• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Console Dev Diary #25 - Origins

Hello Stellaris Fans!

We’re getting close to the finish line, and the release of the Lithoids Species Pack and Verne (2.6.3) Update! Be sure to catch our release stream Thursday, March 25th at 10:30 AM CET (09:30 AM UK, 5:30 AM EDT, 2:30 AM PDT). And if you missed yesterday’s Feature Stream, you can watch it here.

Today we’re talking about another feature added in the Verne Update, Origins!

Origins

Origins are chosen during Empire creation, and help tell your Empire’s backstory, by changing the starting conditions of your empire. Origins greatly expand the roleplay potential of your Empires, and we’re eager to see how the Community works this new feature into their empires’ backstories. There are also some Origins added by converting previously released civics into Origins, and a few completely new Origins, adding more value to DLC you may have already purchased.

These Origins are not meant to be balanced against each other, and there are some Origins that are stronger than others.

Prosperous Unification (Free)

Your Empire is the result of a stable planetary unification, which has allowed your empire to prosper and grow. Your empire starts with 4 additional pops and 2 additional districts on your homeworld.

1 - prosperous unification.png

Galactic Doorstep (Free)

Your empire starts with a ruined Gateway in its home system, will this result in a technological boon for your empire, or a foreboding menace? Your empire starts with a dormant Gateway in your home system.

2 - galactic doorstep.png

Lost Colony (Free)

Your civilization originated as a lost and forgotten colony of another empire, but contact with the homeworld was lost long ago. Your people endured many hardships before being ready to venture out into the stars again. An Advanced Empire of your species spawns somewhere in the galaxy.

3 - lost colony.png

Mechanist (Utopia)

Your civilization has always been preoccupied with the idea of robotic automatons since the early Steam age and developed the first true robots before even rudimentary space flight was achieved. Start with 8 Robot Pops, the technology and infrastructure to build more, and cheaper Robot upkeep.

4 - mechanist.png

Syncretic Evolution (Utopia)

Your species evolved in parallel with another sapient race. While naturally strong, this race has below average intelligence, and ancient wars culled them of their most aggressive tendencies, those that remain are quite servile. Start with 12 pops of another, subservient species.

5 - syncretic evolution.png

Tree of Life (Utopia)

Your hivemind evolved in a symbiotic relationship with a vast Tree. The Tree grants many benefits, but losing the Tree would be a disaster. Gain bonuses when living on a planet with a Tree of Life present, and penalties when it is absent. Colony ships are more expensive, but supply new planets with their own sapling.

6 - tree of life.png

Life-Seeded (Apocalypse)

Your species has evolved in a paradise, possibly designed just for you. Start on a size 25 Gaia world, and your species has Gaia World Preference, making other types of planets undesirable.

7 - life-seeded.png

Post-Apocalyptic (Apocalypse)
Baptized by nuclear fire, your civilization has faced total annihilation and survived. Your species has rebuilt civilization on the ashes of the old world. Start on a Tomb World, and your species gains the Survivor Trait, giving +70% Tomb World Habitability and +10 Year Leader Lifespan.

Resource Consolidation (Synthetic Dawn)
Your Machine Intelligence has long-since consolidated all the resources in your home system onto your Capital world, covering it entirely in machinery. Start on a Machine World.

Calamitous Birth (Lithoids Species Pack)
Your species is not native to your homeworld, but arrived when a meteorite slammed into the planet, killing most of the native life. Start with a Massive Crater deposit on your Homeworld, giving additional total districts and mining districts. Ability to build Meteorite Colony ships, which travel at great speed, but damage the planet being colonized.

8 - calamitous birth.png

That’s it for this week, join us next week when we will be giving a rundown of what’s included in the Lithoids Species Pack. Don’t forget to catch our release stream on Thursday, March 25th at 10:30 AM CET (09:30 AM UK, 5:30 AM EDT, 2:30 AM PDT)

Thanks for playing Stellaris: Console Edition!

• 5Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
can’t wait! really looking forward to getting stuck in.

out of interest, is there a resource consolidation equivalent for hive mind empires in the pc version or federations dlc?

