• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi all,

I’ll be posting the dev diary on behalf of @Braindrift today, who’s taking us through the details of the Great Wonder construction feature which comes in the Heirs of Alexander pack!

Great Wonders
The Heirs of Alexander content pack will include a design-tool which allows you to assemble and construct your own Great Wonders. The tool gives you a 3D view of your construction, and once the building is completed, your creation will be represented on the world map.

01.JPG

The Great Wonder construction tool window

You have 3 different categories of constructions to choose from; pyramids, towers and buildings. Each category has their own set of modules, like bottom, middle, top for towers, that can be interchanged and combined within each category to create the shape you’re going for.

The Great Wonder design window is reached from the building tab in the territory view, once there is a Wonder under construction, or completed, a fourth tab will appear that displays relevant information about your creation.

Materials
Each module has a material, the default is stone, which is considered to always be used as the main building component for a construction. Other examples are silver, ivory and marble, in total there’s 9 different materials which each affect the look on the module they’re applied to. To be able to use a material, you need to import its related trade-goods to the province in which you build the Great Wonder. If you for example have set one of the modules to be covered in silver, you need to import Precious Metals to the province. If you ever lose an import route, the progression of the construction will be halted until you’ve set up a new route for the required goods.

2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Model and material variations for some towers - Edit: More variations and categories at the bottom of this post

Effects and Prestige
Your Wonder can have up to three effects, which are basically powerful modifiers, some with unique aspects that can’t be found anywhere else in the game. Some effects can only be used by unlocking the corresponding invention in the technology trees, while others are accessible to all. Each effect has four tiers, and the construction's prestige value is what decides what tier you can choose from. The fourth and final tier can’t be reached during the design phase, instead the Wonder has to age for some centuries, until it has accumulated enough prestige to be upgraded with the top tier effects. This means that the simple stone tower you built in the beginning of your journey can grow and become as powerful as the pompous gold abomination your neighbor saved up money for, but couldn’t complete until late game. Of course, this puts the burden on you to protect your cultural treasure, as prestigious constructions become highly attractive to conquer.

5.JPG

Effect selection window

Costs, construction time and construction leader
The construction of a Great Wonder will be a massive undertaking to complete, even for large and advanced civilizations. There’s always an upfront cost in money from the treasury, which will be decided by category, materials and what effects you assign. The same factors affect the amount of work that needs to be done, but the final construction time is based on the number of slaves, tribesmen and freemen you have available in the province which the construction is built in.

Construction time is further affected by assigning a construction leader. Similar to military and naval leaders, there’s a significant dent in efficiency without a leader assigned, the construction speed being decreased by 25% without one. The governing stat for construction leaders is Finesse, which will speed up the construction by 5% per point.

We’ve also expanded on the character traits to make them relevant when choosing your construction leader, giving them effects such as improved slave efficiency from the Harsh trait, or some added construction prestige value from the Polymath trait.

There will also be a Political Influence cost, related to what modifiers you add to your construction. More powerful modifiers cost more PI. Upgrading or changing modifiers will also be related to a PI cost.

6.PNG

The envy of your neighbors

Ancient Great Wonders
As a part of the Marius update, we’ve also brushed up the good ol’ Ancient Wonders such as Stonehenge, Colossus of Rhodes and Lighthouse of Alexandria. Each of them now have one of the tier 4 effects that you can use for your own constructions, making them both valuable assets to keep within your domain, and attractive targets for conquest. There’s also a number of events connected to the wonders, giving them some story and an additional management aspect.

/Braindrift

Edit: On popular demand, some more samples on what you can build.

Buildings
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Pyramids
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG
07.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
So... EU4 DD today is about Monuments. Coincidence?

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So... EU4 DD today is about Monuments. Coincidence?
Ouch, I dread to think how badly that would've gone down in this forum!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Some sort of Arsenal, a la Venice and Carthage?
Great walls, great temples, lighthouses and libraries.
Can we have more than one per city? Maybe two for a metropolis, and/or an additional one for the realm capital? Cities like Alexandria and Rome should be really special. I'd love if a lot of the existing modifiers and buildings are added (eg Parthenon, Campus Martius etc.) And unique missions for Rhodes to build the Colossus!
YES, please!

• 1Like
Reactions:
It is one thing that you are not looking forward to this feature. Tastes and expectations are different. This is OK of course.

