• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello and welcome to another Stellaris development diary! Today we will take a look at some of the minor features and changes in the coming 2.0 'Cherryh' update.

Quality of Life
We have added small icons to the outliner that lets you see if planets have buildings that can be upgraded, or if there are Pops that do not have a building they are working. Similarly, you will be able to see when a starbase has an empty module or building slot.

This should make it a lot easier for you to manage your planets and starbases.

upload_2018-2-8_11-27-38.png

In the fleet view it is now also possible to see which designs can be upgraded.

upload_2018-2-8_12-37-21.png

Hallowed Planets
Spiritualist empires will be able to designate an uncolonized Gaia World within their borders as a 'Holy World'. The Holy World will increase your empire's unity production as long as it remains uncolonized and within your borders.

In addition to being able to make uncolonized Gaia Worlds useful, Hallowed Planets will also make spiritualist factions happy.

upload_2018-2-8_13-1-53.png

War Doctrines
In addition to other changes to traditions, finishing the Supremacy traditions now allows you to set a War Doctrine for your empire. War Doctrines give you additional customization and specialization regarding how you utilize your fleets.

upload_2018-2-8_13-7-49.png

There are four different war doctrines with different strengths and weaknesses:
Defense in Depth: Defensive empires will have a bonus to their ship fire rate within their own borders
Hit and Run: This doctrine will increase the likelyhood of your ships making an emergency FTL in combat, and also reduce damage caused by emergency FTL
Rapid Deployment: Empires that choose to rely on quickly being able to respond to threats may choose this doctrine which increases sublight speed and ship weapon range
No retreat: Militarists and Gestalt Consciousness empires can choose to employ a doctrine of no retreat, increasing ship fire rate but removing the ability for individual ships to emergency FTL out of combat instead of being destroyed.

upload_2018-2-8_13-10-58.png

Psionic Awakening (Utopia)
Should you be playing a Psionic empire, introduced with Utopia, it will now be possible to help lesser species awaken their psionic potential. This works similar to Assimilation, where you can give another species the benefits of your chosen ascension path.

upload_2018-2-8_13-46-13.png

That's all for this week! Next week you will be able to read the full patch notes for the 2.0 'Cherryh' update!

They aren't only defense. One by a planet can get the trade hubs and other economic bonuses. They also serve as shipyards and the anchorage module is where a lot of our fleet cap will come from. So say you give up one starbase worth of cap to create a vassal with 3 starbases. Set them up right and the vassal will have a decent amount of fleet cap and the economy to support it. Then you can build starbases to replace the ones given to the vassal. You get a vassal with fleet capacity, replace most of what you gave to the vassal and get the domination bonuses. Total power for your empire is thus increased through clever use of a vassal.

you're just adding complication for no real gain. the cap you gain from a vassal is nearly irrelevant once you get galactic flee projection and the fleet cap the vassal gets is truly irrelevant as AIs cheat to ensure they are always around a set power based on your power, game time, their time and their size

you're just adding complication for no real gain. the cap you gain from a vassal is nearly irrelevant once you get galactic flee projection and the fleet cap the vassal gets is truly irrelevant as AIs cheat to ensure they are always around a set power based on your power, game time, their time and their size

But galactic force projection will work differently in 2.0, because in the latest stream Blondie had it, and had 204 fleet capacity in total, and I doubt that he would have 4 fleet capacity without it.

But anyway, the vassal trick will not work as in pre-2.0 (so you are right), mostly because the one system one owner rule, if you want to get the maximum out of your vassals, you will need to build a system fully with habitats, or a ringworld, and upgrade its starbase to citadel, that is a LOT of time and resources.

But galactic force projection will work differently in 2.0, because in the latest stream Blondie had it, and had 204 fleet capacity in total, and I doubt that he would have 4 fleet capacity without it.

But anyway, the vassal trick will not work as in pre-2.0 (so you are right), mostly because the one system one owner rule, if you want to get the maximum out of your vassals, you will need to build a system fully with habitats, or a ringworld, and upgrade its starbase to citadel, that is a LOT of time and resources.

If I'm not wrong, GFP gave 80 naval cap and 20 fleet cap. Whether that's great, horrible or decent is still unknown.