Also they'll probably release the Ring with the nerfs they added to it in the later patches on the pc version because it was far too OP on first release.
I would imagine so, having a ring segment which is not only more powerful than it is in 2.2 but having it straight away would do so much for your economy for so little admin cap.

can’t wait! really looking forward to getting stuck in.

out of interest, is there a resource consolidation equivalent for hive mind empires in the pc version or federations dlc?
I hope not, they're practically Stellaris' Easy mode as it is. I don't need to have less of a reason to play as something else. I suppose it would be fun for role playing purposes but in terms of power I can't play as anything else simply because of pop growth and housing, among other things.

I hope not, they're practically Stellaris' Easy mode as it is. I don't need to have less of a reason to play as something else. I suppose it would be fun for role playing purposes but in terms of power I can't play as anything else simply because of pop growth and housing, among other things.
And also, that should come with the Utopia DLC, not Federations, since that's when Hive Minds were introduced, so I doubt we're getting that.

that’d be the reason for me. just fits. seems like a no-brainier too, especially if there is a similar start for machine worlds AND origins aren’t meant to be balanced against each other.
That comment they said seems like an excuse. Like they're just saying "fuck it". They nerfed the Ring world start origin because of how OP it was apparently. And the origins could be balanced against each other if they added events and stuff tied to them and altered certain stats. Like an origin which makes the things your empire is good for better while making the things it's bad for worse, making it so you have to play smart in order to take advantage of what you have.

That comment they said seems like an excuse. Like they're just saying "fuck it". They nerfed the Ring world start origin because of how OP it was apparently. And the origins could be balanced against each other if they added events and stuff tied to them and altered certain stats. Like an origin which makes the things your empire is good for better while making the things it's bad for worse, making it so you have to play smart in order to take advantage of what you have.
Maybe they should take Devouring Swarm away as a civic and add it as an Origin, making it so that you get a boost in pop growth and all the benefits it already has but an increased food upkeep. Maybe do something similar for Machines as well, but an increased energy upkeep or something. Also, can they please give machines and non-GCs the same amount of housing as Hive Minds? Machine empires make 4 less houses per warren/storage unit than a Hive Mind and non-Gestalts can't even build housing buildings on a habitat.

Maybe they should take Devouring Swarm away as a civic and add it as an Origin, making it so that you get a boost in pop growth and all the benefits it already has but an increased food upkeep. Maybe do something similar for Machines as well, but an increased energy upkeep or something. Also, can they please give machines and non-GCs the same amount of housing as Hive Minds? Machine empires make 4 less houses per warren/storage unit than a Hive Mind and non-Gestalts can't even build housing buildings on a habitat.
Alternatively, you could say that DS empires like meat better than grown food, therefore they don't have as good of an understanding of agriculture as other empires, so instead of 18 food per district, they make 12 food. On top of that get tid of the Nutrient Replication technology and bump up the resources of other empires to 12 per district rather than 8 and boom, much more balanced.

Alternatively, you could say that DS empires like meat better than grown food, therefore they don't have as good of an understanding of agriculture as other empires, so instead of 18 food per district, they make 12 food. On top of that get tid of the Nutrient Replication technology and bump up the resources of other empires to 12 per district rather than 8 and boom, much more balanced.
Maybe on top of THAT, get rid of the policies for food upkeep/pop growth and make the "priotitize pop growth" option the main one, or take its stats and make THAT one of the bonuses of a DS. I'm having fun with this, let's discuss this stuff.

Maybe on top of THAT, get rid of the policies for food upkeep/pop growth and make the "priotitize pop growth" option the main one, or take its stats and make THAT one of the bonuses of a DS. I'm having fun with this, let's discuss this stuff.
Oh, I forgot to say. With the bonuses of that policy enabled, at the beginning of the game you would have a huge declining food storage, so give DS enough pops and districts starting out to have about +20/m and throw it into the origin backstory that we narrowly avoided starvation or something.

Will there be the "Doomsday" Origin?