• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #175 - Space Fauna

Hello everyone!

As I mentioned last week, we have begun working on a larger free update targeted for May, and it would be fun to share some of the new things you will be able to discover.

2.6.3 is still planned to be released as an opt-in beta SoonTM, so stay tuned for more information about that.

But for now, let’s continue and talk a little bit about what you’ll expect to see in the free May update.

Background
We’ve felt that the galaxy sometimes feels a bit empty now, compared to how it used to back in the day. Since the AI is a bit more proactive in hunting down hostile space fauna you are encountering these alien lifeforms much more seldom. We wanted to reinvigorate the galaxy with more alien life, and allow them to continue existing for a longer period of time.

Tiyanki
The tiyanki now have a home system, Tiyana Vek, which can continue to spawn more space whales throughout the continuation of your game, unless the tiyanki in the system have been hunted to extinction. The spawning of new tiyanki will also depend on galaxy size, which sets an upper limit for how many fleets can spawn (in relation to already roaming around).

upload_2020-4-2_11-42-6.png

Tiyana Vek, in all its gaseous glory.

The tiyanki themselves have also been updated, and there are now hatchlings in addition to the previously existing Bulls, Cows and Calves. The roaming tiyanki fleets are now also a bit more randomized in their compositions.

upload_2020-4-2_11-42-38.png

Space whaling.

Hunting the tiyanki will yield energy credits and exotic gas, but xenophile empires will not approve.

upload_2020-4-2_11-43-0.png

Successful hunt. No, bounty numbers are not final.

Space Amoebas
Similar to the Tiyanki, the space amoebas now also have a home system from which they can spawn. The space amoebas spawning behaviour is slightly different from the space whales. The amoebas that spawn in the home system will have a cooldown, but may occasionally leave their system in large numbers and seek a new home.

upload_2020-4-2_11-43-27.png

Behold! Amor Alveo, home of the amoebas.

As before, it's possible to complete the Amoeba Pacification Project to turn them non-hostile if you are a xenophile or pacifist empire. If you have pacified the space amoebas, it's possible for some of them to spawn in your territory. These amoebas will be friendly towards you, but perhaps not to your enemies!

Galactic Community
As we showed last week, there will also be a few new resolutions that allow you to decide how the galaxy should feel about the tiyanki.

upload_2020-4-2_11-43-52.png

With the Tiyanki Conservation Act, an empire that kills a tiyanki will become in Breach of Galactic Law.

With the Tiyanki Pest Control, an empire will be in Breach of Galactic Law while they are harboring any Tiyanki within their borders.

We’re also working on a resolution for pacifying amoebas, which you can propose if you have already pacified them. Empires will get a choice whether or not they will agree to pacifying the amoebas, which will share pacification if they agree.

-----

These are the first steps we’re taking towards reinvigorating the galaxy a bit. We’ll give you more information in the next couple of weeks, so stay tuned for future dev diaries!

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Perhaps a casus belli specifically for fanatic xenophiles when another nation attacks and kills space fauna?

An opposite casus belli for xenophobes to use on nations who protect space fauna?

Whilst I can see the direction of your point
there's so much content that could be done for either Senate, or Federations (i.e. coming up with actual AI decision making instead of static YES/NOs), that would fall into the content design territory as well. Deciding to do Space Cows instead is just adding insult to injury.

Which injury? They are literally giving us a present. And since you do seem to want senate and federation content, which they also said they were doing, it's not even a present you don't want. It just has a part you don't care about.

So I think this is adding a type of cake you don't like to your free dinner.

The reason why I do like space cow content becoming relevant again AND also being tied into the new systems, is
A: I find min/maxing and managing excel sheets quite boring, so everything that makes the game feel more alive is apreciated. Making the AI better accidentily killed the space creature feature. So fixing this is great.

B: because it gives us something to have opinions on in the senate that isn't just "will I personally get more or less stuff if this is passed?". Trying to prevent my evil whaling neighbours from killing the poor space cows is a much more fun narrative than me voting down the research propositions because I calculated that it will harm me more than the empire next to me. So is turning space creatures friendly and watching them help you in a war. Narratives are important so some people. If you don't care about them, thats okay, but you arent everybody.

I'm sure I've posted this before, but I'd love a way to not just hunt wild ones, but domesticate and farm Tiyanki.

Glad I’m not the only one. Yes, we should have some option to turn them into livestock. Its a very effective conservation measure, after all.

