• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HoI4 DevDiary: No Step Back Achievements

Hello, and welcome back to another Dev Diary for Hearts of Iron 4. As we close in on wrapping up this major operation, code-named Barbarossa, before winter falls (the first snow fell in Stockholm this weekend, I am sure it’ll be fine), today we will talk about the new achievements that will be added with the release of No Step Back.

As far as the process is concerned, we usually have an open list of achievement suggestions during the whole DLC development cycle. Near the end of the cycle, we take a vote on what achievements we want to see in the game (after eliminating any that would be technically impossible) and start the process of implementing them and ordering art.

For No Step Back, we started with a list of 49 suggestions, and whittled it down to 20 Achievements:

at_least_they_run_on_time.png

At least they run on time!: As fascist Italy, have max level railways in all your core states

not_much_fun_in_stalingrad.png

Not much fun in Stalingrad
: As Germany, capitulate the Soviet Union without taking Stalingrad

no_more_partitions.png

No more Partitions: As Poland, be independent and ensure that both Germany and the USSR are either in your faction or don’t exist

habsburgs_habsburgs_everywhere.png

Habsburgs. Habsburgs everywhere: As Poland, install a Habsburg monarch and be in a faction with another Habsburg monarch.

the_pope_how_many_divisions_does_he_have.png

The Pope? How many Divisions does he have?: As the USSR, take Rome.

this_is_going_to_be_LIT.png

This is going to be LIT: As Lithuania, hold the capitals of all of your neighbours

it_has_my_name_on_it.png

It has my name on it: As any Baltic State, conquer the entire shoreline of the Baltic Sea

this _achievement_is_cheesy.png

This Achievement is Cheesy: As Latvia, form Ostland and occupy Vasterbotten. (n.b.: Vasterbotten is located in Lappland State)

esti_is_scandi.png

Esti is Scandi: As Estonia, secure Scandinavia (n.b.: Every state in Scandinavia needs to be controlled by Estonia or a Subject of Estonia)

not_a_step_back.png

Not a step back!: As the Soviet Union never lose 1 core territory to anyone before 1945

one_step_forward.png

One Step Forward: As the Soviet Union, declare war on Poland and Germany before Germany attacks Poland.

the_soviet_onion.png

The Soviet Onion: As the Soviet Union, have only puppets as neighbors

crusader_kings_III.png

Crusader Kings III: As Poland, crown a Monarch and capture Jerusalem

the_romanovs_laugh_last.png

The Romanovs laugh last: Restore the Romanovs to the throne and conquer Germany, Hungary, Austria, Czechoslovakia,Turkey, and Bulgaria.

we_dont_really_like_statistics.png

We don’t really like statistics: As the Soviet Union under Stalin, conquer Germany while suffering less than 1 million casualties total

race_for_germany.png

Race for Germany: As the Soviet Union, capitulate Germany after the Fall of France but before the Allies control one German core state

siberian_tiger.png

Siberian Tiger: As Tannu Tuva, form Siberia

just_proper_gander.png

Just proper gander: As the Soviet Union, activate 30 propaganda campaigns before 1945.

around_eurasia_in_80_days.png

Around Eurasia in 80 days: Have a railroad from Gibraltar to Singapore

poland_peasant_revolution.png

Poland Peasant Revolution: As Poland, have the Peasant’s Strike overthrow the government.

That's all from us today! Next week, you will get the Patchnotes for 1.11 Barbarossa (unless we are thrown out of position by a sudden enemy counter-attack).

• 121Like
  • 26Love
  • 12Haha
Reactions:
It looks like a few of these achievements might have been inspired by this April 2021 thread.

Here's some good ones from that thread that would have been great additions to the upcoming patch:

- The Romeanovs: As Imperial Russia, own Moscow, Rome and Istanbul
- The Khalkhin Goal: playing as Soviets, put Kerensky in power and own all Japanese cores
- Our Clothes are Fine!: As Germany, capture Moscow before December 31 1941
- Empire of the East : Form the Kingdom of Poland-Romania and annex Bulgaria ,the Baltic states and the Soviet Union.
- My Warsaw Pact is better than yours: As communist Poland Puppet all countries that were members of the Warsaw pact.
- Thomas the Tank Engineer: as the US, have Thomas E. Dewey as president and produce a custom tank with all slots filled.
- All Aboard the Hype Train: as a country with a generic focus tree, research all train-related tech before the end of 1945.
- Barbarossa...?: as Turkey, perform a naval invasion of Germany.
- Molotovn't-Ribbaintrop: as Germany, go straight for the USSR without declaring any other wars first.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
It looks like a few of these achievements might have been inspired by this April 2021 thread.

Here's a some good ones from that thread that I think would have been great additions to the upcoming patch:

- The Romeanovs: As Imperial Russia, own Moscow, Rome and Istanbul
- The Khalkhin Goal: playing as Soviets, put Kerensky in power and own all Japanese cores
- Our Clothes are Fine!: As Germany, capture Moscow before December 31 1941
- Empire of the East : Form the Kingdom of Poland-Romania and annex Bulgaria ,the Baltic states and the Soviet Union.
- My Warsaw Pact it better than yours: As communist Poland Puppet all countries that were members of the Warsaw pact.
- Thomas the Tank Engineer: as the US, have Thomas E. Dewey as president and produce a custom tank with all slots filled.
- All Aboard the Hype Train: as a country with a generic focus tree, research all train-related tech before the end of 1945.
- Barbarossa...?: as Turkey, perform a naval invasion of Germany.
- Molotovn't-Ribbaintrop: as Germany, go straight for the USSR without declaring any other wars first.
Alas, no Blue path for USSR... and "Our Clothes are Fine!" appears to be darker than the rest of the names? Or is that just an optical illusion?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I do like the looks and sound of a lot of these achievements. My only quibble is that the "At least they run on time" achievement could've been named "Von Ryan's Express" in reference to that classic movie.

