• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone!

Today, we will kick off a series of weekly dev diaries for our new game, Stellaris. We intend to keep feeding you with more information every week until release! This will be a while, but hopefully we won't have to resort to interns sharing their opinions on beekeeping or new snazzy shoes... Anyway, in this first entry, I thought I'd simply give you some background on the project and the vision I have for Stellaris.

So, how come we decided to make a space game of all things? Well, the idea has been kicking around the office ever since Europa Universalis II was released (we ended up making Hearts of Iron instead.) Ah, those were the days... Now, as you may know, our ambition is to eventually cover the entire "human timeline" with our games... including the future. So, in essence, making a space game is both something that has had a lot of support internally among the developers (seeking freedom from the shackles of history) and that many of you, our faithful players, have requested over the years. When the decision to make a space game was finally made by the powers that be, I wrote two different design outlines, and the one that would eventually become Stellaris was chosen (no, I will not tell you what the other one was!)

The vision statement the for Stellaris is: "The galaxy is ancient and full of wonders." That sounds pretty vague eh? However, I think it captures the spirit of what we are trying to do, when you recall the type of games we make at PDS... I want to make Stellaris the most replayable of all of our games (which, granted, is a pretty tall order!) The galaxy should always be unknown and surprising. That is why there are no "major races" in the game, and such a great variety of discoveries you can make. In the same vein, there is no fixed technology tree - but more on that later.

Stellaris diverges from all of our other games in certain key respects:
  • It is not historical.
  • It features a symmetrical start.
  • You start out small.
  • Most of the world is unknown.

The last three points happen to be defining features of "4X" games, so - although I somewhat dislike the term - Stellaris is in many ways a 4X game; a pretty crowded niche these days. However, we are not trying to recreate classics like Master of Orion. Stellaris is quite a new and different beast, but the symmetrical, small start offers two great advantages: The game can appear deceptively simple for new players. I.e. it can have a much smoother learning curve than our infamously hard-to-learn historical games. Secondly, it allows us to focus on the first X; eXploration, which I personally feel has always been the most neglected one.

The early game is thus characterized by exploration and discovering the wonders of the galaxy. We have put a lot of effort into making this part of the game feel fresh and unique every time you play. Then you start coming into contact with rival space-faring races and soon you reach the mid game, when there is not much left to colonize and your easy expansion grinds to a halt. At this point, the map stabilizes into the Stellaris equivalent of the world map in Europa Universalis, and the stage is set for a classic Paradox Grand Strategy experience...

Stellaris - Small Dead City.jpg

Next Week: The Art Direction!

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting small will at least avoid the problem of Victoria or HoI where it feel like you have a million things to do the second the game loads. But what if you want to dive right into the EU stage?

Reactions:
Starting small will at least avoid the problem of Victoria or HoI where it feel like you have a million things to do the second the game loads. But what if you want to dive right into the EU stage?
They've said they'll support scripted maps, so if they don't make anything themselves we should have mods for that.

Reactions:
Hi everyone!
Now, as you may know, our ambition is to eventually cover the entire "human timeline" with our games...

In the long Paradox tradition of nerfing Byzantium, the "human timeline" conspicuously excludes the Dark Ages ;)

By the way, Doomdark, you did mention the other design, in the GiantBomb podcast if I'm not mistaken. Maybe Space Crusader Kings of the Fading Cores could be a particularly fat piece of DLC in the future, since the game will allow fixed map starts?

Reactions:
WOOH HOOH DEV DAIRIES! Now to actually read it....

EDIT: You don't have to tell us what the second option was Doomdark you already told someone else in an interview, it was supposed to be a dune like experience with only humans!
So like HRE in space? That would be cool.

Procedual Storytelling is a whole lot different then procedual events.
With Storytelling you just need a random galaxy with planets in different patterns. But you will have still the same pool of events, but just in a different order, and different ones picked for the specific game. As long as the pool of events is finite there will come a time you will know most or even all of the events, and they won't suprise you.
Well I guess you just need a large pool of events then to keep it fresh. Like the binding of isaac and its items.

Reactions:
Hi everyone!

Today, we will kick off a series of weekly dev diaries for our new game, Stellaris. We intend to keep feeding you with more information every week until release! This will be a while, but hopefully we won't have to resort to interns sharing their opinions on beekeeping or new snazzy shoes... Anyway, in this first entry, I thought I'd simply give you some background on the project and the vision I have for Stellaris.

Beekeeping DLC confirmed?

Reactions:
Yay!

Reactions:

Reactions:
I don't really believe you, that every exploration phase will be different.
I really hope you can prove me wrong, but you can only implement an finite series of events. Even if you implement ten times of the Event EU IV has now, after a while we will just know them.
The only possibility I know of would be procedual generation of events, but yeah... that rarely works well. Especially for narrative evens.

This is kind of my feeling as well. I'm an enormous paradox interactive fan, but I think we can all agree that the events, however well intentioned in previous games, have not been a strong suit. They either have a hilarious MTTH or you simply get the same event over and over (Comet, character in CK2 becoming cowardly because he's been in so many battles, etc.) Even with mods like HIP adding hundreds of new events to CK2 on top of the originals you still have a lot of repetition.

So I'm not sure how excited I can be that the exploration aspect is going to be all that engaging after like the first two playthroughs. It seems like I'll be sitting there going "oh this is the hostile alien event again. Oh, this is the galactic plague event." Overall, and perhaps its just due to a lack of information, I'm excited about the concept of Stellaris but I'm just not sure how it's going to be interesting. Exploration largely made interesting by, as Voigt put it, a finite number of events is just going to grow stale.

The excitement and awesomeness of EU and CK, and I'm sure HoI too but I'm less familiar with it, is that you have this static way that events played out that we already know about in actual history, but then we get the opportunity to have our own characters and our own stories take place within that context and alter the outcome. We as players get to go "I wonder what would happen if the Byzantine Empire hadn't collapsed." or "I wonder what would happen if Vikings conquered all the world with their infinite raiding money stacks". A game that takes place in space with no context and a totally flat starting position will be that interesting. I say this all, again, with little to no info about the game, but it's just something that's been nagging at me and preventing me from truly getting hyped. A game centered around a static series of "story events" doesn't seem all that interesting or exciting.

TL;DR

I'm not sure if the story based exploration angle is something all that exciting because I don't see how it will stay fresh after the first playthrough.

Reactions:
Wa-hey, the Dev Diaries have begun :D. I like the whole 'three dev diaries a week' from PDS, btw :). I also very much like the vision for the game (and the funky picture, which is now my desktop wallpaper, cheers and commendations to the artist responsible, it's tops, classic sci-fi, deserves to be framed :cool:).

Reactions:
Well, hello there, gorgeous. Wanna be my new wallpaper? Sure you do.

Reactions:
Need more info about bee-keeping...

More serious edit: That's good start for a first DD, good to know what direction you are steering that (space)ship forward.

About the symmetrical start, that will be interesting in itself, although I hope that there will be an asymmetric start option. What often annoys me in 4x games is that either the game is too hard early on, or too easy later on (once the player had time to build up). Asymmetric starts can reduce that problem by having the player faces weak enemies early on and strong enemies later.

Just gave end game content a go yesterday.. trust me, got roflstomped so hard, it's not even funny :(

Reactions:
Just gave end game content a go yesterday.. trust me, got roflstomped so hard, it's not even funny :(
Hmm-.. that means... endgame is so bad, you got stomped or its so funny everybody was lying on the floor and noone could have stomped on you.

Soo.. funny Engame confirmed :3

Reactions:
Hmm-.. that means... endgame is so bad, you got stomped or its so funny everybody was lying on the floor and noone could have stomped on you.

Soo.. funny Engame confirmed :3

It's not bad.. just need some balance, and in defence of the content.. you should not initiate the content at game start (which is what I did), that's just asking for a pummeling.

Reactions:
It's not bad.. just need some balance, and in defence of the content.. you should not initiate the content at game start (which is what I did), that's just asking for a pummeling.

Yes its not that bad.. just make the early and middle game last longer. Than you have time to patch the endgame.. at least 1-2 days *smiles*

Really looking forward to the game.