• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone!

I'm writing this dev diary in the hours before the official release of Green Planet. The air is heavy with anticipation. As I look back, it seems as if ages have passed since we started working on Green Planet. We started with a vision of what the terraforming of Mars would look like, and explored what efforts would it take for humans to achieve it, and how we would simulate all of this in our game.

1.png

We knew that terraforming parameters would be necessary, as any such endeavor would require a method of measurement. We knew that climate change should occur and that it should carry both positive and negative effects. We envisioned drastic changes in the scenery, a metamorphosis of the barren sands into lush green forests. These were the pillars that we started building on.

Initially, we thought that it would be unrealistic to speed-up the terraforming process so that we skip the hundreds of years required for the planet to stabilize until humans can live on it freely. We considered concluding the terraforming of Mars at the point where the initial stages have passed – the planetary climate is more stable, but humans still have to utilize protective equipment to venture outside of their habitats. They would benefit from the newly formed forests and lakes, but still live in domes and require life support.

After playtesting this idea, we realized we were missing something. All of the terraforming effort by the player results in an unsatisfactory outcome. So, back to the drawing board!

2.png

The main question was what would be the technical cost of removing the domes entirely once the player has achieved 100% terraforming. As some of you (wink, wink, modders) are aware, many of the game logic is related to the way the domes operate. After all consideration, the end goal was weighted against the cost and we decided that the fun of the players was above everything. As such, the ultimate goal to create a Breathable Atmosphere with, all of its consequences, was shaped as it is in-game.

Once you have secured Earth-like conditions for life, an automated message will inform you that your Colony has achieved a hospitable environment. You'll need a lot of terraforming progress for this - 95% Atmosphere and 50% Temperature, but the fireworks are worth it. You now have the choice to open your domes for the new Martian environment, or you can keep the domes up if you want.

If you decide that your Colony is ready to make this gigantic leap of faith, a built-in self-destruct mechanism will be triggered in all domes, which will quickly dissolve the polymeric substances in their cupolas. Then their metallic frames will be demolished and replaced with trees. Congratulations, you've just opened your Domes for the Martian atmosphere!

3.png

They no longer require oxygen or passage connections. Your colonists will visit nearby open domes that are in the area of their home and will walk around without pressure suits.

4.png

And now you can finally construct your Capital City. The Capital City is the sole unique building in Green Planet. It's the largest dome possible and it can be placed on rough terrain. Just the center plaza and one of the pipe connection shafts need to be placed on flat surface. Just be sure to keep the atmosphere breathable! The Capital City has no built-in safe mechanisms and your colonists can easily suffocate if the terraforming parameters fall below a critical threshold.

5.png

Congratulations, you have completed terraforming for the first time! I bet you can't wait to do it again! And for myself, I'm going to pop a cold one and cherish the release of Green Planet, while waiting to hear what you think about it. I’m eager to hear from you in the comments!

See you all on the Green Planet!

Ivan Grozev,
Lead Designer,
Green Planet

Can we have roads (drones and people will travel faster), colony vehicles - vehicles colonists can ride/drive to get to places (even nasa had Moon Rovers) and the ability to build dome structures outside once the enviroment is stable

I would argue that 95% on Atmosphere is a pretty unnecessarily high bar.

Sea level pressure is 101.33 kPa A. At 5000 ft (1526 meters) it is 84.33 kPa A. At 10000 feet or 3050 meters (a level quite a few humans live at) the pressure is only 69.64 kPa A.

By setting the bar at the minimal levels for human cities, you can make the terraforming go slower, and still get the satisfying dome opening, without having to terraform to earth standard.

Highest Capital City In The World
Though La Paz does not make it to our list of the ten highest settlements on Earth, La Paz, the capital of Bolivia qualifies as the highest capital city in the world. The city is located 11,975 feet above sea level. The city beats Quito, the capital city of Ecuador by only 2,000 feet. La Paz houses a population of 2.3 million people making it one of the most populated highest cities in the world. *https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/which-are-the-highest-cities-in-the-world.html

Sea level pressure is 101.33 kPa A. At 5000 ft (1526 meters) it is 84.33 kPa A. At 10000 feet or 3050 meters (a level quite a few humans live at) the pressure is only 69.64 kPa A.

By setting the bar at the minimal levels for human cities, you can make the terraforming go slower, and still get the satisfying dome opening, without having to terraform to earth standard.

Though La Paz does not make it to our list of the ten highest settlements on Earth, La Paz, the capital of Bolivia qualifies as the highest capital city in the world. The city is located 11,975 feet above sea level. The city beats Quito, the capital city of Ecuador by only 2,000 feet. La Paz houses a population of 2.3 million people making it one of the most populated highest cities in the world. *https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/which-are-the-highest-cities-in-the-world.html
Atmo is the easiest parameter to get up. Its buildings push the most change per sol by a huge amount. In my current game I'm at 90% atmo and the next highest is temp at 50%. The only reason temp is that high is because of the 10% bumps from the solar sail project.

Well, atmosphere isn't given in absolute units (to my knowledge) , so you can imagine that that 95% is the minimum pressure level at which people can just barely safely live, and that the 100% mark is sort of an "eh, we don't really care beyond here, we know it's safe" level, not sea level pressure.

Hi everyone!

I'm writing this dev diary in the hours before the official release of Green Planet. The air is heavy with anticipation. As I look back, it seems as if ages have passed since we started working on Green Planet. We started with a vision of what the terraforming of Mars would look like, and explored what efforts would it take for humans to achieve it, and how we would simulate all of this in our game.

View attachment 480841

We knew that terraforming parameters would be necessary, as any such endeavor would require a method of measurement. We knew that climate change should occur and that it should carry both positive and negative effects. We envisioned drastic changes in the scenery, a metamorphosis of the barren sands into lush green forests. These were the pillars that we started building on.

Initially, we thought that it would be unrealistic to speed-up the terraforming process so that we skip the hundreds of years required for the planet to stabilize until humans can live on it freely. We considered concluding the terraforming of Mars at the point where the initial stages have passed – the planetary climate is more stable, but humans still have to utilize protective equipment to venture outside of their habitats. They would benefit from the newly formed forests and lakes, but still live in domes and require life support.

After playtesting this idea, we realized we were missing something. All of the terraforming effort by the player results in an unsatisfactory outcome. So, back to the drawing board!

View attachment 480842

The main question was what would be the technical cost of removing the domes entirely once the player has achieved 100% terraforming. As some of you (wink, wink, modders) are aware, many of the game logic is related to the way the domes operate. After all consideration, the end goal was weighted against the cost and we decided that the fun of the players was above everything. As such, the ultimate goal to create a Breathable Atmosphere with, all of its consequences, was shaped as it is in-game.

Once you have secured Earth-like conditions for life, an automated message will inform you that your Colony has achieved a hospitable environment. You'll need a lot of terraforming progress for this - 95% Atmosphere and 50% Temperature, but the fireworks are worth it. You now have the choice to open your domes for the new Martian environment, or you can keep the domes up if you want.

If you decide that your Colony is ready to make this gigantic leap of faith, a built-in self-destruct mechanism will be triggered in all domes, which will quickly dissolve the polymeric substances in their cupolas. Then their metallic frames will be demolished and replaced with trees. Congratulations, you've just opened your Domes for the Martian atmosphere!

View attachment 480843

They no longer require oxygen or passage connections. Your colonists will visit nearby open domes that are in the area of their home and will walk around without pressure suits.

View attachment 480844

And now you can finally construct your Capital City. The Capital City is the sole unique building in Green Planet. It's the largest dome possible and it can be placed on rough terrain. Just the center plaza and one of the pipe connection shafts need to be placed on flat surface. Just be sure to keep the atmosphere breathable! The Capital City has no built-in safe mechanisms and your colonists can easily suffocate if the terraforming parameters fall below a critical threshold.

View attachment 480845

Congratulations, you have completed terraforming for the first time! I bet you can't wait to do it again! And for myself, I'm going to pop a cold one and cherish the release of Green Planet, while waiting to hear what you think about it. I’m eager to hear from you in the comments!

See you all on the Green Planet!

Ivan Grozev,
Lead Designer,
Green Planet

If you open your domes at safe levels, will they close if you fall below those safe levels?