• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone!

Today, we will kick off a series of weekly dev diaries for our new game, Stellaris. We intend to keep feeding you with more information every week until release! This will be a while, but hopefully we won't have to resort to interns sharing their opinions on beekeeping or new snazzy shoes... Anyway, in this first entry, I thought I'd simply give you some background on the project and the vision I have for Stellaris.

So, how come we decided to make a space game of all things? Well, the idea has been kicking around the office ever since Europa Universalis II was released (we ended up making Hearts of Iron instead.) Ah, those were the days... Now, as you may know, our ambition is to eventually cover the entire "human timeline" with our games... including the future. So, in essence, making a space game is both something that has had a lot of support internally among the developers (seeking freedom from the shackles of history) and that many of you, our faithful players, have requested over the years. When the decision to make a space game was finally made by the powers that be, I wrote two different design outlines, and the one that would eventually become Stellaris was chosen (no, I will not tell you what the other one was!)

The vision statement the for Stellaris is: "The galaxy is ancient and full of wonders." That sounds pretty vague eh? However, I think it captures the spirit of what we are trying to do, when you recall the type of games we make at PDS... I want to make Stellaris the most replayable of all of our games (which, granted, is a pretty tall order!) The galaxy should always be unknown and surprising. That is why there are no "major races" in the game, and such a great variety of discoveries you can make. In the same vein, there is no fixed technology tree - but more on that later.

Stellaris diverges from all of our other games in certain key respects:
  • It is not historical.
  • It features a symmetrical start.
  • You start out small.
  • Most of the world is unknown.

The last three points happen to be defining features of "4X" games, so - although I somewhat dislike the term - Stellaris is in many ways a 4X game; a pretty crowded niche these days. However, we are not trying to recreate classics like Master of Orion. Stellaris is quite a new and different beast, but the symmetrical, small start offers two great advantages: The game can appear deceptively simple for new players. I.e. it can have a much smoother learning curve than our infamously hard-to-learn historical games. Secondly, it allows us to focus on the first X; eXploration, which I personally feel has always been the most neglected one.

The early game is thus characterized by exploration and discovering the wonders of the galaxy. We have put a lot of effort into making this part of the game feel fresh and unique every time you play. Then you start coming into contact with rival space-faring races and soon you reach the mid game, when there is not much left to colonize and your easy expansion grinds to a halt. At this point, the map stabilizes into the Stellaris equivalent of the world map in Europa Universalis, and the stage is set for a classic Paradox Grand Strategy experience...

Stellaris - Small Dead City.jpg

Next Week: The Art Direction!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really believe you, that every exploration phase will be different.
I really hope you can prove me wrong, but you can only implement an finite series of events. Even if you implement ten times of the Event EU IV has now, after a while we will just know them.

Well, as you mentioned, there is the route of events having some random parameters (aka procedural). Also, if the events are cleverly designed, then different combinations of the same events can be significantly different. If ABC is different from BCA is different from AB or BC, then you have a combinatorial explosion of possible exploration phases. On the other hand, if the events aren't significant enough, or don't interact enough, then different event sequences don't lead to subjectively different games: events would be a sort of mild "noise" around the "typical" exploration phase.

The trick to variety, I think, would be to make them significant (no %1 bonus) and have them interact indirectly (e.g. a fire in your back yard AND a failure in your house's water supply are significantly different together than apart). I think the major drawback to this model is that it would be very hard to guarantee approximately fair starting conditions. You might be lucky or very very unlucky...

Reactions:
I. Am. So. Excited.

I think the cold war is a pretty sure DLC for HoI IV... At least I'm expecting it...

No. I hope not. Cold War and World War II were so different... you can't represent both in the same game without abstract too many things.

Reactions:
Pretty short and not much new information in this DD but I am still hyped!

Although I am a bit worried that with the focus on 'exploration' and procedural generation with no 'pre-made races' after 2-3 play-throughs everything will start feeling samey or very similar. Every game which I played which features procedural generation of content of any shape (like races/random events) starts to feel samey and uninteresting pretty quickly - because nothing is really fleshed out, the procedural generation is never as good as things 'designed by hand' are. I got maybe 10 almost full (mostly till 18th century) play-throughs in EUIV, and the game still keeps me interested with 'new' things going on with the map and the alt-history and playing all the different countries and trying to do historical/alt-history things. Also always-symmetrical starts are quite unlike other PDS games, I personally would like a non-symmetrical 'random' option if possible (with a few minors/big players both already there, and the ability to start as one of the big boys)

For now we can only have faith in PDS - I hope their procedural generation is better than other games. And that the replay-ability of Stellaris is as great as EUIV at least.

Next Week: The Art Direction!

Weekly dev diaries for Stellaris already? Every week until release? Please?

Reactions:
Excuse me a moment. I need to get my brain working again. Such hype.

I hope it's rated M

Erm... why? That would make a considerable chunk of the market unable/unwilling to purchase, and (in my case, at any rate) would be a major disappointment.

Reactions:
interns sharing their opinions on beekeeping

I am a beekeeper and that would actually be a nice DD.

Anywhoo, best of luck to the team! Any information about the system specs required to play the game? Or, given the fact that it works on the same engine, if player X can run EU4 flawless, he could run Stellaris just as such?

Does that mean that someday you may revisit the Cold War? :) Cuz you guys should definitely do that. PLEASE.

Do not dare say the words! East v.... no! I must not! They are buried and forgotten!

What about a Indus Valley/Ancient Egypt/Mesopotamia period game? Chronicling the birth of civilization.
FTFY

I feel that wouldn't be terribly interesting as we don't know all that much about these civilizations as we do compared to the people say in EU IV time period. I think the starting at Rome or classical Greece is entirely reasonable. AT ANY RATE.

HYPE CHOO CHOO!

EDIT: To those who want to know what the second option I think he said it in this interview here http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/scope-and-intimacy-talking-historical-accuracy-gra/1600-1322/
IIRC it was more a of Dune thing and was humans only.

Reactions:
When the decision to make a space game was finally made by the powers that be, I wrote two different design outlines, and the one that would eventually become Stellaris was chosen (no, I will not tell you what the other one was!)

I for one would really love to hear what the rejected vision was

The early game is thus characterized by exploration and discovering the wonders of the galaxy. We have put a lot of effort into making this part of the game feel fresh and unique every time you play. Then you start coming into contact with rival space-faring races and soon you reach the mid game, when there is not much left to colonize and your easy expansion grinds to a halt. At this point, the map stabilizes into the Stellaris equivalent of the world map in Europa Universalis, and the stage is set for a classic Paradox Grand Strategy experience...

This sounds very exicting and potentially superior to all other 4x games out there. Most 4x games make conquest too straightforward. I like the idea of the last 2x happening in a Paradox style system.

Reactions:
Now we can forget the communication void after gamescom and go back to business. You shall bring back the hype, paradox, as it has lingered since 2 months.