• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Airplanes and Lootboxes

Hi everyone! Today’s diary is sort of a logical continuation on the 1.4 “Oak” updated where we did a full revamp on the air interfaces and much of the underlying combat mechanics. So lets dive into some more air stuff!

Attaching air wings to armies
It's now possible to attach air wings directly to armies. This means that if you assign them to an army pushing into a hostile nation those wings will get automatically move to bases in range and assigned to areas the army is fighting in. This should hopefully mean no more accidentally forgetting your air force in france when you move forces up to the russian front in hectic multiplayer games or needing to manage things manually when crossing into new areas under an advance.
Assigned wings show over armies in air mapmode (you can’t attach to army groups) for easy check on how your attached air forces situation is. We show them in 3 groups: Fighters, Close Air support/tactical bombers and Transports for supply. You can’t attach strategic bombers, because, well, having planes on order to destroy the area you move through is generally not good. You can also quickly select those planes in each group which makes sending them around and rebalancing easy and quick.
Attaching is a free feature for everyone as part of the 1.5 “Cornflakes” update. The rest of the diary will cover features in the upcoming (and still unannounced. Trust me I’m itching to tell!) DLC.
Screenshot_1.png

Air Supply
Ever had your troops encircled and out of supply and wished there was some way to help them out? Now you can assign your transport planes to bring supply across enemy lines. Each plane assigned to a strategic area will boost supply in supply areas there. These planes can be intercepted as any other mission resulting in less supply, and destroyed planes. Air supply is designed to be a costly thing that you only want to use at a smaller scale, or to adjust minor supply problems. To ensure this we are rebalancing transport planes a bit so you will need a lot more of them (although with reduced costs as their “air fleet” status right now works badly with being intercepted) and air supply being a logistically tricky affair will require tying up new country resource to work. More info on that in a later diary though when we can show the whole picture. What is important here is that it's hard to use this at a large scale, and that it will come with some trade-offs.
supply_mapmode.png

(German planes delivering loot-boxes in a totally not-artificial at all situation of troops trapped in the middle of Poland)

To make it easy to identify where to send your transport planes on supply missions the air mapmode now has a special indicator showing areas with a supply need where planes could be assigned. If you are over supplying them through the air this is also shown, so that you may want to withdraw some of your wings.
supply_mapmode_2.png

Prioritization for strategic bombing
Players can now affect target selection for strategic bombers. The way it works is that you mark your prioritized targets when picking the strategic bombing mission. Those building types selected will have a higher chance of being targeted compared to others. Bombing isn't the most exact process and we felt it would be weird if you could completely control what doesn't get hit etc. So instead we decided on a system where you can somewhat affect it, but won't be able to walk into an area with all refineries destroyed but pristine infrastructure and factories.
upload_2017-11-1_16-4-0.png

We also have one more air related feature as part of the DLC, but we will be showing that off in a future diary where it fits in better with the content there ;P

Next week is a diary I have been looking forward to - we are going to explain what that new topbar button does that you may have spotted in screenies :)

PS. The second episode of our beginner-stream with @Da9L and @bus is coming any second now. Even though most of you are probably familiar with the basics, this is perfect for any friends that want to join in. Check out the Paradox twitch today at 16:00 CET: https://go.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

hard to stay angry if you can't remember what you're angry about
Ain't it the truth! Ain't it the truth!

Actually, just the fact of short-term memory loss is one of the reasons I'm always angry and running kids off the lawn.

Feel free to try to find me anyone actually saying this so that I could tell him directly, but I doubt you'd have much success. Anyway, I would probably say something along the lines of how air supply is a vital feature in a game that involves conducting paratrooper operations. No-one in their right mind would have dropped a significant number of forces behind enemy lines without intending to provide air supply for them. .

Usually the goal of dropping paratroopers behind enemy lines was for them to assist in the destruction of said enemy lines.

If paratroopers required steady air supply, then their mission was failed.

In Crete, paratroopers were dropped, then they captured a port for supply. in Normandy, the paratrooper landings were done with the idea that the beaches would be taken soon, allowing for resupply from the beach.

In Burma, where the Chindits were supplied by air, they weren't inserted via air.

Air supply and paratroopers are actually unrelated missions.

It's actually fairly common for people to saying things along the lines of "leave the focus trees to modders, give me gameplay mechanics in the DLC", although I can't think of someone that meets the specific example we're talking about here.

From what I've read on the forums (and elsewhere), it's pretty clear that the range of opinions of what should and shouldn't be part of the DLC, or what should or shouldn't be considered 'core' to a WW2-era GSG are quite broad. There's nothing wrong at all with you thinking that air supply is a core element, but as this thread shows, there are others who wouldn't agree. It's also reasonable to argue that all the core mechanics should be in patches rather than DLC, but again this is a subjective position - there's no 'rule of game development over time' that says 'core strategic mechanics' should be in free patches only (indeed, it'd be pretty easy to make the argument that core strategic mechanics should be DLC only).

My point in all of this is that, while there's nothing wrong with the position you're taking (air supply is a core mechanic, and core mechanics should be in the free patch), it's a subjective, contestable position, and it's similarly not inappropriate to take the line that either air supply is not a core mechanic (as what is 'core' and not at the GSG level is anything but settled - as I mentioned earlier in this thread, there are people that argue fuel is not core to a WW2-era GSG) or that it's fine to include core mechanics in DLC.

From my angle, your first post was completely reasonable (a little 'dramatic' starting with 'oh wow', but hardly the most dramatic thing posted around here :) ), you noted your disagreement with the policy and what you expected. I as a rule don't put red 'X's on anything, but even if I was a red-X demon, I wouldn't have disagreed with your point because your point was "I think this and I'm disappointed", which I think is fine. No-one is going to agree with what the devs do all the time (and I'm quite sure not all of the devs agree on particular things either). It was only at your second post, when you noted that:

Other than for members of the season pass in the Field Marshal pack, the devs don't owe us anything specific. They never claimed air suppy was in the game at launch, nor that it would be added later (iirc, Podcat said it would be cool if it could be, and that they wanted it to be in and ran out of time/resources/similar - but no commitment was made). We were given very good information on what was in the base game of HoI4 (what we got for our however-much-we-paid-for-it-in-the-currency-of-your-choice), and we were left to make an informed decision (and far, far more informed than for most games) on whether we should buy it or not.

As someone (dodgy memory playing up here, I think @SeekTruthFromFx but I could have my wires crossed here - sorry if I've got this wrong) well argued, Podcat did say that post-release, they would continue to develop the game and expand on things through free patches, so there is a good case to be made that we should expect features to continue to crop up in free patches (which they do - chain of command in the free patch is pretty damn good, imo), but at no point did they say "all core mechanics would be in free patches" or "air supply would be in a free patch" - they (wisely, imo) kept their options open as to how they'd go about this.

As per your first post, though, there's nothing wrong at all from what I can see in making the case that you think that air supply should be in the free patch, or noting you're disappointed it's not - just keep in mind it's a subjective position and there's also nothing wrong with others arguing otherwise. As always, if I've messed up the case/logic/anything else, by all means set me straight :).
I have to admit all of that is totally fair.

Please read the dev post. Not just the title.

The Brits transported light tanks (the Tetrarch) and jeeps and what not with gliders, I don't see why Germans and Americans couldn't, if they chose to develop that capability.

Would give the German player something to do with all those light tanks after 1942.

Wald

lol, that lootbox post was a joke....

About time we got loot boxes in this game, can you make a hub where we can open loot boxes infront of others and make them jelly? I want that Legendary beachwear attire for Hitler.

Being able to send troops via transport planes is something I'd love to see.
I agree and I would expand that with modifying their equipment strength based on what portion of the division is capable of airdrop. A paratroop division should be able to transport with 100% of their equipment. Other divisions should have equipment other than small arms sent back to the pool and then gradually resupplied normally when they land. All manpower and infantry equipment could be moved together which would make light divisions with limited support more useful but still less than ideal in actual combat. Heavier divisions could be moved to some target area in advance of their equipment and hold until it arrives with the possibility of coming under attack with less than full equipment if placed too close to a front.

All military planes should be able to do all missions. Obviously they should have niches they are most effective at, but the current system of hard limits to their capabilities is overly strict.

For example, four-engine bombers like the Lancaster and B-17 were used plenty of times to attack ships, to varying degrees of success. (See the sinking of the Tirpitz, or the B-17 attacks in the Battle of Midway) They can't do it ingame, though.

Yeah kind of annoys me how fighters can't ground attack. Even though they did it in the war ALL the time. Hell, by 1944 the allied has such high air superiority that we were rigging our planes up with bombs loads that rivaled actual bombers. (If you ever play war thunder, the bomb loads american fighters can take are quite something.)

At last !!!
These really are great news, sooooo expected features. Which should be in the base game, it's obvious, but it's obvious too that we had to pay about 80-100 euros to get this game finished, so not really a surprise.
Keep improve it guys, it will eventually more or less be the game we were waiting for.

There are two relatively simple changes that could greatly improve the air experience.

1. It would be nice to be able to lock an air unit to a certain aircraft model. This would, for instance, allow using shorter-range Fighter I for home defense and longer-ranged Fighter II for air superiority.

2. The range penalty for CAS makes them rather useless. In reality, however, CAS were not deployed en masse, but provided local support for which they did not have to fly across a province. Thus, reducing the mission efficiency penalty for CAS would make them more useful and realistic. At the same time, it would make sense to not only distinguish between CAS and Tac through a single ground attack value, but build in a ground attack bias for CAS and an air support bias for Tac. This would make them complementary and better reflect their historic roles.

You need to understand one simple rule here at Paradox's. Cristism isnt taken lightly here, even if done via sarcasm, in which they are Swedes. They have rules for every turn of events that might smeel like critism. For the record, I think that Paradox are the best programmers in the world - massively into threadprogramming, the most historical accurate game creators ever and HOI IV is a vast improvement over HOI III.
Huh , very interesting.For the most part , when some dev try to silence someone honest opinion , it usually ends in huge backlash. Thing is Paradox has one of the most loyal fanbases I have ever seen (seen as I have 'round 60 "respectfully disagree" on my comment which all unbiased observers can confirm that in no way insults anybody , so I applause Paradox creating this "fan machine" which can silence anyone on steam or forum who is against Paradox DLC policy).Oh yea just in case someone wants to silence my opinion : Paradox is the best !

Question, will it be possible in the future if you send volunteers to other countries send the divisions with attached air wing?
The Legion Condor in Spain comes to mind which committed the first of airial war crimes.

if your paratrooper take a airbase before landing and they are isolated so you send supply-air-bridge they will have a bonus on supply? They should the delivery performance should be bigger (not to be enought but better than dropping in open field).

Did we get an answer of whether we'll be able to transport light, say Para, divisions by transport from one airfield to another.
Was key in getting Franco's army to Spain. Plus would be nice to be tempted to send reserve para divs into help a pocket.

Did we get an answer of whether we'll be able to transport light, say Para, divisions by transport from one airfield to another.
Was key in getting Franco's army to Spain. Plus would be nice to be tempted to send reserve para divs into help a pocket.

I actually have an idea related to this.

Given how popular the "Two Spains" theory is, perhaps Nationalist Spain could already have territory prior to the civil war, in 1936 - all of Spanish Africa, where the Republicans had barely any influence.

When the civil war begins, the new mechanic will let them paradrop troops into their area. When Nationalist Spain surrenders, the Republicans can get that bit back or liberate Morocco there.

To my mind more peace options so the Spanish could fight to stalemate and two state solution (truce until round 2 really ;) ) would be preferable to making it a separate Spain from the beginning.

Apologies for posting in an old dev diary, but I've only recently had a chance to go through all of them to see what new features are coming in March.

Has anyone seen from the live streams how the new air mechanics work when you're attaching them to armies? This is one of the changes I'm most excited about. I'm kinda worried the AI will just bundle the planes into overfilled airbases. Also has anyone seen what happens when an army is fighting over two air regions? Do the assigned air wings split themselves, or do they only fight in the region where most of the fighting it taking place?