• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #10 - The Spaceport and rare resources

Good news everyone! We are back with another dev diary! This time we’ll look at the spaceport.

Spaceports are permanent off-world installations that, depending on size, may support thousands of crew and inhabitants, acting almost as a city in itself. As the main hub for anything moving planetside it becomes a natural focus for interstellar trade and production as well as a vital strategic point in any conflict. All types of ships are built and serviced in the spaceport, from smaller vessels like science ships to enormous battleships. As it is too large for a construction ship to build, the spaceport is instead constructed by an established colony. When finished, the spaceport orbits the planet offering basic off-world defenses and the ability to construct and repair ships. The spaceport starts out small and can be upgraded in steps, a total of five times, where each upgrade adds additional toughness, damage output, the ability to build larger ships and most importantly additional module slots.

stellaris_dev_diary_10_01_20151123_station_modules.jpg

Modules are attachments that can be added to spaceports, allowing further specialization or utility. Like many other things in Stellaris, some modules may only be available to empires of a specific ethos while others may be the result of a rare scientific breakthrough. Their effects can range from additional defenses (Reinforced Hull Structure for added toughness, Fighter Squadron to combat raiders), benefits to economy (Hydroponic Farms to grow additional food, Solar Panels to gather energy) and ship support (Crew Quarters for lowered upkeep of ships while docked) as well as refining and utilizing different rare resources. This all comes at a cost of course. A fully upgraded and equipped spaceport is a huge investment and the loss of one may alter the course of a war.

A rare resource is any resource showing an abnormal or useful behavior when processed. The uses can range from financial to destructive and some resources offer multiple effects depending on their use. A source of Engos Vapor could either be used to boost the thruster speed of all ships built within the spaceport or be pumped into the local atmosphere to soothe the local populace. Monopolizing a few of these resources offers great potential for a trade empire to flourish, or a warlike one to take whatever else they desire.

stellaris_dev_diary_10_02_20151123_exotic_resources.jpg

We’d like for spaceports to be something players customize and develop according to their playstyle, either by covering weak areas or further enhancing their strengths. The decision where, when and with what modules to build a spaceport will also be heavily influenced by the planet it orbits and how close it is to potential danger.
The rare resources should ideally provide a source of power and tension in the game. We’ve seen some players go for strategies based on controlling specific resources while some players prefer a more opportunistic approach, adapting to whatever they might happen upon. Others simply prefer to grab everything they can to better control where, and by who, they are used. Why risk the uncertainty of war when supplying both sides with the means of destruction ensures profit regardless of outcome?

(We’ll discuss further details on trade at some point in a future dev diary.)

P.S. I forgot to mention, next weeks dev diary will cover the technology system!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
So... how long the list of all rare resources is? How do they work? (more or less like strategic resources in HOI3 FTM?)

A rare resource is any resource showing an abnormal or useful behavior when processed. The uses can range from financial to destructive and some resources offer multiple effects depending on their use. A source of Engos Vapor could either be used to boost the thruster speed of all ships built within the spaceport ...

So it won't be possible to build ships that combine the benefits of rare resources from 2 different systems?

Reactions:
Only thousands of people? Given the size of the Spaceport in that screenshot (is that at least a max sized one?) it looks like it could sustain a lot more than that. It looks giant.

Love the look of the star and system though, is it just an illusion or is there some interaction between the star and that large planet?

Reactions:
I'm really curious to know if spaceports are treated like their own 'province' in a planet, with their own pops and resource production, or if they are just an abstracted set of specialized bonuses/features for a colony.

Reactions:
Only thousands of people? Given the size of the Spaceport in that screenshot (is that at least a max sized one?) it looks like it could sustain a lot more than that. It looks giant.

Well, obviously the model has to be larger than what would be realistic, otherwise you wouldn't really see it. Just like with the ships.

Reactions:
Well, obviously the model has to be larger than what would be realistic, otherwise you wouldn't really see it. Just like with the ships.
Yeah that makes sense, but I think the size of the spaceport could be a little toned down - currently its nearly the size of the planet its orbiting. That looks almost immersion breaking.

Reactions:
Can be anything from forging the strongest armor to increasing FTL speed to affect Pop Happiness.

Thanks. Some additional questions: the effects are scripted or randomized/generated for every galaxy? How many types of them are planned? Several? Tens? Thousands:)?

I guess the size of the models depends on how you view things. Are you this God figure looking down on the universe? Or are you a commander in a situation room moving big toy soldiers around on a map?

Reactions:
Yeah that makes sense, but I think the size of the spaceport could be a little toned down - currently its nearly the size of the planet its orbiting. That looks almost immersion breaking.

Agreed. Looks like galciv, and no one wants that.

Reactions:
Will happiness be like Civ 5 where you only have to ensure it is at least 0, or will there actually be bonuses for keeping it possible? I sure hope planets and populations have their individual happiness, like unrest in EU4. Global happiness could be modifiers that affect every planet, but I would hate it if you use a global happiness itself would give modifiers to your empire.

Agreed. Looks like galciv, and no one wants that.

I think it'd be good if they did a 'size relative to zoom' mechanic, where the closer you zoom in on objects, the smaller they get in relation to astral bodies. That way if you're zoomed right in on a planet, the station won't look so huge, but if you're zoomed out, you can still see the thing and easily click on it.

Distant Worlds also did the pointer thing, where if you zoom out enough all you can see is the symbols of ships/fleets, like a big strategic map, which I think would be very appropriate for Stellaris. (Maybe they already do this and we just haven't seen a zoom level where it would apply)

Reactions:
I was hoping for a little bit more information, as I'm sure everyone else did.

That said, the picture for the toxic planet in that system looks pretty awesome :)