• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi again, Console Edition players!

I’m AC, and I’m the Community Manager for Stellaris and Stellaris: Console Edition! Hope you guys are all getting as hyped as we are for the upcoming release of [redacted]! Today we’re here with another dev diary, this one focusing on planets, buildings and districts!

The planetary rework is extensive, and will be covered over the next two console dev diaries.

Again for all the PC users here, you probably know all of this stuff, but you folks can enjoy the shiny new UI screenshots, and complain about the not-final-numbers and placeholder UI along with the console players, to whom most of this stuff is brand new!

Fleet Manager

The fleet manager is a new interface that allows you to overview and manage your navies, and lists all fleets in your empire. Each fleet has a template, which is a saved configuration of the ship classes and designs that are planned to be included in that fleet. Templates can be created and edited without ever building a ship, then pressing “Reinforce” will cause your shipyards to start building the ships, and they will automatically regroup at the fleet’s homebase.

fleet_manager_reinforce.png

Fleet templates make reinforcing your fleets after combat easier, simply press reinforce and nearby shipyards will automatically rebuild your losses (providing you have the resources available to build them, but more on resources will be in a later dev diary). There is also the option to upgrade the selected fleet, upgrade all your fleets, as well as attempt to reinforce all your fleets -- if you can afford it.

fleet_manager_upgrade.png

You also will get the ability to retrofit designs, for instance if you have two corvette designs. Select the design you want to change, select retrofit, select the new design, and select upgrade. The ships will attempt to upgrade at the nearest shipyard, and if there’s a lot of ships to upgrade, they will be spread amongst the nearest starbases.

Planetary Rework

The planetary rework coming in Console Edition 2.2 is a massive change to how Stellaris is played in the Console Edition. Tiles have been completely removed from the game in favor of a system that allows us to do many things that were never possible with the 25 pop limit in the old planetary system.

planetary_summary.png

Tiles and buildings have been replaced by a system that we feel better represents planetary features and gives the feeling of a planet where pops live their lives rather than a “resource gathering hub”, as it is in the current system.

Deposits

Under the old tile system, deposits were simply clumps of resources placed on a tile, which would be gathered by a pop and determined what types of buildings were most efficient to place there. Under the new system, deposits are more akin to planetary features and terrain. Every planet type will have (at least) some deposits unique to its planet type. For instance, grasslands will not spawn on Arctic worlds. Most deposits also directly affect the number of districts and what type can be built on planets.

planetary_features.png

However, there are rare deposits that give other bonuses, that give rare resources or research bonuses to a planet. Deposits can also have deposit blockers, reminiscent of tile blockers in the old system, that will block access to their districts until the blockers are cleared through an expenditure of time and resources.

Districts

Districts make up the core of how planets are developed in the 2.2 Console Edition. Districts represent large areas of a planet dedicated to resource gathering or habitation. The main planetary districts are: City Districts, Generator Districts, Mining Districts and Farming Districts. However there are special planet types (ie. habitats, ringworlds and [redacted]) that will have special districts, as well as special empire types that will have special districts (ie. Hiveminds get hive districts instead of city districts).

districts_detail.png

Districts will directly affect how your planets contribute to your empire’s economy. A heavily urbanized world with research buildings will generate lots of trade value and research, but as a trade-off will not produce raw resources vital to your empire’s upkeep and expansion.

build districts.png

A planet’s deposits and planetary modifiers will affect this decision, for instance a planet with lots of mineral deposits and a high quality minerals modifier will make a great mining planet -- but what if it’s also in a great place for a trade hub? The objective of the planetary rework is to create diverse and distinct planets that each have their own role to fill in your empire.

Buildings

In the 2.2 version of the Console Edition, buildings are specialized facilities that provide a variety of jobs and resources that are not suitable for large-scale resource gathering. For example, instead of your scientists working in a physics lab on a physics deposit (whatever that is..) you now instead construct a Research Labs building, which provides a number of Researcher jobs that conduct research for your empire. Buildings are limited by the number of pops on a planet, with every 5 pops unlocking a new building slot.

build buildings.png

Buildings are sometimes limited to one per planet, for instance the Autotchton Monument, while you can have as many Alloy foundries as your building slots will allow. Buildings can still be upgraded to more advanced structures, however as a rule there will be far fewer upgrades to do, and those upgrades will generally require an investment of rare and expensive resources, so upgrades are more of an active choice over something you simply click your way through after unlocking a tech.

That’s it for today! Thanks everyone for reading part one of this subject, and be sure to join us next week while we discuss Pop Jobs, Pop Strata, Unemployment, Stability, Amenities, and Happiness/Approval Rating. We also may have a surprise coming next week, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled!

This fleet manager feels a little bit strange but I'm sure we will get used to it. I'm hopeful for a release date next week. Fingers crossed.
More than likely announcing Synthetic Dawn.

Hey since I didn't see any of it answered here. I would like to ask the same questions on behalf of what the console club people are asking.

@Aceparadox

There as far as I know a few things console players want.
1. A >rough< release date, a month or season/quarter it will be released in?
2. What if any dlc will there be, and how much will it cost?
3. Download size.

I like this updates pictures it gives us a rough idea of what it will look like. But correct me if I am wrong but it is this 2.2 Le Guin and now what 2.2 will look like on console?

Also, if you are able. Can you share any of these pictures on console? Xbox is extremely strict about what people put up on there (with good reason) and I think you would get some love by showing it off on your official channels through that.

2.2 is what you see in the past dev blogs though those are pre release versions you see.

The dlc will have what pc guys have but not sure which comes first. Probably the machine one first

EVERYBODY, LOOK OUT! THIS IS NO ORDINARY FORUM DWELLER, THIS MAN HAS A PC! I BET HE BUILT IT, TOO.
Yes to all the above. But seriously this update did make the game unplayable to a lot of people because the game's performance spiked to unplayable very quickly as the galaxy fills out. Even a moderate spec PC has dramatically more processing power than a console. That is a simple fact. So it is a serious concern that this update will have the same or worse mid-late game performance that the PC version had.

So, you can stay butthurt that I made a PCMR joke or you can make yourself aware of the potential serious problem.

Hey since I didn't see any of it answered here. I would like to ask the same questions on behalf of what the console club people are asking.

@Aceparadox

There as far as I know a few things console players want.
1. A >rough< release date, a month or season/quarter it will be released in?
2. What if any dlc will there be, and how much will it cost?
3. Download size.

I like this updates pictures it gives us a rough idea of what it will look like. But correct me if I am wrong but it is this 2.2 Le Guin and now what 2.2 will look like on console?

Also, if you are able. Can you share any of these pictures on console? Xbox is extremely strict about what people put up on there (with good reason) and I think you would get some love by showing it off on your official channels through that.

Firstly thank you Aceparadox.

I think it's too soon for Paradox to throw out a release date. Even if Paradox had an in house release target I'd gather they'll keep it under the table until the work is given the heads ups.

I'm just going to assume that with the historical game and DLC chains that Paradox have the "knack" for it would be both uncharacteristic and somewhat of let down for just one to be released.

As for the posted images I'm going to take them as they are and there's a chance that they will be altered. They provide a good but temporary preview of the future look of Stellaris CE.

In essence there's only going to be speculation about what's on the horizon unless we all hear about it from Paradox.

I'm not sure of the feasibility of uploading too much to console communities/hubs as this forum/social media are practical mediums. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't upload a collage of images as supposed to uploading many single ones?