• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #160 - Origins Full Reveal

Hello everyone!

In our previous dev diary #155 we talked about Origins, and today we will be returned to the topic by going through Origins again, but in more detail.

Please note that although this is a pretty exhaustive list, there is no guarantee that these Origins will necessarily match what will be in Federations once it is released.

What are Origins?
Origins allows you to pick a background story for your empire. An empire can only pick one Origin.​

upload_2019-11-12_16-32-52.png

Prosperous Unification is the “default” Origin.

There are currently 18 Origins in the game, where some of them were converted from previously being Civics. Origins that were converted will be unlocked by the same DLC that they were unlocked by when they were civics.

Origins are not meant to be balanced against each other, but rather balanced within themselves (as in they don't start in severe resource deficits or "feel broken" by themselves). There are Origins that are "stronger" than other Origins.

The Origins
Prosperous Unification: Start with 4 additional Pops and 2 additional Districts. (Available to everyone)

Mechanist: Start with 8 Pops being robots, and the ability to build more. (Utopia)

Syncretic Evolution: Start the game with 12 Pops being of another species. (Utopia)

upload_2019-11-12_16-33-46.png

Life-Seeded: Start on a Gaia World. (Apocalypse)

Post-Apocalyptic: Start on a Tomb World. (Apocalypse)

Remnants: Start on a Relic World. (Ancient Relics)

Shattered Ring: Start on a Shattered Ring World. Your empire lives on the only intact section of the ancient megastructure, and it is possible to repair most of the other sections. (Federations)

upload_2019-11-15_10-26-2.png

Also starts with Habitat habitability preference.

Void Dwellers: Start on a Habitat above your destroyed, former homeworld, and with 2 more habitats in your home system. Completely adapted to living in habitats, and start with the technology to build new ones, but also suffers a penalty to living on regular planets. (Federations)

Scion: Start as the vassal of a Fallen Empire. (Federations)

upload_2019-11-12_16-34-49.png

Galactic Doorstep: Start with a dormant Gateway in your home system, which can be investigated and reactivated. (Available to everyone)

Tree of Life: Only for Hive Minds. Start with a powerful Tree of Life on your homeworld. Disastrous if you would somehow lose control of it. Colony ships also plant a sapling on new colonies. (Utopia)

upload_2019-11-12_16-35-5.png
upload_2019-11-12_16-35-10.png

On the Shoulder of Giants: Investigate a series of Archaeological Sites related to a mysterious benefactor. (Federations)

upload_2019-11-15_10-44-10.png

Meteorite colony ship.

Calamitous Birth: Lithoid Only. Start with a Massive Crater on your Homeworld. You are also able to build Meteorite Colony Ships, which colonize planets in a more dramatic fashion. (Lithoids)

Resource Consolidation: Machines only. Start with a Machine World as your homeworld. (Synthetic Dawn)

Zi0m58PMJx0I1FMIMHFA7EWL1vI2ClddP2CRVMaeGPLtWX6UHTE3hIhX9I9GdcbcE_M71tYq4QdZkb38UWb0y54gSHMcwFusdRBbO0KIKoMf7x2DZp2O0qEQE0cC-hWWXE_HMMAX

Comfy federalized start.

Common Ground: Start with as the leader of a Galactic Union federation, and with The Federation tradition unlocked. (Federations)

Hegemon: Start with as the leader of a Hegemony federation, and with The Federation tradition unlocked. (Federations)

upload_2019-11-12_16-36-15.png

Doomsday: Your homeworld is doomed and it will explode after 64 years, so you need to find a new home for your species. (Federations)

Lost Colony: Another empire with the same species as you will exist somewhere in the galaxy. (Available to everyone)

---

That is it for this week! Next week we will be back and we will be talking about some of the new things affecting diplomacy, such as Envoys.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
So what are the chances that you guys will look at the Your ideas for origins thread and use some of those ideas? There are some pretty good ones.

Last edited:
Are there any bonuses to doomsday to compensate for the fact that you will inevitably lose what will probably be your most productive planet?

Shattered Ring: Start on a Shattered Ring World. Your empire lives on the only intact section of the ancient megastructure, and it is possible to repair most of the other sections. (Federations)

I'm gonna love this origin, but it seems it might be a bit overpowered if it boosts megastructure tech chances like normal ruined ones, and especially if the galactic wonders perk is still dependent on having a repaired megastructure.

I was totally expecting more civics to be converted to origins. Notably the genocidals and weird ones like Barbaric Despoilers and Inward Perfection.
Then you'd lose combinations like Fanatical Purifier + Post-Apocalyptic, Inward Perfection + Life-Seeded, Barbaric Despoilers + Mechanist, and so on

Doomsday: Your homeworld is doomed and it will explode after 64 years, so you need to find a new home for your species. (Federations)
I found a good challenge.

Could we get some more details about some of these? Like what habitability trait will Remnants, Shattered Ring, and Void Dwellers get? Is there a chance the gateway for Galactic Doorstep will be other than just a regular dormant gateway? What does Scion entail? Do we get to choose what kind of FE? Will there be significant differences to how it plays depending on what type it ends up being? Will there be any special content for Lost Colony when you find your homeworld?

I feel like I am left with a lot more questions than I thought I would be when it said 'full reveal' at the start. Maybe that's a good thing?