• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Combat and Stats changes

Hi everyone and welcome back to another dev diary! Today is about various changes that affect combat and units. With the Barbarossa update we want to shake up the meta a bit and also change a few stats and other aspects to make using the tank designer more interesting and rewarding.

High Command bonus changes
For a long time now unit bonuses from high command have confused people. Most expect that they apply to battalions, when in fact they apply only if their target unit type was “the majority type”, which was basically a weighted type count. They also could overlap, so infantry, mountaineers and artillery would apply to the same units letting you stack stuff in ways that was never intended and quite unintuitive.

Screenshot_1.png

This system has now changed, and divisions get bonuses based on their composition, this is a straight up ratio based on the number of non-support battalions of each type, so a 2x artillery 3x infantry division will be 40% artillery 60% infantry.
Battalions are always classified as a single type for this (even though some are scripted with multiple types) based on this priority:
cavalry > armor > artillery > motorized > mechanized > infantry

The exceptions being rocket & special forces, which both act as an addition, so if the 3 infantry divisions in the example above were mountain units, then the division would also be 60% special forces and if the 2 artillery are nebelwerfers it'd also be 40% rocket

When counting the battalions of armies (ie when we have an actual unit and not only a division template), battalions that lack equipment will count as less, so a Light Tank battalion with only half it's tanks will count as 0.5 battalions (and not count at all if without tanks). The total sum of the compositions will still end up 100% (unless every battalion is without equipment).

Screenshot_3.png

To make it easier to see this we now have an indicator in the division windows showing the breakdown.

Combat Width
As a part of our efforts to shake up the 40/20 width meta, we have made changes to the combat width of province terrain. Province widths now range from 75 to 96. Plains have a new base combat width of 90, while Mountains have a new combat width of 75. Most of these widths will not divide into each other easily, hopefully moving the ideal width away from multiples of 10.

Urban provinces are now the “widest” with a width of 96. But this does not mean they will be the easiest provinces to overwhelm. Mountains, marshes, and urban provinces now have reinforcement widths of ⅓ of province width instead of ½. This should hopefully give these provinces a slight defensive buff, while allowing us to open up pushing power in the more open tiles.

Screenshot_2.png

In conjunction with these changes, we have also been looking at reducing the overstacking penalty. We hope that this will alleviate some of the need to have divisions that are the perfect width for a given province. But at the same time, smaller countries should now be able to specialize their division width to suit their home terrain more appropriately.

Breakdown (numbers not final etc etc)
  • Plains
    • Standard 90
    • Reinforce 45
  • Desert
    • Standard 90
    • Reinforce 45
  • Forest
    • Standard 84
    • Reinforce 42
  • Jungle
    • Standard 84
    • Reinforce 42
  • Hills
    • Standard 80
    • Reinforce 40
  • Marsh
    • Standard 78
    • Reinforce 26
  • Urban
    • Standard 96
    • Reinforce.32
  • Mountain
    • Standard 75
    • Reinforce 25
One of the major things that make larger divisions like 40 width armor hit disproportionally harder than smaller ones is also how targeting and damage works inside combat in relation to the enemies defense. Essentially the larger divisions make more efficient use of concentrated damage as it punches through defense. To solve this we are doing a few things. First of all we are weighting the targeting towards wider divisions being more likely targets and also when picking targets to try and match it to have wider divisions spread damage over smaller rather than always concentrating it. They will probably still hit harder, but combined with width changes and other downsides of larger divisions it should make it less clear cut.
However, this part isn’t quite done yet though so I’ll cover it again in more detail in one of the “bag of tricks” diaries in the future when i see how it pans out, but I figured it needed to be mentioned now ;) That said though, to wet your appetites here is a little tease from a debug mapmode in development...
1620214309589.png

Armor and Piercing
Currently the effects of having stronger armor than the enemy can pierce, or being able to pierce an enemies armor are binary and give fixed bonuses. This meant that there wasn't really any benefit to have more armor than you needed to stop the enemies piercing, and also that being a single point of piercing under enemy armor was just as bad as having no piercing. So things were quite binary. With the tank designer coming we wanted to make it feel like your investments in upgrades were always worth it, so we are changing armor and piercing to have more gradual effects.

Armor > Piercing
  • Unit takes half damage (as it currently works)
Armor < Piercing and Amor > 0.75 * Piercing
  • Take damage between half damage to normal damage by difference in value
Armor < 0.75 * Piercing
  • The unit takes normal damage
Lets break this down with an example:
  • A panzer division has an armor value of 52
  • Its being attacked by an infantry division with some anti-tank guns. Their piercing is 60
  • If this was the old system this armor would be worthless and not reduce damage at all
  • Now because its close enough (between 60 and 45), so you get roughly half of the normal effect around 25% reduction of damage.

