• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary! This one is just a short update to let you know what's going on in the development team and what you can expect in the coming weeks and months. As we just released Distant Stars this week, we will now be entering into an extended period of post-launch support with a rolling beta patch similar to what we did after the 2.0 release, both to sort out any issues with the 2.1 launch and to give us time to work on older bugs, QoL improvements and so on. We expect to have the first version of the rolling beta out early next week, with OOS fixes, a fix for starting planets sometimes spawning far away and some other priority issues sorted out.

All of this means that feature dev diaries will be taking a break, and instead we'll be focusing on simply giving you a weekly update on the rolling beta and notable additions or fixes (if any) that we are doing. Feature dev diaries will resume at some point in the summer, when we should be ready to start talking about the next major thing.

For now though, I'm going to end this dev diary with a screenshot of a 'limited victory' mechanic that we're introducing for Subjugation and Ideology wars in the rolling beta. See you next week!
2018_05_23_1.png

A liberate status quo will be great. Will there be an easy way to grow that new nation through another war later? I.e. A status quo peace takes three systems from the Terran Empire and creates the Terran Republic. After the truce the player declares a liberation war against the Empire again and status quos for another three systems, can those three be handed over to the Republic or will it create another small nation?

Not that I'm against space balkans but being able to liberate to an ally/vassal would help with border gore and prevent a situation where the player has a dozen small and weak allies rather than one large united nation.

its like that with every patch- major patch out and you need to wait for fixes. and after fixes its another major patch out and just before all mods are comaptitible next big patch is out...

Speaking of limited victories, you know what you need? No-claims casus belli.

Despolation for example would make more sense if you could surrender without losing all the claims. AI could have positive acceptance modifier on it.

I feel like this "limited" victory may sometimes be better than a complete one.

A liberate status quo will be great. Will there be an easy way to grow that new nation through another war later? I.e. A status quo peace takes three systems from the Terran Empire and creates the Terran Republic. After the truce the player declares a liberation war against the Empire again and status quos for another three systems, can those three be handed over to the Republic or will it create another small nation?

Not that I'm against space balkans but being able to liberate to an ally/vassal would help with border gore and prevent a situation where the player has a dozen small and weak allies rather than one large united nation.
i second this idea.
Especialy with the upcoming limited victory.

I recently subjugated a neighbouring empire i also ahd a few claims on, i ended up with a few systems and planets i didn't want. So i traded them away, but i was fairly agitated that i couldn't hand the conquerd planet back to my newly made vassal, so i had to release it as a OPM :(

Also, the ability to retract claims would be nice now i think about it, one of my allies conquerd a piece of a rivaling neighbour i ahd claims on, but now i have claims on my allie and i'm suffering a malus for that, but i don't want those claims anymore now that it is in friendly hands

All of this means that feature dev diaries will be taking a break, and instead we'll be focusing on simply giving you a weekly update on the rolling beta and notable additions or fixes (if any) that we are doing. Feature dev diaries will resume at some point in the summer, when we should be ready to start talking about the next major thing.

...View attachment 372316
I want to applaud you and your team for taking time off the feature delivery train and doing QOL and Bugfixes until summer.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE new additions. But I know there is always a lot of pressure to build NEW and no time to fix bugs of the old stuff. So, good for you for taking time to that! ;)

Also: Love the Niven update. Great patch!

If an empire is created through Subjugation, do they share the ethics of their "liberator" (as when releasing vassal) or their former country (as when subjugating a complete empire)?

Quite like this way of alternating story packs and 'big things'. It occurred to me that you would probably have different people working on the more mechanic stuff in the expansions versus the story content in the story packs. Seems like a good way to keep content coming at us. Really enjoying Distant Stars content and looking forward to more bugfixes and the next round of reworked mechanics.

its like that with every patch- major patch out and you need to wait for fixes. and after fixes its another major patch out and just before all mods are comaptitible next big patch is out...
I know right, why can't they just push out updates that are unfinished and bug ridden and leave it at that....

Dear Wiz. Could you and cour chaps fix this pressing issue, please? When you rename a system now, you'll also have to rename the station if you want it to have the system name. Could it please work like with the habitable planets; they are automacally renamed to match when you change the name of the system. It would be a lifesaver. Thanks

How's that going to work when you don't have any planets occupied yet?