But calling the blood, sweat and heart put in this 2.0 update by the dev team a shame, is also quite a shame. Have you read any of the previous dev diaries so far? Imperator Rome 2.0 will be nearly a complete other game compared to the state before. They have put so much work in it... to use your words: they have worked on so much relevant things coming to life with 2.0, that this little flavor gimmick with the Wonders is like a cherry on a cake. If you don't like it, you should not care. The cake is fantastic even without the cherry. And the best thing is: this cake ain*t fnished after the 16th of February. It will get even better and better with the follwing updates in the future. Thank you Paradox for not quitting the development of this wonderful game.

And now I want some cake, and no cake at home... I should not have used this metaphor. :D
I saw the other dev diaries. I never say that is a shame all the things they are doing, just the wonder thing.

You are attacking a strawman argument. He's not saying he doesn't want to play with the 2.0 patch, or that he doesn't value the time and work put into that, he's talking specifically about the DLC, and how he doesn't want to pay for the other features if that means he can't disable wonders.

People here always attack points people don't make.
Thanks

Or you could seize the idols of a temple and bring them home to display in your own temple, symbolically taking their gods prisoner (which I believe was actually done at times).

Isn't that more covered with the Treasures mechanic for holy sites?

• 2Like
Reactions:
It is weird how many people ask for things that are already in the game.

Probably means they aren't implemented very well. After all what he suggests is not in the game. Translating a deity was something some cultures did, Romans had evocatio, and in Mesopotamia taking the statue was equal to taking the diety (remember, the ancient world was a lot more magical). There might be other examples. But this is not present or even abstracted at all in game.

Neither is the plubdering of massive library collections done notoriously by the Romans (who lacked such big collections before they started stealing them from the east - libraries were in their infancy in Rome at the game start).

Last edited:
Why play the game when you can do rework suggestions on the forums instead.
Actually, playing the game and knowing all the different features, it is quite challenging and demanding.

Making suggestions in the forum, well...

Charisma "job(s)" should be added, when diplomacy gets updated.

Maybe for Zeal a job can be found in the future aswell.
@IsaacCAT made a proposal on such jobs, but it failed to get enough votes (unfortunately).

Personally I would hope that territories don't automatically lose ownership, if no pops inhabit it in a future update to avoid these "holes" that sometimes occur. Maybe allow adjacent nations to colonize such a empty territory peacefully, but giving the former owner a casus belli.
Colonization rules should be relxed significantly. Allow to colonize any unowned tile that borders your county or is within naval range. Drop the other requirements!
Make colonization much more expensive for balance. (that could work as a new money sink)

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
@IsaacCAT made a proposal on such jobs, but it failed to get enough votes (unfortunately).
Thank you for the mention. They implemented the builder on Wonders, we will see more jobs, eventually.

I believe Characters can give many interesting mechanics to this game. Politics have to play through them, as well as trade and many others.

POPs will be the living world that the player do not control directly while characters dialogue with the player to manage this world.

Most Wonders were unpractical, sorry for being the realistic unfun person here, but others were practical and that should give some real bonus, the other as monuments just prestige and that kind of things:

- Library of Alexandria is a Great Wonder wich is pretty practical
- Also the Pharos of the same city

Roman Wonders, well romans were practical and make many wonders that today ( for no real reason) are not considered wonders, Colosseum, Segovia Aqueduct, Imperal Palace. They build much more than any other civ, in quality and quantity, so perhaps there is no the contrast some wonders have when compared to civil buildings.

Temples can be considetred "practical" buildings and wonders, perhaps from today standard we considered them "monuments or just decorations" but at that time they were point of interest, landmarks and place of power. So they can be cosidered practical ( peregrination points, meeting places, exchange of ideas, center of wealth)

But sadly, plain monumnets shouldn´t give much bonuses exept for little prestige or similar.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I know, 'great wonders' and all, but seriously... no triumphal arches, aqueduct visuals from lakes to cities, great columns, baths.. Surely great monuments, famously roman monuments should have been part of this feature for a game called Imperator Rome?

• 5Like
Reactions:
I know, 'great wonders' and all, but seriously... no triumphal arches, aqueduct visuals from lakes to cities, great columns, baths.. Surely great monuments, famously roman monuments should have been part of this feature for a game called Imperator Rome?
Baths should be normal buildings, if they ever get introduced (could be a higher building tier branch, if building branches become a thing in the future). Aqueduct visuals would be nice on the map too.

Agree with the triumph arches and columns/statues as Great Wonders! I hope they add those one day to the DLC. Joachim said on the stream, that they planned more, but some things were left out - I hope I remember this correctly from the stream. But those additions would make the feature even better!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: