• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Imperator Dev Diary, 2/3/2020

Salvete Omnes!

Welcome back for another Imperator dev diary. While we have some further additions to the religious aspect of Imperator awaiting you, I want to have something to show you, and so we’ll leave these until next week. Indeed, the site of them might interest you greatly.

Today however, I’d like to inform you that we’ll be bringing a few highly requested minor features, fixes, and changes to the table in the 1.4 update.

Deny Trade Requests

In patch 1.4, you will be able to specify which Trade Goods you wish to deny requests for, on a national level. Simply put, the AI will no longer consider these goods as valid when searching for a trade. Switching a good from permitted to denied will not cancel current exports; you will still have to do that manually.

V7JE9E-Le0bhuAbyh4123tHRjbV6YbmtgtN59TQS3q5JP4bpGyABBmj1y99cqXADiA0mIsbuF-Dq2OBmxQRRhKVQsJEXDtZ1r2PmRps7cpI2shdH_TKyAvc8qi0k4psYeXsAfU1p

City Graphical Culture

In patch 1.4, the graphical culture of a city will represent that of the dominant culture present in the territory. Practically, this will mean the city appearance changing when the dominant culture eventually does, creating a much more dynamic experience for those wishing to convert the culture of any given territory.

This was a tricky subject; on one hand, cities throughout history have built around the creations of former owners, resulting in wonderful hybrid architectural styles that are so common in many parts of the world. All this said, the map is designed to be a representative viewport, intended to give you an overview of information relevant to your game. As such, we’ve opted to make this change.

The Continue Button

Yes, in patch 1.4 you will be able to continue a game that has reached the end-date. There will be no new content past this point, and techs will continue to scale indefinitely. Achievements will not be available for those in ironman mode, past the intended game end-date.

AI Control (MP)

Those who enjoy multiplayer games may be pleased to know that you will now be able to decide how much control to give the AI over your nation in the event of disconnection or missing a session.

r-Bqu75gK3nR7S0XmOic7OduQdNILJv1_8sa45HO2Cphyerb0bOZ2HRbo0Cov0MVJNZCq0__V_T9QbubHiBk6JRy_a8sxlymuHVooeB3xNPyD3Lh92Wc3QungHs5izlN7GvTOthu

Historical Characters

One small thing that has changed in the Archimedes update is that we can now set up dead characters that existed before the start of the game. This has very little effect in the game, and in most cases there are few such characters that it would be meaningful to have, we will however be adding some important family history here and there.

You may well find some known faces among the previous rulers of your country for instance:

vDaep1kA5QQgdDfglmKZmiDXgp9TBat2tkYPOczg9nf6nbbXHXvLAtFlvlwk2OwBo2NnrJYatq3i0oLrduoaYDuGqZFJ89PyarpzjlprdoEDfcoO0jWG08B1EQIJbhzb3GNADp7V

sMb6QOBd_0KDM5W7z7kvScxytdAc9hj9aYd1EIeriGixvWhxkyJCHaKlHeRskMgbHLMiyDs3aZ8PaLrZ2U-OeORVjr6b5sIYYXICdEFGqRQYXKB5inlFMi5JSzxlf8Vz0d1S8cuj

This said, there may have been an ulterior motive behind this… you’ll just have to wait and see.

/Arheo

• 1Like
Reactions:
Historical Characters

One small thing that has changed in the Archimedes update is that we can now set up dead characters that existed before the start of the game. This has very little effect in the game, and in most cases there are few such characters that it would be meaningful to have, we will however be adding some important family history here and there.

Really nice! That was a detail that I felt was really lacking in the game

Denying trade requests on a national level? I think it won’t be by any means useful, as most of the times I need to block grain requests only from the capital province.

We don't exactly know Alexander's hair colour, but it almost certainly wasn't that blond. Descriptions of "blondish" hair may have even been entirely fictional, given the colour's metaphorical significance. Also, even if we accept the sources that say that as accurate, people in the Meditarranean are (and were) called blond just by having light-brown hair. What's shown in the picture is ludicrous for the region.

City Graphical Culture

In patch 1.4, the graphical culture of a city will represent that of the dominant culture present in the territory. Practically, this will mean the city appearance changing when the dominant culture eventually does, creating a much more dynamic experience for those wishing to convert the culture of any given territory.

This was a tricky subject; on one hand, cities throughout history have built around the creations of former owners, resulting in wonderful hybrid architectural styles that are so common in many parts of the world. All this said, the map is designed to be a representative viewport, intended to give you an overview of information relevant to your game. As such, we’ve opted to make this change.

The Continue Button

Yes, in patch 1.4 you will be able to continue a game that has reached the end-date. There will be no new content past this point, and techs will continue to scale indefinitely. Achievements will not be available for those in ironman mode, past the intended game end-date.

/Arheo
Finally, excellent changes, looking forward to play with them :D
(pls let there be an open beta soon^^)

City Graphical Culture - hurray! hip, hip, hurray!

Thanks a lot guys. This was the most demanded new feature for me since the start and i guess all the lobbying for it paid out. I can't put in word how much i appreciate that. I already see my first playthrough where i acutally conquer Gaul and Germania as Rome, something i always avoided for immersion reasons. Further to get a roman looking Arriminium. Yes! A thousend thanks.

Is it possible to group food trade goods together? In the permitted section?
Because that's the first thing every player will look for. And right now grain, fish, livestock and veggies are all in different colums. And will probably shift their position once you block any trade good.

But, that is a such needed feature. Thank you so much.

Deny Trade Requests

In patch 1.4, you will be able to specify which Trade Goods you wish to deny requests for, on a national level. Simply put, the AI will no longer consider these goods as valid when searching for a trade. Switching a good from permitted to denied will not cancel current exports; you will still have to do that manually.

V7JE9E-Le0bhuAbyh4123tHRjbV6YbmtgtN59TQS3q5JP4bpGyABBmj1y99cqXADiA0mIsbuF-Dq2OBmxQRRhKVQsJEXDtZ1r2PmRps7cpI2shdH_TKyAvc8qi0k4psYeXsAfU1p
I would prefer it if we could just set a "intended minimum" of each resource for each Province. Usually we only want 1 for most provinces (for the Strategic Goods unlocks), 2 for the Capitol (for the Capitol Surpluss). But especially for food resources, you might want way more then a mere 1-2 import/local production per province if there is a Capitol level amount of cities.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/minor-improovements-for-trading.1315657/
Of course it is a bigger rework.

Right now I would either either instantly import it to the capitol once the request pops up (the AI request basically becomes a notifier a good is avaible). Or I would export it to get that half bonus+money now, to later cancel it if I can get the Capitol Surpluss instead.
I can see situations where others migth want this, but personally I will propably never touch the feature.

Last edited:
Alexander has to be at least 21 in Martial.

Also could we get multiplayer chat as well?
I think he should have much higher finess, he actually did have good ideas how to hold together his empire, a score of 6 seems too low, probably could be increase to 10-12. He also founded alot of cities.

Historical Characters

That's great and all, but what I'd really like to see is historical characters appearing during the game, or at least great people with disruptive and impactful actions in the game.
In particular, a certain Roman family which gave birth to a few (and arguably the two most) important characters in the period, and which it's very unlikely to even see in the game at all because of how great families work now, needs to be give some attention.

Denying trade requests on a national level? I think it won’t be by any means useful, as most of the times I need to block grain requests only from the capital province.

Well, I am nor sure they won't be by any means useful (I can think of a scenario where I have the regional monopoly of a strategic resource and I don't want anyone else in the region to get them), but it is true that I had hoped that we could do that at a province level instead. I was tired of having continuous requests for useful surpluses - that I did not want to lose.