• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hoi4 Dev Diary - Telemetry and data

Hello there, the time has come to do a fun dive into what you've been playing the game as a community. So over this diary we are going to look into some of the trends and statistics we seen from our telemetry and see how we use it to gain insights in current player trends when working on HOI4. The wonderful data team have been working to get us all the information we wanted and I hope you enjoy seeing some of their great work. As a forward point, as with any data collection we do not store any personal information or anything that can used to identify players in accordance with GDPR.

So first of we will start with something fun, can you guess what this graph is telling us.
1645107087765.png

If you guessed this was us spotting the continuous naval production focus exploit being discovered you get a gold star, although it seems some of you are still very much into using the focus.

With telemetry we can work to understand our players by seeing how you play and this lets us form an experience players will enjoy. we see this in many ways, for example we can see by player difficulty settings players really shy away from the harder difficulties.
1645107138178.png

We can also see how players are reacting to new content, here we can see the soviet union and Poland grow and maintain solid new highs in terms of sessions played. Germany still remains you favourite major to play, and for those of you that like playing minors the PRC seems to be the country to go for.
1645107317495.png

Now lets get into some more specific game related data, player play behavior's are something that always interesting to know. You might think you know what most players are doing from discussions on various discussion platforms, streams and videos, however what's even better is knowing for sure what the meta and average player does.

For example many people really need to check their infantry equipment stockpile late game
1645106739776.png

Seriously players really enjoy making infantry equipment 3
1645106760437.png
Alright that's allot of graphs, and we know graphs are not how we get views, so lets take tried and trusted top 5's for spin.

We will start with rapid fire round of nukes so.

Top 5 target nations:
  1. Germany
  2. Soviet union
  3. Japan
  4. USA
  5. England
Top 10 Target provinces:
  1. Tokyo
  2. London
  3. Berlin
  4. Hiroshima
  5. Moscow
  6. Nagasaki
  7. Washington
  8. Osaka
  9. Nagoya
  10. Paris
Top 5 countries nuking:
  1. Germany
  2. Soviet union
  3. USA
  4. England
  5. Italy
As we can see players are really not very imaginative with their nuke targets or they share a strange wish to nuke all the same places. Please also let me know why you really like nuking Paris in the comments below.

We can now take a trip over to something newer, its that new shiny toy the tank designer. I must say if there was a meta with tank design someone forgot to tell players because the only consistent design trend has been making cheap flame tanks.

So here we have your favourite modules for each category over the last month
MODULE_TYPEMODULE_NAME
ARMORtank_welded_armor
CHASSIShv2
ENGINEtank_gasoline_engine
GUNtank_small_cannon_2
SUSPENSIONtank_christie_suspension
TURRETtank_medium_three_man_tank_turret
extra_moduleadditional_machine_guns
extra_modulewet_ammo_storage
extra_moduletank_radio_1
extra_modulesloped_armor

How about your favorite Tank role designs, featuring some monster MBT design that players love.
ROLECHASSISGUNTURRETSUSPENSIONARMORENGINEMODULE1MODULE2MODULE3MODULE4ENGINE_UPGRADEARMOR_UPGRADE
mmbt0hc3mbttorcasdierad3smokeasyslop2020
mlt2csl2mchrrivgasrad1---------32
mlt2sc2l2mchrwelgasrad1---------102
mmt2mh1m3mbogrivdierad2tsctscmg64
mlt2ac1l2mchrcasgasrad1---------32
mlt2csl3mchrrivgasmgmgmgmg90
mlt2sc2l2mchrrivgasrad1---------32
mlt2csl3mchrwelgasrad1---------102
mlt2ac1l2mchrwelgasrad1---------32
mlt2fltl2mchrrivgasrad1---------32

You guys also have some erm "interesting" collective opinions when it comes to amphibious tanks.
ROLECHASSISGUNTURRETSUSPENSIONARMORENGINEMODULE1MODULE2MODULE3MODULE4ENGINE_UPGRADEARMOR_UPGRADE
ammt3mc2m2mchrcasturrad3amphweteasy200
ammt2mc2m3mintwelgasrad3mgmgamph60
ammt3mc2m3mtorcasturmgslopamphrad3110
ammt3mc2m3mchrwelgasrad3slopamphmg99
amhv3hv3h3mchrcasturrad3amphslopsque2020
amhv3hc2h3mintwelgasrad3slopsmokamph88
ammt3hv2m3mtorwelgasrad3slopsmokamph56
ammt3mh2m3mchrcasturrad3easywetamph200
ammt2mc2m3mbogrivgasrad3mgmgamph60
ammt3mc2m2mtorweldieweteasyamphrad31510

We have also seen that about 10% of you and only about 4% of total designs are made with auto design, this is something that reinforces our desire to improve this element of the designers.
1645106778449.png

Alright lets get into some more gritty details. first off we have been seeing how player designs have been changing since release in response to changes in patches and the design meta developing.
1645106789765.png

1645106795449.png

1645106800452.png

Next up lets see how you've been using those handy preferred tactics, it neck and neck over what players think is the best one for the army.
1645106830179.png

But you have a clear favourite for generals.
1645106844393.png

But what about all those new focus trees, well lets take a look at how you traverse focus trees. here we look at what exclusive choices you are making when playing with the new focus trees. As a community players will always trend toward the path that lets them expand and be independent so most of the breakdowns are as expected. however its also very useful to know what specific choices players make within these paths.

sov_focus_selection.jpeg

pol_focus_selection.jpeg

lit_focus_selection.jpeg

lat_focus_selection.jpeg

est_focus_selection.jpeg

axis_allies_baltic_focus.jpeg

sov_industry_focus.jpeg

Construction now, when to switch to MIL's from CIV's is always an topic for debate. as we can see though the change happens on average quite early with the first year averaging at 13.17 CIV's built. This is consistent over most majors outside SOV, with many being much more extreme than the average.
1645106861728.png

Additionally you always need more railways and infrastructure.
1645106873810.png

Finally I'll bring us to Division meta. this might be surprising but meta divisions while definitely popular, are not as ubiquitous as online discussion would have you believe.
1645106884415.png
As you can see we have the usual suspects of the 10-0's, 7-2's and 14-4's but they are nowhere near dominant in the average game.
The situation becomes even less unified once we take support companies into account
1645106896799.png

That wraps it up for this Dev Diary, If you have anything specific you're interested in from this brief overview let me know and maybe we can do a deep dive in future.

• 52Like
  • 8Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
1645626459941.png

Possible explanation: after those dates there isn't much to still produce... playing as Germany for example, after defeating your 'biggest' enemies in Europe, you will not create any more divisions (so won't use up support equipment) and will have so much military IC that it's better to just overproduce stuff and because support_equipment seems like something you will always need, it makes sense to just pour all that unneeded IC there.

• 10Like
Reactions:
we can see by player difficulty settings players really shy away from the harder difficulties.
When harder difficulties are about more challenging AI, instead of shooting myself in the foot, I'll gladly pick it up a notch.

• 34Like
  • 4Haha
  • 3Love
Reactions:
When harder difficulties are about more challenging AI, instead of shooting myself in the foot, I'll gladly pick it up a notch.
^This!

• 19Like
Reactions:
Top 5 target nations:
  1. Germany
    Top 5 countries nuking:
  2. Germany
I hope not in the same game...

About Infantry Equipment overproduction : it happens when I don't know what to do with my industries (can't produce advanced weapons because I don't have enough rubber or tungsten).

• 6Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
That would mean either having multiple AIs, which would need separate support and development, or force the AI to take decisions that itself would consider bad. Neither sound like a good scenario.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting data, for sure.

However, I wouldn't read much into it. From the first graph alone (the difficulty), it is easy to see that a sizeable amount of data comes from inexperienced or occasional players, who have no idea of what's even going on. All of the data below that support this claim, especially the division design.

I would honestly prefer it, if you would filter out all data from "easy" or "very easy" campains. Then perhaps we could see how the hivemind has reacted to the NSB changes.

• 3Like
Reactions:
So wait does this mean the majority of people who choose the Polish Regency Council do it just to not get anyone as King? Seem to be missing a bit of infomation here.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Interesting data, for sure.

However, I wouldn't read much into it. From the first graph alone (the difficulty), it is easy to see that a sizeable amount of data comes from inexperienced or occasional players, who have no idea of what's even going on. All of the data below that support this claim, especially the division design.

I would honestly prefer it, if you would filter out all data from "easy" or "very easy" campains. Then perhaps we could see how the hivemind has reacted to the NSB changes.
This data DD is deliberately aimed at average play. It is not intended to be a full in depth analysis of the meta playstyle itself or a subsection of the player base, but to provide a snapshot of how the average player plays/is playing the game. If a data based current meta play deep dive is something people would be interested in we can keep that in mind for DD's for the future.

• 44Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
Regarding the use of nukes, personally my first 1-3 go on the capital of my main enemy (Or if Germany's air defense is too strong, Italy), along with important industrial states, always centered on the main victory points. After that I focus on tactical usage. Part of it is role play, rest is because I think it's genuinely a good way to use them.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Interesting results. Especially with the Focus Tree results where players favor the historical path for some nations and the alternate history for others, If anything it kind of deflates the perpetual griping that "people only play this game for memes now".

• 5Like
Reactions:
While I doubt they are going to introduce different AI difficulties anytime soon, I would love to option to be able to tweak the modifiers the harder levels have. The number one reason I do not play the hardest level more is because it crimps the player PP so much. Often, I want a harder game, but still have PP to play with all the fun tools the game has. Missing out on all that is removing to much fun.

I guess such an option would throw the stats off some, but maybe they could just add a category for Custom Play Level.

• 2Like
Reactions:
about the infantry equipment, I've had games where I was suddenly 10K in the red with infantry equipment and at that moment you're done for
you can be in the red with anything else but your troops simply won't fight without infeq

so you need as much as possible as quickly as possible and after a certain point that snowballs into too much but that's still better then too few

• 3Like
Reactions: