• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hoi4 Dev Diary - Telemetry and data

Hello there, the time has come to do a fun dive into what you've been playing the game as a community. So over this diary we are going to look into some of the trends and statistics we seen from our telemetry and see how we use it to gain insights in current player trends when working on HOI4. The wonderful data team have been working to get us all the information we wanted and I hope you enjoy seeing some of their great work. As a forward point, as with any data collection we do not store any personal information or anything that can used to identify players in accordance with GDPR.

So first of we will start with something fun, can you guess what this graph is telling us.
1645107087765.png

If you guessed this was us spotting the continuous naval production focus exploit being discovered you get a gold star, although it seems some of you are still very much into using the focus.

With telemetry we can work to understand our players by seeing how you play and this lets us form an experience players will enjoy. we see this in many ways, for example we can see by player difficulty settings players really shy away from the harder difficulties.
1645107138178.png

We can also see how players are reacting to new content, here we can see the soviet union and Poland grow and maintain solid new highs in terms of sessions played. Germany still remains you favourite major to play, and for those of you that like playing minors the PRC seems to be the country to go for.
1645107317495.png

Now lets get into some more specific game related data, player play behavior's are something that always interesting to know. You might think you know what most players are doing from discussions on various discussion platforms, streams and videos, however what's even better is knowing for sure what the meta and average player does.

For example many people really need to check their infantry equipment stockpile late game
1645106739776.png

Seriously players really enjoy making infantry equipment 3
1645106760437.png
Alright that's allot of graphs, and we know graphs are not how we get views, so lets take tried and trusted top 5's for spin.

We will start with rapid fire round of nukes so.

Top 5 target nations:
  1. Germany
  2. Soviet union
  3. Japan
  4. USA
  5. England
Top 10 Target provinces:
  1. Tokyo
  2. London
  3. Berlin
  4. Hiroshima
  5. Moscow
  6. Nagasaki
  7. Washington
  8. Osaka
  9. Nagoya
  10. Paris
Top 5 countries nuking:
  1. Germany
  2. Soviet union
  3. USA
  4. England
  5. Italy
As we can see players are really not very imaginative with their nuke targets or they share a strange wish to nuke all the same places. Please also let me know why you really like nuking Paris in the comments below.

We can now take a trip over to something newer, its that new shiny toy the tank designer. I must say if there was a meta with tank design someone forgot to tell players because the only consistent design trend has been making cheap flame tanks.

So here we have your favourite modules for each category over the last month
MODULE_TYPEMODULE_NAME
ARMORtank_welded_armor
CHASSIShv2
ENGINEtank_gasoline_engine
GUNtank_small_cannon_2
SUSPENSIONtank_christie_suspension
TURRETtank_medium_three_man_tank_turret
extra_moduleadditional_machine_guns
extra_modulewet_ammo_storage
extra_moduletank_radio_1
extra_modulesloped_armor

How about your favorite Tank role designs, featuring some monster MBT design that players love.
ROLECHASSISGUNTURRETSUSPENSIONARMORENGINEMODULE1MODULE2MODULE3MODULE4ENGINE_UPGRADEARMOR_UPGRADE
mmbt0hc3mbttorcasdierad3smokeasyslop2020
mlt2csl2mchrrivgasrad1---------32
mlt2sc2l2mchrwelgasrad1---------102
mmt2mh1m3mbogrivdierad2tsctscmg64
mlt2ac1l2mchrcasgasrad1---------32
mlt2csl3mchrrivgasmgmgmgmg90
mlt2sc2l2mchrrivgasrad1---------32
mlt2csl3mchrwelgasrad1---------102
mlt2ac1l2mchrwelgasrad1---------32
mlt2fltl2mchrrivgasrad1---------32

You guys also have some erm "interesting" collective opinions when it comes to amphibious tanks.
ROLECHASSISGUNTURRETSUSPENSIONARMORENGINEMODULE1MODULE2MODULE3MODULE4ENGINE_UPGRADEARMOR_UPGRADE
ammt3mc2m2mchrcasturrad3amphweteasy200
ammt2mc2m3mintwelgasrad3mgmgamph60
ammt3mc2m3mtorcasturmgslopamphrad3110
ammt3mc2m3mchrwelgasrad3slopamphmg99
amhv3hv3h3mchrcasturrad3amphslopsque2020
amhv3hc2h3mintwelgasrad3slopsmokamph88
ammt3hv2m3mtorwelgasrad3slopsmokamph56
ammt3mh2m3mchrcasturrad3easywetamph200
ammt2mc2m3mbogrivgasrad3mgmgamph60
ammt3mc2m2mtorweldieweteasyamphrad31510

We have also seen that about 10% of you and only about 4% of total designs are made with auto design, this is something that reinforces our desire to improve this element of the designers.
1645106778449.png

Alright lets get into some more gritty details. first off we have been seeing how player designs have been changing since release in response to changes in patches and the design meta developing.
1645106789765.png

1645106795449.png

1645106800452.png

Next up lets see how you've been using those handy preferred tactics, it neck and neck over what players think is the best one for the army.
1645106830179.png

But you have a clear favourite for generals.
1645106844393.png

But what about all those new focus trees, well lets take a look at how you traverse focus trees. here we look at what exclusive choices you are making when playing with the new focus trees. As a community players will always trend toward the path that lets them expand and be independent so most of the breakdowns are as expected. however its also very useful to know what specific choices players make within these paths.

sov_focus_selection.jpeg

pol_focus_selection.jpeg

lit_focus_selection.jpeg

lat_focus_selection.jpeg

est_focus_selection.jpeg

axis_allies_baltic_focus.jpeg

sov_industry_focus.jpeg

Construction now, when to switch to MIL's from CIV's is always an topic for debate. as we can see though the change happens on average quite early with the first year averaging at 13.17 CIV's built. This is consistent over most majors outside SOV, with many being much more extreme than the average.
1645106861728.png

Additionally you always need more railways and infrastructure.
1645106873810.png

Finally I'll bring us to Division meta. this might be surprising but meta divisions while definitely popular, are not as ubiquitous as online discussion would have you believe.
1645106884415.png
As you can see we have the usual suspects of the 10-0's, 7-2's and 14-4's but they are nowhere near dominant in the average game.
The situation becomes even less unified once we take support companies into account
1645106896799.png

That wraps it up for this Dev Diary, If you have anything specific you're interested in from this brief overview let me know and maybe we can do a deep dive in future.

• 52Like
  • 8Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Well, there's no telemetry about navy or spy? I felt disappointed about the lack of them.

And mentioned the focus trees, i feel the focus trees are too huge to finish(at least for the nations like SOV), even in the mid of WWII, it seems that the army is not fully prepared for the battle(or same for industry)

For infantry equipments, they easy come easy go. If not suffer from losses, it's easy to gather a lot, but if the war not so easy, they will be used very fast, for marching every inches need the cost of blood in the late game.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I mostly use nukes against uk and japan from personal recollection, and I don't think I've ever had to nuke the ussr.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Please also let me know why you really like nuking Paris in the comments below.
1) Sick fun - 90%
2) Not much air supremacy needed, usually no radars in the area - 1%
3) located at the centre of WW2 battleground, so just one bomber away from every faction's KABOOMBOOM airstrip! - 1%
3) no repercussions on public opinion, stability or war support if I do it, so why not? Stop me you dirty hippies! - 1%
4) War is fun - 1%
5) Bombs are fun - 1%
6) I like the animation, although I feel sick to the stomach as soon as I receive the news reel about the "City of Lights going Dark Forever" (well played there PDX-UN human rights watchdog, well played indeed) - 5%

• 12Haha
Reactions:
Thank you for these insights. I would appreciate more of these, say semi-annually or even quarterly.

Reactions:
To be honest, Me and my freinds dont play the new dlc anymore, and we wont buy the new dlcs once they come out because we hate the new supply system, it doesnt work for us and it if frustrating if you cant use it. At the moment we just play on 10.5 again and we dont really miss the new focous trees and tank designer

Reactions:
A bit surprised so many players choose easy or very easy mode.

Easy/Very Easy is surprising. I prefer hard/very hard.
That came up last time, alongside "I should not have asked forum readers to PM me their answer to why they play Easy/Very Easy. Or at least, I should have asked someone else to be PM'd".