Reliability
For the tank designer it was important that reliability was more impactful if it was to be a good tradeoff with other aspects of design, so we needed to change it up (lest @CraniumMuppets 0% reliability tank monsters would take over the world). Now it will not just affect rate of loss in attrition but various other aspects:
  • Reliability affects losses from attrition like before
  • Reliability now affects org regain when moving, and also makes any weather related org effects more impactful when low
  • Lower reliability scales up all impacts from weather so if facing extreme weather a unit with low reliability equipment will suffer more of those weather effects
  • At the end of combat units with better reliability will be able to get back a certain amount of tanks etc to simulate that simple more reliable constructions would work better for battlefield repair and be less fragile when taking damage. So it's a bit like capturing enemy equipment in combat - but in reverse :cool:

Screenshot_4.png

Our goal is that this creates interesting tradeoffs when designing equipment and will make you have to consider if its worth switching a strategy focused on speed and firepower towards reliability when operating in bad weather and tough areas like the Russian winter or in northern africa or jungles.

Oh, and I figured now might be a good time to point out that there will be a future diary on weather changes and other cool related stuff, so these changes aren't completely in isolation. But one step at a time :)

But before we go, a few words about the studio...

Studio Gold
Hello everyone, my name is Thomas, but perhaps better known as @Besuchov here :)

As you saw here we have recently reorganized ourselves a little, moving from a big centralized Stockholm studio to splitting ourselves into Red, Green and Gold. This is mainly an internal org shift to make sure we keep our growing organization firmly focused around making good games. You shouldn't notice too many differences in the short term, we are still PDS making GSG on the Clausewitz engine, but it does mean that we can align each studio to the particular games. Since you will hear the studio names every once in a while, I just wanted to say who I am and what the studio is responsible for.

My role is Studio Manager, which means I'm accountable for the long term success of Studio Gold and working with things like management, staffing, and long term plans. Studio Gold has as its main focus Hearts of Iron (but we may or may not have some secret other stuff as well). Directly making the games though, that's still the job of Podcat and the team, but I intend to do my best to create an environment where we have the best chances to make great games together.

For me this is coming full circle at Paradox. I started as a programmer in 2004 and one of my first tasks was to work on Hearts of Iron 2. Since then I've done various things including being lead programmer for Hearts of Iron 3 (and Victoria 2), Project Lead for EU4 and more recently Studio Manager for PDS. Next to EU, HOI is my favorite game and I'm delighted to be back in a place where I can focus on fewer games and where that game is Hearts of Iron. You will see more of me in the future even though I will mostly take a backseat to the team working on the game.

That’s all, see you all again next week for more dev diary goodness!

• 311Like
  • 83Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Infantry get increased piercing values as tech goes up, to a much greater degree than low-end AT guns, so I fail to see the contradiction here.

The fundamental problem with piercing vs. armor is that it's very much a tactical level statistic being shoehorned into a divisional-level statistic. Yes, making it a gradient might have the side effect of making certain low-end AT guns more effective against armor than they should be (balance dependent), but frankly I find that preferable to the current system where the best designed AT guns in the game are completely useless because either their values are too low or they're treated as magically not piercing tanks due to the infantry dragging down the average value.
This was supposed to be (at least partially) addressed by the nonlinear dependence of divisional piercing on piercing values of constituent battalions (40% of max + 60% of avarage). Upping the contribution of max value would IMHO make sense, but in the current (before Barbarossa) system would just give more advantages to large divisions. Podcat alluded to some as-of-yet undisclosed disadvantages for high-width divisions, so the divisional piercing calculation might change.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hi, i have two questions:

1. Is there something to make spamming 2-width divisions and/or underequipped divisions for defence unviable? Somebody correct me please if this is already the case but that's how i understand the combat mechanics at the moment.

2. Slightly offtopic: Is Józef Unrug made an Admiral for Poland?

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'll agree with a lot of the previous posters:
The dev diary explicitly calls out the "59 piercing vs 60 armor, piercing does nothing" scenario as undesirable, yet the new system has the exact same problem?

Secondly, will anything be done to mitigate the effectiveness of tiny (10w or even 2w) "orgwall" divisions, often units that have very little equipment but still have their full org value?

• 1Like
Reactions:
"Studio Gold has as its main focus Hearts of Iron (but we may or may not have some secret other stuff as well)." Well, between you and I, if you do have secret stuff, i'd really like to know what those secrets are because you are really hyping me up ...

Reactions:
High Command bonus changes
Wouldn't it be better to have them simply apply on a battalion level? It seems to me that would be a easier and much clearer way to use that. Also this system is quite possibly open to some manipulation I already feel that this will allow to reach far higher levels of attack and def than before.