Reactions:
I'm not gonna lie. I am very disappointed we have an achievement for Italy having max trains. But nothing even touches on the fact that Japan is considered the train capital of the world. Maybe something like " As Japan, Build max train infrastructure throughout Asia, Europe, Africa, South America, and North America" I imagine it'd be called something cheesy like "Empire of the Rising Trains" Would also be fun to have an excuse to go back and do a world conquest as Japan again.

Would've also loved it if we got an Achievement for Railguns. Something like " As Germany, Border the Soviet Union and Declare war on them while having one railgun for every state you border them with" I wish the name would just be something like " Skewer Gustav's"

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
- My Warsaw Pact it better than yours: As communist Poland Puppet all countries that were members of the Warsaw pact.
Those were my ideas. :) 7 months has gone quick.
and I've only just noticed my spelling mistake. My Warsaw pact is better than yours, not it better.

• 3Like
Reactions:
However I am slightly dissapointed there is only 1 achievement which is country independent.

• 1Like
Reactions:
"This is going to be LIT" looks like a specialty of the Lithuanian-Polish Commonwealth.

Start by crowning Mindaugas III for that extra monarchist flayva.

Edit to add: bonus points to parlay that into "It has my name on it," since you've gone about halfway there by forming the LPC and taking out Germany for "This is going to be LIT."

Hello, and welcome back to another Dev Diary for Hearts of Iron 4. As we close in on wrapping up this major operation, code-named Barbarossa, before winter falls (the first snow fell in Stockholm this weekend, I am sure it’ll be fine), today we will talk about the new achievements that will be added with the release of No Step Back.

As far as the process is concerned, we usually have an open list of achievement suggestions during the whole DLC development cycle. Near the end of the cycle, we take a vote on what achievements we want to see in the game (after eliminating any that would be technically impossible) and start the process of implementing them and ordering art.

For No Step Back, we started with a list of 49 suggestions, and whittled it down to 20 Achievements:

View attachment 771636
At least they run on time!: As fascist Italy, have max level railways in all your core states

View attachment 771637
Not much fun in Stalingrad
: As Germany, capitulate the Soviet Union without taking Stalingrad

View attachment 771638
No more Partitions: As Poland, be independent and ensure that both Germany and the USSR are either in your faction or don’t exist

View attachment 771639
Habsburgs. Habsburgs everywhere: As Poland, install a Habsburg monarch and be in a faction with another Habsburg monarch.

View attachment 771640
The Pope? How many Divisions does he have?: As the USSR, take Rome.

View attachment 771641
This is going to be LIT: As Lithuania, hold the capitals of all of your neighbours

View attachment 771642
It has my name on it: As any Baltic State, conquer the entire shoreline of the Baltic Sea

View attachment 771643
This Achievement is Cheesy: As Latvia, form Ostland and occupy Vasterbotten. (n.b.: Vasterbotten is located in Lappland State)

View attachment 771644
Esti is Scandi: As Estonia, secure Scandinavia (n.b.: Every state in Scandinavia needs to be controlled by Estonia or a Subject of Estonia)

View attachment 771645
Not a step back!: As the Soviet Union never lose 1 core territory to anyone before 1945

View attachment 771646
One Step Forward: As the Soviet Union, declare war on Poland and Germany before Germany attacks Poland.

View attachment 771647
The Soviet Onion: As the Soviet Union, have only puppets as neighbors

View attachment 771648
Crusader Kings III: As Poland, crown a Monarch and capture Jerusalem

View attachment 771649
The Romanovs laugh last: Restore the Romanovs to the throne and conquer Germany, Hungary, Austria, Czechoslovakia,Turkey, and Bulgaria.

View attachment 771650
We don’t really like statistics: As the Soviet Union under Stalin, conquer Germany while suffering less than 1 million casualties total

View attachment 771651
Race for Germany: As the Soviet Union, capitulate Germany after the Fall of France but before the Allies control one German core state

View attachment 771652
Siberian Tiger: As Tannu Tuva, form Siberia

View attachment 771653
Just proper gander: As the Soviet Union, activate 30 propaganda campaigns before 1945.

View attachment 771654
Around Eurasia in 80 days: Have a railroad from Gibraltar to Singapore

View attachment 771655
Poland Peasant Revolution: As Poland, have the Peasant’s Strike overthrow the government.

That's all from us today! Next week, you will get the Patchnotes for 1.11 Barbarossa (unless we are thrown out of position by a sudden enemy counter-attack).
How about a new achievement named "The Forgotten One" - "Play 100 hours as Italy to show the devs Italy still needs a focus tree ;)"

• 4Haha
Reactions:
The Steam description for the Stalingrad achievement is wrong. It shows the same text as the Italian one.
ach.png

• 6Haha
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: