• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - 1.6.2 Open Beta Patch

Hello! As podcat noted in the prior Dev Diary, he is away this week at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, so I am filling in for him with a tech lead's perspective about our ongoing activities for the 1.6.2 open beta patch. (If you want to get access to the current open beta build, see the 1.6.2 beta thread for instructions.)

Content

The content designers continue to patch up a variety of problems that have been reported. In particular, this will include fixes to the Battlecry and Awake and Angry achievements, and news events to inform players of relevant changes in the game state, such as naval treaties being removed.

I am also informed that we have two new popular field marshals, already a part of the available 1.6.2 open beta, Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim of Finland, and Mustafa Kemal Atatürk of Turkey:

carl_mannerheim.png
mustafa_kemal_ataturk.png

Code

The programmers are also working through a number of issues of various sizes. These include improvements and fixes for naval interfaces, like a new mission warning icon that will help players detect when their task forces are ill equipped for their missions and explain why. Also, some of the rules and behaviors surrounding naval missions and assigned regions have been reworked to avoid weird or exploitable issues with distant and disconnected regions. We have also made some incremental improvements to the naval invasion AI to make it better coordinate the timing of multiple related invasion orders, and we are continuing to iterate on the invasion AI.

Balancing the Numbers

One area that we have been looking to balance is the ratio of screen ships to capital ships that the AI is choosing to produce. We know that some countries could stand to have more screens, but we don't want to push those numbers up too far, so that they end up with too few capital ships instead.

To help efficiently guide our balancing, we have taken advantage of a cool system that our automation testing team has provided, to log out various game stats that can be collected and graphed each night. This has given us a baseline to know what the current ratios tend to be for various countries. Then, after making balance changes, we can watch the numbers the following night to verify that the AI has adapted appropriately, instead of requiring the designers to manually run a game for an hour to find out if the changes hit the desired target.

Here are a couple examples of the current screen to capital ratios for the U.K. and Japan, over time (note that the numbers are multiplied by 10, but the ratios are actually from about 4:1 up to around 8:1):

screen_cap_ratio_ENG.png

screen_cap_ratio_JAP.png

We hope to have an update to the 1.6.2 open beta patch with these and other fixes by the weekend. The current status of the open beta branch is documented here, and you can follow that thread for future updates.

Didn't Kemal Ataturk make a law banning Politicians (including himself) becoming Army Officers??
Well yeah. And he died in 1938. So historically this update isn't very accurate but when we think more 'gamey' it sounds like fun and okay in my book. This could be fixed by adding political decision in Turkey, allowing ex soldiers like Atatürk or İnönü to command armies. For 150 political points it would be worth to take these 2 ww1 heroes.

I'm torn on Germany needing a nerf. Occupation does give you far too strong of an industry buff, but its fun to play as the allies and actually needing to play well to win. Also as others have said, AI frontline abandonment seems much worse in this patch. If the Soviets actually put their troops on the front they could hold Germany off.

I played 1.6.1 as France, hold against Germany and invaded into Italy. Allies with my help managed to conquer Afrika. And still Germany and Romania defeated USSR. So I think it is something bad with USSR AI.

In my experience it's because the Soviets mindlessly shuffle their armies around which allows the the Germans to roll over them. I've tagged over quite a few times to see what was going on and this is consistently what happens. They just don't have any org because the AI won't stop strategically redeploying. It's especially bad if the Soviets end up at war with Japan.

news events to inform players of relevant changes in the game state, such as naval treaties being removed.

Good.

A long missing feature is a generic news event in case a major changes ideology. This can have a huge impact on the game and yet you get no news about it. It is of great importance e.g. if France turned to the French Commune.

Is there a chance to get such news events as well? Should be not so difficult to create a generic event for this.

Last edited:
Thank you for the updates Andy. And, wow! I've been playing Man the Guns as the U.S. for the past week and the naval warfare updates are amazing. You developers are fantastic.

Here's a few bugs that I have run into:
o Using automatic reinforcement on fleets empties reserve fleets. Then the empty reserve fleet automatically deletes. Then production assigned to that reserve fleet reverts to auto. I can keep an outdated ship in the reserve fleet to keep it open but it would be better if the system could maintain reserve fleets with zero ships.
o When I review convoy raider battle results and hold the cursor on convoys sunk, I should see the type of convoy sunk, freight or troop. However, I don't see any detail. My decryption and encryption are researched to max, so it's not that. Am I missing something?
o Naval supremacy appears to be related to number of ships not type of ship. So you can dump a load of small ships into a zone and win supremacy for a short period. Am I right?

Thanks for looking at these issues.

In my experience it's because the Soviets mindlessly shuffle their armies around which allows the the Germans to roll over them. I've tagged over quite a few times to see what was going on and this is consistently what happens. They just don't have any org because the AI won't stop strategically redeploying. It's especially bad if the Soviets end up at war with Japan.

I think this is right. I looked at my current game and tagged over to the Soviets. Look at all that strategic redeployment from the front line! And then there are a huge number of forces in the center redeploying back to the front. Japan and Russia are not at war, but Russia has more than half it's armies on the Japanese front.

Note: in my current game I buffed the Soviets +3 in the custom rules because I was tired of seeing them steam-rolled by 1941. When I buffed them +2 they survived until 1943, these games are on historical. But the buffs mean nothing if they're just shuffling troops around. Can't believe there hasn't been any comment by paradox. No wait, I can believe it.

MYXCJLr.jpg

dON8ea6.jpg

7tB2Ooq.jpg

I mean, all of the Turkish leaders should be field marshals but whatever

Also, Fevzi Çakmak, a man who was not a fascist and is the fascist leader- at least give him a goddamned portrait will you?

Hey, love Man of Guns. Only suggestion would be to make it so the player can assign an admiral to a task force. This way the player can use more admirals and it adds to the realism a bit, just like the army.

Anyway that's my worthless opinion, hope ya bastads listen to me! :D

Take care guys, good job with MTGs

Cheers for the DD Andy, and great work on the continued improvements :D. Great to see some thought being put into appropriate ratios of screens and caps (and, at the very least at first glance, those improved numbers look pretty good).

For a 'thematically appropriate' naval-related pic for a tech lead's dev diary that covers performance, here's a pic of a performance table for HACS (the main British large-calibre AA fire-control system) for their 4 inch shell fired from a Mk XIX 4 inch gun.

HACS performance table small.jpg

Can we get a multiplayer balancing fix on Japan's escalate the war decision vis a vis China's army reform? Declare war then sit around doing nothing and spend 25 PP each month to remove debuff and another 50PP to get 20% buff while China can't remove it's own debuff because of the steep army xp requirement.

There are no builds in multiplayer (except subjugate warlord which is both risky and prohibited in most games) that can remove the first tick of the debuff unless Japan attacks. With China having -50% debuff while Japan has +20%, it's way too skewed and (i dont think) it was intended to be this way (AI doesn't cheese like players would).

Either increase the PP cost on Japan's side; or increase the cooldown; or only allow Ichigo in 1944 (historical); or allow ichigo ONLY after X% of VP's are captured (or X coastal cities captured).
Alternatively,
China's army reform can be 50 -> 100 -> 150. Doesn't change the total.
(or 75 -> 100 -> 125 if 50 for initial tick if 50 is too low)