• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi again, Console Edition players!

I’m AC, and I’m the Community Manager for Stellaris and Stellaris: Console Edition! Hope you guys are all getting as hyped as we are for the upcoming release of [redacted]! Today we’re here with another dev diary, this one focusing on planets, buildings and districts!

The planetary rework is extensive, and will be covered over the next two console dev diaries.

Again for all the PC users here, you probably know all of this stuff, but you folks can enjoy the shiny new UI screenshots, and complain about the not-final-numbers and placeholder UI along with the console players, to whom most of this stuff is brand new!

Fleet Manager

The fleet manager is a new interface that allows you to overview and manage your navies, and lists all fleets in your empire. Each fleet has a template, which is a saved configuration of the ship classes and designs that are planned to be included in that fleet. Templates can be created and edited without ever building a ship, then pressing “Reinforce” will cause your shipyards to start building the ships, and they will automatically regroup at the fleet’s homebase.

fleet_manager_reinforce.png

Fleet templates make reinforcing your fleets after combat easier, simply press reinforce and nearby shipyards will automatically rebuild your losses (providing you have the resources available to build them, but more on resources will be in a later dev diary). There is also the option to upgrade the selected fleet, upgrade all your fleets, as well as attempt to reinforce all your fleets -- if you can afford it.

fleet_manager_upgrade.png

You also will get the ability to retrofit designs, for instance if you have two corvette designs. Select the design you want to change, select retrofit, select the new design, and select upgrade. The ships will attempt to upgrade at the nearest shipyard, and if there’s a lot of ships to upgrade, they will be spread amongst the nearest starbases.

Planetary Rework

The planetary rework coming in Console Edition 2.2 is a massive change to how Stellaris is played in the Console Edition. Tiles have been completely removed from the game in favor of a system that allows us to do many things that were never possible with the 25 pop limit in the old planetary system.

planetary_summary.png

Tiles and buildings have been replaced by a system that we feel better represents planetary features and gives the feeling of a planet where pops live their lives rather than a “resource gathering hub”, as it is in the current system.

Deposits

Under the old tile system, deposits were simply clumps of resources placed on a tile, which would be gathered by a pop and determined what types of buildings were most efficient to place there. Under the new system, deposits are more akin to planetary features and terrain. Every planet type will have (at least) some deposits unique to its planet type. For instance, grasslands will not spawn on Arctic worlds. Most deposits also directly affect the number of districts and what type can be built on planets.

planetary_features.png

However, there are rare deposits that give other bonuses, that give rare resources or research bonuses to a planet. Deposits can also have deposit blockers, reminiscent of tile blockers in the old system, that will block access to their districts until the blockers are cleared through an expenditure of time and resources.

Districts

Districts make up the core of how planets are developed in the 2.2 Console Edition. Districts represent large areas of a planet dedicated to resource gathering or habitation. The main planetary districts are: City Districts, Generator Districts, Mining Districts and Farming Districts. However there are special planet types (ie. habitats, ringworlds and [redacted]) that will have special districts, as well as special empire types that will have special districts (ie. Hiveminds get hive districts instead of city districts).

districts_detail.png

Districts will directly affect how your planets contribute to your empire’s economy. A heavily urbanized world with research buildings will generate lots of trade value and research, but as a trade-off will not produce raw resources vital to your empire’s upkeep and expansion.

build districts.png

A planet’s deposits and planetary modifiers will affect this decision, for instance a planet with lots of mineral deposits and a high quality minerals modifier will make a great mining planet -- but what if it’s also in a great place for a trade hub? The objective of the planetary rework is to create diverse and distinct planets that each have their own role to fill in your empire.

Buildings

In the 2.2 version of the Console Edition, buildings are specialized facilities that provide a variety of jobs and resources that are not suitable for large-scale resource gathering. For example, instead of your scientists working in a physics lab on a physics deposit (whatever that is..) you now instead construct a Research Labs building, which provides a number of Researcher jobs that conduct research for your empire. Buildings are limited by the number of pops on a planet, with every 5 pops unlocking a new building slot.

build buildings.png

Buildings are sometimes limited to one per planet, for instance the Autotchton Monument, while you can have as many Alloy foundries as your building slots will allow. Buildings can still be upgraded to more advanced structures, however as a rule there will be far fewer upgrades to do, and those upgrades will generally require an investment of rare and expensive resources, so upgrades are more of an active choice over something you simply click your way through after unlocking a tech.

That’s it for today! Thanks everyone for reading part one of this subject, and be sure to join us next week while we discuss Pop Jobs, Pop Strata, Unemployment, Stability, Amenities, and Happiness/Approval Rating. We also may have a surprise coming next week, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled!

Less dev diaries more work.

We can all go online and watch pc players playing the real game. Dont need these.

Hmm really sounds like your opting to try and milk 30-40 a dollars a pop on DLC thats been out for over a year. Pretty obvious now why you ported the most outdated version you possibly could. I know im not spending what my console is worth on dlc so that i can have robots in a space game.

The AI in this game just shoves crayons up their nose and all the devs just dont ackonwledge it and act like its even a little immersive. Try to set up a cool multiplayer game and its still a ton of rng because we have 1/3 of the customization options.

Should have taken you leaving tantalus in charge of it as the que to be suspicious.

Like what a year in and we have plantoids and leviathins? Great. So stoked on this 10$ portrait set and 20$ dlc to find some scary stuff in space. Way to push the envelope paradox. You guys are changing gaming. When i fired this set in space game i deffinetly never expected to find one scary monster in the galaxy. Who would of thought you just had to bait it with a 20$?

Obviously ive lost hope as the evidence indicates y'dontcare about it being good

Less dev diaries more work.

We can all go online and watch pc players playing the real game. Dont need these.

Hmm really sounds like your opting to try and milk 30-40 a dollars a pop on DLC thats been out for over a year. Pretty obvious now why you ported the most outdated version you possibly could. I know im not spending what my console is worth on dlc so that i can have robots in a space game.

The AI in this game just shoves crayons up their nose and all the devs just dont ackonwledge it and act like its even a little immersive. Try to set up a cool multiplayer game and its still a ton of rng because we have 1/3 of the customization options.

Should have taken you leaving tantalus in charge of it as the que to be suspicious.

Like what a year in and we have plantoids and leviathins? Great. So stoked on this 10$ portrait set and 20$ dlc to find some scary stuff in space. Way to push the envelope paradox. You guys are changing gaming. When i fired this set in space game i deffinetly never expected to find one scary monster in the galaxy. Who would of thought you just had to bait it with a 20$?

Obviously ive lost hope as the evidence indicates y'dontcare about it being good
Dude you need to cut your shit. You know there are all stuck at home right now right? It also costs money to port it over and make sure it runs efficiently, also not to mention they are upgrading us to a point in time that adds a whole new set of how to play so it makes sense that it will take a long time all of the prices for dlc are the same as they were for the pc when they first came out. The dev diaries are here so we know what's coming not just because. And if you knew, the 2.2 update for PC made even good pcs have trouble with late game so they probably have to make sure that it doesn't make consoles blow up considering consoles have worse tech then pc. So some patience can go along way. I would rather it take a bit and be good and not laggy then it being rushed out within a few months and it be buggy and barely playable

Dude you need to cut your shit. You know there are all stuck at home right now right? It also costs money to port it over and make sure it runs efficiently, also not to mention they are upgrading us to a point in time that adds a whole new set of how to play so it makes sense that it will take a long time all of the prices for dlc are the same as they were for the pc when they first came out. The dev diaries are here so we know what's coming not just because. And if you knew, the 2.2 update for PC made even good pcs have trouble with late game so they probably have to make sure that it doesn't make consoles blow up considering consoles have worse tech then pc. So some patience can go along way. I would rather it take a bit and be good and not laggy then it being rushed out within a few months and it be buggy and barely playable
He's partly right (if we ignore the huge rant). He's right about the AI and the lack of dlcs in almost a year. The rest I don't agree. 30-40$ for 3 dlcs is very good for me.

He's partly right (if we ignore the huge rant). He's right about the AI and the lack of dlcs in almost a year. The rest I don't agree. 30-40$ for 3 dlcs is very good for me.
Though I can agree that almost a year without anything is not that good, it does make sense though. Mainly because they are going to 2.2 which means that we will still get all of the dlcs but just not right away. I want to go to the new economy update which im pretty sure a lot of people do so I think taking longer to go to something that changes the game a shit ton would be better. Now that we are going to here I don't think we will have to wait a long time again unless they go from 2.2 to like 2.5 or even 2.6 which I doubt. Though I wish we got more info within the year that we have had to wait

Though I can agree that almost a year without anything is not that good, it does make sense though. Mainly because they are going to 2.2 which means that we will still get all of the dlcs but just not right away. I want to go to the new economy update which im pretty sure a lot of people do so I think taking longer to go to something that changes the game a shit ton would be better. Now that we are going to here I don't think we will have to wait a long time again unless they go from 2.2 to like 2.5 or even 2.6 which I doubt. Though I wish we got more info within the year that we have had to wait
Same. If we had more news since Utopia I would not be so dissatisfied about their work. Like stated in the previous dd, they had to focus on Federations which I find totally unfair. I mean, a single dd is what we got in February after a looooooong wait since Utopia. Still, this dds are good to keep the hype up but I'd prefer a release date altogether. I think most of us would agree with this.

