• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Merry Christmas

As is traditional christmas time means 2 things: The dev team all disappear off on holidays and I make some beutifulhorrible holiday art... so, merry Christmas everyone!
doggos_2018.jpg

As I said we now go off on a much needed break, so expect diaries to resume again when we get back after new years :)

I figured I'd also give a little summary of the year from out point of view. This year saw the release of Waking the Tiger back in march which we are proud of and seems to have been received really well. Then during the summer we hit a new record on amount of active monthly users playing HOI (540k!!). Otherwise we have been hard at work on probably our most ambitious expansion yet - Man the Guns, which we announced (very early) at PdxCon. I expect a lot of people wanna ask me for a release date, but it is what it always is: when its ready. I can promise that we'll tell you early next year though.

As is customary I usually drop some cool statistics as well. so 'ere we go:
  • We investigated tutorials a bit and found that the HOI one actually seems to work the best of the ones we have. a whole 89% of people who start it actually complete it, and people who do complete it have a much higher chance to stick around and play the game (I am not much of a tutorial man myself, preferring to get watch lets plays and the like, but this still makes me happy :))
  • We broke all our player records during summer. I dunno if the weather was extra bad this year or not, but people seem to have been spending their vacation charging across Europe in tanks.
  • Constructive Engineering and Training continuous focuses are the most popular by a wide margin
  • The most popular total conversion mod is Road to 56 (12%) followed by Kaiserreich (8%). 3rd spot is held by Millennium Dawn at 5.5%. The most popular non TC mods are Colored Buttons and player led peace conferences.
  • Multiplayer games sit at 11% (daily unique players) and 17% use ironman

Oh yeah, we were pretty excited to hear that HOI4 had been nominated for the 2018 steam awards under Best Alternative History. I'm not gonna beg you to go vote at all. Totally up to you!

I also figured we'd highlight my 2 favorite bugs that have popped up during development. Smoke launchers let submarines lay down smoke to escape... somehow without revealing their position ;D also we had a great one where whenever we iterated on stats for a ship design it would double the stats of those modules, and also double the amount of module slots. @YaBoy_Bobby was the undisputed king of the seas in this abomination:
upload_2018-12-19_14-8-41.png

(its a while ago, so its an older iteration of the UI). I have no idea what -75% reliability mean, but I suspect it just explodes if you try to train with it.

See you all next year and have a merry Christmas and a happy new year - HOI4 Dev Team

Last edited:
Still no word on release, but it sounds like with bugs like that you still have a ways to go. As much as I'd love to be playing this right now, take as much time as you need so we can have a nice, polished release with a passable AI.

Enjoy your vacation!

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all!!!!!

Please show a christmas teaser on how you can change/ switch the ship profile when creating a new ship variant? :rolleyes:

We broke all our player records during summer. I dunno if the weather was extra bad this year or not, but people seem to have been spending their vacation charging across Europe in tanks.

Here in France our summer was extremely hot - we almost have no rain -. So it was better to burn tanks/ships/planes/countries in HoI4 in the confort of a room in the dark than burn our skin while going outside.

I've had a great year in HoI. I've reformed Byzantium, conquered the world as Sinkiang, paradropped into Hungary as Australia and even done a - shock - historical playthrough.
I am also off on my winter break from today. Have a great rest and I look forward to hearing more about these manly men manning these manly guns.

Also couldn't imagine a submarine going 335.5 knots haha

Merry Christmas , looking forward to the announcement of the release date ;)

I can promise that we'll tell you early next year though.
As per tradition, can we have a release date for the release date?

I have no idea what -75% reliability mean, but I suspect it just explodes if you try to train with it.
It probably just becomes a mushroom cloud as soon as it touches any water.

@podcat failed to mention Paradox is up for best developer in the Steam Awards as well.

Merry Christmas to all the devs, enjoy your break!

I hoped to see some art and Dutch bycicles battalions, but I can forgive anything because of that Santa Retriever.
I got a whole diary planned showing off all the art and awesome music thats gonna be in MTG also

I have no idea what -75% reliability mean

Positive number if above water, negative number if below water clearly :D .