• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #174 - Federations is out, now what?

Hello everyone!

Federations was released a little bit over a week ago, and we hope it's still giving you much joy.

There’s much to celebrate as the community has broken a bunch of records! We had 64-thousand people playing Stellaris on Saturday, which is the highest amount of concurrent players since its release 4 years ago. We want to thank you for the massive amount of support we’ve received with this expansion! We hope everyone has found this expansion as fun and enjoyable as us.

While you are busy enjoying the game we’ve been planning updates and working on patches. We are currently working on a 2.6.3 that we’re planning on releasing as a beta sometime soon. 2.6.3 should hopefully be the last of the smaller patches, as we will be switching focus to a somewhat larger free update in May.

The May update (TBA) will contain more bug fixes, but also a bunch of new things for you to play with. We are very interested in hearing your feedback and ideas regarding Federations, and if there was anything you would have wished for us to add. We are especially interested in feedback related to Resolutions and Federation Laws. Although I will not promise they will be added, I still wanted to leave some room open in case there were ideas that the community really wanted.

upload_2020-3-26_12-52-12.png

Will you protect the Tiyanki or hunt them for profit?
We will give you some more information about the May update at a later stage, so stay tuned! Until then, keep enjoying the game :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
I think Void Dwellers should get a bonus to their habitats in that they're always size 10 on construction, but only if they're built by an empire with the Void Dweller origin.

Right now, without any modification, you can fit up to 80 pop in an habitat (69 nat, 75 with communal, over 80 with communal and fertile). Not sure it's worth going to 10 disctrict, but it would be sure far less micro-intensive early on.

Still NO OOS errors fixed, and are you really saying that will not be fixed for MP until May???

Ehm - 2.6.3 hasnt been released yet, afaik. So hold your horses before torching something.
except they said the 2.6.3 would be coming in may and that it may go to test soon but we can't use the test because of the restricted network errors. Also look at my game list with paradox games I have been around the block with this company and I know what to expect or in this case what not to expect.

except they said the 2.6.3 would be coming in may and that it may go to test soon but we can't use the test because of the restricted network errors. Also look at my game list with paradox games I have been around the block with this company and I know what to expect or in this case what not to expect.
Well my state of information is 2.6.3 is to be released "SoonTM" - a bigger free update launched in May. So 2.6.3. should go into beta in some days. And the update in May you are referring to would be the next greater patch aka 2.7.0

Please do a pass across the entire game to ensure that all the mechanics you've created so far are fully realized and interactive with each other. So often it seems that edge case (and often not so edge case: see the incompatibility between league of Unaligned Powers and Federations) interactions are "out of scope" of a particular patch, and over time this leads to many broken or incomplete interactions between game mechanics.

Not sure if the Devs will read this, but I really hope that for birthing new space creatures they make use of the juggernaut ability. So they for example the tiyanki mother travel around and birthing new calves.

Also they were talking about tiyanki and amoebas, but I hope crystalline entities can be tamed. Their home system is very beautiful.

I'd really enjoy seeing galactic, and/or federation megastructures, along with casus beli and resolutions to reclaim invested resources through force if the the host of the structure's physical location decides to leave the federation or the galactic community.

Maybe because its not my playstyle or something, but I don't exactly feel connected with the galactic council and stuff. Tried doing it, kept playing and generally got busy with other stuff in the empire vs. constantly monitoring votes and stuff. I default to staying out of it if I'm not in a federation playthrough and don't bother looking at it if I am. Too much busywork without being able to like.. have multiple ways of monitoring information or setting alerts? I don't know. Just my two cents, hah.

Edit:

Additionally, I find the breach thing to be sort of weird. Like, most of the time I'm minding my business and I find myself suddenly in breach of galactic law too, at which point I just leave the galactic community. Either there needs to be some sort of grandfathering system or some transition to laws.

I don't know if somebody already wrote this, but I've got a idea for the federation types in the dlc:
Instead of having a hegemon federation type, I would every federation to have a autocratic or democratic tendency. This tendency can be changed by different laws. To make this work, it should be made that there is a voting system similar (or even the same) to the galactic community, so it's not possible that a one-system-empire de facto vassalizes a whole federation. The tendency would be shown in a scale the, for example 0 ist the middle -100 is totally autocratic and 100 totally democratic. Now there could be a law that makes an empire permanently president. This law would subtract a certain amount from the scale, shifting it towards autocracy. If a certain amount is reached, the president haves the opportunity do some things. For example he could, if the federation is autocratic enough (a value of - 75 or something) take 15% of every members research output if he's in a research cooperative. Or an trade league with a very democratic value (like 75) could have shared stockpile, similar to the sectors one, where everyone can put something in or out. Or a democratic research research cooperative may be able to share technologies
BTW I'm not a native speaker so sorry if there are any mistakes