A lot of players (back then) considered HoI 4 to be their relaxation game. They play other games when they want to test their mettle, but they prefer to just let HoI play out some strange ahistorical scenario that they can then comfortably react to with Easy mode buffs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Finally I'll bring us to Division meta. this might be surprising but meta divisions while definitely popular, are not as ubiquitous as online discussion would have you believe.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions on this. 21% of people just use 9-0 pure infantry, the starting template for many nations. To me that says many players find division design uninteresting/unimportant and ignore the system. It works out because 18w is at least decent in most terrains, but I don't think it's some great achievement that there's no meta division on top. I'd be interested to see the division type breakdown by difficulty in single player. SP vs MP would be an interesting comparison as well.

• 8Like
Reactions:
The reason I don't play at the higher difficulty levels is that I prefer higher diffculty levels to have my opponents buffed, not my country being nerfed. I usually play EAI on hard or very hard.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Do these stats include modded and Ironman?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is it funny or creepy that Paradox collects these data and the player just can agree with it if he wants to play the game ... ? :oops:

The reason I don't play at the higher difficulty levels is that I prefer higher diffculty levels to have my opponents buffed, not my country being nerfed. I usually play EAI on hard or very hard.
Yeah, if I'm after a challenge I use the sliders to increase the bonuses the countries I'll be fighting get, I don't use the difficulty settings.

Reactions:
1645640331816.png

Perhaps because nuking Paris is in the lyrics?

1645640461220.png

• 9Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Is it funny or creepy that Paradox collects these data and the player just can agree with it if he wants to play the game ... ? :oops:
I actually find it creepy and don't like this type of detailed monitoring of gameplay at all. I'm a relatively private person and don't like the thought that everything I do in the game is being monitored and reported. However, I am open minded and may be over-reacting. So I would be interested in what other people think about this - Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with this kind of detailed monitoring?

By the time most platers get Infantry 3, the war is kicked off, and their focus is on the fight more than their production. And since Infantry Equipment is the most crucial equipment in the game, everyone adopts a mentality of "if you're not drowning in guns, you're out of guns..." Which is often true because it's also the most demanded equipment in the game...

Of course everyone is going to play with the new nations released... they paid for them. I'd be more interested to see a summary of detailed player reviews, because the general consensus I've seen from everyone (myself included,) is you nerfed the Soviets into oblivion, then game them this uber-tree and endless decisions that are more a nuisance to navigate and use than the game's air-force wak-a-mole micromanagement... As for Poland, Great Meme Country to add... still dies in what? 90% of all games before 1941? It's a neat thing to play with, but it seems like a lot of wasted effort, meant to just annoy Germany and Russia with high-resistance provinces.

For the Designer... please for the love of god stop trying to read-players minds and go for "Let's improve the auto-designer so it's used more!" Nobody is asking for that, and even if you do improve it, no-one is going to use it because most players know what exactly they want, or are experimenting with what they want... If you want to change anything with the designers, the ability to save and load designs between games is what you have to do. Between Naval, Tanks, and the Air Designer we know is coming with the next major update, it will be one of your best quality of live improvement.

It is nice to see you've kinda broken the Meta-Template Spamming, but lets be honest... if your trying to make the metas obsolete, you swung and missed... It's cool we now have to break the usual "20-Width Spam" to get templates that are optimized for specific tiles, but the changes to most combat widths were no-where significant enough to make 20-widths ineffective in most terrains.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
For the Designer... please for the love of god stop trying to read-players minds and go for "Let's improve the auto-designer so it's used more!" Nobody is asking for that, and even if you do improve it, no-one is going to use it because most players know what exactly they want, or are experimenting with what they want...

Another plausible explanation for so few people using the auto designer could simply be that the button is incredibly tiny, and not very intuitive.

Personally I think the auto designer is a great idea, both for new players and when you just want get something decent/semi-historical out instead of getting into the nitty gritty.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The harder difficulties will slow down your PP generation which is not a fun feature to play with. It doesn't fundamentally change the game or really make it harder. Rather it just makes you wait longer to pick the things you want. I don't personally like that so I would rather play on normal. I'll play a game of expert AI and turn up the difficulty to the highest possible setting where the AI has like 75% less attrition and add spawn in enemy divisions so I am not opposed to the AI getting "cheats". That stuff will not effect my PP generation though.

I am personally not a fan of the PP system I think the strategy should be in what designers, command staff, etc you pick and not just waiting for your political mana to fill up. Political Power makes sense for decisions/Events but not for picking your designers/staff/advisors. You could tie it with elections as in whenever their is an election it would allow you to pick new staff/designers/advisors. Just my two cents though for all I know people could love the PP system.

• 2Like
Reactions: