• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Back from PdxCon

Hi everyone! We are now back from PdxCon (most of us) and landing in our new offices, so brace for a ton of pictures! Oh and we announced the new expansion! If you haven't see the trailer <3 start there:

PdxCon 2019
PdxCon this year was imo one of the best ones so far. It was held in the Funkhaus Berlin. This place was super cool, and was basically the center of all radio and recording for DDR from the 50s until the german reunification.
upload_2019-10-23_15-24-44.png

We had announcements (among them CK3 and La Résistance!), LAN parties, presentations and Q&A sessions with fans as well as a scramble-for-africa multiplayer game on sunday. Most of all though it was super fun to chat with fans and modding groups (several ones were there!)

20191019_163621.jpg

WW2.. in hot pink!

73024784_10218883029721201_2655071717789007872_o.jpg

A very humble picture of @Bratyn on a throne ;D

20191019_102225.jpg

HOI boardgame preview

Image from iOS (8).jpg

Animals in the audience?

In our booth we ran a challenge which we plan to be an achivement for LaR, just like we did with 30min of Hel last year. It was called "Don't Die for your Country" and was to capitulate France and Poland as Germany with as few of your own casualties as possible (and no using paratroopers). The final score was 475 casualties :O
Am7j9ok.png

@Voigt was the winner, and you can read about how he did it here.

We had a ton of fun and basically just crashed when we got home ;D it felt a lot like coming home from a music festival :)

La Résistance

So 'ere we go... Our next expansion is now announced: La Résistance!

Its main theme is Espionage and Resistance and the main country focuses are France, both sides of the Spanish Civil War as well as Portugal. We will be starting off by going through espionage in the coming weeks in details
For more info check out the announce post and there will probably be uploads of videos from PDXCon and my talks popping up on youtube in the near future.
also here is a fresh unused screenshot to wet your appetites...
la_resistance_3.png

WIP etc ;)

New Office

We have a new office, and it is INSANELY COOL. Me and Daniel have been cruising around and checking it out this morning. Here are some highlights:

Image from iOS (5).jpg

Meeting rooms with battleplans and maps!

Image from iOS (6).jpg

armed artists...

Image from iOS (4).jpg

Mugshot-wall for employees :)

73059280_2139280509710725_6593105735180091392_n.jpg

WILD ANIMALS

74632510_2427901187449429_8431493776731537408_n.jpg

Toilets with inspirational quotes o_O

73349365_2499968873416139_4478545511174897664_n.jpg

Aliens

74670805_549026832524983_4095510019796107264_n.jpg

A space wall where you can literally sit and stare into space...

73036723_752708228474282_3014974377872588800_n.jpg

Casual meeting areas :)

74601330_978492895818838_1897491485943660544_n.jpg

Extra big meeting rooms

DSC_1082.JPG

The Bar :)

DSC_1096.JPG

And finally our awesome lobby

Thats it for today. See you again next week when we will start digging into the new LaR features!

Last edited:
I'll take what I can get. Thank you. It's beautiful!

Victorian_Ballroom.jpg

I have to say, I think you guys made the right call by moving more towards doing one major per DLC now. For the Soviets, people seem to want one of two things. A tree based entirely on communism, since there was so much variety and different possibilities there alone, but also some kind of civil war and potential restoration of the monarchy, republic, fascism, etc. It seems that with the approach you've taken with Spain, we can actually have both, just as two different trees.

The espionage stuff that was in the presentation looked very promising. It's actually a little sad that this is DLC only just because it has so much potential to tie into future content for other countries. Continuing on the Soviet theme, the Soviets were very active in infiltrating the organizations of Russian exiles including the White Army in exile, ROVS, and conducted misinformation campaigns, propaganda, and outright assassination.

It would be very interesting if the new espionage system could be utilized to tie into country-specific missions, such as the Soviet espionage of the exiles, as above. This could tie into a potential civil war to restore the Republic or monarchy.. We already have the civil war event. Perhaps if one does not keep up on the liquidation of the White remnants in exile, when the Civil War happens they opt for integration with ROVS instead of looking to Trotsky. That's how I'd go about it at least. This adds in a layer of interactivity and immersion that at least let us suspend our disbelief a bit more than just clicking a button and suddenly we're moving towards a monarchy.

It doesn't end there either. Poland had an extensive espionage campaign in the late 20's and early 30's to try to build an underground network of Ukrainian and Belorussian nationalism called 'Prometheanism". IIRC they abandoned this for diplomatic reasons ~1934, but it seems like something that would work well as plausible alternate history option for the Polish rework. Plus there's the whole matter of the Soviets being able to utilize foreign communist parties as de facto espionage networks. The Soviets have a huge, unique advantage here. I can see why you said you wanted to get some mechanics in place before moving on to them.

That and the fact that they have glass map walls. They've clearly assumed command of the actual SGC.
Yes, very yes.

New Stargate series confirmed!

Official SG-1 post-Revelations (the movie that never got made where the Stargate would be revealed... and O'Neill and Carter would finally hook up ;..; ) HoI4 mod confirmed!

... I kid, but a girl can dream right?

also here is a fresh unused screenshot to wet your appetites...
View attachment 520282
WIP etc ;)

When I saw the feature list, I thought, "Although a Chinese expansion and a naval expansion were instant must-buys, I'm not that fussed about espionage."

But on-map spies..... :cool:
Code-breaking.... :cool:

I'm starting to be persuaded....

BTW, it seems that this interface (e.g. menu buttons) is different from vanilla. Is that because you're playing the USSR or is everybody getting a refresh?

In the espionage screenshot it shows a spy behind bars, presumably arrested. Will this mean that there are no double agents? German intelligence was infamous for its failure to keep anyone from being flipped or caught in Britain.

For the Soviets, people seem to want one of two things. A tree based entirely on communism, since there was so much variety and different possibilities there alone, but also some kind of civil war and potential restoration of the monarchy, republic, fascism, etc.
Too many things already in the game hinge on Soviet Union being and remaining communist. And the entire "Civil War" thing is just dumb, and one of many nerfs to punish players that don't want to spend 210 days shooting themselves in the foot. Along with the other two 210 day focuses that do literally nothing, the missing thousands upon thousands in equipment, tanks and planes, a missing research slot, and a Land Doctrine that bears the names of the most advanced doctrines of armored and guerrilla warfares, but is actually trash, and being dependent on Lend Lease, just like the memes. Truly a spider that sits atop of the world and watches for more victims.