2.6.3 is still planned to be released as an opt-in beta SoonTM, so stay tuned for more information about that.

Could you be a little bit more specific than "SoonTM"? Maybe like "planned before or after this weekend"? I don't want to "stay tuned" in hope of some 2.6.3 gameplay for this weekend, if you intend to release it at the beginning of next week. I had my hope up already last weekend.

Thank you.:)

Last edited:
Glad I’m not the only one. Yes, we should have some option to turn them into livestock. Its a very effective conservation measure, after all.

That would be awesome, I would love the ability to create a system that was a reserve for space fauna; it give some bonuses if you had a resortt world in system. Or a special starbase module.

I would also like to see some new space fauna, so that the same types didnt always appear in every game.

Nice! Can we add void cloud and mining drone spawning as well, though?

Void Clouds are enigmatic, but they already have the Great Wound, or they could spawn after a certain amount of time in a black hole system (making them a bit riskier to set up and study in). And mining drones could have some quite interesting von neumon mining drone invasions. A mini-disaster where a swarm of ravenous drones try to descend upon one of your colonies because its a delicious rock of minerals for example.

Looks good :) I really hope as part of making the galaxy feel more alive we could have some cosmetic indications of civilian starships travelling to-and-from systems, planets, starbases etc. Is this something that would be possible as just a visual without tanking performance?

So much yes on this! I'd be completely satisfied if it was just AI ships that blindly followed trade routes in your empire (and perhaps into empires you have trade agreements with).

You know what would go well with the Tiyanki home system? The Tiyanki Matriarch (who you should be able to make non hostile...)

Also echo the suggestions about applying the same mechanics to void clouds and crystals...

if hunting them give resource then keeping them should also give some benefit
maybe monthly very small amount of the resource given for hunting
or society research base on number with in border
maybe some unity
and maybe even the option to feed them to accelerate their growth

Event Chain: Space Tiyanki-boyz

1. Tame the Beast.
After we have discovered the Tiyankis, some scientists have started a great plan, to turn the meek beast into a livestock.
Reward: For every 20 pops in your empire, there would be a Tiyanki-herd, they turn food into Exotic gas, as well as money.

2. Tiyanki-herd
Our Tiyanki-herds have recently decided to move into space to herd their Tiyankis better, they argued that Tiyanki would live better in deep space away from a planet.
Reward: Tiyanki-herds would produce more Exotic gas.

3. Tiyanki-boys
(Triggers 20 years after the second phase)
The new generation of Tiyanki-herds have now completely accustomed to space life, they love their lives in a spacecraft and even developed a distinctive culture.
Reward:
A small country will be created, with a large space ship created in your home system.
They are friendly to you.
Every year they would provide you with money and Exotic gases.
You interact with them just like you interact with marauders. You provide some money/food/minerals to buy their favor, and use the favor, you would buy admirals with special skills from them.

Other events that could happen after the third phase:
1. Your Tiyanki-herds would try to enter your neighbor's system and harm your relationship.
2. Your Tiyanki-herds get tired of you, so they escaped and become Marauders!

Open for more suggestions.

Reactions:
Could you be a little bit more specific than "SoonTM"? Maybe like "planned before or after this weekend"? I don't want to "stay tuned" in hope of some 2.6.3 gameplay for this weekend, if you intend to release it at the beginning of next week. I had my hope up already last weekend.

Thank you.:)
They tend to not release patches right before the weekend, so next week at the soonest.

At first repair all bugg , next thinking about Galactic , small , cosmetics change game ....please thx
They are fixing bugs. Not everyone can/does do bugfixing.

Oh, right, beta.

With the Tiyanki Conservation Act, an empire that kills a tiyanki will become in Breach of Galactic Law.
If this a permanent breach or will the empire have an option to get back into grace?

Additional can you be in breach after the fact? Say first no one cared then we pass the conservatin resolution. Do you get the penalty just for killing or for killing after the passage?

If someone kill Bubble does it count as going against the conservation act? Also if pest control is passed will harbouring it put you in breach?
If someone kills Bubbles, we need a Total war CB. They killed a protected, cultural icon. It will not go unpunished!

But seriously, I wouldn't mind a re-flavored humiliation type CB if someone kills friendly creatures in your space, especially your pet Ameoba. Although, I suppose you could exploit that, so maybe not.