• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone!

As promised on the stream last week, I’d write a shorter dev diary to let you know what we’re up to now. As you probably have heard, I have now taken over as the game director for Stellaris, so that Martin can go work on [REDACTED]. Check out Martin’s goodbye message on twitter if you haven’t already!

So what are we doing now then? We have updated the beta branch last week, and will update it again soon before we disappear for a brief while over the holidays. Whenever it's ready, Jamie will be making a post about it. The beta branch should include some performance improvements related to slowdowns caused by gateways and wormholes in later stages of the game.

In the beginning of the next year we will be taking more time for post-launch support by focusing on bugs, improving performance and more quality-of-life stuff. One small spoiler that I can mention is that we’re looking into improving the planet interface, and I’ll probably post some more sneak peeks about it in the beginning of next year :)

We don’t really have that much more to say right now, but I will try to be back with the next dev on the 10th or 17th of January.

Until then, have a great holiday with family, friends, and of course, the Blorg! Happy holidays!

upload_2018-12-20_14-26-17.png

Blorg celebrating the holidays. Date unknown. Photographer unknown, but most likely the blorg itself.

The last patch before the holidays will be a mainline patch, or the opt-in beta one?

Do the Blorgs spend their holidays alone?

Good luck and Godspeed!

Edit: While you are improving the planet interface, please consider making it bigger.

Even the old planet UI was a bit small but manageable. This one is so small you can't even see your pops details.

Unless the promised performance update is rather substantial that means you are effectively leaving us with a game that has crippling performance issues, particularly in the late game, over the holidays.

Kinda hard to be happy about that.

It would really be wonderful if they could give us two things before leaving :

- a way to give ressources to our sectors overtime
- a proportionnal demography

The rest can wait.

Despite all the issues in 2.2 I'm loving it, and I'm really excited about the new direction the game has taken.

Congrats on being made game director Grekulf, you've got big boots to fill, but I can't wait to see what you have in store for us.

I hope you and your team have a great holiday break, you've earned it.

Unless the promised performance update is rather substantial that means you are effectively leaving us with a game that has crippling performance issues, particularly in the late game, over the holidays.

Kinda hard to be happy about that.
Why not see what it does before getting all negative about it?
Besides, it'll take a week or two for the player base to thoroughly shake the new beta about anyway - meaning that they'll have good data when they come back in a couple of weeks.

When are we getting Space Unicorns?!!!one

Why not see what it does before getting all negative about it?
Besides, it'll take a week or two for the player base to thoroughly shake the new beta about anyway - meaning that they'll have good data when they come back in a couple of weeks.
Will it? It will take but a few minutes for me to load up my savegame and see if it still goes on snail speed or if it is playable. Note, I'm not talking about other bugfixes, I'm past caring about that now. I care that the game at the moment runs unbearably slow.

Now that is a somewhat dissappointing dev diary.

All in all I get the impression the product (both patch and the DLC) was launched prematurely by at least 2 months of development time and thorough QA work. I guess there are two reasons: Get sales for the DLC into Q4 of 2018 and to free Wiz for this secret new project.

I don't know what to make of this yet but this entire affair just doesn't feel right.

The beta branch should include some performance improvements related to slowdowns caused by gateways and wormholes in later stages of the game.

Hallelujah, That means I can finally start allowing gateways and wormholes to spawn again and stop playing on small galaxies, because of the long travel times of large galaxies without gateways and wormholes xD

One small spoiler that I can mention is that we’re looking into improving the planet interface, and I’ll probably post some more sneak peeks about it in the beginning of next year :)

Hopefully you improve resettlement and army windows for xenophile empires. Due the species spam caused by immigration and xenocompatibility both are pretty much useless when trying to figure out what army to create or finding out what species has correct habitability for the planet.