Last edited:
Nothing you said is within 12 parsecs of being true n_n

Regular AI empires (the ones that can be vassals) are subject to the same rules, limitations and mechanics as player empires. AI only "cheats" at seeing through the fog of war because it's tied to their pathing and decision-making but that's it. Their economy works exactly the same as yours and they get no artificial help unless: a) you're playing at a nonstandard difficulty (but even then it's only simple % boosts, no dynamic catch-up mechanics), b) they're a Fallen/Awakened Empire or a Crisis (which have various unique mechanics but their asymmetry is intentional) or c) you're using a mod that adds such scaling.

Source: familiarity with the game and its softcode, multiple statements by the devs themselves on this very forum.

Regular AI empires (the ones that can be vassals) are subject to the same rules, limitations and mechanics as player empires. AI only "cheats" at seeing through the fog of war because it's tied to their pathing and decision-making but that's it. Their economy works exactly the same as yours and they get no artificial help unless: a) you're playing at a nonstandard difficulty (but even then it's only simple % boosts, no dynamic catch-up mechanics), b) they're a Fallen/Awakened Empire or a Crisis (which have various unique mechanics but their asymmetry is intentional) or c) you're using a mod that adds such scaling.

Source: familiarity with the game and its softcode, multiple statements by the devs themselves on this very forum.
You beat me to it. I am also amused by his choice to say "your trick is weaker than an ascension perk that it is not mutually exclusive with so its not worth doing." Oh great lord Dunning-Krueger, save us from your acolytes.

that's not how it works. if you want to test it take control of an AI empire. run its minerals and energy to 0 destroy all its ships space ports and planet structures. the switch off them. within a year they will already have a fleet closing in on the power they had before and their territory will start to build back up. the amount of threads on redit as well as steam that document similar things shows you haven't even looked into it yet decided I was wrong.

here is just one

You beat me to it. I am also amused by his choice to say "your trick is weaker than an ascension perk that it is not mutually exclusive with so its not worth doing." Oh great lord Dunning-Krueger, save us from your acolytes.

it's not about if it is or isn't mutually exclusive. with galactic force projection you can maintain fleets larger than what is needed to win the game. making any more unnecessary

that's not how it works. if you want to test it take control of an AI empire. run its minerals and energy to 0 destroy all its ships space ports and planet structures. the switch off them. within a year they will already have a fleet closing in on the power they had before and their territory will start to build back up. the amount of threads on redit as well as steam that document similar things shows you haven't even looked into it yet decided I was wrong.

here is just one

it's not about if it is or isn't mutually exclusive. with galactic force projection you can maintain fleets larger than what is needed to win the game. making any more unnecessary
The reddit conspiracy theory is wrong too.

I prefer to deal with verifiable code and explicit statements by the game's developers.

Unless Wiz comes here to retract everything he said in that topic, no amount of reddit upvotes can turn tinfoil hattery into facts.

with galactic force projection you can maintain fleets larger than what is needed to win the game. making any more unnecessary
I mean, 200 fleet cap is hefty, especially earlier on in the game, but it is by no means guaranteed to be "enough to win the game", especially considering AI empires can take it too.

The reddit conspiracy theory is wrong too.

I prefer to deal with verifiable code and explicit statements by the game's developers.

Unless Wiz comes here to retract everything he said in that topic, no amount of reddit upvotes can turn tinfoil hattery into facts.

It would be easy enough to just run the suggested test, wouldn't it? I'd do it myself but the current W10 Insider build has rendered my gaming rig unbootable for the moment. Anyone else care to give it a go?

It would be easy enough to just run the suggested test, wouldn't it? I'd do it myself but the current W10 Insider build has rendered my gaming rig unbootable for the moment. Anyone else care to give it a go?

I have plenty of time, what do I need to do?

Well, the suggested test was "if you want to test it take control of an AI empire. run its minerals and energy to 0 destroy all its ships space ports and planet structures. the switch off them. within a year they will already have a fleet closing in on the power they had before and their territory will start to build back up."

So, take control of an AI, trade away or blow up all its stuff, and then switch it back to AI control for a year and see how it does. Probably want to use one that isn't in danger of being crushed in a war during the testing period.

Alright, testing is done: the ai never got resources out of nowhere from what I could notice, I took control of it periodically to see what it had and such.

I thought it was cheating regarding sectors, but that was one of my mods messing things up. Starting the game without any mods made the ai use sectors properly.

Last edited:
Yeah, Wiz said AI stockpiles more than the player. It's easy to see a player draining an AI's resources, then being totally surprised it still has resources afterwards because they never bothered to look at the sector stockpiles.