Same. If we had more news since Utopia I would not be so dissatisfied about their work. Like stated in the previous dd, they had to focus on Federations which I find totally unfair. I mean, a single dd is what we got in February after a looooooong wait since Utopia. Still, this dds are good to keep the hype up but I'd prefer a release date altogether. I think most of us would agree with this.
Well from I guessed from right now, I would say the earliest is some point in June. Though that being said, they may be waiting until the new consoles come out so that the game can run better but I doubt that so I'm guessing some point in the summer

the pc version is way ahead of console and the gameplay you see will have a lot of features still to be added to console.

They probably chose tantalus because they previously developed the console port of Cites:skylines as well as the Stellaris base game and DLC.

the pc version is way ahead of console and the gameplay you see will have a lot of features still to be added to console.

They probably chose tantalus because they previously developed the console port of Cites:skylines as well as the Stellaris base game and DLC.
Some people are just rude like "I want it now" younger people dont have patience these days.

Well from I guessed from right now, I would say the earliest is some point in June. Though that being said, they may be waiting until the new consoles come out so that the game can run better but I doubt that so I'm guessing some point in the summer
Well they mentioned a surprise for this week andnim guessing it's the release date. I'd say late May

Some people are just rude like "I want it now" younger people dont have patience these days.

I don't think that's fair to say at all given how the 2.2 update and DLC scheduling for console edition has been handled. I'm not going to go off on one like some people here, but rather than dismissing their frustrating as some kind of immaturity, I very much understand where they're coming from. Between Utopia's release and February of this year, there was complete silence from the devs and rumours circulating that the console edition might not even be supported moving forward. Then PC get their relics update, then the big Federations DLC is announced and still nothing. Finally we get a dev diary basically saying "here are features PC has had for ages that you will get sometime. When? Oh, that's a secret."

Don't get me wrong, I wanted development diaries and I wanted to hear something to confirm that the game would be supported and updated but I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with the lack of communication in general as well as a lack of transparency. I think with Stellaris we're in a unique position where everyone already knows what's coming and the content already exists in some form, so the hype building just feels unnecessary and inappropriate. We're coming up on about 9 or 10 months since Utopia dropped when most people were expecting something in late November/December, so console players are justified in their disappointment overall, and there's still no release date - not even a vague 'summer 2020' to hold on to.

I'm not here to bitch and moan because I have other stuff to play, and it'll come out eventually but I have pretty much stopped playing Stellaris for months at this point because I've done everything. Seen every event, tried all playstyles, got all the PS4 trophies for all DLCs... the game is super stale to me just now, and the complaints about dumb AI are very true. 2.2 will definitely rekindle my interest because I love the game but I know that many players are turned off by how this has been handled overall. I'm sure more might get turned off when they express some frustration on the forum and are ridiculed for it too, but that's neither here nor there. I just don't see why we can't discuss this like adults with a balanced view. This hasn't been all that good, but at least they're talking now and at least things are happening - it could be much worse.

I don't think that's fair to say at all given how the 2.2 update and DLC scheduling for console edition has been handled. I'm not going to go off on one like some people here, but rather than dismissing their frustrating as some kind of immaturity, I very much understand where they're coming from. Between Utopia's release and February of this year, there was complete silence from the devs and rumours circulating that the console edition might not even be supported moving forward. Then PC get their relics update, then the big Federations DLC is announced and still nothing. Finally we get a dev diary basically saying "here are features PC has had for ages that you will get sometime. When? Oh, that's a secret."

Don't get me wrong, I wanted development diaries and I wanted to hear something to confirm that the game would be supported and updated but I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with the lack of communication in general as well as a lack of transparency. I think with Stellaris we're in a unique position where everyone already knows what's coming and the content already exists in some form, so the hype building just feels unnecessary and inappropriate. We're coming up on about 9 or 10 months since Utopia dropped when most people were expecting something in late November/December, so console players are justified in their disappointment overall, and there's still no release date - not even a vague 'summer 2020' to hold on to.

I'm not here to bitch and moan because I have other stuff to play, and it'll come out eventually but I have pretty much stopped playing Stellaris for months at this point because I've done everything. Seen every event, tried all playstyles, got all the PS4 trophies for all DLCs... the game is super stale to me just now, and the complaints about dumb AI are very true. 2.2 will definitely rekindle my interest because I love the game but I know that many players are turned off by how this has been handled overall. I'm sure more might get turned off when they express some frustration on the forum and are ridiculed for it too, but that's neither here nor there. I just don't see why we can't discuss this like adults with a balanced view. This hasn't been all that good, but at least they're talking now and at least things are happening - it could be much worse.

I have to say I'm very much in line with Mr. Slickbawsmcgraw here.

I am, as many other players, in the very same position right now:
-annoyed by the lack of communication for a Year or so..
-in love with the game, but looking for new challenges...
-hoping to have something in my hands very soon to deal with, but still kept blind on when (not even an indicative season) btw I'm very much building the impression it will be unfortunately end of the year.:(

But I want to still try to see other side of the coin and give some trust to this guys summarized below:
-AceParadox seem to be new in Stellaris CE communication responsible role, and from when he/she joined, at least we have a first communication in February, and a Development Diary now (you Paradox guys may want to keep secret the name of the predecessor, trust me).:p
-I strongly guess they needed to verify Stellaris sales impact on consoles, before planing the next steps, that's maybe why they took sooooo long before doing or even communicating something (I'm being very nice with them here I know..)
-on the other side, didn't they give us the best grand strategy game in the world? YES, so still some credit to them.. but... @Aceparadox don't take advantage of me being so nice... ok? keep working on anticipating the delivery as much as possible. (and give us some date to dream upon)
;)

Regards

I have to say I'm very much in line with Mr. Slickbawsmcgraw here.

I am, as many other players, in the very same position right now:
-annoyed by the lack of communication for a Year or so..
-in love with the game, but looking for new challenges...
-hoping to have something in my hands very soon to deal with, but still kept blind on when (not even an indicative season) btw I'm very much building the impression it will be unfortunately end of the year.:(

But I want to still try to see other side of the coin and give some trust to this guys summarized below:
-AceParadox seem to be new in Stellaris CE communication responsible role, and from when he/she joined, at least we have a first communication in February, and a Development Diary now (you Paradox guys may want to keep secret the name of the predecessor, trust me).:p
-I strongly guess they needed to verify Stellaris sales impact on consoles, before planing the next steps, that's maybe why they took sooooo long before doing or even communicating something (I'm being very nice with them here I know..)
-on the other side, didn't they give us the best grand strategy game in the world? YES, so still some credit to them.. but... @Aceparadox don't take advantage of me being so nice... ok? keep working on anticipating the delivery as much as possible. (and give us some date to dream upon)
;)

Regards
Yea I agree with what you and the other guy said. I've done most things I the game and have all but 3 achievements on xbox and have gotten bored of the game. I want the new economy update because as of right now I am very bad and hope that the economy update can help me play better cause I know more about 2.2 then 1.7. But I also think that the quarantine is definitely not helping the situation these past months. And I think that it's taking forever because it is hard to get it to work without glitching and being saggy and stuff

I hate to be so Naggy but I am running out of things to do on the outdated version and I want the to bring it out sooner than later but I do understand they are working from home and that is gonna impact that

I would have prefered more effort put to pushing us towards parity but I don't know how much or how little effort that takes. Cities Skylines is handled by the same people and it is equal and I like it, but the content creators pack was a bit mishandled, a story for a Skylines forum.

I want more dev diaries.

The idea that a single person giving dev diaries is going to massively affect the work to update the console is well, ludicrous. Also, and attitude like that is probably why we don't have engagement here in the forums. What I hate is this. I had a comment for a different game removed in here in the Paradox forums when I quote this...

ddvwtge-9ebdfed8-0d8b-4b90-bd6f-cd81d991617f.jpg

This was considered an "insult" there. But, I have had no such censure here ever.

If we want more out of people we have to work with them. There is a reason I came back after this personal insult to my honour. Because here is not there. Because people working on one thing does not mean people working on another.

We have no idea what goes into coding for console. For all we know there is constant weeping with their team as every time they fire up the game crashes twenty minutes in as the console can't handle it. Stellaris was known as the PC killer almost as much Crysis, for all of the PC master race stuff going on in here which I find endless tiring, they are right when it comes to one thing. The console is a far less powerful machine. It is also cheaper, easier to obtain, easier to use, and less prone to viruses. But what we do know is this, things are happening. WHY DO WE KNOW THIS?! Because of the Dev Diaries!

I want more Dev Diaries, I want more direct communication on the consoles. There are a lot of people you guys don't seem to know are console only. They don't know this forum exist they don't know about these dev diaries exist, and they can't find them. They are most properly the same people who only know this game because they fired up their console after a long weeks work and saw "A space game" and went I like space games and I like strategy games, and had a go.

These people thought that this was it until we started talking about it in the groups on Xbox.

@Aceparadox

Just keep soldiering on.

The majority of people like the Dev Diaries certainly more than you can see here. Most people are lurkers at the best of times and like I said some aren't even getting information here. They are getting passed from here to where they are.

Please keep working hard.

And for the majority of us, we would love to see more communication not less.

Thanks.

P.S. Please stop making me windowing space miner's wives and husbands, I don't want to kill them...