• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Plazas & Promenades Dev Diary #2: Management & Progression

Welcome back mayors, to the second Plazas and Promenades Dev Diary! Today we explore the details of how to manage pedestrian areas, what progression looks like for them, and what an area focus is. So get comfortable and let’s get started.

The key to a successful pedestrian area is managing the service points and keeping citizens happy and entertained. As mentioned in the previous Dev Diary, service points have a maximum capacity. This is the number of trucks that can visit them per week. It can be seen both on the tooltip of each building as well as when selecting it.

If a service point nears its capacity for either cargo or garbage, it will notify you of high traffic but will continue to function. If it reaches its capacity for one or both types of trucks, it will be unable to service all buildings. This will lead to garbage piling up or goods not being delivered. Make sure your pedestrian area has enough service points and that these are spread out to avoid traffic congestion.

2-1 Service point busy.png

Add more service points when you reach maximum capacity

Pedestrian Area Panel
To see how well your area is doing, select the name of the pedestrian area or use the button on any service point to open the Pedestrian Area Info Panel. The panel displays the average happiness of all buildings in an area, and the entertainment provided by parks and plazas divided by the size of the area. These are combined into a land value bonus, which is applied to the entire area, just like the entertainment is, making pedestrian areas more desirable for citizens and businesses.

The Area Panel also shows a breakdown of the different zone types in an area, as well as the area focus, which is determined by the most prevalent zone type in an area. The focus can be either residential, commercial, workplaces (industry and offices combined), or mixed. Only the zones on pedestrian streets in an area count towards the area focus.

Last but not least, the info tab contains a handy overview of the area’s service points and their capacity for both cargo and garbage, as well as information about the area’s size and maintenance cost.

2-2 Area panel.png

The Pedestrian Area Info Panel provides an overview of your pedestrian area

Progression & Focus
Pedestrian areas do not have levels like other area types, but instead have different categories of buildings that get unlocked simultaneously. Some of these are universal and can be unlocked by any pedestrian area, while others are tied to a specific zone type. The Unlocking tab on the Pedestrian Area Panel shows you what is required to unlock each building and how close you are to unlocking them.

Additional Service Points can be unlocked by any area as it grows and as service points are visited by more trucks. New service points in turn help you better handle the demands of the area as it grows. Like service points, Plazas can be unlocked by any area. As their unlocking depends on the land value bonus the area provides, make sure to have plenty of services, education, as well as parks and plazas in place.

2-3 Unlocking.png

Unlock more service points, plazas, and unique buildings as your pedestrian area grows

Next up we have the 6 new unique buildings, which come in two categories and can be found in the Unique Buildings menu. Pedestrian Area Landmarks tie into the area focus for an area and require either a number of residents, goods sold, or workplaces in an area to unlock.

Meanwhile, the Tourism Buildings are unlocked by reaching certain levels of weekly tourists visiting a pedestrian area. While these are not tied to a zone focus, you will need to provide attractions for tourists to visit in the form of parks and plazas, unique buildings, or commercial buildings.

2-4 Uniques and plazas.png

Increase the attractiveness of your city using the new plazas and unique buildings

Area Policies
The one tab on the Pedestrian Area Panel we haven’t talked about yet is the Policies tab. On this tab, you can apply four different policies to your area to customize how it works. The policies are free to use, but each has downsides to consider.

Slow Driving affects all roads in the area, forcing a speed limit of 20 everywhere and, as a result, decreasing noise pollution. Sugar Ban deals with the health of your citizens, increasing the lifespan of citizens, but with an increased crime rate as citizens start smuggling illegal candy bars into the area.

You can also allow Street Music, which boosts the happiness of commercial buildings in an area but also increases the noise pollution slightly. And lastly, Deliver Everything routes all cargo and garbage through service points for all buildings in a pedestrian area. So in addition to handling the cargo and garbage needs for buildings on pedestrian streets, the service points need to handle cargo and garbage for buildings on regular roads too. I hope your service points are ready for the extra traffic!

That concludes this Dev Diary. I hope you now have a good idea of how pedestrian areas work and if not, don’t hesitate to ask! In the next Dev Diary coming Friday at 4PM CEST / 7AM PDT, we’ll cover the new plazas & service buildings, which can be used on their own or as a part of pedestrian areas. For now, I will leave you in the hands of Overcharged Egg with this video tutorial:

Schedule_1080x1080_final.png

• 19Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Question to the Devs, but will this expansion include 'mixed use' zoning or buildings? Or will any given building still be exclusively a residential/commercial option?
No mixed zoning type, but we do have 3 new specializations for the existing ones, which we'll talk about in the dev diary on the 7th of September.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This update looks definitely sweet and exciting, I won't add any unnecessary chore to the « paint-area » mechanic, I feel like enough had been said.
In the mean time while I was sweeping around the responses on this forum, I'm really surprised nobody pointed that what I could call a giant elephant in the room, let me explain :

It looks like we won't get any proper "car management" system in this game, proper and functioning parking lots, managing how many spaces we want to allocate for cars to be parked inside some areas etc etc.
To me it's a HUGE missed opportunity while bringing this brand new pedestrian only city center for example.

Not only it does add a level of depth and but also is clearly connected to this DLC as the question to know how and where vehicles will be parked raises while designing an entire area free of it.
Since I first bought this game, I'm dreaming of a DLC that could tackle this issue, sure things I modded my games, I disabled the wild spawn / despawn on vanilla, but there is nowhere near a proper " car space " management be it around the roads ( the green roads don't have any parking space ! ) or on a dedicated parking lot.

Sadly, it's a huge missed opportunity, I had to say it.

1000% agreed. This is a huge missed opportunity. Sadly CO have confirmed on Instagram that there are no parking lots coming to vanilla with this update and no changes to the parking/pocket car mechanics either. So the car ports coming with the Mid Century Modern CCP are the closest we vanilla/console players will be able to get.
Screenshot_20220830_085124.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
Between base game, Airports, and Vehicles of the World, there's a decent variety of busses, even without Workshop. Definitely need some big ones.

Shame there won't be trolleybuses, considering all the work they put into them.

DLC needs to assume players have neither of those packs. The base game buses are visually out of scale with the sunset harbor and CCP buses too so could do with a revamp alongside this pack.

1000% agreed. This is a huge missed opportunity. Sadly CO have confirmed on Instagram that there are no parking lots coming to vanilla with this update and no changes to the parking/pocket car mechanics either. So the car ports coming with the Mid Century Modern CCP are the closest we vanilla/console players will be able to get.

If these car ports operate anywhere for general parking (which the train stations CCP buildings seem to) then you have to wonder what the issue is...or they're just holding it back for a DLC.

• 1Like
Reactions:
DLC needs to assume players have neither of those packs. The base game buses are visually out of scale with the sunset harbor and CCP buses too so could do with a revamp alongside this pack.
While the other DLCs I mentioned have it covered, I do agree. Especially considering the whole "can't cross the DLCs" mentality. So there should be at least one higher capacity bus added to the base game or this DLC.

• 1Like
Reactions:
1000% agreed. This is a huge missed opportunity. Sadly CO have confirmed on Instagram that there are no parking lots coming to vanilla with this update and no changes to the parking/pocket car mechanics either. So the car ports coming with the Mid Century Modern CCP are the closest we vanilla/console players will be able to get.View attachment 872079

Couldn't agree more with your statement.
It's a bummer for console players and generally players who don't mod heavily this game.

I'm thinking on top of my head that the code responsible to this weird "pocket car" mechanic is either too old or too complicated to revamp it completly on a free update ( accompanying this DLC for example ), same goes for the Traffic AI that literally anyone complains about since this game first came out.
But then again modders can do wonders on this game ( thinking about Traffic Manager in particular ).
My wild dream is that it's still a small team doing these DLCs while they are busy doing what could be allegedly a second iteration of Cities Skylines with much better foundations on it's codebase.

I'm a developer myself, so it all makes sense to me, again that's just my two cents I'm not there on their studios to assess wether it's true or not.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Often I try to make pedestrian paths when the slope is too steep, and of course using Anarchy mod to do it. But the result is not good IMO, so...

Why not make stairs for pedestrians? Either as a separate asset, or paths could be automatically converted to stairs when the slope is too steep. I guess it makes a lot of sense, since it's very common to have stairs in pedestrian areas. That would be a nice addition to the game, IMO.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wondering... Is anyone else having difficulties reaching the garbage truck milestones? I primarily build with green self-sufficient high density residential buildings. I require the recycling policy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wondering... Is anyone else having difficulties reaching the garbage truck milestones? I primarily build with green self-sufficient high density residential buildings. I require the recycling policy.

Self-sufficient residential produce 30% less garbage than regular residential, so you would need larger pedestrian areas to reach those goals. However, with the lower garbage production are the service points able to keep up fine? Or are you seeing garbage pile up?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Self-sufficient residential produce 30% less garbage than regular residential, so you would need larger pedestrian areas to reach those goals. However, with the lower garbage production are the service points able to keep up fine? Or are you seeing garbage pile up?
I was thinking that was the ”problem” (air quotes because it’s not really a problem)… service points are functioning well. In a superblock like the one shown here, a small service point uses on average 1/3 garbage trucks/week and all the cargo trucks. I am using Realistic Population, so residential population is juiced up—and it’s hard to achieve the office tile count as well because I try to zone mixed-use as much as possible.

I was thinking about making an area using regular vanilla residential just to clear the achievement, but I adore the green aesthetics.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjygxLePIQf/

• 1Like
Reactions:
p.s. I did notice that the larger service points don’t seem to pick up trash when I upgrade from a small service building to the larger one. Need to investigate more to figure out what is happening there. I’m not seeing any warnings so I believe the buildings are placed correctly. But as a zone levels up and population increases, when I replace the smaller service points with a larger point the garbage service fails to operate. As a stop-gap, I’ve just been adding additional small service buildings (rather than placing the larger one) in order to maintain trash service.

• 1Like
Reactions:
p.s. I did notice that the larger service points don’t seem to pick up trash when I upgrade from a small service building to the larger one. Need to investigate more to figure out what is happening there. I’m not seeing any warnings so I believe the buildings are placed correctly. But as a zone levels up and population increases, when I replace the smaller service points with a larger point the garbage service fails to operate. As a stop-gap, I’ve just been adding additional small service buildings (rather than placing the larger one) in order to maintain trash service.
Are all buildings in the area not getting garbage picked up? Or just some? And if it happens consistently when using the large service points, it would be very nice to have a report on the support forum with the savegame attached so we can look into it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It was all. It takes much longer for the self-sufficient buildings to show error messages. I replicated the problem
Are all buildings in the area not getting garbage picked up? Or just some? And if it happens consistently when using the large service points, it would be very nice to have a report on the support forum with the savegame attached so we can look into it.
Yes ... I needed a day to test it again (high school teacher). When I place the large service points, garbage doesn't get picked up. You don't notice it if notifications are turned off because the building empties of people and then goes abandoned. So it looks like a "death wave" in the population screen. I'm going to add a link of my mods and assets collections as well just in case.

Attachments

• Screenshot 9.png
    Screenshot 9.png
    2,2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 8.png
    Screenshot 8.png
    2,3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It was all. It takes much longer for the self-sufficient buildings to show error messages. I replicated the problem

Yes ... I needed a day to test it again (high school teacher). When I place the large service points, garbage doesn't get picked up. You don't notice it if notifications are turned off because the building empties of people and then goes abandoned. So it looks like a "death wave" in the population screen. I'm going to add a link of my mods and assets collections as well just in case.
p.s. It isn't a game-stopper for me. I've just been plopping additional small service points as the population in these areas expands, and they seem to work fine.

• 1Like
Reactions: