• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Imperator Dev Diary, 10th of February 2020

Hi all,

As the eagle-eyed amongst you noticed last week, I included a subtle hint upon the subject of today’s DD.

Accompanying the Deity rework that you have already been introduced to, we’re working on a dynamic Holy Sites feature. In keeping with the organic way that Pantheons and deities work, we wanted holy sites to be entirely within player control - something you could dedicate, destroy, and utilise, without having a strict, pre-existing list of sites from day 1.

How will they work?

Any territory can be designated a Holy Site to a Deity which exists as part of your pantheon, and which does not currently have a designated Holy Site. The territory needs to be of the same dominant parent religion as the deity, and there will be a substantial cost for doing so. There can only be one holy site for a deity in the world (consider them a parent temple): if you want to acquire the site for a deity in your pantheon yet it is owned by someone else, you’ll need to resort to more violent means.

If you own and control the holy site dedicated to a deity, the passive and active effects of that deity will be increased. They will have a ‘level’ which is tied directly to the city status of the territory in which they are placed. This ties into some further goodies which I’ll explain more about in a future diary.

You can, of course own holy sites dedicated to Deities that are not part of your pantheon, though you will receive no additional bonuses for doing so.

What about historical sites?

There will be a bunch of pre-scripted holy sites such as the temple of Apollo at Delphi, or the Asclepeion at Epidaurus. Many deities will not have pre-scripted sites.

Can we destroy holy sites, once they’re created?

You will be able to desecrate holy sites, effectively removing the dedication for ephemeral bonuses, and allowing the site to be rededicated elsewhere. This will harm your relations with countries who worship this deity as part of their pantheon.

As a bonus, here’s a WIP wireframe of how your new Religion View might look, after the 1.4 update:

Zkmi1-DVwaAj9tPHK9vWJh0tx1VuHwy8dAaoESiBl7EtkkQwe1IuflG6a4EkSrl7QX1q6hyq2YCkAq_pnql0_MbCyOzvgbIjU4WaHDVTPyedMrgZ267BVlbOxMdcUT4vVCxijq6e

Next week, we’ll be back to have a look at some of the Missions that will be coming as part of the paid Content Pack: Magna Graecia, that will accompany the 1.4 release, as well as a look at the revised holdings mechanic, which contains a new take on character land ownership.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Now that's what i call a mega-campaing. From the founding of the Roman empire, to the dramatic years of WW2. I'm glad i'm a fan of paradox games:cool:

Till 1945 (WW II ends)? No, HoI shouldn't then end before 2200...

Will it be possible to change the size and composition of pantheons ingame, much like how national ideas work currently? Either as part of vanilla or a functionality enabled via modding? My thought is that larger/more societally sophisticated nations would have more lively pantheons weighted towards different things. E.g. a Pan-Germanic Kingdom having 2 additional war gods for a total of 6, due to their warlike tendencies guiding the growth of their religious syncretization and general expansion.

How will you deal with when religions are completely destroyed and no one is left will the holy sites still be there or will it be changed to suit the new religion encompassing the territories of the old now nonexistent religion?

I hate to be that person but... is there any historical precedent in history for this? This is making religion way more important than it actually was during the period.
Lol what? religion was far more important to the average Joe back then than now. In some societies it ruled everything one did or didn't do. And they still had places that would be considered as holy.