• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #163 - Juggernaut & Mega Shipyard

Hello everyone!

Today we’ll be talking about some big stuff – namely the Juggernaut and the Mega Shipyard.

Both of these new behemoths are a part of the upcoming Federations expansion.

Juggernaut
Stellaris has been in development for many years and, and if there’s something we know for sure its that big ships are cool, and bigger ships are even cooler. With this flawless logic in mind, we obviously wanted to add something even bigger than a Titan.

Mobile starbases is something that we know has been widely requested, so why not hit two avians with one lithoid?

upload_2019-12-5_14-20-23.png

Visually, the Juggernaut has the shape of a giant pair of wings.
The juggernaut is as much a mobile starbase as it is a massive warship. Although the Juggernaut works like a mobile starbase in some regards, it will not project borders or control ownership or systems. A Juggernaut instead functions like a forward base of operations during offensive campaigns, a place where you can repair your ships. The Juggernaut will not have starbase modules or buildings – instead it will count as always having 2 Shipyards (which means it can build, repair and upgrade ships).

upload_2019-12-5_14-20-42.png

The Juggernaut can be designed in the ship designer, and features 2 XL turrets, 6 hangar slots and 5 medium turrets.

upload_2019-12-5_14-20-56.png upload_2019-12-5_14-21-12.png upload_2019-12-5_14-21-31.png upload_2019-12-5_14-21-41.png upload_2019-12-5_14-21-51.png

In addition, the Juggernaut gets access to a couple of new and unique aura components.

upload_2019-12-5_14-22-8.png

The Juggernaut will be unlocked by a technology which requires Citadels and Battleships to be already researched. A Starbase will also need to have a Colossal Assembly Yard in order to be able to construct one. The Colossal Assembly Yard is required for (and unlocked by) both the Colossus and the Juggernaut.

upload_2019-12-5_14-22-22.png

The Juggernaut will have an empire limit of 1.

Mega Shipyard
New Megastructures are always nice, because we all want more ways to show off the glory and magnificence of our empires. The Mega Shipyard is exactly what it is, a giant shipyard that allows you to build a lot of ships really fast.

upload_2019-12-5_14-22-47.png

The Mega Shipyard will also provide ships with +100 starting XP, so that it will not matter where you build them. Generally speaking, we are trying to avoid design that creates incentives for players to engage in more micromanagement that may not be fun. We believe the choice of where to build a ship (because it would cost less, or gain more XP somewhere) is an example of micromanagement that is not very fun. The only incentive is to avoid loss aversion, which is not a good. Incentives should generally be positive.

upload_2019-12-5_14-23-1.png

The Mega Shipyard is unlocked by a technology which requires Mega-Engineering (like the others). It’s found in the Society tree and belongs to the Military Theory category.

upload_2019-12-5_14-23-16.png

The Mega Shipyard will have 3 stages (in addition to construction site):
Mega Shipyard Framework
- 10 Shipyards, +33% Ship Build Speed, +100 Starting Ship XP
Mega Shipyard Core - 20 Shipyards, +66% Ship Build Speed, +100 Starting Ship XP
Mega Shipyard - 30 Shipyards, +100% Ship Build Speed, +100 Starting Ship XP

The bonuses to Ship Build Speed will be empire-wide.

Keep in mind that these numbers are work-in-progress and may change.

---

That is all for this week! Next week will be the last dev diary of the year, before the holidays, and we will be doing a round up of the year.

Also keep an eye on our social media channels, as we will be sharing some more screenshots of the Juggernaut and Mega Shipyard.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
That trait only improves build speed and reduces cost. The ships it builds aren't any better than if you build them somewhere else.
But as you said, they are cheaper and are built faster. In what world doesn't that encourage micro to ensure that ships are built where that bonus applies, the same sort of micro that @grekulf said they are trying to keep away from?

But as you said, they are cheaper and are built faster. In what world doesn't that encourage micro to ensure that ships are built where that bonus applies, the same sort of micro that @grekulf said they are trying to keep away from?
Managing which sector your shipyards are in is a lot less micro-y than making sure each shipyard has a naval academy.

Stop thinking of it as a ship. Think of it instead of a mobile starbase. Normally you cannot design those at all, so player choice is massively improved.
It is just a shame that there is a system to make choices and than there are 2 (and soon 3) exceptions to it. (ion cannon, titan and juggernaut)

Both of the juggernaut and Maga Shipyard seems cool but i don't really see the utility ,if i have to compare to the other Megastructures the Shipyard is useless or to be exact have no special bonuses that make it unique or more reliable than a starbase .

The juggernaut seems to be a colosus class ship,but it is really average , 2 shipyard is not enough for a big fleet /

ps:and please improve the starcrafts utility in the game...

Last edited:
Say, what if we build Juggernaut like a normal shipyard, like, building it up from small to big?

Juggernaut would have three or four stages, but here is my 2c for three-stage Juggernaut:

Stage 1:
One utility slot (either shipyard or aura)
2 sections with one XL

Stage 2:
Two utility slots (either shipyard or aura)
3 sections with one XL

Stage 3:
Three utility slots (either shipyard or aura)
3 sections with extra weapon component and two XL components

Juggernaut can only level-up in a Shipyard Starbase with Collosal Assembly Yards.

So Juggernaut can be built earlier for war and people can spend time during peace to level it up. Furthermore, the extra customization (between shipyards and auras) can be very helpful and interesting.

No, the Juggernaut has two XL slots. The Colossus just has the planet-killer slot.
Didn’t realize that you meant The Colossus. Thought you meant The Juggernaut.
not going thru the whole thread, has anyone pointed out that the juggernaut looks and behaves more or less exactly like the Supremacy from the last jedi :D
(DON’T START A FLAME WAR DUE TO THIS REMARK!) I liked TLJ, and the Supremacy is awesome.
Both of the juggernaut and Maga Shipyard seems cool but i don't really see the utility ,if i have to compare to the other Megastructures the Shipyard is useless or to be exact have no special bonuses that make it unique or more reliable than a starbase .

The juggernaut seems to be a colosus class ship,but it is really average , 2 shipyard is not enough for a big fleet /

ps:and please improve the starcrafts utility in the game...
30 slots to build ships in at double speed: useless, apparently.
And the juggernaut can MOVE AROUND, so you don’t want to give it too many build slots. Think of it not as 2 build slots near your home worlds, but 2 at the frontlines.

I was worries that the different shipset variants of the Juggernaut would disappoint. For me that Plantoid Juggernaut was the same shipset as the original slapped with some solar panels. But Holy Batman! I am glad that I was proven wrong with the Avian Juggernaut. It is a beauty!

As much as I'd really like Corvettes to lose there relevance and Strike Craft to take their place, Strike Craft are never going to be very good as long as Corvettes are filling their role better.

Thankfully, this thing can spam all the Missile Corvettes I can dream of.

Gee, it sure would be a shame if the game director himself outright contradicted you...

(Emphasis mine.)
Wow. I mean, did you even read the actual Dev Diary?!?

Idiot. There is nothing in the Dev Diary seeing directly that the Juggernaut is a warship.

not going thru the whole thread, has anyone pointed out that the juggernaut looks and behaves more or less exactly like the Supremacy from the last jedi :D

acutally that would be "the arc hammer"

I hope not. If it is, what the frell is the support ship doing at the front of the formation.
Usually it is destroyers up front followed by corvettes in the middle and cruisers, battleships & titans in the backline.
Either the fleet moved in the other direction before sorting itself out or the formations got reversed in federations.

Someone a while back compared the Juggernaut to the Arsenal Bird from Ace Combat. Now I want to be able to build something like Stonehenge or Megalith. Imagine a huge network of Anti-orbital railguns that will take out ships trying to bombard over time. It would make you actually want to land armies ASAP because the cost of bombardment could really rack up over time.

Also, on that note. Someone else mentioned that because Bombardment damage is capped, the 30% boost to bombardment damage would be useless by the time you get it. Maybe instead it could just increase the cap 30%?

I’d actually like to go back to before separate PD and G slots (PD and S weapons share slots as could M and G). Create a hangar launch rack (just watch babylon 5 and you’ll see what I mean) model which fits in the place of your L class turrets and you can swap L and H weapons. As well as giving players choice using L turret mounts for Hangar slots would cut down the need for H slot section models.

Having fixed slot sizes per section is fine, but don’t railroad us into 1 section choice per section slot on a given ship. The whole point of the ship designer is to let us design our ships. I’m the galactic emperor damn it, if I want to turn my Titan in a carrier, a gun platform or the worlds largest and most expensive point defence array I should be allowed! Spinal mount, yes that’s cool. But can we not just replace it with enough Missile Launchers so the each salvo can blot out the sun?
Well, I had the missile racks and the hangers being slightly larger because of expendable storage, but I think that going with a fixed number of "slots" that you can put whatever you want in would be a solution that would give you the kind of flexibility we want. I think we agree that the ship designer railroads you into a fairly small number of loadouts at the moment. The relative weakness of strike craft in particular also makes the useful loadouts smaller.
The graphic can change, we don't need stupid looking missile launchers half the size of the section sticking up (if nothing else that particular design would make them stupidly vulnerable) so that can be removed entirely, co-incidentally making the ships looks sleeker too.

Also... Colossi. Who decided that point defence guns pushed the budget too far. “My Lord, the senate has passed a resolution. You can have 6 bazillion energy credits to build your weapon of Mass Destruction, but it’s conditional on no point defence guns?” Would giving it 4 Pd guns really be game breaking?
This made me laugh out loud. Colossi, as currently implemented, make absolutely no sense at all. I do love destroying one because I know how much they cost, though.

Stellaris has been in development for many years and, and if there’s something we know for sure its that big ships are cool, and bigger ships are even cooler. With this flawless logic in mind, we obviously wanted to add something even bigger than a Titan.

This made me laugh out loud. Colossi, as currently implemented, make absolutely no sense at all. I do love destroying one because I know how much they cost, though.

I guess I should throw my 2 cents in on this as well.

Bigger ships are cool and all, but in Stellaris in its current state, bigger ships just mean bigger targets. You have to research lots of tech, sink lots of resources into making purpose built starbases to even create them, spend even more resources to actually make them, and even take an Ascension Perk for some, and in return you get a super slow ship with virtually no chance to escape combat that can be overwhelmed by its cost in Missile Corvettes.

Titans sound like some huge intimidating presence on the battlefield, but I've taken out a huge fleet that included 3 using only MCs and lost about 10% of my power. (Corvettes have a huge chance to escape battle and come back btw). So really a Titan's primary use is as a support ship. But it's self defeating in that respect as well, because that means it needs a fleet to travel with, and as previously mentioned it's really slow. And with all the resources and time you spent making a Starbase for it, and then building the Titan itself, you could have built a powerful regular fleet and won the war already.

Colossi are both slow and have 0 means to defend themselves, meaning much like the Titan, they seem like some sort of thing a regular fleet has to tow along with it at a snails pace.

Juggernauts at the very least seem to have a good function as a large mobile shipyard, but it's still a lot of effort.

Last edited: