• 9Like
Reactions:
This has probably come up earlier in the thread, but wouldn't it be preferable to have a monthly influence cost per edict, for however long it's active, rather than a one-time influence cost whenever you change it, if the goal is to be something you want players to change instead of mashing the button every 10 years? If I am paying influence every time I want to change an edict, I probably will be super-reluctant to change them situationally, whereas I might switch as needed if the monthly cost is the same (as long as I run the same number of edicts).
The entire idea of issuing an edict is that you commit the empire to focusing on a certain approach for quite some time. It isn't fixed policy, and it isn't "what is the empire going to do next week" - it is something in between.

The problem with your approach is that if edicts only have an ongoing cost, then issuing an edict becomes something to toggle on and off at need with no long term consequences. "These 19 days we are REALLY focusing hard on mapping the stars so we get a bonus to that, but now the ships have to travel to next system, so let me disable that edict and get a bonus to energy production on month-end instead because we are REALLY focusing hard on energy production, and then I'll just toggle mapping the stars on and energy production off once ships arrive at next system" to take just one obvious example.

Even worse, it becomes something to micromanage obsessively if you want to optimize your gameplay by only having edicts active on month end if they are needed to be active at that point for you to benefit; in all other cases you'd be better turning them off immediately before month end to save you the upkeep cost, then turning them on once the month has ticked.

Or to put it another way, to work well enabling or disabling an edict needs to be a meaningful choice that has a substantial opportunity cost.

This is achieved most easily be a) Have an up front cost or b) Lock you into that edict for a period of time that is substantial. Either of these approaches can be combined with paying a monthly upkeep cost.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@grekulf when you look at pop growth, would you please consider implementing automatic assembly halts for robotics when the housing cap is reached?
It feels truly awful to manage dozens of planets with assemblers pumpling out robots late game as they will continue to assemble ad infinatum, unless you explicitly shut them off. Unlike bio pops that will automatically scale down and stop breeding at 1.5x housing cap/due to overcrowding.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...add-auto-suspension-of-robo-assembly.1345848/

I'd like an Empire-wide policy choice between "Continuous Robot Assembly" and "Capped Robot Assembly." Often, I mass produce more robots than a planet can hold and then sell them on the Slave market for continuous profit--and that option won't work as well if robots stop being automatically pumped out.

Reactions:
Remember back when on release you had edicts that would toggle and have an influence upkeep, like "support engineering research"? I guess that could be the third type of edicts, which would not count towards edict cap, but could be toggled once and forever for some kind of upkeep. I guess at least campaigns could be implemented same way, with upkeep scaling with empire size (possibly with initial cost). Because, we still never want to turn them off and this way we could also see it's cost distributed across time.

Reactions: