• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello again folks, it's time for another dev diary on Legacy of Rome! Today, I'll talk about the new Faction system as well as the changes we have made to Plots and Ambitions. Like I mentioned last Wednesday, Factions are part of patch 1.07 and will be available to everyone free of charge.

Factions are, essentially, a kind of Plot; a Faction has a leader, a number of members, and a clear goal (for example, to Lower Crown Authority in the Kingdom of England). However, there are some key differences: Factions always target the liege, and they are always known to the liege as well as the other vassals. A vassal can lead up to two Factions, but be a member in any number of other factions, unless their goals are contradictory. If a faction leader dies, the most powerful remaining faction member automatically takes over as leader. When the leader thinks the Faction is powerful enough, he can issue an ultimatum to his liege. The liege can then either give in to the demands peacefully or refuse, which triggers a Civil War where all faction members revolt together in an alliance.

LoR_01_ERE_Factions.jpg

Currently, we have the following Factions:

• Succession by Primogeniture in [Title] (used to be a Plot)
  • Succession by Seniority in [Title] (used to be a Plot)
  • Succession by Gavelkind in [Title] (used to be a Plot)
  • Elective Monarchy in [Title] (used to be a Plot)
  • Lower Crown Authority in [Title] (used to be a Plot)
  • Independence
  • Install [Claimant] in [Title]

The last two are of special interest, since they really change the dynamics of the game. AI vassals will no longer just declare wars for Independence, or revolt to install themselves on the throne. Instead, they will seek to gain enough support before daring to take such drastic measures. I.e. all members in an Independence faction will declare war together, and the war score will be determined by their mutual efforts. If they are lucky, other vassals can also ask to join them while the war is ongoing. We are considering adding some more factions, but the more we add, the trickier it is to get the balance right and the AI to pick the ones that make most sense. Factions are, of course, fully moddable, like Plots.

LoR_01_ERE_Possible_Factions.jpg

As a liege, there are several things you can do to suppress Factions: you can make the members like you more (of course), you can imprison or kill the members, and you can send your Spymaster to Scheme in a faction member's province, which can lead to events where the vassal is blackmailed, threatened or cajoled into desisting.

As a vassal, it is dangerous to be in Factions because the liege will not be pleased by your disloyal politicking. If you are not the leader, you can also find yourself dragged into an inopportune uprising when the Faction leader so decides. You can get other vassals to join your Faction in the same way the liege can suppress it; you can make them like you better, or send your Spymaster to "convince" them.

You can start, join, or leave Factions at any time without cooldowns or penalties; it's essentially just a declaration of support for a goal.

That's it for Factions. Another change in patch 1.07 is the separation of Plots and Ambitions in the interface. Characters are now allowed to have both a Plot and an Ambition. Plots are still mainly handled in the Intrigue View, but Ambitions, being personal, are now only selected in the main Character View; and there are more of them. We have added Ambitions for improving each of your basic skills (Diplomacy, Martial, etc), as well as one for decreasing the Decadence of your dynasty. While you have the Ambition, there is chance that various related events will trigger.

LoR_01_Ambition.jpg

I should probably mention that, since they change the core gameplay, all of these features are available for all characters and not just the Byzantine Empire. That's it for now, stay tuned for more tidbits next Wednesday!

Last edited:
What I would like to know are rival factions, like if two factions both want to replace the current liege with a claimate, but faction 1 supports claimate x and faction 2 is for claimate y. Could massive faction vs faction wars be possible, where a realm is splintered as two factions got at each other to place their claimate on the thrown, with the added possibility of fighting their liege's supporters as well? Claimate based factional wars would add more depth to realms with elective or open succession, with multiple claimates fighting against one another for the title of heir, instead to the usual assassination plots that occur.

I think you should add a cooldown for rejoining factions after your liege has made you quit one, otherwise they will always immediately rejoin.

or maybe your ability to rejoin should be dependent on your intrigue/diplomacy skill.

Or they could work the current mechanics ideas, if you ask someone to stop backing a plot, that is you vassal or in your court, you receive a +50 relations boost to them when they accept.

Can't join a faction if relations too high.

What I would like to know are rival factions, like if two factions both want to replace the current liege with a claimate, but faction 1 supports claimate x and faction 2 is for claimate y. Could massive faction vs faction wars be possible, where a realm is splintered as two factions got at each other to place their claimate on the thrown, with the added possibility of fighting their liege's supporters as well? Claimate based factional wars would add more depth to realms with elective or open succession, with multiple claimates fighting against one another for the title of heir, instead to the usual assassination plots that occur.

This is already in the game with plots, but you rarely see them. I'd say they don't happen enough, but hopefully the factions mechanic will improve upon that.

I have an idea, but this may have already been brought up by someone else. I think that when a faction leader decides to put his plot into motion, there should be a vote amongst the members of the faction, and then you would only be able to proceed if you had a certain percentage of the vote. This would mainly be useful to people who were supporting someone else's plot, but weren't ready or willing to start an uprising yet. If you were the leader of the plot, the AI would accept or decline based on the normal factors - Political concerns versus liege, opinion of faction leader, opinion of liege, current lack of funds, etc.

Edit: Oh also, I thought of something else. In the event that your vote fails, then you could have the option to continue anyway, but only with the people who accepted the vote. The people who declined would be removed from the faction, and they'd have no further obligations to aid the faction leader. (Unless, of course you invited them back later.)

Last edited:
Adding the factions sounds a very welcome idea. What I would really like to see is a faction/plot with aim of dissolution of the empire or kingdom you are in. I suppose the independence faction can really hamper the big blobs but if there was a faction for total dissolution of, say, HRE, I would join immediately. I have seen kingdoms and kingdom titles destroyed and vanish because of invasions or jihads but never empires. I could really see some HRE dukes supporting this, in opposite to just trying to get imperial throne for themselves.

Faction to institute free investiture would be welcome, too. At the moment, kings and emperors never install free investiture, even if it would be for their best. It is because they always want to raise the crown authority only. If you want free investiture (I always want), the only option is to break free, acquire a kingdom and only then get the law. Which is kinda restrictive, boring and deterministic.

Just wondering, this faction system will be added to all empires or just to the Byzantine one? Kinda would be nice to see all these additions coming to all other empires in game. Personally, i love to form Hispania and those fights around that area.

Factions will be in all realms, see the first post of this thread. Where Doomdark talks about a faction in England

Just wondering, this faction system will be added to all empires or just to the Byzantine one? Kinda would be nice to see all these additions coming to all other empires in game. Personally, i love to form Hispania and those fights around that area.
Factions are basically reworked plots. They'll be for everybody, not just empires.

This stuff is either pretty potent or I just got lucky. As a test, I made a Mathilda game and joined the first faction available (Duke Pierre of Savoy for HRE) and just fast forwarded time a bit, then I got the option to fire it, I did, and the Kaiser accepted "to spare the realm a harrowing war". Huh.