Combat Width
I predict that these width changes will not remove the meta simply change it from 20/40 to 20/30 as they will very much fit in all of those terrains quite well the a loss of 6 or less width will not be in any way a incentive to change things up. I feel that this is simply going to end up adding a bit of wasted width that no one will bother with or worse yet will push players into making even smaller divisions. That or people will just end up finding a division that best fits the 3 primary terrain types and everyone will use only that. I also feel the combat widths for various terrains are overall too small meaning that the range of optimal sizes will still end up below historical division sizes.

Armor and Piercing
Any chances for a fully scaled system? Seems this will still result in a somewhat binary system. Wouldn't measuring piercing relative to armour value on a % basis work better? That is say a unit X has 10 piercing and is attacking unit Y with 40 armour: 10/40=25% so unit Y gets 75% less damage or 75% of the maximum penalty (Say max is 50% then 50*75=37,5 so 37,5 would be the penalty). It also seems that the system you are describing would still result in situations where small differences in values would still result in large differences in penalties so this would mitigate any of that. Furthermore this solution would also easily acomodate a way to have some overpiercing bonus for say having over 200% of enemy armour or something like that, of course assuming that is going to be implemented.

Reliability
Shouldn't it be something that primarily affects battle performance (attack, piercing, defence etc) and supplies and not organisation? Historically speaking sending units with poor equipment into battle affected their performance but not their ability to continue to fight or move which is what org represents. I guess the exception to that would be any units that rely on vehicles (Motor mecha tanks etc) as them breaking would make it unable to fight, the new system for measuring division composition could be also used here to apply the penalties scaled to the div composition.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
So. What I see.
40 width will fight just as good as 20 w (at least that's the plan). Which is good, because 40 width are unhistorical, and there is absolutely no reason why 20 k men in one division should fight better than 20 k men in two divisions.

Changes in combat width is only psychological thing to say to player "Hey, your 20 w will get debuffs anyway, so you can go with 21 or 19, it will still be good :)". Kinda good, because now I can finally put AA battalion without worsening division too much.

No infantry changes mentioned. I guess it means that eastern front in HoI4 still trench warfare with nearly unbeatable 12 div per province. Unless this new unexplained "reinforcement width" means that new divisions cant join unless width is smaller than 1/2 of basic width or something like that. I'm not sure about this decision. This could make fronts more dynamic, or it could not change things at all.

High command bonuses become even more useless. As if now their pathetic 10% final modifier basically non-existent in 100/-90% final modifier (rest from weather, doctrines, generals etc), but this modifier going to become effectively even smaller. Sad.

Instead of adding chance of equipment break during warfare from lower reliability, you added ability to recover some equipment from high reliability. Sure. Whatever.

So, my only question - if I select 10 divs and tell them to go in fight, then 4 or them goes to 0 org before any other div reinforced (so battle ended), and then I again select those 10 divs and tell them to go in same province, does these 4 nearly 0 org divs will go to battle first and lose within first hours of fight, as they do now?

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Yo, small comment on your artillery comparison. Artillery in HOI4 isnt a battalion, its a regiment which is 3-4 battalions, and thusly 2 HOI4 "battalions" should be enough.
It's called a battalion, it uses manpower as a battalion would, it is overusing its Equipment, but that is about it. I hold it's a battalion and you need 3-4 of them

Reactions:
@podcat Are these changes going to be applied exclusively for DLC owners or is this changing for everyone regardless of DLC and game version?

I'm just curious from a guide maker perspective. If this is DLC exclusive, it means the guides already out will still be useful for those who don't have the DLC, or want to play without it sometime, but if it is a change for everyone and all versions it means we have to more than likely remake almost all guides.

Either way it is fine by me, I just want to know if I'll have to focus in the near future in guides for the new achievements or if it is going to be open season for all achievements :)

Oh dear! I'm not sure I'm understanding much about the reliability armor piercing system and composition.
I just hope it won't make AT even less used by me than it already is (*) but then again maybe it sounds worse on paper than in practice and would maybe even make me use AT a bit more often.

I also hope that maintenace company will finally have some more use in the game (for Tiger Divisions for example). I'd love to see them finally be important if you want to send Rommel to the desert and not lose half the tanks due to attrition.

When it comes to special forces, i really hope that the limit will be a bit lifted or at least expanded upon through research or focus for many nations more easily. Ever since Waking the Tiger I stopped using Paratroopers. Marines were always the go to and Moutaineers were only expanded upon when being stuck in the alpes. The rest of the time they weren't given any love till' around 1943/44

The * is where I normally would put all this into, but decided against it cuz it's too much complaining and personal Opinion, which is why it should come last:
I don't like that it makes so little soft attack and that I have to choose between removing half my infantry in order to get one Tank Divison of my back or half my AT to get the Infantry of my back. I mean come on they did have a few HE shells too and it's not cheap to produce AT, yet all I get is around 4 soft attack! I'd give them either somwhere in between 6 and 10 Soft attack or modify the defense to a total of 10 or 8 or give them more HP or ORG. I just don't like them

Last edited:
Where do you read that?

I read Armor > Piercing = no changes

Seems AT will be worse with the changes. Am I understanding it wrong?
The quoted calculation was wrong, but the change doesn't mean that AT guns will be worse. It will completely depend on what the piercing and armour values are. For example: if 'new armour' is equal to 'old armour' and 'new piercing' is equal to 4/3 (edit: corrected from 1.25) times 'old piercing' then you would pierce in all cases you used to pierce enemy armour and partly pierce in some situations.

Reactions:
So. What I see.
40 width will fight just as good as 20 w (at least that's the plan). Which is good, because 40 width are unhistorical, and there is absolutely no reason why 20 k men in one division should fight better than 20 k men in two divisions.

Changes in combat width is only psychological thing to say to player "Hey, your 20 w will get debuffs anyway, so you can go with 21 or 19, it will still be good :)". Kinda good, because now I can finally put AA battalion without worsening division too much.

No infantry changes mentioned. I guess it means that western front in HoI4 still trench warfare with nearly unbeatable 12 div per province. Unless this new unexplained "reinforcement width" means that new divisions cant join unless width is smaller than 1/2 of basic width or something like that. I'm not sure about this decision. This could make fronts more dynamic, or it could not change things at all.

So, my only question - if I select 10 divs and tell them to go in fight, then 4 or them goes to 0 org before any other div reinforced (so battle ended), and then I again select those 10 divs and tell them to go in same province, does these 4 nearly 0 org divs will go to battle first and lose within first hours of fight, as they do now?
fun fact. 20w are better in vanilla than 40w. without question

• 2Haha
Reactions:
These are finally good changes coming. But I'm still waiting for diplomacy & economy rework. Announce these two, and I (and many more similar to me) will be completely pleased once again. Please. I'm looking forward for them since release of the game.

It does, yes. What I'm puzzled about is why most of Sweden is blue while most of Finland is green. Finland in real-life is colder than Sweden, by quite a bit too, not the other way around.

View attachment 715021
I think the map in the dev diary is not an "average" temperature map, but a specific time of the day.

You can see that southern Libya in the middle of the Sahara and Yemen also seem colder than Northern England, this is of course possible, since deserts get very cold at night, but absolutely not "the norm".

Also, the map you posted doesn't really prove Finland is colder than Sweden at all.
Finland is mostly Dfc (dark blue) while southern Sweden is Dfb (blue).

The difference between Dfc and Dfb are the summers, not winters, so your climate map only proves that Sweden is hotter during summers, but it says nothing about winters.

Last edited:
Reactions:
@podcat , With the new work on reliability, will we see the ability to create variants of equipment we could not before like trucks and infantry equipment. Just the 4 attributes box that includes reliability as one of the 4?

Will you scale the High Command bonuses after depending on type? Most divisions won't have much line artillery, so a bonus to just one or two BNs won't matter much compared to a bonus for infantry.

And how about support artillery? Will they benefit from an artillery bonus?

I think the map in the dev diary is not an "average" temperature map, but a specific time of the day.

You can see that southern Libya in the middle of the Sahara also seems colder than Northern England, this is of course possible, since deserts get very cold at night, but absolutely not "the norm".

Presumably it is 0:00 1.1.1936.

Also, the map you posted doesn't really prove Finland is colder than Sweden at all.
Finland is mostly Dfc (dark blue) while southern Sweden is Dfb (blue).

The difference between Dfc and Dfb are the summers, not winters, so your climate map only proves that Sweden is hotter during summers, but it says nothing about winters.

I can post temperature data as well.

I love these changes, but I disagree with some of the width choices, I feel like jungles should have a smaller width since they are so dense and very difficult to maneuver through. I would almost argue that they should be smaller than mountains, but I also feel mountains should be broken up into forested and rocky mountains since that has a huge impact on what sort of maneuver corridors are available to a military force. I like the idea behind smaller reinforcement rates for these areas as well.

Reactions:
Hi, i have two questions:

1. Is there something to make spamming 2-width divisions and/or underequipped divisions for defence unviable? Somebody correct me please if this is already the case but that's how i understand the combat mechanics at the moment.
there is a stacking penalty that kicks in on many small divisions which was added in the past when we had issues with 10w meta

@podcat Are these changes going to be applied exclusively for DLC owners or is this changing for everyone regardless of DLC and game version?
its part of the free patch

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: