• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Imperator Dev Diary 12/06/2019 - Modding Part 2: Music!

g4_rGypR-IIjTuqBUuUE-bpBJet4tV05FO5aAYhQCYzrVX9sWVRyJSmSqsMp99lXwKiVJAxC8exRWJwrb0idkAPCZubuMiiMyBB_01_JD3yW-a_HAUvtyRx214CEbMm-gjNbWQrA

Music Modding

Brief

Starting with version 1.3 Livy, Music Modding is now available on Imperator!

This is made possible thanks to a crucial under the hood improvement introduced by updating the Music System internally to a new version of our JominiMusicManager and also updating Fmod to version 2.x. Players won’t immediately notice any differences to the music playback, but there’s a bunch of cool stuff that this new Music System brings with it and we hope to make use of them more in the future.

The long story short is that one of our talented programmers (Will Jordan) has found a way to use the API from Fmod to playback mp3s, ogg, (or pretty much whatever audio filetype that FMOD supports) directly using just a filepath! For modders this means that if you want to add or replace music to the core game, it is as simple as adding a folder with the songs, adding a new txt file with music definitions and boom, all those tracks are now going to be available inside the game music player.

z8ZOQ4kwPqYt9Fd_pg_qDzLHl4VqHujoHnUXeQxSQvk2CA3QOq5G-_YRIdnCigW-f8ZLRIFCFxlQRN6TvJgVMqr4fnRDnS9FMd4znCFDRwva7jRGoaF_4BZKUUleoe2q3F1HVbKs

Try the Mod!
If you want to try it out yourself, a new mod has been uploaded to Steam today that adds all the soundtrack from
"Europa Universalis Rome" and changes the main track to be the one that shipped with the 2008 version. It should automatically extract itself on the “Documents > Paradox Interactive > Imperator > mod” folder, and from there you just need to enable it through the PDX launcher on Steam and then make sure the build is 1.3+ .

Also, with these new MusicManager comes new Debug Tools: Such as Music.PlayTrack nameOfTheTrack , Music.Pause, Music.Reset and Music.Weight which are all quite handy to test out specific songs, check spacing and pauses between them and so on. More info on that upon request ;)

PDX Launcher
Bs-pGv3ryosdnIlDBVot8gadosN_n9zg8tzkZlj_Vjx7_ht4PaHkqsbRlczV_cR6WH6ySRI-H4lGW4MDf0rk0VMI5xTRmBLvT0a-sEUVN5lmawSzWivU_KwK_9jZpgh1dfu1PRDU

Mod Contents

DoJ6ZyUJyCwjYz3i9ExWGCSJUKKRxBo0dFbVva0NvVU8tNyOi_xIb15u_s1GjtASdiseSTyrSLv5xQUGhnlvUTPIsnFptH6_CN-PRPup7y1GpWDazZw3D_lZNxB36CjEjQ1lp38R

ZtlEv4J8A9iShiSi7BMJLMAQu7GDEronevLTqrGh0W2dX1L8_l7Y-hoNR4ceITPbJUaxoPztPBRysrL8eiscaKTNXr78LTMYJCOGV17f_EYAgBvPGBYKJQumK8MFSONH4-htvTse

(These files will be added inside the game’s music folder, overwriting the main theme definition, and appending the extra songs)

Summary
When we started thinking about supporting Audio Modding for Imperator, we looked at what our community requested the most and prioritized our scope around that.

We learned then that the highest requested feature was to be able to add more music to the base game.

Also, we wanted to make it as simple as possible for anyone.

Adapting new tech and methods tends to create friction, and Fmod is an amazing tool that enables us to make our games sound even better, but from a modding perspective it definitely looks quite different to what our community has been accustomed to through all these years. Therefore, by providing a simple way that is as straightforward and familiar as it ever was, we hope Music Modding will be very well received and motivate any of you to create and share your own music mods.

So join us on a trip down memory lane and download this music mod that automatically adds an additional hour of music to the base game:

Europa Universalis: Rome Music Mod
Download Link

Europa Universalis: Rome Soundtrack
Composed by: Andreas Waldetoft

• Main Theme - Legions of Rome
  • Rome Goes to War
  • Riding to Battle
  • Auxiliaries
  • Rome is the Light
  • The Senate
  • Eagle Fly North
  • The Field
  • Vae Victis
  • To Victory
  • Citizens
  • Barbarians Approaching
  • Battle of Zama
  • Elysian Fields
  • Grief
  • All Trade Routes Lead to Rome
  • Rock and Rome
  • Imperator
  • Victorious - Rome Finale

Total runtime: 70 minutes

I hope they not only do the standard track manager but copy the HOI4 Radio system.
The option to quickly turning on and of music by themes and mods is even cooler than the standard PDX track manager system.

Absolutely, I concur in thinking that the radio system is a fabulous idea also!

I like all you done with the game ! I Just have one question its a really Big question a lot of people might like to know the answer to WILL we be able to rename our family name or the main character any time soon? Well easily for simpletons and dreamers like me who want to make family in game lol so will there ever be?

QUOTE="Cassilda, post: 26080094, member: 49543"]Just to ask, the Europa Universalis Rome soundtrack cannot be released as a free DLC so not to replace the Imperator one (like in Hearts of Iron IV)? I do really like EU: Rome soundtrack, but it's better a longer one composed by both (Imperator and EU: Rome) than having to choose either one or another.[/QUOTE]
Hey Cassilda! Just in case it wasn´t clear on the dev diary.

That´s exactly what´s happening right now! You have both, so it actually adds 70 minutes of new music!

Is it possible to place conditions on the weight of a song? Like war/peace or culture/country?

YES! It is possible. <3 Expect more on that in the future. (It's already available for anyone who wants to go and tweak the script files)

@Audiomancer - thank you for this, Andreas Waldetoft is one of the best composers that I know (on top of him, IMO, are only Kirill Pokrovsky, Darren Korb and Marcin Przybyłowicz).

One very important question though: when can we expect to hear main theme during loading game? You know, like a most NORMAL thing one could expect from a game on its audio side - is this like a bug or you intentionally made so that we only hear main theme once we see main menu? For me, it's hilarious. Music during game launching is there to make you immerse, start thinking about your gameplay. It works like that with every other PDS game. What is wrong with Imperator??

You know what? It was by design, but actually, now that you mention it... It does make sense to use it as a "mood setter". The reason was that the main theme for I:R has this really nice low drum roll when it starts and we all felt it was great with the Logo appearing for the first time. But hey...might be time to revisit it and change it ;)

Thanks for the feedback!

Perfect, much appreciated
However, it would be better to have it built-in to the game as a free DLC instead of a mod.

Well, it was designed to showcase how you can make a Music Mod, the most straight-forward way. That's its main purpose. Adding music to the game is a side-effect, hahaha...

How this was not noticed and overlooked is absolutely beyond me...
It was one of the first things to pop up in the mod workshop ffs!

The goal has always been to have the music react to Gameplay... Get the music to be as adaptive as possible for a Paradox GSG title. For that reason, the game needs to be the music player itself. It needs to be able to play and pause and change the songs, depending on the events that are triggered by the game session.

That's always been the reason for the music player not to be there :)

Thanks for the feedback though! Keep it coming!

Reactions:
I understand that current scripting would have to be changed to support the following, but wouldn't it make more sense if the music crossfades into a more noticeable one once you get a special event? Most obvious would be switch between war and peace music - with tracks taking several minutes there's a clear disconnect between those. Also for rarer occurrences like switching between cultures or religions (probably much more appropriate in Crusader Kings 2) so that you immediately hear that everything has changed.

As I've said, I'm not sure how to enable this even script-wise, cause as far I see it the current system makes a random roll on a weighted list when the time comes and makes no distinction between unique and generic music. Also you can have dynamic music for any situation so it'd be hard for the game to know if a new unique track wants to kick in unless it checks for that all the time.

Reactions:
I understand that current scripting would have to be changed to support the following, but wouldn't it make more sense if the music crossfades into a more noticeable one once you get a special event? Most obvious would be switch between war and peace music - with tracks taking several minutes there's a clear disconnect between those. Also for rarer occurrences like switching between cultures or religions (probably much more appropriate in Crusader Kings 2) so that you immediately hear that everything has changed.

As I've said, I'm not sure how to enable this even script-wise, cause as far I see it the current system makes a random roll on a weighted list when the time comes and makes no distinction between unique and generic music. Also you can have dynamic music for any situation so it'd be hard for the game to know if a new unique track wants to kick in unless it checks for that all the time.

Yes... Well... Stay tuned! I think something like that will be much more clear on another project that has recently been announced ;)

In any case, thanks for your feedback, and we'll have a look at how to improve what we currently have also.

Yes... Well... Stay tuned! I think something like that will be much more clear on another project that has recently been announced ;)

So I guess choosing a seduction focus will instantly change the music to this.

Now that I think about, the general direction of sound techniques in Paradox games is fine. CK2 still irritates me with some quirks (generic event sound is long and distracting and happens all the time), but it's already miles better than Victoria 2 (marvel at the symphony of 2 dozens railroads finishing at the same moment) but starting with EU4 I can't think of anything I don't like. Imperator Rome seems to be missing some sounds for buttons added in a patch, but I guess it will be fixed sooner or later.

[...] Imperator Rome seems to be missing some sounds for buttons added in a patch, but I guess it will be fixed sooner or later.
If you would like to help us speed up that process, feel free to make a bug report in the related subforum.
Dankeschön! :)

This not working for me. Clean install of the game and sub'ed to the mod on the workshop. I have no "mod" folder under \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Imperator. The mod is downloaded here: \Games\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\859580\1929682011\music\eu_rome_music

Making the mod folder and copying over the modded music folder into did not work either. In game it's the same music.

Actually no mods are working! See here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/game-wont-load-mods.1295720/

Any help?

Last edited:
Audiomancer said:
The goal has always been to have the music react to Gameplay... Get the music to be as adaptive as possible for a Paradox GSG title. For that reason, the game needs to be the music player itself. It needs to be able to play and pause and change the songs, depending on the events that are triggered by the game session.

That's always been the reason for the music player not to be there :)

Thanks for the feedback though! Keep it coming!

I get that, and I have noticed in game that this does occur (certain events firing, and the music changes correspondingly); and to be honest I do like that element of the experience. To that end I agree with you and would say I'm a fan of what's been done here. However there are stretches of play without said events, and frankly, some of us (myself included obviously) like some tracks better than others. I'd rather have more control in game (say to the extent the HOI4 music player does), than having to silence the music in game and playing my own playlist in the in background. I appreciate that this might sound a touch pedantic, but given it's a feature in all your other modern titles, surely it isn't too unreasonable a request.

Is there a compromise where we can still have an in-game player, AND the music can be reactive to events and triggers and such? I agree that part is immersive, and as a player I would like to subscribe to your design philosophy as possible. It's just an annoyance that merely to have in game control of music, I cannot play in Ironman, or otherwise I have to mute music in-game, and play my own stuff in the background. That feels like a lose-lose for all concerned.

In any case, I hope my initial post didn't seem too harsh (and I meant no ill-will or offence). Also, I wish to state my appreciation for you swift and well considered reply; it's more than can be said for most developers out there, and the communication is invaluable. So to that end, dankeshön. :)

Reactions:
(...) Is there a compromise where we can still have an in-game player, AND the music can be reactive to events and triggers and such? (...)

Hey Carroarmato! Thanks for your kind words. I don't know if this would work for you, but I just tried "New Game", selected "Ironman", and then once inside I hit Tab to get the game console: In there you can use a command called Music.PlayTrack and tab again, revealing the names of all the songs available for the MusicManager to play. Then you can do something like "Music.Playtrack track16" and skip to the song you want. It should work fine, and not affect your Ironman scores, but please have a look and let me know since I might be wrong.

Hope it helps! :)

2019-12-12 11_24_40-Imperator.png

Reactions:
Hey!
Adding Tracks and replacing the Main Theme do work, but not replacing Tracks. Or do I have to change something in the .txt file?

track1 = {
music = "file:/music/rome_music/Empires.mp3"
weight = 25
can_be_interrupted = yes
}

track2 = {
music = "file:/music/rome_music/Tribes.mp3"
weight = 25
can_be_interrupted = yes
}

Track 1 and 2 are still the originals from the game. How can I replace it?

Last edited:
This not working for me. Clean install of the game and sub'ed to the mod on the workshop. I have no "mod" folder under \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Imperator. The mod is downloaded here: \Games\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\859580\1929682011\music\eu_rome_music

Making the mod folder and copying over the modded music folder into did not work either. In game it's the same music.

Actually no mods are working! See here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/game-wont-load-mods.1295720/

Any help?

Was having the same issue. I went into debug mode and opened the console and can choose the track and i think I figured out the problem. There are two tracks called po_track1 and po_track2. These have original music and ALWAYS play as the next track. I can choose tracks from the mod but if I let the player choose the next song it is always either po_track1 or po_track2.

@Audiomancer could you please show us how to add our own custom banks to the sounds folder? :)

i tried adding my own fmod build to the MOD_banks folder, but every time i try to play an event from my custom banks, it's completely silent. they do show up when you type 'audio.listevents' in console though. so i suspect it's a mixing issue.

the only time it works is if i replace the games master bank with my own, but that's not really an ideal solution because it throws away all of the games audio.

any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated :)

@Audiomancer could you please show us how to add our own custom banks to the sounds folder? :)

i tried adding my own fmod build to the MOD_banks folder, but every time i try to play an event from my custom banks, it's completely silent. they do show up when you type 'audio.listevents' in console though. so i suspect it's a mixing issue.

the only time it works is if i replace the games master bank with my own, but that's not really an ideal solution because it throws away all of the games audio.

any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated :)

Hello! At the moment we are not fully supporting fmod modding, but what you did it's perfectly correct and your assumption as well: For you to be able to hear the events properly they need to be routed to the original Master channel's GUID. In the future we will share a template fmod session that will contain those channels pre-installed so that you can route everything to the correct place and hear it in the game.

Having two Master.banks is actually possible and recommended if you want to add your own extra-routing to the game, but all the new events need to still go to the same Master.

-----
Good work all of you figuring out how the whole system works! Happy Holidays :)

I get a weird issue with the mod.

I am getting the EU:Rome intro music but don't get the other music pieces when playing. I am doing something wrong but i cant manage to find it (haven't seen anyone reporting the same issue).

I have deleted redownloades the mod but no change.
Any advise?

Thank you in advance

I get a weird issue with the mod.

I am getting the EU:Rome intro music but don't get the other music pieces when playing. I am doing something wrong but i cant manage to find it (haven't seen anyone reporting the same issue).

I have deleted redownloades the mod but no change.
Any advise?

Thank you in advance
Same thing happens to me!

Comforting to know that there are others with the same issue. :):)

Yet has anyone succesfully resolved it? I haven't seen anything on it in the mod forum either.

Finally figured it out. Make sure you have downloaded the free DLC. I did that and I finally got the full list of songs.