• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #120 - New Economy System

Hello and welcome back to the Stellaris dev diaries! Today we're going to start talking about the next major update, which we have dubbed 2.2 'Le Guin' after Ursula K. Le Guin. Right now we're not ready to reveal anything about the precise nature of the update or whether it is accompanied by any DLC, other than to say that the Le Guin will have focus on trade and the economy, and that its release date is far away. Today's dev diary is going to be a bit on the foundational side, going over the new economic back-end we've implemented for 2.2.

New Economy System
The original economy system for Stellaris has always been something of a limitation for us. It's a sort of hybrid system, with resources being both scripted (and thus accessible to modders) and hard-coded (and thus inaccessible) in about equal measures. For example, under the old system ships would always cost minerals, as the code was set up for them to always cost minerals, and the only thing you could change was the amount of minerals they cost. Similarly, most things in the game that had an upkeep were hard-coded to use energy for upkeep, and again, only the amounts were able to be changed. A few things (such as for example Resettlement or the precise resources produced by a building) were more open than this, but generally the system made it quite hard to introduce new resources or change the way a particular empire might use a particular resource. The old system was also quite performance-intensive.

When we decided that we wanted to make the next major update be about the economy, the first thing we knew that we needed to do was to rewrite this system entirely. For the new system, we set out a number of goals:
1: The new system should make it easy to add new resources and swap the way resources are used
2: The new system should be as open to modding as we possibly could make it
3: The new system should improve performance

From this, we've created a new system that we call Economic Templates. Where previously there would be a jumble of different systems for how cost, production and maintenance of the different features in the game would work, there is now one unified system. Any single object in the game that can be owned by an empire and have an impact on the economy is called an Economic Unit. In the database files, an Economic Unit looks like this:

Code:
resources = {
    category = armies

# Normal empires pay for armies with minerals
    cost = {
        trigger = {
            owner = { is_hive_empire = no }
        } 
        minerals = 100
    }

# Hive Minds pay for armies partially with food
    cost = {
        trigger = {
            owner = { is_hive_empire = yes }
        }     
        minerals = 50
        food = 50
    }     

# If Barbaric Despoilers, produce Energy while on enemy planets
    produces = {
        trigger = {
            owner = { has_valid_civic = civic_barbaric_despoilers }
            planet = { owner = { is_at_war_with = root.owner } }
        }
        energy = 3
    }     

# Normal empires pay army upkeep with energy
    upkeep = {
        trigger = {
        }     
        energy = 1
    }

# Hive Minds pay army upkeep with food
    upkeep = {
        trigger = {
        }     
        food = 1
    }     
}

For those who cannot read our scripting language, this is an example I just created of how the new system can be used. It's for a regular assault army, which normally costs 100 minerals to build and has an upkeep of 1 energy, just as before. However, if your empire is a Hive Mind, the army will instead cost 50 minerals and 50 food, and costs 1 food in upkeep instead of 1 energy. Additionally, if you have the Barbaric Despoilers civic, armies that are located on enemy planets will produce 3 energy/month, paying for themselves and then some through wide-scale looting. This isn't an actual example from the internal build, but something I just created while writing this dev diary to show the possibilities that the new economic system opens up for for both us and modders - we could have fully biological empires that use food instead of minerals to build infrastructure, ships that produce research while in certain systems, leaders that give Unity... the possibilities are endless.
2018_08_09_1.png

Advanced Resources
With this system in place, we've been able to add several new 'advanced' resources to the game. They are as follows: Alloys, Rare Crystals, Volatile Motes and Exotic Gases. These resources are either manufactured from basic resources or found in rare planetary deposits (or both!) and are used to construct more advanced things in the game, such as ship components, megastructures, certain buildings and so on. There is also still a number of strategic resources such as Dark Matter and Living Metal that provide unique benefits, though precisely how many of these we will keep and how they are used is something we're still in the process of figuring out.

As part of these changes we're also in the process of reworking the top bar. Since we will now have rather too many resources to show them all, the top bar will now only show individual entries for resources that are important for your empire to always keep track of, with the rest shown as a consolidated entry that can be tooltiped for greater detail. Science is also consolidated into a total output of all 3 sciences, with tooltip showing the individual production of each. We're going to ensure that only relevant resources are shown individually, so most Machine Empires wouldn't have Food appear as an individual entry in the top bar, for example. We're also considering letting the player manually override this and decide which precise resources they want to keep track of within the available topbar space.

(Please note that the new topbar is nowhere near final and will have some ugly graphical issues. This is not how it will look on release)
2018_08_09_2.png

That's all for today! I know this dev diary was rather technical and perhaps primarily of interest to modders, but I felt it was important to explain the fundamental changes that have taken place in the game's back-end, both in relation to the changes coming in 2.2, and the possibilities that this opens up in the future for having empire types with radically different approaches to resource production and consumption. Next week we're going to finally start talking about the new Planetary Management system. See you then!

Very nice! Just to be clear - will barbaric despoiler looting be an actual thing? You said that it's not in the internal build, but IMO it would actually be pretty cool if it were.

Code:
resources = {
    category = armies

# Normal empires pay for armies with minerals
    cost = {
        trigger = {
        }
        minerals = 100
    }

# Hive Minds pay for armies partially with food
    cost = {
        trigger = {
        }   
        minerals = 50
        food = 50
    }   

# If Barbaric Despoilers, produce Energy while on enemy planets
    produces = {
        trigger = {
            owner = { has_valid_civic = civic_barbaric_despoilers }
            planet = { owner = { is_at_war_with = root.owner } }
        }
        energy = 3
    }   

# Normal empires pay army upkeep with energy
    upkeep = {
        trigger = {
        }   
        energy = 1
    }

# Hive Minds pay army upkeep with food
    upkeep = {
        trigger = {
        }   
        food = 1
    }   
}

For those who cannot read our scripting language, this is an example I just created of how the new system can be used. It's for a regular assault army, which normally costs 100 minerals to build and has an upkeep of 1 energy, just as before. However, if your empire is a Hive Mind, the army will instead cost 50 minerals and 50 food, and costs 1 food in upkeep instead of 1 energy. Additionally, if you have the Barbaric Despoilers civic, armies that are located on enemy planets will produce 3 energy/month, paying for themselves and then some through wide-scale looting. This isn't an actual example from the internal build, but something I just created while writing this dev diary to show the possibilities that the new economic system opens up for for both us and modders - we could have fully biological empires that use food instead of minerals to build infrastructure, ships that produce research while in certain systems, leaders that give Unity... the possibilities are endless.
View attachment 395968
You really want to make me fall in love with the game again, right?!

Really excited for the update and future dev diaries, the Twitter teasers really make me want to know more.
For what we have seen, this seems to be a very good direction for the game!

Question time!

Are all land armies now the same, since we only have one 'armies' bloc?
Can we still have multiple types of land units? If so, can we still modify what resources they need to build?

There is also still a number of strategic resources such as Dark Matter and Living Metal that provide unique benefits, though precisely how many of these we will keep and how they are used is something we're still in the process of figuring out.
So these still function like current strategic resources? I.e. no stockpiling?

"the possibilities are endless"

I like to see those words in a dev diary, but to be honest I've even more pleased by what I read about "advanced ressources". All this can help making each kind of empire feel unique by actually using the ressources it has - and not just by adding a modifier just because you happen to have that ressource within your borders.

Very nice! Just to be clear - will barbaric despoiler looting be an actual thing? You said that it's not in the internal build, but IMO it would actually be pretty cool if it were.

It's something we're considering doing, this particular case was just an example though.

So these still function like current strategic resources? I.e. no stockpiling?

As I said, we're still figuring out exactly how strategic resources will fit into the system, so more on this in a future DD.

This looks rather promising. Also, you horrible tease, Planetary Management next week :p

On a different note. How difficult will it be to introduce (via mods) new basic, advanced, and/or strategic systems into the game with the new backend?

I have only one question - with all that changes that coming can we expect more differences in how different empires with different ethics build their economy and society?

You really want to make me fall in love with the game again, right?!

Really excited for the update and future dev diaries, the Twitter teasers really make me want to know more.
For what we have seen, this seems to be a very good direction for the game!

Question time!

Are all land armies now the same, since we only have one 'armies' bloc?
Can we still have multiple types of land units? If so, can we still modify what resources they need to build?

All armies are not the same. The 'armies' tag in the resource unit tells the new economy system where it should apply costs, discounts, how it should organize the tooltip, etc. These tags can be dynamically scripted and will automatically generate modifiers, etc, so you can have modifiers that only apply to certain types of armies, for example.

I have only one question - with all that changes that coming can we expect more differences in how different empires with different ethics build their economy and society?

Yeah. More on this in future DDs.

Looks and sounding great, really excited for this update!

We're also considering letting the player manually override this and decide which precise resources they want to keep track of within the available topbar space.
Whilst this is being worked on, is there any chance you can also let us customise what quick buttons on the left we can choose? Running the game at 2560×1440 gives a lot of free space and I would love to have a quick button for leaders, edicts etc. without clicking into that "more" section.
If that's already someone in the game I missed it I will be very embarrassed by this request.