• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hoi4 Dev Diary - Telemetry and data

Hello there, the time has come to do a fun dive into what you've been playing the game as a community. So over this diary we are going to look into some of the trends and statistics we seen from our telemetry and see how we use it to gain insights in current player trends when working on HOI4. The wonderful data team have been working to get us all the information we wanted and I hope you enjoy seeing some of their great work. As a forward point, as with any data collection we do not store any personal information or anything that can used to identify players in accordance with GDPR.

So first of we will start with something fun, can you guess what this graph is telling us.
1645107087765.png

If you guessed this was us spotting the continuous naval production focus exploit being discovered you get a gold star, although it seems some of you are still very much into using the focus.

With telemetry we can work to understand our players by seeing how you play and this lets us form an experience players will enjoy. we see this in many ways, for example we can see by player difficulty settings players really shy away from the harder difficulties.
1645107138178.png

We can also see how players are reacting to new content, here we can see the soviet union and Poland grow and maintain solid new highs in terms of sessions played. Germany still remains you favourite major to play, and for those of you that like playing minors the PRC seems to be the country to go for.
1645107317495.png

Now lets get into some more specific game related data, player play behavior's are something that always interesting to know. You might think you know what most players are doing from discussions on various discussion platforms, streams and videos, however what's even better is knowing for sure what the meta and average player does.

For example many people really need to check their infantry equipment stockpile late game
1645106739776.png

Seriously players really enjoy making infantry equipment 3
1645106760437.png
Alright that's allot of graphs, and we know graphs are not how we get views, so lets take tried and trusted top 5's for spin.

We will start with rapid fire round of nukes so.

Top 5 target nations:
  1. Germany
  2. Soviet union
  3. Japan
  4. USA
  5. England
Top 10 Target provinces:
  1. Tokyo
  2. London
  3. Berlin
  4. Hiroshima
  5. Moscow
  6. Nagasaki
  7. Washington
  8. Osaka
  9. Nagoya
  10. Paris
Top 5 countries nuking:
  1. Germany
  2. Soviet union
  3. USA
  4. England
  5. Italy
As we can see players are really not very imaginative with their nuke targets or they share a strange wish to nuke all the same places. Please also let me know why you really like nuking Paris in the comments below.

We can now take a trip over to something newer, its that new shiny toy the tank designer. I must say if there was a meta with tank design someone forgot to tell players because the only consistent design trend has been making cheap flame tanks.

So here we have your favourite modules for each category over the last month
MODULE_TYPEMODULE_NAME
ARMORtank_welded_armor
CHASSIShv2
ENGINEtank_gasoline_engine
GUNtank_small_cannon_2
SUSPENSIONtank_christie_suspension
TURRETtank_medium_three_man_tank_turret
extra_moduleadditional_machine_guns
extra_modulewet_ammo_storage
extra_moduletank_radio_1
extra_modulesloped_armor

How about your favorite Tank role designs, featuring some monster MBT design that players love.
ROLECHASSISGUNTURRETSUSPENSIONARMORENGINEMODULE1MODULE2MODULE3MODULE4ENGINE_UPGRADEARMOR_UPGRADE
mmbt0hc3mbttorcasdierad3smokeasyslop2020
mlt2csl2mchrrivgasrad1---------32
mlt2sc2l2mchrwelgasrad1---------102
mmt2mh1m3mbogrivdierad2tsctscmg64
mlt2ac1l2mchrcasgasrad1---------32
mlt2csl3mchrrivgasmgmgmgmg90
mlt2sc2l2mchrrivgasrad1---------32
mlt2csl3mchrwelgasrad1---------102
mlt2ac1l2mchrwelgasrad1---------32
mlt2fltl2mchrrivgasrad1---------32

You guys also have some erm "interesting" collective opinions when it comes to amphibious tanks.
ROLECHASSISGUNTURRETSUSPENSIONARMORENGINEMODULE1MODULE2MODULE3MODULE4ENGINE_UPGRADEARMOR_UPGRADE
ammt3mc2m2mchrcasturrad3amphweteasy200
ammt2mc2m3mintwelgasrad3mgmgamph60
ammt3mc2m3mtorcasturmgslopamphrad3110
ammt3mc2m3mchrwelgasrad3slopamphmg99
amhv3hv3h3mchrcasturrad3amphslopsque2020
amhv3hc2h3mintwelgasrad3slopsmokamph88
ammt3hv2m3mtorwelgasrad3slopsmokamph56
ammt3mh2m3mchrcasturrad3easywetamph200
ammt2mc2m3mbogrivgasrad3mgmgamph60
ammt3mc2m2mtorweldieweteasyamphrad31510

We have also seen that about 10% of you and only about 4% of total designs are made with auto design, this is something that reinforces our desire to improve this element of the designers.
1645106778449.png

Alright lets get into some more gritty details. first off we have been seeing how player designs have been changing since release in response to changes in patches and the design meta developing.
1645106789765.png

1645106795449.png

1645106800452.png

Next up lets see how you've been using those handy preferred tactics, it neck and neck over what players think is the best one for the army.
1645106830179.png

But you have a clear favourite for generals.
1645106844393.png

But what about all those new focus trees, well lets take a look at how you traverse focus trees. here we look at what exclusive choices you are making when playing with the new focus trees. As a community players will always trend toward the path that lets them expand and be independent so most of the breakdowns are as expected. however its also very useful to know what specific choices players make within these paths.

sov_focus_selection.jpeg

pol_focus_selection.jpeg

lit_focus_selection.jpeg

lat_focus_selection.jpeg

est_focus_selection.jpeg

axis_allies_baltic_focus.jpeg

sov_industry_focus.jpeg

Construction now, when to switch to MIL's from CIV's is always an topic for debate. as we can see though the change happens on average quite early with the first year averaging at 13.17 CIV's built. This is consistent over most majors outside SOV, with many being much more extreme than the average.
1645106861728.png

Additionally you always need more railways and infrastructure.
1645106873810.png

Finally I'll bring us to Division meta. this might be surprising but meta divisions while definitely popular, are not as ubiquitous as online discussion would have you believe.
1645106884415.png
As you can see we have the usual suspects of the 10-0's, 7-2's and 14-4's but they are nowhere near dominant in the average game.
The situation becomes even less unified once we take support companies into account
1645106896799.png

That wraps it up for this Dev Diary, If you have anything specific you're interested in from this brief overview let me know and maybe we can do a deep dive in future.

• 52Like
  • 8Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
About Infantry Equipment 3:
-Unfinished tech-tree, most of the tech tree brands end between 1943-1945
-Bad trade system, unless you close the economy a lot of resources go the drain cause you can't buy your own excess, so you can't asign a lot of factories to more resource expensive equipment.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Another plausible explanation for so few people using the auto designer could simply be that the button is incredibly tiny, and not very intuitive.

Personally I think the auto designer is a great idea, both for new players and when you just want get something decent/semi-historical out instead of getting into the nitty gritty.
Possibly, but everyone I've talked to just don't care to use it period, because they like designing stuff themselves, and tweaking their designs as needed. Which is a good thing if you ask me. It shows they mechanics that go into Tank and Naval stats mean something, and that, while metas still exist, they are not absolute when it comes to designing.

Taking the time to reprogram the auto-designer just seems like wasted effort to me when there could be much better solution of just "let a play load a base-template they created in a past game, then have them edit it from there."

• 1Like
Reactions:
How precisely is the data taken? I can almost feel it's not random sampling.

What is the data used for? Especially since favourite country is for example not an independent variable isn't it?

Reactions:
Another plausible explanation for so few people using the auto designer could simply be that the button is incredibly tiny, and not very intuitive.

What?

There's an auto-designer button?

?

Thanks much for pointing that out.

I'm serious (not being sarcastic).

I've been playing this game for 1000s of hours and did not realize that there is an auto designer button.

(I agree with the statement, "so few people using the auto designer could simply be that the button is incredibly tiny, and not very intuitive." )

• 5Like
Reactions:
I believe (at least for the Naval Designer, I haven't really looked at the Tank Designer) the auto-design button just creates whatever the AI would in that situation, checking the files in the ai_equipment folder. So if you work on improving the AI's ship and tank designs, it should have the effect of also improving the auto design button.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I've used the auto designer for ships and tanks quite a bit, probably more so than I bothered to design stuff myself. But then again I am a pretty casual HoI4 player, don't really know the meta for designing ships and tanks so I don't even know if my designs were better than the auto design stuff.

Reactions:
Interesting data, for sure.

However, I wouldn't read much into it. From the first graph alone (the difficulty), it is easy to see that a sizeable amount of data comes from inexperienced or occasional players, who have no idea of what's even going on. All of the data below that support this claim, especially the division design.

I would honestly prefer it, if you would filter out all data from "easy" or "very easy" campains. Then perhaps we could see how the hivemind has reacted to the NSB changes.
This is what I don't like about the super hardcore players. They think the game is only for them and any info about it should concentrate on their likes/dislikes. The vast majority of players are not about hard or very hard, they are not bean counters and want to play for fun. I have been playing Paradox games since EUI and HOI is my favorite game. I play to enjoy myself, not spend my effort on min/max or struggle on higher difficulty, normal is good enough for me. I gave to admit I would llike to chase acchievements, but I am too laxs and can't be bothered by ironman. If they presented a subset for Herrr B in the data, fine, but don't sneer at the majority of players that don't follow in his footsteps.

As to data collection, it is my understanding that they are not collecting any personally identifiable information about the players, so why should I care. It is a tool to help make decisions about the game and that can't be bad. Also, if I understand correctly, EU has very strict laws about collection and use of personal information.

• 14Like
Reactions:
I actually find it creepy and don't like this type of detailed monitoring of gameplay at all. I'm a relatively private person and don't like the thought that everything I do in the game is being monitored and reported. However, I am open minded and may be over-reacting. So I would be interested in what other people think about this - Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with this kind of detailed monitoring?

It's perfectly normal and helps them to understand how the game is being used and hopefully to focus on things that help the player base (maybe even better tutorials!)

The data is usually aggregated so it's not like people are sitting there looking at your exact play style and judging you.

With achievements in game the tracking gets broadcast to everybody. (or am I the only person who looks at achievement percentages to see where most players drop out the game?)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I actually find it creepy and don't like this type of detailed monitoring of gameplay at all. I'm a relatively private person and don't like the thought that everything I do in the game is being monitored and reported. However, I am open minded and may be over-reacting. So I would be interested in what other people think about this - Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with this kind of detailed monitoring?
I disagree with the interpretation that this is detailed monitoring. Everything that everyone-in-aggregate does is being monitored. Everything that any individual player is doing is unknowable by law-enforced design. It'd be another matter if the playerbase was so tiny that you could pin point individuals with certain filters, but HoI has sufficient statistics that my privacy concerns are not triggered.

It's like a journalist aboard helicopter flying over a crowd. They don't focus on any one face, they only make observations about what the crowd as a whole is up to.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I believe (at least for the Naval Designer, I haven't really looked at the Tank Designer) the auto-design button just creates whatever the AI would in that situation, checking the files in the ai_equipment folder. So if you work on improving the AI's ship and tank designs, it should have the effect of also improving the auto design button.
(Warning: attempt at humor)

I've not seen this "auto-designer" you speak of.

You know, according to a Gallup poll in America, 40% of people explain certain sightings as being alien aircraft. You know, little green men in flying saucers.

1645651070279.png

This discussion about, "oh yeah. I've seen the the automatic designer. I've even used it."

Hmmm.

Some folks also claim to have been abducted by extraterrestrials (the First Episode of the popular documentary, "South Park" explores this phenomenon).

I'm not saying that the auto-design button does not exist.

I'm just saying that I've personally never experienced the auto-design button.

• 8Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This is what I don't like about the super hardcore players. They think the game is only for them and any info about it should concentrate on their likes/dislikes. The vast majority of players are not about hard or very hard, they are not bean counters and want to play for fun. I have been playing Paradox games since EUI and HOI is my favorite game. I play to enjoy myself, not spend my effort on min/max or struggle on higher difficulty, normal is good enough for me. I gave to admit I would llike to chase acchievements, but I am too laxs and can't be bothered by ironman. If they presented a subset for Herrr B in the data, fine, but don't sneer at the majority of players that don't follow in his footsteps.

As to data collection, it is my understanding that they are not collecting any personally identifiable information about the players, so why should I care. It is a tool to help make decisions about the game and that can't be bad. Also, if I understand correctly, EU has very strict laws about collection and use of personal information.
Time to clear up some misconceptions.

First off all, I'm not a super hardcore player, at least not in my understanding. Most of my games are played on regular, only on Germany or the Soviets I consider switching to hard. Most of the time it doesn't matter, because I'm playing a total overhaul mod, invalidating any comparison.

Second, it was not my intention to tailor the game around the hard cores players. I surely want a complex game, but that is a very different thing from a hard game. My main concern with the game (and with any PDX game) is historic plausibility, and that's it.

Third, yes, the EU has strict laws on collecting personal information. I am, in fact, an EU citizen and support this idea very much. But if you read my first post carefully, I didn't write to filter out "players" on easy or very easy, but "campains". Which is obviously possible as Paradox already collects data about the difficulty of the campain. The reason for that is not arrogance, but the simple acceptance of the fact, that HOI4 (like every PDX game) has a learning curve. No master just fell from heaven, this is the most normal thing in the world. But to answer a question like "what is my favourite / most used division template" I first and foremost need to know how to design one in the first place. To say that 9inf is the most commonly used is not an information at all, for me at least, because that just means, that a sizeable amount of playes don't know how to change a template.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Not surprised to see that only 4% of soviet players pick the right opposition: it's still buggy, broken, and in need of serious balance tweaks.. as is the left opposition. Seriously, the whole Soviet tree still feels like a beta.

The amount of serious bugs and balance issues across the focus trees keeps growing and growing with each new DLC. There seriously needs to be polishing done

This topic is usually at the forefront when we talk data, and it is understandably something that people tend to be suspicious of - often for good reason. I'll avoid weighing in on what I feel is right or wrong, but I'll point out some facts so that if the discussion continues, we're all on the same page:

• Telemetry data is aggregated - while we can of course look at certain subsets, those subsets are limited by what data we collect
  • Telemetry data is anonymized - we collect no personally identifiable information on our users*
  • We use this data to inform what we do. This can range from what we focus an expansion on, to detailed tank module balance. If something sticks out in the aggregated data, there is usually a reason.
  • We do not use this data to market things to you in the same way that, for example, [your legally distinct social media website] might suddenly display a bunch of adverts relating to [your legally distinct brand of hard boiled eggs] simply because you mentioned how much you wanted an egg within speaking distance of [your legally distinct brand of mobile telephone]. (Because of the point above, we could not do this even if we wanted to. Which we do not. It's a line I have no intention of crossing.)

*For non-EU fans, it might be interesting to know that the regulations around this are very strict here. We do not treat our users within and without the EU any differently.

• 25Like
Reactions:
I wouldn't jump to conclusions on this. 21% of people just use 9-0 pure infantry, the starting template for many nations. To me that says many players find division design uninteresting/unimportant and ignore the system. It works out because 18w is at least decent in most terrains, but I don't think it's some great achievement that there's no meta division on top. I'd be interested to see the division type breakdown by difficulty in single player. SP vs MP would be an interesting comparison as well.
Yeah, this was my impression as well. Seeing that the most popular template in the game is the default template for the most popular countries tells me that about 20% of players either don't know how or don't care enough about changing their templates. 6 infantry is also up there on the list, which I think is Italy, the UK, and France's colonial garrison template, as well as China's main template.

I don't know if this data is gathered (and I'm guessing it would be illegal since it would require identifying specific players), but it would be interesting to see how many hours the average player has spent in the game. How many of the campaigns are by players who just installed the game and are trying it out without knowing what they're doing vs how many players have played more than one game, vs how many players have played many campaigns and are starting to understand the game.

In some games you can look at achievement stats on Steam to see how many people get the "you played the game once" achievements but in HoI4 so many people play with mods or without ironman, and the most hardcore min-maxers mostly play multiplayer so you can't really rely on achievement stats to get an educated guess.

• 1Like
Reactions:
To be honest, Me and my freinds dont play the new dlc anymore, and we wont buy the new dlcs once they come out because we hate the new supply system, it doesnt work for us and it if frustrating if you cant use it. At the moment we just play on 10.5 again and we dont really miss the new focous trees and tank designer
It’s a pitty to read this. Yes version 1.11.7 still got a lot of issues. But the supply system (which got some “strange” things which some people call a bug… I say… the supply flow is strange/need some love) is very nice and more than playable if you know how. You can’t put 40w tanks or inf at the front and expect to have a perfect supply. But if you do it right ( 18/20/21/27 W for example) and built up you railway to level 3 ( for example) then you would be more than fine and NSB is really a very fun dlc with the best challenge I had since I begon playing hoi4.

to my believe you and your friends need to learn more on the supply system and there are some good YouTubes out there! Go and see and have fun!

For pdx/dev team: thanks for the overview. Really interesting but I miss info on ironman mode yes/no, using cheat codes and modding.

to my believe not a lot of people play on ironman mode and to my believe a big amount of players use a mod (to overcome many thing) or adjust the game via cheat code.

would be interesting to see these info.

• 1Like
Reactions:
and for those of you that like playing minors the PRC seems to be the country to go for.
That might have been the eighty trillion games I played trying to get the Mao achievement, only for AI and factions to ruin it for me.
Please also let me know why you really like nuking Paris in the comments below.
Again, achievements. This is one I've never gotten close to, because the factions make the game unplayable before the USA can even join the war.

Now that we're getting Dev Diaries again, it's safe to assume another update/DLC is in the works... which means it's once again time for me to spam my suggested faction fix every week!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah, this was my impression as well. Seeing that the most popular template in the game is the default template for the most popular countries tells me that about 20% of players either don't know how or don't care enough about changing their templates. 6 infantry is also up there on the list, which I think is Italy, the UK, and France's colonial garrison template, as well as China's main template.
The default template would just work fine. But if many people use those default templates they are really missing how easy a game on normal ironman mode would be if you just “design” your template a bit.

I don’t have “for every terrain a different template” but I change my template and got about 4 or 5 to choose from (depending my material resource like guns,art etc) and I am not a min/max person. Templates are just a part of the fun .

Last edited:
This telemetry data is great- thanks for sharing. I'm probably dreaming, but I'd love to see a simplified version of this in my Career Profile. Things like:
  • What are my most played nations? What are my least played nations?
  • Which factions have I joined most often? Axis, Allies, Comintern, Co-Prosperity Sphere, or make my own?
  • How often have I played as a Democratic, Communist, Monarchist, etc?
  • When I play the USSR, what % of the time have I gone Center, Left, Right, or Tsarist?
  • What are my top division templates, as well as specific to each nation?

Probably not worth the time to code this up, but I would find the Career Profile a lot more interesting if it had this kind of personalized details.

• 2Like
Reactions: