• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #139 - 2.2.x post-launch patch

Hello everyone!

Today we’re back with a dev diary where I will outline some of the stuff I want us to prioritize in the near future. Note that this is not a complete list of the bugs or improvements, but rather a highlight of some of the bigger things that I feel are especially important. These are the current plans, which are prone to change, so I cannot promise that all these things will actually be deployed in the next patch. We’re planning to release a definitive 2.2.x version at the end of the post-launch support period, before all of us start working on The Next Cool Thing™.

Pop Growth
We’ve heard your concerns about how pop growth currently functions, and how it in some cases can create situations that feel wrong. We will be adjusting how pops are chosen for growth, and try to avoid having pops move to, or being chosen for growth, on planets where they have a very low habitability. I feel like moving pops to those planets should be based more on player choice.

Ship Upgrade
I think the experience of upgrading ships could be better, as it feels a bit awkward that cancelling your upgrade at 99% doesn’t actually leave any ships upgraded. I want to address that by making each ship upgrade individually, one at a time, and that this process should make use of multiple shipyards in the same starbase. This should mean that if you cancel a fleet upgrade at 50%, roughly half of the ships will still be upgraded. We’ll also take a look at tweaking the upgrade costs and time.

Planet View
One of the most important UIs in the game is getting a bit of an overhaul. We’ve been joined recently by our new UX/UI designer, Doyle, and he’s been very busy taking a look at the planet view.

Something we feel is important is making sure that city districts do not look so significantly different from the other districts. We will be making the Max Districts show as boxes as well, so it's more consistent and visually appealing. You can visualize it as picking a box from “Max Districts”, and putting it into one of the districts. We’re also consolidating some of the UI elements so that they appear in more consistent locations across the tabs. The list of resources should also be more structured, with better tooltips for each item.

The Pops tab is also being cleaned up a little, and you’ll now be able to prioritize one job per strata, which should make it easier to make your workers prioritize farming without having to juggle the priorities of other jobs in the same strata. The ability to “star” a job was actually the original design, but it was changed into an on/off prioritization.

upload_2019-1-24_12-36-49.png
Planet view work in progress, prone to change. In this picture we can see that it's now possible to see down-prioritized jobs and starred jobs.

---------

Those are just a few of the bigger points that I wanted to address, and that have been prioritized for the definitive 2.2.x version. Of course I need to repeat that it's not a complete list of all the issues we will be addressing. You can expect there to be more fixes to bugs, improvement to AI and performance, and other issues from the rest of the dev team. Your feedback is very important in helping us prioritize the most high-value changes we can make during this period, so we really appreciate it.

We have some really cool things planned for 2019, and I am really looking forward to being able to share those plans with you, but first we will focus on fixes and improvements for a while before moving on to the new content. Scheduled dev diaries will be on hiatus until we have something new to show, but we may post something during the post-launch support period if we feel like we have something worthwhile to share.

Thank you for your time, and I'm very much looking forwards to a great 2019!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you or listening to the community, that´s always encouraging to hear.

Please fix the games issues before adding new content, there is loads to do.

But I am sure a fixed 2.2 will be the best iteration of Stellaris to date. :)

Best regards to the Paradox team.

Thank you for this rough outline of what to expect from the 2.2.x support - though, does "pop growth" include also looking into how machine empires grow and how synthetically-ascended empires grow?

I'd like to see an auto-prioritization of enforcer and amenity focused jobs. If there is a crime or amenity issue, free slots should have a high priority, but a low one if demands are filled. Surplus amenities add very little compared to a worked 'real job' and extra crime fighting does actually nothing. It is annoying to adjust this manually.

Last edited:
Can you still see your individual POP portraits working on the different jobs, if you drop down the stratas?
This looks very very spread-sheety atm.

I think there has to be some place where you can actually see your physical pops on your planet. It really makes them feel "real" rather than just a box or numbers or something.

@grekulf I know the devs have already been made aware of the district definition issue and subsequent problems for intermod compatibility. It is a huge pain having to deal with countless compatibility patches all the time, while an official solution would be rather simple.

A detailed description of the problem in the spoiler:
Standard districts (city,energy,mineral,farm) are defined in a way that requires any mod which adds planet classes that should use special districts to overwrite the vanilla files, because planet classes that should not use the standard districts have to be excluded in the district triggers. Two mods each adding such a change will conflict with each other.

The solution would be rather simple.
Adding a new planet attribute (example: uses_standard_districts = yes/no) which is then checked in the district trigger would solve the issue. Edge cases like the ringworld (uses partly standard partly special districts) can still be easily enabled stating the planet class.
Mods which would want to add such edge cases could just add district clones in order to not have to overwrite vanilla files then.

TL/DR Add planet class attribute to check for district usage rather than planet class.

Is it also planned to adress this soon?

Edit: I'll add a more detailed post about this issue with my solution applied to all relevant files in the suggestion forum later today. I hope, you do not mind, if I ping you there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Will there be a possibility to see which species are occupying which jobs? <- Edit: this was already answered, Thanks!
Further:
I still strongly recommend that there should be growth slots per species (as it is already with robots) and species should grow in parallel, according to their habitabilty and traits, as well as "success" in filling jobs.

And, unemployment numbers should not be red, if they don't cause any negative net effect, like under utopian abundance (generating science and unity)

Last edited:
You can fold out the strata to get a view of the portraits and details, like before :)

Can we get some better icons? Things like the Crime events share the same placeholder icons.

It's strange how the patch have awesome icons for everything like the planetary features, but still have outdated Buildings icons and events having placeholders.

An "Export robots" decision could be an idea for Machine/Machinist Empire. It would act as an immigration but with total stop of the assembling on the planet and a great boost for the assembling of the others planet. And this would probably reduce the micro-management.