• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Imperator Dev Diary 07/12/20

Greetings all,

Today, we’ll be covering some additional mechanics coming in the Marius update, before we take a look at further mission trees coming as part of the Heirs of Alexander DLC.

Ports

As the astute amongst you have noticed, we’ve made several references to ‘upgrading’ port infrastructure in recent dev diaries and streams.

Prior to Marius, ports were seeded in numerous historical locations, but could never be altered, removed, or added during gameplay. As Imperator is a game where the ability to build your own civilization is paramount, it seemed natural that this behaviour should be reconsidered.

As part of Marius, shipyards will be a constructible building-type, which along with various local effects, will increase the port level of the territory in which they are built.

pasted image 0.png

Shipyards can be constructed in any coastally adjacent territory, which will have the graphical effect of creating a culturally appropriate port model in the coastal territory. For technical and design reasons, we’ve chosen not to allow the construction of shipyards in river provinces, unless there was a pre-seeded port already present (Pataliputra or Sais, for example).

The level of port in a territory will primarily dictate which ships it is able to construct; low level ports may only build and repair Light ships, for example.

Mega-polyremes will require a port level of 5, but are still gated behind the corresponding military tradition, though due to the tradition tree rework, this unlock can now be attained by any nation willing to invest into the traditions of the Greek Kingdoms.

You’ll be able to distinguish between port levels by map icon; two such examples at the beginning of the game are the port in Alexandria which begins at a higher level than surrounding territories:

pasted image 0 (1).png

Lastly, but not least - ports can now be removed or destroyed by removing shipyard buildings in the associated territory.This will evict any mercenary navies currently present, and destroy the port model.

Technology Feedback

Your response to the technology trees coming in 2.0 was overwhelming, and I feel we’re on an good course with these. This said, there was some excellent critique on the system, some of which we’ve had a chance to iterate on.

pasted image 0 (2).png

One of the most common opinions we saw, was that the tech tree background appeared bland. To address this, our talented artists have added a diagrammatic background (replete with authentic wine stains) to give some identity to the game view.

One additional and enduring piece of feedback we’ve had during testing, was the lack of contextual identification for inventions in the new system - how does the player know what each invention represents, and how can they easily locate what they’re aiming for in our larger tree structures?

We’ve added two ways to mitigate this concern.

Firstly, inventions now display their foremost modifier icon inside the UI element. This gives an at-a-glance indication of what you’re likely to receive once an invention is purchased. As our regular players will know, however, there are a significant number of modifiers and modifier types in Imperator - it can be tricky to mentally map all of these. Which leads us to the second improvement.

The search bar in the top right corner will highlight inventions that correspond to your search terms. This will parse both names and modifier strings:

pasted image 0 (3).png

(It goes without saying hopefully, that this highlight is WIP!)

In addition to these UI changes, some incidental balance changes have been made to the inventions system. Notably, while we do not wish for it to be possible to unlock all inventions in a single playthrough, the number available vs the number of innovations available were simply too far removed.

To mitigate this, we’ve decreased the expected years per technology from 20 years to 15 years - this reduces the ahead of time penalty accordingly, and should result in more frequent tech advances as time goes on.

Several modifiers previously tied to nation rank (particularly diplomatic relations) have been moved out of their associated rank modifier, and into the tech trees. I’ve never been entirely happy with the number of alliances and relations that were available from the beginning of the game - this addresses that concern, yet retains the ability to focus on this as a valid playstyle for players and AI, should their situation demand it.

pasted image 0 (4).png

As the above screenshot suggests, we have also added more keystone inventions, particularly those which might alter the playstyle of a nation. The wargoal referred to here is the one mentioned in our previous developer diary. Whilst powerful, it sits relatively far down the Oratory tree, as many of our more game-changing inventions tend to.

Before I hand over to @Bratyn, I'm aware that I promised unit model screenshots a week or two ago - due to some final polish on these, I can't show them off just yet - watch this space!

---------------

• 125Like
  • 60Love
Reactions:
The warscore system scales poorly for wars between massive powers and it's a lot easier in dev terms to just add a few special case wargoals which circumvent it than to rework the entire system. Not particularly "tidy" in conceptual terms but it certainly works.
Plz only on territory already neighbouring your land or coastal, cuz the mess that civil wars are would be horrible to see on a map

Lysimachus is, in my opinion, the most overlooked of all the Diadochs, in part because so little information about him is available. Delving into what historical evidence does exist has been an absolute pleasure, and my personal regard for his accomplishments has grown tremendously. I hope you will enjoy playing Thrace with these missions as much as I enjoyed researching and working on them. Playing Thrace is intended to be a challenge, but succeed and you’ll have experienced a hint of what it was to be Lysimachus!
I seem to recall that Lysimakos was rated by the other Diadochi as the first among them in terms of military strategy, skill etc - so they were very happy for him to be perpetually distracted / undermined by his problems "at home" with the Thracian tribes - that even Philip and Alexander hadn't convincingly subjugated.

Reactions:
You are right, let's ditch the infinite modifiers and let's use some discrete numbers to describe ports nature:
I hope the next big rework will be about trade and buildings, I love the idea of structuring it on 5 levels of upgrade, were lvl 1 is basic/settlement and lvl 5 is "probably unique and the best in the world".

• 5Like
Reactions:
You are right, let's ditch the infinite modifiers and let's use some discrete numbers to describe ports nature:

View attachment 660174

Port level 1:
Fishermen port
No boats construction allowed
Allows for some commerce and production
You can build it anywhere with a free building slot

Port Level 2:
City Port
Allows for trireme construction
Migration Attraction +0.10
Allows for internal commerce
You can only build it in cities

Port Level 3:
Big City Port
Allows for bigger ships construction
Pop Migration Speed +0.10
Ship Recruit Speed: +10.00%
Allows for international commerce
Local base trade routes +1,00%.
You can only build it in cities with access to deep waters and natural shelter

Port Level 4:
Metropolis Port
Allows for biggest ship construction
Migration Attraction +0.20
Pop Migration Speed +0.20
Ship Recruit Speed: +20.00%
Local base trade routes +2,00%.
You can only build it in metropolis with access to deep waters and natural shelter

Port Level 5:
Alexandria type of ultimate Port
Migration Attraction +0.30
Pop Migration Speed +0.30
Ship Recruit Speed: +30.00%
Local base trade routes +3,00%.
Something else, unique for this type of Port
You can only build it in metropolis with access to deep waters, natural shelter and something else requirement (like provincial capital)

No more Ports can be build beyond Port level 5. @religiousphanatic won't be able to create Singapore in Calabria

EDITED: added natural shelter for ports 3 to 5 after viewing @Lord Lambert video.
I really like this system. It helps to feel like you are building up your civilization more. Here is hoping the devs take notice :)

Reactions:
@Arheo This is a great DD and I'm really into the new Ports overhaul. In this regard I just have a some questions:

1) Do the Ports use one of the building slots available or it works as a sort of special building parallel to that grid?

2) Do Ports have a Trade impact or is just limited to ship building?

And since we're talking about buildings...

3) Is there any plans to overhaul the building system with culture specific options?

4) Is it feasible to have buildings by tiers instead of numeral correlatives of the same thing? (e.g. channel-cistern-latrines-aqueduct-bath instead of 25 aqueducts).

Keep on the great work, 2.0 is looking amazing.

View attachment 660174

Port level 1:
Fishermen port
No boats construction allowed
Allows for some commerce and production
You can build it anywhere with a free building slot

Port Level 2:
City Port
Allows for trireme construction
Allows for internal commerce
You can only build it in cities

Port Level 3:
Big City Port
Allows for bigger ships construction
Pop Migration Speed +0.10
Ship Recruit Speed: +10.00%
Local base trade routes +1,00%.
You can only build it in cities with access to deep waters and natural shelter

Port Level 4:
Metropolis Port
Migration Attraction +0.20
Pop Migration Speed +0.20
Ship Recruit Speed: +20.00%
Local base trade routes +2,00%.
You can only build it in metropolis with access to deep waters and natural shelter

Port Level 5:
Alexandria type of ultimate Port
Migration Attraction +0.30
Pop Migration Speed +0.30
Ship Recruit Speed: +30.00%
Local base trade routes +3,00%.
Something else, unique for this type of Port
You can only build it in metropolis with access to deep waters, natural shelter and something else requirement (like provincial capital)

No more Ports can be build beyond Port level 5. @religiousphanatic won't be able to create Singapore in Calabria

EDITED: added natural shelter for ports 3 to 5 after viewing @Lord Lambert video.
I'm just replying to this to repost it, as I think it's a very good idea for a future port (and trade?) rework, and kinda sets a good premise for future building reworks too.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I like the Idea of the new Port system. But as others have already mentioned the number of ports in a provinces and port level should be limited.
Locations for high lvl ports should be rare or only artificially made possible by creating a provincial capitol Metropolis.

A shortage of these Locations could lead to more reasons for a good war. ;-)

• 6Like
Reactions:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
This looks really cool. I had a great game with using mounted archers from imported steppe horses as the Lysimachaid Kingdom (or however its spellt) and I look forward to more good times with this. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm super hyped for upgradable ports! Great job, I love the immense ambition of 2.0!
While I'm totally fine with them buing buildable everywhere, a small limitation would have also been fine (but not as limited as in vanilla)

Reactions:
From the first screen, can settlements have more than 1 building now or it's just the UI that's similar to the city?

What I've seen from other screenshots settlements are still limited to one building, but the building UI is now more similar to the one of the cities.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am taking a break from Imperator. Got hooked on Stellaris and have been binge-playing a lot... the expansions really make the game addicting. Will keep an eye on Imperator though bc these changes all look very promising!

Can we not? I much prefer the way they look now, sans arches.
The arcs themselves are a matter of taste, but the new design is worse.

White statues on white background makes them more blurry than the old version.

This could be solved by either:
  • Keeping the arcs (or niches) with shadows behind the statues as @Marcus Pica suggests.
  • make the statues coloured and keep the background white
  • add a textured background as in the new tech window.
If you don’t want to the old style, what other solution would you prefer?

• 3Like
Reactions:
The arcs themselves are a matter of taste, but the new design is worse.

White statues on white background makes them more blurry than the old version.

This could be solved by either:
  • Keeping the arcs (or niches) with shadows behind the statues as @Marcus Pica suggests.
  • make the statues coloured and keep the background white
  • add a textured background as in the new tech window.
If you don’t want to the old style, what other solution would you prefer?

I would like to see your last solution. I like the arcs too and first I wanted them back, but it seems to me that without the arcs the missions use less space and therefore the missions tab has an better overview, which I prefer a bit more than having the arcs, but a worse overview. If there would be a solution to improve the overview and reimplement the arcs than I would prefer that.

Reactions:
I think it is becoming too complicated the issue of ports, I suggest:

- Already built, aka Old ports, keep on it!
- New Port Require a territory to be on the coast. ( so you can build one)
- An idea is that not ANY coast should provide acces to a port, that is the territory require to have a natural feature, " Can build port here "
- There should be some River possible ports also, in pre seleted territories.

- So in that therritories you can upgrade the Ports to have shipyards and so on.

Hope it helps.