• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #12 - Policies & Edicts

Hi all!

Time to fire up the rockets and head into space again, for another sojourn in the world of Stellaris. This week, I thought I’d talk about Policies and Edicts; directly corresponding to Laws and Decisions in our historical games. The general idea is to give you some additional control over the rules that define your Empire, usually with some trade-offs. Your initial choice of guiding Ethics will play a huge part in which of these Policies and Edicts are available, of course.

Policies are, as I mentioned, essentially laws. They are Empire-wide and remain in effect until directly changed by the player, or as the result of a Faction demand. For example, there are Policies regulating slavery, migration, voting rights and orbital bombardment. As the bureaucratic machinery of a galactic Empire grinds ever so slowly, there is a minimum time the player has to wait before changing their stance on a Policy again. Naturally, various Pops in your Empire will like or dislike these Policies depending on their own Ethics, etc. Should a Faction manage to enforce a change in Policy, that change will stay in effect for quite a while... In all, the system is fairly straightforward.

Say that you are playing as a Xenophobic empire. This will prevent you from passively studying any pre-FTL civilizations you might find, or sharing your technology with them; you can only study them aggressively (abducting and experimenting on them) or invade them outright! In a similar vein, Pacifist empires are not allowed to orbitally bombard planets in support of their ground forces, for fear of killing civilians.

stellaris_dev_diary_12_01_20151207_policies.jpg

This brings us to Edicts, of which there are two kinds; Planetary or Empire-wide. Edicts usually have a cost (Energy Credits or Influence) and an instant or temporary effect that expires after a certain amount of time. For example, there are Edicts for propaganda campaigns and production targets (something akin to communist five-year plans.)

Policies and Edicts are, like many other features in the game, to a large degree dependent on the tech system, so at the start of the game you should not have to worry about a great wealth of choices; they are made available through research. As with most features in Stellaris (and, indeed, all of our games), Policies and Edicts are very mod-friendly, and we look forward to see all the interesting and innovative uses mod-creators will make of this system.

Next week’s Dev Diary will go into more detail on pre-FTL civilizations, and the various ways of interacting with them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
The development in this thread, makes me wonder once more how GW will react to the inevitable Warhammer 40k mod.

Warhammer: Geheimnisnacht, the CKII mod is possibly the best thing Warhammer game that incorporates tons of lore and is generally lore-friendly. So I am p gamesworkshop won't care.

Reactions:
Having looked at the dev diary again, I noticed "Xeno enlightenment". Which got me very interested, as I always wanted to see the "progressor's dilemma" in a game. I wonder if this would have the possibility to be a disaster as big as in the Noon Universe.

Having looked at the dev diary again, I noticed "Xeno enlightenment". Which got me very interested, as I always wanted to see the "progressor's dilemma" in a game. I wonder if this would have the possibility to be a disaster as big as in the Noon Universe.
you might have to explain that more, like I don't have any idea what you are talking about lol

Uh yeah IDK where these people are getting it from but GW has NOT been ruining W40K. IMO it has been getting better and better with the Horus heresy novel series, and definitelly more mature indeed.

I agree, WH40k is fine. Fantasy sales were lacking and they wanted to make it more like 40k so they ruined fantasy doing that and fucked the lore hard up the ass. I never cared about fantasy but people I know who do are seriously upset about it.
Good stuff. I once met a woman in a coffee place in my home town, who told me that nobles are called blue-blooded, because they actually have blue blood. Why is that so? Because they are aliens, of course. I want to do this as well. My alien race will be able to disguise themselves as humans and rule pre-FTL societies, but did not yet research the "changable blood color"-tech. Stupid random tech system.

What's funny about this is it's the whole David Icke thing. The reptilians control the world idea and I want to paly a game where i'm doing that.

Another interesting one is I watch Alex Jones on occasion (Infowars) not seriously but for entertainment. There was a time where he was going off on this idea that the "elites" wanted to merge with machines to achieve immortality and that when they do this they will kill the rest of us. They are getting advanced technology and things like that from contacting aliens or extradimensional beings.

There are a lot of crazy ideas around like this. when I was watching that video I was laughing for at least 2 hours.

you might have to explain that more, like I don't have any idea what you are talking about lol
One of the most famous sci-fi setting of the 70-s and 80-s was the Noon Universe by the Strugastky brothers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noon_Universe
A superficially utopian universe with technologically advanced humans, who actively practice "progressorship", in other words enlightenment of other civilisations. And the ending is not quite as utopian.

With "Xeno enlightenment" being one of the options in the screenshot in this DD, I was wondering just how it will work and whether there are different outcomes possible when trying this.

Reactions:
One of the most famous sci-fi setting of the 70-s and 80-s was the Noon Universe by the Strugastky brothers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noon_Universe
A superficially utopian universe with technologically advanced humans, who actively practice "progressorship", in other words enlightenment of other civilisations. And the ending is not quite as utopian.

With "Xeno enlightenment" being one of the options in the screenshot in this DD, I was wondering just how it will work and whether there are different outcomes possible when trying this.

I can see how that might become a problem. Can you imagine someone coming down today and teaching us about FTL-travel? It would not bode well for the galaxy.

Reactions:
I want this game!!!