• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - PdxCon & Moving Madness!

Hi everyone! Today will be a short dev diary because we are preparing for PdxCon and also moving office at the same time. Its not chaotic at all :D

PdxCon this year is in Berlin, and there is going to be lots of cool reveals, beers and pretzels! We will be announcing our expansion (the trailer is <3 guys) and talk about most of the details in it. Here are some of the HOI highlights:
  • The big Announcement Show starting at 10am CEST over at twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive
  • I do a talk on HOI, HOI community, expansion and the future
  • We have a both with a new challenge (so make sure you have done 30 minutes of Hel) because the winners record this year on the new one will be a new achivement :)
  • @Bratyn and @Archangel85 are holding a talk about content design and focus trees
  • We have a competitive HOI4 MP stream with streamers and devs on Sunday the 20th at 5pm CEST - (twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive)
  • Most importantly you get to hang out with us and look at cool paradox stuff. The other games have a lot of cool things to announce also.. :)
A lot of this will be streamed as well if you cant make it to Berlin :)

upload_2019-10-16_12-30-19.png

Probably last day I get to say hi to the old office sign!

We are also moving offices. The company is always growing and me being an old hand feel like we move about every year ;D but I guess it has been a few years now since the last move ;) This means we will have proper space to work (its super cramped at the moment), and more importantly.. more space to play boardgames ;)

This is currently what most peoples desks look like:
upload_2019-10-16_12-31-48.png

Next week I will do a diary to talk a bit about PdxCon and summarize all the new announcements and stuff for those that couldn't be there and after that we will dig into the details of the announced features. We wont have a stream next week because the studio wont be ready, but we plan to start those up soon so we can show you guys what we have been working on. Look forward to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang on a moment, Project Nero is a known codename for a PDS game and Twilight Struggle is a Cold War game. Are those board games a hint that the new game that’ll be announced is a Cold War GSG?

What were the main reasons behind relocation?

We are also moving offices. The company is always growing and me being an old hand feel like we move about every year ;D but I guess it has been a few years now since the last move ;) This means we will have proper space to work (its super cramped at the moment), and more importantly.. more space to play boardgames

He said why: Growth.

more space to play boardgames ;)

This is currently what most peoples desks look like:

Glad to see the team still plays boardgames, which are very interesting notably because of how well they balance their complexity v. depth. This is because a boardgame player has to compute everything, so only the quintessence goes in the game.
On the other hand, the danger with a computer game is to make it more complex than deep as no such limit exists, a sin that has affected many PDX games including HOI ;)

What were the main reasons behind relocation?
He said why: Growth.

yup. we are simply out of space, and this is after putting desks in all the common chill areas like 2 years ago.

Hang on a moment, Project Nero is a known codename for a PDS game and Twilight Struggle is a Cold War game. Are those board games a hint that the new game that’ll be announced is a Cold War GSG?

;D no hinting intended.. most of the ww2 stuff was in another box and I didnt wanna carry stuff around just for a pic

Do you plan to add more research teams or research bonus to the game? Cause more technologies like amored cars.

Cause Germany as sample is not even able to research all of their historically techs.. even if you use exp, go directly to the new tech team in the focus tree, never researchs earlier as the historically date and play on normal.

Also other countries have issues.

Do you plan to add more research teams or research bonus to the game? Cause more technologies like amored cars.

Cause Germany as sample is not even able to research all of their historically techs.. even if you use exp, go directly to the new tech team in the focus tree, never researchs earlier as the historically date and play on normal.

Also other countries have issues.

Hoi4 is a game first and foremost not a history sim.
If you could easily research all the important tech then there is no choice and so no game.
They could add more post war tech like sophisticated helicopters but then it takes ages for you to make that choice

;D no hinting intended.. most of the ww2 stuff was in another box and I didnt wanna carry stuff around just for a pic
Now that's a hint of logistic system rework. :p
Maybe we will have Self-Propelled Boxes as a Wunderwaffe. :p

Hoi4 is a game first and foremost not a history sim.
If you could easily research all the important tech then there is no choice and so no game.
They could add more post war tech like sophisticated helicopters but then it takes ages for you to make that choice

yes, for sure. Thats of course correct.

But actually we have the situation that some nations have not enough researchpower and now we get new techs. And already man the guns has given us a lot of new techs but only small buffs to research. So if you own all dlcs... , and actually want to play them it will be even worse.

So even with +1 research teams or more research bonus you still need to decided what you research. If you own all dlcs;)

Last edited:
This means we will have proper space to work (its super cramped at the moment)
Also, more space for more teams and reinforcing current ones to make new great games and the current ones even better! :D
Edit: it may or may not imply a Victoria 3.

yes, for sure. Thats of course correct.

But actually we have the situation that some nations have not enough researchpower and now we get new techs. And already man the guns has given us a lot of new techs but only small buffs to research. So if you own all dlcs... , and actually want to play them it will be even worse.

So even with +1 research teams or more research bonus you still nee t odecided what you research. If you own all dlcs;)

I agree that we would have to rethink the current research system that is too limited considering that each DLS has added more technology I think it would have to increase in number of research slots in each country comes by default